Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

Hi andrew sorry to disapoint you but I'm from may 08 batch 1 and just completed my pct this morning! However I did have the interview in july.

God The Dude 87, you are so lucky to be so far on.... If not Nov you will definately be in for Feb. Im from May batch 2 & had my interview end of August, I was hoping to be in for Feb, if I pass medical & PCT, but now it could be May or Aug :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

How detailed is the medical questionaire that you fill out at the medical ? Do you have to list every injury,scar,problem that you've had. Do they contact your GP and if so what do they ask him/her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

jos28 wrote: »
    How detailed is the medical questionaire that you fill out at the medical ? Do you have to list every injury,scar,problem that you've had. Do they contact your GP and if so what do they ask him/her?

Its is very very detailed!! Every scar, x-ray or whatever they want to know about it!

Do they check all your scars and decide which ones they want details of, or it is up to you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

jos28 wrote: »
    Do they check all your scars and decide which ones they want details of, or it is up to you ?

they only want to know about scars from operations other scars they dont want to know about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

this is my first post. in the same boat as quite a few of ye here, still waiting to be called for the medical. from may 08 batch 1. rang hq yesterday and was told that my checks were done but my file wasn't reviewed yet and that with the cutbacks i should aim for the second half of next year i.e. august. wasn't the happiest when i was told that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Howya Harvey - you will see from the posts that there are lots of people waiting having completed everything up to and including PCT. With only 100 or so places each intake next year I would say they could nearly fill those with people ahead of you in the system. Average wait is a year at the moment and that will only get longer. Pull up a chair and wait with the rest of us!

Cheers paolo. don't mind the waiting as long as its worth while but i may have issues with the medical due to an operation in had over ten years ago so i'm sure that will delay things even more.

soundlad wrote: »
    they only want to know about scars from operations other scars they dont want to know about.

Thanks, Soundlad. Might have needed extra paper if every injury/scar was to be listed.

whats this about wanting to know about x-rays? i must have my own cabinet full of old x-rays from a young age till now from sporting injuries. had a few cracked bones but nothing serious. how could this effect my medical?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Hi all,

Was just reading through other post and was wondering would anyone have any views on:

If I was to appeal the medical? I failed due to BMI and that was May 08. Do u think it is too late to appeal now or will I just go back to the start!!! Hate the waititng I know it will be worth it but just having to go through the whole thing again is so dissapointing:(
    Would it look bad if I was to appeal? and then they might frown upon it on my nxt application??

Anyone know someone who was successful on an appeal on BMI???
    Thanks guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Mun23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was just reading through other post and was wondering would anyone have any views on:

If I was to appeal the medical? I failed due to BMI and that was May 08. Do u think it is too late to appeal now or will I just go back to the start!!! Hate the waititng I know it will be worth it but just having to go through the whole thing again is so dissapointing:(
    Would it look bad if I was to appeal? and then they might frown upon it on my nxt application??

Thanks guys...

id assume BMI is a very hard thing to appeal against as it dosent really have a 'grey' area.

But in all fairness it's your own fault in the end...fail to prepare , prepare to fail ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »

But in all fairness it's your own fault in the end...fail to prepare , prepare to fail ect.

Harsh mason, but true. A lot of people lost a serious amount of weight to get into the guards, some people I have heard of lost 4 stone or more! I would imagine an appeal on a BMI failure will get nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Originally Posted by Mun23 viewpost.gif
    Hi all,

If I was to appeal the medical? I failed due to BMI and that was May 08. Do u think it is too late to appeal now or will I just go back to the start!!! Hate the waititng I know it will be worth it but just having to go through the whole thing again is so dissapointingfrown.gif

Thanks guys...
    Are they sure they actually failed you?
    Some people have only got "deffered" for failing BMI. So they were told to go and lose some weight and prove within 6 months that they are down to an acceptable figure. You may not have to re-do the medical. Try giving them a call and clarify if you were actually deffered or failed. If it was a straight fail then i doubt there is much you can do but re-apply.

Ok thanks for the replies!
    Mason: I did try very hard, aerobix , weights, swimming 3/4 times a week got it down a bit but unfortunatly I didnt reach my goal that time.tThings happened faster that I had thought

AmcsKeane: Yes it was BMI, Do u actually know of people who got defferred for BMI? How come some people get deferred and some have to start back, not a very equal approach dont u think? Its good to know, I might ring them again just keep gettin too upset every time I call its hard to talk. Still trainin away it just seems unfair that some people can defer and some have to start back @ start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

It's really down to the doctors descretion. We all say that you should be under 30 bmi when doing the medical but if are at 30.5 or 31 and have a big muscular build then the doctor might defer you or just ask you to lose a little weight before they pass you. However if you walk in and have a BMI of 34 or 35 they will just take one look and say sorry you've failed and thats it. As far as an appeal goes, they tend to very rarely be sucessfully and take a long time to go through so it minght be quicker to just re-apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Mason: I did try very hard, aerobix , weights, swimming 3/4 times a week got it down a bit but unfortunatly I didnt reach my goal that time.tThings happened faster that I had thought

Yeah i wasnt attacking you, though it may have sounded harsh from me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 legend1981

get you rdoc to give ya the once over... im sure hell be able to tall ya if you r a flop...hahaah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

Paolo5 wrote: »
    I am from Jan '08. Passed PCT last week. Waiting for offer.

very good. hope u get thru soon. that was quite a wait. any reason why?

i'm hoping for Feb 09 intake myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kc12

To be honest I was in a similar boat. Had a BMI of 33 or so and when I applied, I knew I would not get in so made a decision to lose as much as possible.

had a medical a moth ago and had a bmi of 26. Worked to get it down. Trained hard around 8 sessions a week. some mornings went jogging and did weights in the evening.

I have no sympaty for people who fail because they should have known they had to lose the weight.

To put it bluntly (and i mean no offence): failure is a not a result of bad luck it is because of lack of adequate effort.

• Advertisement

Ya id say ill just start again at least I have the experience of going thru everything and ill know better next time!
    Does anyone know when the campagne is open again to re apply?? I heard Nov but not sure... ???

tigerman2k wrote: »
    very good. hope u get thru soon. that was quite a wait. any reason why?

i'm hoping for Feb 09 intake myself.

9 months to a year is the average wait and it is getting longer and longer.

No reason I am sure - just takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    OMG I just rang Garda HQ there just to see how my application was coming on. My backround checks are still going on, but what shocked me was the amount of people in front of me. Well over 1200. God I didnt realise. Im still waiting on medical and Id say Ill be a long, long time waiting. Im from May 08 comp. Anybody in the same boat?:(

Hey bettyboo....aghhh that is the news I dreaded....i'm from May 08 too and I've been afraid to phone them to hear something horrible like that!! Now I'm not gonna bother. I had a year in mind from applying to getting in but with 1200 ahead looks like its gonna be alot longer. But the only thing is alot of people get fed up of waiting and people fail medical and physical. Man i'm not in a good mood now and this weather aint helping!! Least we're all in the same boat. What I don't understand though is how come some people fly through the process and others take forever. I know background checks have alot to do with it, it just annoys me sometimes!! :rolleyes: ok I'll start breathing again!! oh yeah and I'm still waiting for medical...do you think it's worth ringing them?? Personally I'm wondering if there is a point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Hi pink star, r u from batch 1 or batch 2? There is a guy on boards from batch 1 that has his physical done I think. Im the same as you, when I applied I did not think it took this long :( My head is fried waiting already. I had my heart kinda set on Feb, but now it could be way later. I was kinda sorry for ringing after I wasn't expecting that, but I suppose it gives us longer to work on fittness etc. It would be very interesting to see what they say to you if yo rang them??!! 01-6661644 is the number if want to give them a buzz.

Hmmm I might get the courage up later and phone them. I'll go have a bit of lunch to work myself up to ring them!! Ahhh I suppose your right it is giving us more time the get the fitness up to scratch...i'm outta action for awhile rolled my ankle sunday night...what can i say, sky high heels and with the help of drink you end up flat on your face...funny really!!! I'm from batch 2! Yeah saw that guy saying he had done his physical...I wonder has he contacts on the inside its all a bit suspicious!! Will let you know what HR say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevo0489

Can anyone tell me if you have done your medical 6 months before you get called to go in do you have to do it again.

The thing is i done my medical in june and have accepted i wont get nov so feb looks more realistic. In that case i would have done my medical more than 6 months ago.

I heard somewhere that this is the case. Does anyone Know????

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

kevo0489 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you have done your medical 6 months before you get called to go in do you have to do it again.

The thing is i done my medical in june and have accepted i wont get nov so feb looks more realistic. In that case i would have done my medical more than 6 months ago.

I heard somewhere that this is the case. Does anyone Know????

I read that in a previous post that you would have to do it again after the 6 months. I would ring HR about that, did you do PCT? Are your background checks cleared etc....:confused:

It is my understanding that they only call you for the medical if they are ready to take you at the next intake ie if you get called for the medical in Jan 09 they will have a place for you in the Feb 09 intake (obviously pct has to be done too).

Can anyone tell me if this is the case?

I'd hate to think you'd be called for the medical and then have to wait another few months for an offer.

This is only my opinion and not based on any official facts but your understanding is wrong.

You are called for a medical when you checks are complete or they expect them to complete very soon after.

When your called for a medical it is just the next stage of the process and no guarantee what so ever that you have a place in the next batch.

There is a major bottle neck forming now and there must be 100's having completed everything and just waiting on the call. With only 400 spaces in '09 the wait is going to be very long for most.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is the way I see it ... I wish it worked as you thought!

Paolo5 wrote: »
    This is only my opinion and not based on any official facts but your understanding is wrong.

You are called for a medical when you checks are complete or they expect them to complete very soon after.

When your called for a medical it is just the next stage of the process and no guarantee what so ever that you have a place in the next batch.

There is a major bottle neck forming now and there must be 100's having completed everything and just waiting on the call. With only 400 spaces in '09 the wait is going to be very long for most.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is the way I see it ... I wish it worked as you thought!

Cheers Paolo. I just rang HQ there and they confirmed what you said. the medical is done when they expect your background checks to be completed soon but you are by no means assured of a place in the next intake. Mine are ongoing btw so I'm way off. This could be a long long wait.

How did your medical etc go? do you have any idea of your start date yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kevo0489

I read that in a previous post that you would have to do it again after the 6 months. I would ring HR about that, did you do PCT? Are your background checks cleared etc....:confused:

Yeah have medical done in june and pct since july. Every time i ring them they say theres still one "infamous" check to come back. Ill give them a ring regarding the medical . cheers

Advertisement