Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

axer wrote: »
    That is your fault then. Thats like saying if I have a painting that is worth millions but didnt realise it. I sell it to some guy for €10 and find out later that it is worth €1000 - do you think I should be allowed to take back the painting?

It's not like saying that at all. I knew the value of my car was €5000.

JimmyO wrote: »
    See post #173

Well post #173 just goes to show what kind of chancer you actually are.

Quoted:"What you're really asking is would I think the guy should stop his truck, reverse back up the road and say 'You know what, here's some more money for the hell of it.' Of course not. Fair play to him for getting a bargain due to my own stupidity."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I see two things here

1 Your card will not be charged is not the same as a refund. If you have not paid (card not yet charged) you have no contract and no cause for complaint.

2 You knew it was a mistake when you booked it. To suggest you didn't is outrageous. Thus trying to enforce the purchase is effectively attempted theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

eth0_ wrote: »
    This is really pathetic. If all these whingers really do take it further to get their 5 euro flight to the USA, chances are Aer Lingus will think twice about seat sales (I presume this error happened due to someone wrongly inputting the sale price).

So you're impacting on ALL aer lingus customers if you take action against them. Thanks, guys.

I have to ask, are you serious ? .. cause if you are, I really have no idea how you're on here as a mod.

Now that's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Well post #173 just goes to show what kind of chancer you actually are.

I have to strongly disagree. If anything it highlights that I'm more than prepared to accept resonsibility for my mistakes.

I don't think there's any call for you to slur my character.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    1 Your card will not be charged is not the same as a refund. If you have not paid (card not yet charged) you have no contract and no cause for complaint.

This is true. Has anyone actually been charged for these flights. That is, actually paid the money?

JimmyO wrote: »

I don't think there's any call for you to slur my character.

Fair enough, but what you are doing in my opinion is wrong and shows a lack of fairness on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jg1982

No, but Aer Lingus have authorised the transaction and the credit card companies have put the money aside for them. If I had booked a flight last night for this morning, the money wouldn't have hit the account by the time I used the flight. The only reason AL are physically able to cancel the transaction is because the flights we purchased were for a time in the future.

So nobody has paid for anything, no contract exists and, therefore, there is no argument. Funds being verified in your account is not the same as being charged. Game over.

Fair enough, but what you are doing in my opinion is wrong and shows a lack of fairness on your part.

I have noted your opinion and I have to disagree with you.

A lack of fairness on my part would be to demand the 2 First Class Flights to New York that I received a confirmation for plus compensation for my trouble.

I thought I was booking 2 Economy Seats and that's all I want.

As an aside if you get a chance can you take a look at this other post I made:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55686981#post55686981

Cake and eating?

• Advertisement

So nobody has paid for anything, no contract exists and, therefore, there is no argument. Funds being verified in your account is not the same as being charged. Game over.

Rubbish. Again, look at my point. If I had purchased flights to London last night for use this morning at 7.00, the money would not have moved from my account to Aer Lingus' in that short space of time. However, I would still be entitled to fly with them this morning because a) they have given me confirmation of my flight and b) they have authorised my credit card to be debited. Are you saying that I have no contract with AL even though I have used their service? In that case, if I was to slip and fall on their plane and try to sue them, I would have no case because they could say "even though he was on our flight, he had no contract with us"???

Absolute tripe altogether. We're talking about timing differences in credit card payments here. If I'd been able to pay in cash for these €5 flights, I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It's not like saying that at all. I knew the value of my car was €5000.
    Then why did you just accept €5. I understand what you are saying is that if you made a mistake in accepting €5 instead of €5,000. That is your fault. I find it hard to see how someone could honestly make that mistake. If it is cash, you should count it - if you count it wrong then it is your fault - that is why I would count the money more than once. If it is a cheque you should look at it and confirm with the bank as whether a) whether it is a valid cheque and b)there are funds to meet it. If you are blind you should get someone you trust to look at it - just because you are blind doesnt make you stupid it just means you might have to rely on someone else but the blind person will already know this. If you are dumb (I presume you mean have little intelligence) then if you intelligence is low enough then you might be considered mentally disabled in which case you could negate the contract due to incapacity to contract.

You analogy is wrong and does not argue a case against the customers affected here.

Thing is, verfied funds cannot be used to make purchases elsewhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55689468#post55689468

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Aer Lingus climb down. They are offering economy seats for the price initially paid.

Per RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Aer Lingus climb down. They are offering economy seats for the price initially paid.

Per RTE
    Yep, confirmed on TodayFM there.

future/executory consideration applies. The person purchasing the flight has promised to pay aerlingus for the flight using their credit card. Thus consideration has passed and the contract of sale is valid and binding.

Per RTE

Fools. Sure whats to stop people going all the way now and demanding their business class flights?

Per RTE
    Aerlingus are idiots. They should fire their lawyers and PR staff.

Fools. Sure whats to stop people going all the way now and demanding their business class flights?
    They must be hoping that people are happy enough with the economy - which i'm sure most will be. Either way they would have lost any case against them if it went to court so I guess this is damage limitation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The commercial director is on RTE radio one for lunch time news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Fools.

I think they might have understood what you clearly haven't; that they weren't in a good position legally. They'll probably spin it as a goodwill gesture though.

Congratulations to all the boardsies who get their flights!! Have a fantastic time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You're right,
    There is a woman on Joe Duffy at the moment saying she booked Premier Class and therefore wants premier class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Fair play to you all.

Wonder how many people will cash in and sell their flights for a profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

snubbleste wrote: »
    You're right,
    There is a woman on Joe Duffy at the moment saying she booked Premier Class and therefore wants premier class.

I had no sympathy for her. All that pap about it being her lifelong dream to fly premier class....well if it's a lifelong dream then you won't mind paying for it. I think Aer Lingus are finally being fair and letting people fly economy for the price they paid. I think her arguments, in spite of support from the NCA, are ridiculous.

I haven't got access to the radio in work. Can anyone let me know what the NCA are saying about Aer Lingus' climbdown?

Jg1982 wrote: »
    I haven't got access to the radio in work. Can anyone let me know what the NCA are saying about Aer Lingus' climbdown?

NCA agrees fairer deal for consumers with Aer Lingus
    18 April 2008

"The NCA had a very productive meeting with Aer Lingus senior management this morning," said Ann Fitzgerald, Chief Executive of the National Consumer Agency.

"We welcome Aer Lingus's decision to treat consumers fairly."

"We think Aer lingus has made a very reasonable offer which will be acceptable to most consumers. However, the NCA would advise consumers that if they do not wish to accept the compensation now on offer from Aer Lingus, they are entitled in our view to take legal action against the company."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 noelwpb

I think this decision is fair for all involved.

I asked for 'lowest fare' when booking, not business class.. which I presume would be the same for the vast majority of people who got these prices. Demanding business class seats now is being greedy.

Aer Lingus are now going to offer us what we tried to book in the first place - Cheap seats to the US.

Fair play to the NCA for the swift response to the matter. Organisations will think twice before trying to pull similar stunts from now on.

noelwpb wrote: »
    I think this decision is fair for all involved.

I asked for 'lowest fare' when booking, not business class.. which I presume would be the same for the vast majority of people who got these prices. Demanding business class seats now is being greedy.

Aer Lingus are now going to offer us what we tried to book in the first place - Cheap seats to the US.

Fair play to the NCA for the swift response to the matter. Organisations will think twice before trying to pull similar stunts from now on.

I agree!! I got what I thought I was paying for.

That said, if those who are taking this futher get a result it would be a bitter pill but my conscience will be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ryanair have a "real €5 fares, no mistakes" flash banner on their site (if you choose Ireland as the country), (and a tilted shamrock dotting the "i")...lol they don't miss a trick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 noelwpb

I personally won't be taking it any further. My flights and an apology is plenty for me. "One in the bag is better than 2 in the bush" !!

Has anyone received the call from Aer Lingus yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement