Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

soundlad wrote: »
    well done dude 87. its a huge relief isnt it. you all set for pct

Sure is, isn't it!!!:D Well I would like to think I am anyway....what about yourself?? you heading down on the 22nd aswell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Sure is, isn't it!!!:D Well I would like to think I am anyway....what about yourself?? you heading down on the 22nd aswell??

you hoping to get in for the November intake? Have you heard from HQ if there are still spaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

pvt.joker wrote: »
    you hoping to get in for the November intake? Have you heard from HQ if there are still spaces?

Was hoping for it but when I did the medical on thursday he said november is full at the moment so the next one would be feburary which suits me better anyway. So we will see what happens, dont mind waiting as long as everything is done!

Was hoping for it but when I did the medical on thursday he said november is full at the moment so the next one would be feburary which suits me better anyway. So we will see what happens, dont mind waiting as long as everything is done!

ya never know though. I was told the same thing, then 3 days before the intake I got a call to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

pvt.joker wrote: »
    ya never know though. I was told the same thing, then 3 days before the intake I got a call to start!

must have rly scraped the barrel there then ey? :p

• Advertisement

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    must have rly scraped the barrel there then ey? :p

shut up ya gobsh*te :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

Hi guys had my med yesterday all went well apart from 1 thing!! my right eye wasnt as good as my left, it was just under the requirement, its supposed to be 6/9 or higher. Just a warning to you all dont take it for granted that your eyesight is fine. get it checked before your med. last time i got my eyes checked (it was a while ago) they were fine and i have never worn or needed to wear glasses.

anyway all that was needed was a report from an optician to say my eyesight will be better with a lense. got the report so just waiting on a call back now to say everything is ok. fingers crossed and best of luck to anyone going for there meds soon. for the girls the women up there couldnt be nicer and you have nothing to be worried about. for the men im sure ye're doctors are lovely too!! :D

Congrats Dub Chick!!!

Hi lollydoodles

Just wondering if they called you back after you sent in your opticians report? I'm in the same boat as you, had to get some eye sight related stuff together and will be faxing up on monday. Wondering how quick they are to reply when you've been through the full medical and its just one item outstanding? I haven't seen the opticians report yet, bricking it - hoping it is satisfactory like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lollydoodles

Spudley wrote: »
    Hi lollydoodles

Just wondering if they called you back after you sent in your opticians report? I'm in the same boat as you, had to get some eye sight related stuff together and will be faxing up on monday. Wondering how quick they are to reply when you've been through the full medical and its just one item outstanding? I haven't seen the opticians report yet, bricking it - hoping it is satisfactory like.

Hey Spudley, How are you? i got a call on friday to say i was medically fit and got a date for my pct, also had a test run at the pct yesterday morning in templemore which went well. when i left hq tuesday i went straight to specsavers and got tests done on my eyes got the report from the optician to say my right eye would be ok with a contact lense and i brought the letter straight back to hq. the doctor there was so busy tho she didnt get a chance to sign it off till thursday evening (i rang everyday haha). that was the only thing i had outstanding. you will be fine. when you fax it up monday ring straight away to make sure they have recieved it and just keep following up on it then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DecyD1

just wondering what number in batch 1 of the may competitions have been called for the medicals has any1 been called hu had there interview in auguest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

hey all. had the medical last week. got deferred. i had an operation on my leg about ten years ago and the doctor in hq said that she wants all the results from scans and doctor reports before she passes me. anyone ever heard of this happening. i mean my leg is grand. i play football and am quite fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Hey Spudley, How are you? i got a call on friday to say i was medically fit and got a date for my pct, also had a test run at the pct yesterday morning in templemore which went well. when i left hq tuesday i went straight to specsavers and got tests done on my eyes got the report from the optician to say my right eye would be ok with a contact lense and i brought the letter straight back to hq. the doctor there was so busy tho she didnt get a chance to sign it off till thursday evening (i rang everyday haha). that was the only thing i had outstanding. you will be fine. when you fax it up monday ring straight away to make sure they have recieved it and just keep following up on it then. :D

hey lollydoodles. how did you get on doing the pct yesterday. wat did you think of it ? do you if they are letting people go down this week any time to see it and practise it ??

some interesting reading about the publics opinion on the gardai. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidkfeyidkf/rss2/

hey lollydoodles. how did you get on doing the pct yesterday. wat did you think of it ? do you if they are letting people go down this week any time to see it and practise it ??

Hi Soundland, got on grand yesterday thanks, push pull wasnt as hard as id expected. to be honest when you look at the course and see someone doing it it looks easy enuf but found it tiring on the third lap.

i dont know if you can go down during the week, to be honest i didnt know a thing about it till i rang to book my pct friday, the lad on the phone just said that there was an information/practice run of the course for the girls because there was such a high failure rate. you only get one chance at it now. so he just advised that i go. when is your pct?

Hi Soundland, got on grand yesterday thanks, push pull wasnt as hard as id expected. to be honest when you look at the course and see someone doing it it looks easy enuf but found it tiring on the third lap.

i dont know if you can go down during the week, to be honest i didnt know a thing about it till i rang to book my pct friday, the lad on the phone just said that there was an information/practice run of the course for the girls because there was such a high failure rate. you only get one chance at it now. so he just advised that i go. when is your pct?

did you get timed going around the course ? pct is on the 22nd how about you ? maybe its only girls they give practice runs to . you more confident after going down and doing it ?

did you get timed going around the course ? pct is on the 22nd how about you ? maybe its only girls they give practice runs to . you more confident after going down and doing it ?

im more confident alright because i know exactly whats ahead. got timed and done it in 3 minutes which is not fantastic but i think its great for someone who hasnt worked out in a while:D have my pct on the 22nd at 2.00pm. u nervous about it?

im more confident alright because i know exactly whats ahead. got timed and done it in 3 minutes which is not fantastic but i think its great for someone who hasnt worked out in a while:D have my pct on the 22nd at 2.00pm. u nervous about it?

must be great to know that you have done it under the time allowed and now you can practice bit more before it. you ill be grand. ye i am nervous really want this and be heart breaking to fail at this stage now.

must be great to know that you have done it under the time allowed and now you can practice bit more before it. you ill be grand. ye i am nervous really want this and be heart breaking to fail at this stage now.

Im the same this is my 3rd time applying and it will be horrible to get this far and then fall at the last hurdle. it might not be any harm for you to ring hq and see if they are doing practice runs again on saturday, im sure if there was some interest there it would be no problem. no harm and trying anyway.:D

Im the same this is my 3rd time applying and it will be horrible to get this far and then fall at the last hurdle. it might not be any harm for you to ring hq and see if they are doing practice runs again on saturday, im sure if there was some interest there it would be no problem. no harm and trying anyway.:D

does anyone have the number of hq or the number of the department i could ring to see if they are doing practice runs ? is there medicals going on this week too ??

does anyone have the number of hq or the number of the department i could ring to see if they are doing practice runs ? is there medicals going on this week too ??

The number on the garda website for recruitment is 01-6662357, i think thats the number i have at home too. dont know about medicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

Hi i got the letter about passing my interview on tuesday last week - my interview was on the 26th of sept.
    is anyone else on the same kind of time frame? i
    m guessing i should be aiming for the jan/feb intake - does anyone know will the med & pct for that intake be around now or maybe in december?
    im not too worried about the medical my bmi is around 21 although i had laser surgery on my eyes when i was 18 (im 24 now) - does anyone know do i need doctor letters from that or is only if i had it done recently?
    thanks

• Advertisement

The number on the garda website for recruitment is 01-6662357, i think thats the number i have at home too. dont know about medicals.

thanks lollydoodles. what way did you approach the pct when you went down. did u go as fast as u could for all the laps or just careful doing it ?

thanks lollydoodles. what way did you approach the pct when you went down. did u go as fast as u could for all the laps or just careful doing it ?

i just did it as quick as i could. i dont know would you be better taking it easy the first lap and then going hell for leather on your second and third or just going for it straight away. at the end of the day tho it doesnt matter wether you do it in 2minutes or 3minutes 19seconds your still getting the same place as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

fireblade1 wrote: »
    Hi i got the letter about passing my interview on tuesday last week - my interview was on the 26th of sept.
    is anyone else on the same kind of time frame? i
    m guessing i should be aiming for the jan/feb intake - does anyone know will the med & pct for that intake be around now or maybe in december?
    im not too worried about the medical my bmi is around 21 although i had laser surgery on my eyes when i was 18 (im 24 now) - does anyone know do i need doctor letters from that or is only if i had it done recently?
    thanks

Hi Fireblade, I had my interview on Aug 29th. Im hoping for Feb intake as well, but they wont be running pcts & meds again till Jan. It will mainly depend on whether background checks are cleared or not.
    Dont no about the laser, sorry.

i just did it as quick as i could. i dont know would you be better taking it easy the first lap and then going hell for leather on your second and third or just going for it straight away. at the end of the day tho it doesnt matter wether you do it in 2minutes or 3minutes 19seconds your still getting the same place as everyone else.

i know any time under 3 mins 20 seconds will do even if it is only by a second. what did you find the most difficult obstacle in the course when you done it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chesera

JOT wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Havent been on the site for a while. I did my aptitude test in may, did my interview on the 15th aug. Just wondering if anyone has similar dates and has heard about their medical exam. Im still waiting for the call.
    Cheers.
    Jack.:)

hi Jack. Am in from May, did interview in late July. Got word about 2 weeks ago about medical on Oct. 22nd. Looks like it'll be February intake at least.
    Chin up. IT WILL HAPPEN everyone here seems to be talking, having already done medical. and wondering about PCT. U n me seem to be the furthest back. Am fairly fit. My BMI is under if anything. Am tall with weight of 12 stone. can too low BMI fail you? Will fairly fit, and being male get you through the PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevo0489

i know any time under 3 mins 20 seconds will do even if it is only by a second. what did you find the most difficult obstacle in the course when you done it ?

soundlad just in case you didnt know, that if you get under 3 mins it means you have to push 10% less on the push pull machine. So youre better off trying to beat the 3 min barrier if you can. Altough thats only mainly an incentive for girls as alot fail on the push pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 google08

I had the interview on the 23/09/08 and I received confirmation that I passed on the 03/10/08. I rang up the headquarters and they told me that they have started background checks on me a month ago and it takes min three months so I was told it would be slim chance that I would make Feb and more of a realistic chance that May will be my time unfortunately. Has anyone heard any differently?
    I heard a rumour that someone who had passed Interview, PCT, medical and was due to start November then got a letter that the November intake was postponed indefinitely. Can anyone confirm this for me please? I was thinking that if this is postponed that it will have an affect on any other intakes being pushed back. Thanks

i wouldn't say there was a difficult part, all the parts are well doable, you just might be faster running around cones then some are you might find it easier to climb over the gate than some. did you ring hq to find out about a practice run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Goggle08!!!

I wouldnt listen too much to rumours! Im more worried about today's budget and what it will mean for Garda recruitment! According to an article in today's Indo (tabloid pg 15), FG are against the slashing of Garda funds but thats not to say it wont happen! In the current wave of recruitment there have been regular campaigns drives every 3-4 months eg. Oct 07, Jan 08, and May 08. There hasnt been one since May ie. 5 months ago so i reckon they could be coming under financial pressures and/or trying to shift the backlog, you wouldnt know! I suppose it'll be a lot clearer at 4 o'clock today!!!! :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Hi guys,

Just off the phone to HQ - they told me there will definitely not be any more medicals until late Jan early Feb next year!!

Advertisement