Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    Hi pink star, r u from batch 1 or batch 2? There is a guy on boards from batch 1 that has his physical done I think.

There is a few of us who are from batch 1 may08 and have everything done and just waiting on a phonecall for a start date! I did my medical 3 weeks ago and my pct last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

great to see all those names from earlier in the year waiting for the call!!!!!! good luck to all of yea

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Anyone from January 08 comp still waiting on anything ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it possible to go to a Doctor and say "I'm going for a Garda medical, can you tell me if I'll pass?" or is it sorta a case of just wait and see how it goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Random wrote: »
    Is it possible to go to a Doctor and say "I'm going for a Garda medical, can you tell me if I'll pass?" or is it sorta a case of just wait and see how it goes?

Great idea, Random. A bit like giving your car to a mechanic for a once over before your NCT.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

jos28 wrote: »
    Great idea, Random. A bit like giving your car to a mechanic for a once over before your NCT.:D
    That was the idea .. yah ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Well you can do your BMI yourself and an eye test free of charge through PRSI for starters!

They would be 2 of the biggest failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

do they do a very comprehensive bmi check, or is it simple weight Vs Height formula? Anyone know what the tolerances are like? I'm not a small bloke,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Normal BMI procedures / formula apply.

Over 30 = straight fail ... good luck ... unless a body builder etc

25 to 30 = can be ok if 'athletic'.

Anyone from January 08 comp still waiting on anything ?[/quote]

Just asking the question in case ye missed it first time around !!!

Are there any boardsies from the January 08 recruit competition still waiting for Meds, PCT etc ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 conorarmagh

Hey sunkissed, Im from the Jan 08 comp, still aint done a medical or pct, think its to do with the fact that im from the North, waiting on one check to go through yet, disaster or what! Whats ur situation? Took 10 full weeks just to get my interview result!

Hey sunkissed, Im from the Jan 08 comp, still aint done a medical or pct, think its to do with the fact that im from the North, waiting on one check to go through yet, disaster or what! Whats ur situation? Took 10 full weeks just to get my interview result!

Hey Conor,
    Cheers for the reply..I was beginning to think I was the only one from Jan 08 ! Oh yes, that infamous 'one more check' !! I've been told that as well. I have family living abroad so maybe that's the reason ?? No way !! 10 weeks of waiting, that must have been hell ! I had my interview result in less then a week so can't complain there..but I'll tell ya one thing - I've become very patient :) It's all a waiting game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

hi folks,haven't been on the site for a while. got a date for the med today.i had an operation on my left foot over 10 years ago,it left 7 stiches but it doesn't affect me in anyway as i play football and go to gym regularly,would the doc fail me for it? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

LeSurfer wrote: »
    hi folks,haven't been on the site for a while. got a date for the med today.i had an operation on my left foot over 10 years ago,it left 7 stiches but it doesn't affect me in anyway as i play football and go to gym regularly,would the doc fail me for it? cheers

Hey LeSufer good news you got a date at least for the med. Is it long before you do it? When would you have sat for your interiew?
    Anybody else getten dates or hear about how there background is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

paddymc1 wrote: »
    Hey LeSufer good news you got a date at least for the med. Is it long before you do it? When would you have sat for your interiew?
    Anybody else getten dates or hear about how there background is going on?

Got a medical date there today! Happy days!!! :D:D:D

Does this mean backround checks are completed, anyone!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

I also got a call today for the medical!!!:D Im thrilled! It means your backgound checks are complete or nearly complete!

I teach dancing 4 nights a week and get a rash on my back from sweating(I know its gross:o) I'm worried this could fail me?! ill have to go to a dermatoligist or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

Alias B wrote: »
    Got a medical date there today! Happy days!!! :D:D:D

Does this mean backround checks are completed, anyone!???

congratz alias b are you from jan08 or may 08,good luck with med:)

do hq ring from private numbers as i got a missed call today from a private number id imagine they would leave a voice mail wouldnt they????:(:confused:

andrew1985 wrote: »
    congratz alias b are you from jan08 or may 08,good luck with med:)

Thanks Andrew!

Im from May 08. :D

They rang from a private number this morning so chances are, it was them! Give em a shout back! :)

Thanks Andrew!

They rang from a private number this morning so chances are, it was them! Give em a shout back! :)

Will do,if you dont mind me asking when is your med roughly:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

I dont know how true this is but HQ just told me that background checks dont start til after the informal meeting so could anyone who just got a medical date tell me when they did the informal meeting? I only did mine 4wks ago so Im thinking im in for a long wait. Congrats to those who got a date :)

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I dont know how true this is but HQ just told me that background checks dont start til after the informal meeting so could anyone who just got a medical date tell me when they did the informal meeting? I only did mine 4wks ago so Im thinking im in for a long wait. Congrats to those who got a date :)

I only had my informal meeting with the super about a month ago too, and my backround checks had begun by that stage! I know this as my references had been rang and verified before this meeting.

My medicals Nov 2nd but he offered me the 9th either so theres a few spots open on that date at the moment!

I thought they had stopped doing medicals and PCTs until Jan!!!!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Thanks Alias! I presume you mean Dec? :) Yeah my refs were contacted before then aswel, so you never know I suppose.. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jillybean

I'll be waiting by the phone now, I was convinced that there were no more medicals until next year, hopefully my background checks are nearly done but you just never know how long they're going to take :confused:

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Thanks Alias! I presume you mean Dec? :) Yeah my refs were contacted before then aswel, so you never know I suppose.. Thanks again!

Yeah beoir, meant Dec!!!

Fingers x'd!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Thanks Andrew!

hi Alias, can i just ask what batch from May 08 r u from? i was in batch 2 so just wonderin do i hav a chance of gettin a call soon!

kojack wrote: »
    hi Alias, can i just ask what batch from May 08 r u from? i was in batch 2 so just wonderin do i hav a chance of gettin a call soon!

Batch 1 from May 08.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

LeSurfer wrote: »

hey lesurfer,

i had my medical in mid Oct. i had an operation over ten years ago and they deferred me until they get more up todate information from my doctor regarding it. it doesent affect me as i still play football but they still deferred. just have as muct information you can on the day of your medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

horse1 wrote: »
    hey lesurfer,

i had my medical in mid Oct. i had an operation over ten years ago and they deferred me until they get more up todate information from my doctor regarding it. it doesent affect me as i still play football but they still deferred. just have as muct information you can on the day of your medical

cheers for that horse,

i had my operation over 20 years ago, think im gonna go to a doctor and have it scaned before i go for my med so they won't deferred me on the day of medical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cork spunker

well done to all you who have been called for medis as indeed you are the lucky ones. its fact and i know its been said before but its now official that only 100 peeps will be in intakes from now on however the ray of light is that the intakes are going to continue for 2.5 years so 1000 of will be called. interviews and actual recruitment campaigns are parked indefinitley -- FACT

Advertisement