Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

well done to all you who have been called for medis as indeed you are the lucky ones. its fact and i know its been said before but its now official that only 100 peeps will be in intakes from now on however the ray of light is that the intakes are going to continue for 2.5 years so 1000 of will be called. interviews and actual recruitment campaigns are parked indefinitley -- FACT

Has there actually been any official confirmation that recruitment is frozen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

LeSurfer wrote: »
    cheers for that horse,

i had my operation over 20 years ago, think im gonna go to a doctor and have it scaned before i go for my med so they won't deferred me on the day of medical.

ya get it scanned and have the results with you on the day. it looks like i might have to get more xrays done on the area so they are satisfied everything is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

hey. got the phone call yesterday for the med. bit out of the blue as i was told to aim for the second half of next year. had an op over 12 years ago so expecting to get deferred but least the balls rollin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

harvey180 wrote: »
    hey. got the phone call yesterday for the med. bit out of the blue as i was told to aim for the second half of next year. had an op over 12 years ago so expecting to get deferred but least the balls rollin again.

Thats great-congrats! What campaign and batch are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

cheers old ball. from may 08 batch 1. i'm still expecting next aug/nov but it will be nice to get all the stages out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

I know, I couldnt believe it when they rang:eek:-i'd been trying to put it to the back of my mind and didnt expect to get a call till the new year! anyone know if they take blood tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I read some of the thread but its really long lol, was just wondering how long after the medical do you normally have to wait before you get called.
    My brother got his phonecall this morning saying he has the medical on the 4th of december.
    He done the apptitude in june-july if I remember correctly, dont know if that changes anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

old_ball wrote: »
    I know, I couldnt believe it when they rang:eek:-i'd been trying to put it to the back of my mind and didnt expect to get a call till the new year! anyone know if they take blood tests?

no, they don't take blood tests, just urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Did anyone from May batch 2 get a medical date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

I'm batch 2 myself but my background checks only started to be done this week. So I think I'll be waiting a good while yet.

• Advertisement

When did you do your interview Paddy? And how do you know your background checks only started this wk if ya dont mind me asking? :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    When did you do your interview Paddy? And how do you know your background checks only started this wk if ya dont mind me asking? :)

Interview was in October. I got a phone call from HQ asking for some more information on a family member, they told me they were only just starting the background checks and would be in touch.
    What about yourself were you at?

I had my interview in August and just sitting tight waiting since. Im trying not to think about it because its so frustrating but there are so many of us in the same boat. Id like to hear something though just so I know its moving along! :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I had my interview in August and just sitting tight waiting since. Im trying not to think about it because its so frustrating but there are so many of us in the same boat. Id like to hear something though just so I know its moving along! :)

I was doing the same not thinking about it until I got the call. Now I can't stop thinking about it in case they be back looking for more information. But at least one good point I know something is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

When you pass your medical you go over to the appointments building to book your PCT. Depending on timing you could have your medical 2 weeks laters or 6-8 weeks later. I would guess there will be PCT dates in mid January.

Even when you pass both there is still a wait but as you say good to have evrything done and wait for the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Hi guys i am having some work done on my teeth.. i was just wondering are there any conditions regarding your teeth which could fail the medical... any help greatly appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

keith101 wrote: »
    Hi guys i am having some work done on my teeth.. i was just wondering are there any conditions regarding your teeth which could fail the medical... any help greatly appreciated...

no i wouldnt think so, they just have a quick look in your mouth . i think its just to check if you need any work done that would rule you out of attending lectures for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ricksplace

Hey, guess i will join the long q now, got the call thursday for Dec 4th Medical. Done the interview in July. Really wasnt expecting call before new year. Will be glad to get it out of the way as just squeezed in at age cut off, so was worried about having to do PCT with zimmer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

hi got called for the medical the other day. just wondering if anyone what exactly they examion you on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ricksplace

lancerwall wrote: »
    hi got called for the medical the other day. just wondering if anyone what exactly they examion you on

Hey, if you go back 3/4 pages there is a good discription of what goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

keith101 wrote: »

they didnt look at my teeth depends on doc i presume:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nelly84

hi all have my medical on the 2nd december, i read that you only need to be able to read the first 3 lines unaided and once you are able to read the rest with your glasses on you are ok...is this true and if it is true is it just one of those charts that the use in a doctors surgry? if it is how far away from the chart do you need to be standing? im trying to get an idea if i need to get lazer surgry or not. im beginning to freak out incase i do cause for one i cant afford it and secondly the toughts of the surgry makes me feel ill!! if any one that has done the medical could please let me know so i will have myself prepared foor the bad news of failing becasue of my eyesight? Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

nelly84 wrote: »
    hi all have my medical on the 2nd december, i read that you only need to be able to read the first 3 lines unaided and once you are able to read the rest with your glasses on you are ok...is this true and if it is true is it just one of those charts that the use in a doctors surgry? if it is how far away from the chart do you need to be standing? im trying to get an idea if i need to get lazer surgry or not. im beginning to freak out incase i do cause for one i cant afford it and secondly the toughts of the surgry makes me feel ill!! if any one that has done the medical could please let me know so i will have myself prepared foor the bad news of failing becasue of my eyesight? Thanks !

your short sighted so same as myself..wear glasses when driving or reading the board..yeah its just first few lines not the tiny ****in..g ones:pac:...you stand about 3-4meters from chart..your eyesight would have to be very bad to fail...and if you do they give you the chance to get laser done and come back so dont get it done is what i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

good luck everyone with medicals coming. if you have any questions give me a shout :cool: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

have mine on the 3rd. now i've got a detailed report from the hospital on my left foot operation from over 20 years ago,do i still need to have it x-rayed? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 D.B.Y

Hi all,
    I was batch 2 may08 and I passed by interview in August and I have yet to hear anything about a medical.
    Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

D.B.Y wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was batch 2 may08 and I passed by interview in August and I have yet to hear anything about a medical.
    Should I be worried?

Hi DBY Im the exact same as you and I rang and was told Id have to allow 6 months for background checks, so hopefully the new year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

me too DBY,

rang the office the other day, check stillin place, my local super reckons may at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

I got a call 2 meet the super today, but I thought Id everything done cause I met with the local guard before he sent off my background checks?! He said head office rang and wanted it done asap to process the application asap. Did this happen 2 any1 else??
    Im waiting on a medical!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

I was called in to clarify a few things about the family!

All sorted though but they might ask you about you or your families back round checks - just a guess though ;)

Advertisement