Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website mistake

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Joey401 wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. I'm simply looking for what I bought - a business class ticket to the States.

Why arent you able to graciously accept that Aer Lingus made a mistake and have tried to rectify it. An economy class ticket is still worth a lot more than what you paid and you really should be happy with it, you still scored a dirt cheap vacation that most people would be delighted to go on for that price. Instead you feel that you are somehow owed a ticket that is worth thousands in potential revenue for Aer Lingus because someone made a mistake.
    If transactions like this are not reliable then that is the end of business online!!!

The few errors out of the billions of successful transactions performed daily online is hardly going to be the downfall of online shopping.
    And I did not think that I was cheating Aer Lingus out of money as I was paying in the hundreds for my ticket and Ryanair offer 1cent flights all the time.

1 cent + taxes and charges just like yours was €5 + taxes and charges. Also Aer Lingus != Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

What a load of rubbish. I'm simply looking for what I bought - a business class ticket to the States. If transactions like this are not reliable then that is the end of business online!!! And its the bigger picture thats important here.

No court will give you what you're not entitled to. And the only loss most people have suffered is their ticket and thats all we're looking for. I don't know where you get the idea that I think I'm entitled to 8grands worth of flights. And furthermore, as I mentioned already, I paid in the hundreds for my ticket - not a fiver or a tenner!!!!!!

And on a final note - I think making a comparison between slipping in a supermarket due to your own carelessness and a entering into a valid contract in good faith just demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part. Apologies if this seems a bit blunt but I really have suffered great inconvenience as a result. And I did not think that I was cheating Aer Lingus out of money as I was paying in the hundreds for my ticket and Ryanair offer 1cent flights all the time.

Personally if i was a consumer i'd take the economy class ticket and save myself the hassle.
    But I tend to agree that given a contract was formed it's the consumer's prerogative as to whether they want to accept an economy or business class flight.
    Obviously they may have to go to court to get the business flight but i feel it's still there prerogative.

As Joey401 says what's to stop AL pulling the same excuse in future if it suits them- there's a bigger picture here.
    A contract has to mean something- mistake or no mistake.

I get the feeling if it was the other way around and the consumer made a mistake it would be "tough sh1t, mate".
    So tbh i don't have any sympathy for AL- there not going to go bankrupt FFS. :rolleyes:
    Might wake them up a small bit if anything. :)

Victor_M wrote: »
    Greedy Irish chancers.

If the error was in the wrong direction i.e you were charged 1800 instead of 180 and hadn't noticed the mistake at the time, how many of you wouldn't want a refund because you hadn't noticed the mistake!

Aer Lingus are going to get shafted due to greed. Compo culture at it's worst

The compo culture analogy isn't apt.
    This has to do with advertising, (stupid) business practice and canny consumers.
    These people were looking to get what was advertised to them (and bought by them), nothing more.

Bit of a stretch to compare canny (but genuine) consumers to people who deliberately fake/incur injury to get a few quid.

Incidentally, had to laugh at the Ryanair ad in the indo yesterday (Saturday).
    Went something like:
    "Aer Lingus offering 5 euro flights-
    Has to be a mistake!".
    :D

It was a mistake, I just don't see why it should cost Aer Lingus between .5 - 1 million Euro because of a glitch (I have nothing to do with Aer Lingus by the way)

Is it really going to cost Aer Lingus anything?
    Beside the point anyway (violins playing etc) but is it?

• Advertisement

avantarklu wrote: »
    If Aer Lingus are allowed to walk away from this, where does that leave consumer confidence in their main source of revenue i.e. their website?

From now on, at what point can ever passenger who books online be satisfied that they have a valid booking before proceeding with any other arrangements?

Do passengers now have to wait a day, a week to be sure that another mistake has not been made and that Aer Lingus will not cancel another booking because of it?

Should every passenger who makes a booking now have to go through another step in booking a flight and perhaps have to contact Aer Lingus by phone or in writing to ensure that the confirmation they have received by email is valid and will be honoured?

If a passenger books a flight for €50, can Aer Lingus cancel the booking saying the passenger should have known better because the price of that flight is normally €100?

If someone contested it and it's upheld in AL's favour, kinda looks like it doesn't it?
    In theory atleast.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bond-007 wrote: »
    And now all those on the moral high horses ride in. Don't tell me in a similar situation you would not take advantage.

I would. I did during the Kodak fiasco - on the off chance that they would honour the prices. You may remember that Kodak honoured the price even though UK Trading Standards said that they were in their rights not to. you may also remember that Kodak decided to supply one camera per person even though some folk had ordered multiple cameras.

If I had got in on the ground floor on this offer I would have been happy because I'd have been damn sure that it was an error and that EI being EI they'd have to give in. Ryanair being ryanair would have considered the negative publicity to be publicity and would have refused to admit an error let alone honour it.

edit: I'd have much more respect if folk just admitted that they knew it was error and decided to push for the flights anyway. I'm sure that the "property executives" on the Independent yesterday wouldn't be so forgiving if their customers were late in paying monies due to errors..

axer wrote: »
    Then why did you just accept €5. I understand what you are saying is that if you made a mistake in accepting €5 instead of €5,000. That is your fault. I find it hard to see how someone could honestly make that mistake. If it is cash, you should count it - if you count it wrong then it is your fault - that is why I would count the money more than once. If it is a cheque you should look at it and confirm with the bank as whether a) whether it is a valid cheque and b)there are funds to meet it. If you are blind you should get someone you trust to look at it - just because you are blind doesnt make you stupid it just means you might have to rely on someone else but the blind person will already know this. If you are dumb (I presume you mean have little intelligence) then if you intelligence is low enough then you might be considered mentally disabled in which case you could negate the contract due to incapacity to contract.

You analogy is wrong and does not argue a case against the customers affected here.

I have to agree.
    I don't get this "mistake" defence at all.
    Could be wrong but IMHO the only way the "mistake" argument holds for me is if the AL staff member who posted the price was someway mentally incapacitated, which i hope and expect they're not.
    Even then AL are liable for this staff member aren't they.

This is business FFS.
    Is there a mistake defence when the average consumer fcuks up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Occam

Airlines routinely cancel or reschedule flights, or refuse travel to passengers, and do not have to justify their reasons. Over 250,000 people a year are denied boarding due to overbooking in europe alone.

EI have gone with the economy option as a PR exercise, there is no legal obligation on their part to carry any passenger. Its bizarre, but this idea of a contract existing between the airline and a passenger just doesn't exist in the airline industry.

Once an airline has given 14 days notice, they are entitled to cancel any flight and the passenger is entitled to zero compensation. Also rescheduling can be a nightmare - especially if hotels and stuff are booked, and no compensation applies to this. The customer can insist on a refund, and in some cases rerouting, but this is frequently far from convenient.

Its only in the last few years that airlines have been obliged to give customers delayed/rescheduled/cancelled copies of their rights, so they give out alot more free coffee and sandwhiches these days :)

http://www.irishconsumer.ie/eng/get_your_rights/travel/flights_cancelled_rerouted_/the%20question.html?tabParam=fullversion

http://www.irishconsumer.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Travel/Denied_Boarding/The%20Question.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

tech77 wrote: »
    The compo culture analogy isn't apt.
    Ok I'll give you that, but the lets milk an obvious mistake for everything we can culture is out in full force

This has to do with advertising, (stupid) business practice and canny consumers.
    These people were looking to get what was advertised to them (and bought by them), nothing more.
    See copy of Ad below, 5 Euro buisness class flights we not advertised to any one. It was an obvious mistake

Bit of a stretch to compare canny (but genuine) consumers to people who deliberately fake/incur injury to get a few quid.
    If a canny genuine Consumer comes along to this discussion who genuinely didn't realise the mistake and wasn't chancing his arm and has gratefully accepted the nearly free economy flights to the USA well I apologise to you

I'm sure a few people were genuinely booking flights to the US and stumbled across the 5 Euro flight by mistake, but anyone who recieved the seat sale from Aer Lingus advertising flights to the US FROM E249 (from is always the cheapest option for those out there pretending to be stupid innocent victims of this life shattering debacle)

So anyone that says they were just availing of the offer presented to them is lying, anyone saying that they didn't realise that they had just booked a business class flight worth a shade under 4 Grand and didn't realise it, despite "Business Class" being plastered over the confirmation screen then having to choose their seats up the front of the plane, with 2 seats per row is either a bit dull or lying too.

There was no harm in chancing your arms, and they have been well compensated/rewarded with almost free flights to the USA, but its those going on as if there life has been ruined and will accespt no less then business class seats who are making me sick. They are the Compo culture greedy vultures I was referring to earlier.

This is a copy of the email that Aer Lingus sent out on wednesday.

Have a quick glance and someone tell me where it says Business class to New York or Boston for a fiver.

Summer is nearly here so why not book your holidays to the US now.

Fly direct to one of our 7 exciting US destinations from only €249. The only problem will be deciding where to go! Book your flights early – these fares can’t last.

US Sale - Book today

Dublin to Shannon to
    New York from €249
    New York from €249

Boston from €249
    Boston from €249

Washington from €249
    Chicago from €259

Chicago from €259

Orlando from €269

San Francisco from €309

Los Angeles from €309

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Occam wrote: »
    EI have gone with the economy option as a PR exercise, there is no legal obligation on their part to carry any passenger. Its bizarre, but this idea of a contract existing between the airline and a passenger just doesn't exist in the airline industry.
    There was a legal contract between the customers and the airline. Are you suggesting that contract law doesn't apply to companies operating in the airline industry?
    Once an airline has given 14 days notice, they are entitled to cancel any flight and the passenger is entitled to zero compensation. Also rescheduling can be a nightmare - especially if hotels and stuff are booked, and no compensation applies to this. The customer can insist on a refund, and in some cases rerouting, but this is frequently far from convenient.
    They would have to cancel the entire flights that these people booked. They could not cancel tickets from certain people but not cancel the actual flight itself.
    If a canny genuine Consumer comes along to this discussion who genuinely didn't realise the mistake and wasn't chancing his arm and has gratefully accepted the nearly free economy flights to the USA well I apologise to you

I'm sure a few people were genuinely booking flights to the US and stumbled across the 5 Euro flight by mistake, but anyone who recieved the seat sale from Aer Lingus advertising flights to the US FROM E249 (from is always the cheapest option for those out there pretending to be stupid innocent victims of this life shattering debacle)

So anyone that says they were just availing of the offer presented to them is lying, anyone saying that they didn't realise that they had just booked a business class flight worth a shade under 4 Grand and didn't realise it, despite "Business Class" being plastered over the confirmation screen then having to choose their seats up the front of the plane, with 2 seats per row is either a bit dull or lying too.

There was no harm in chancing your arms, and they have been well compensated/rewarded with almost free flights to the USA, but its those going on as if there life has been ruined and will accespt no less then business class seats who are making me sick. They are the Compo culture greedy vultures I was referring to earlier.

This is a copy of the email that Aer Lingus sent out on wednesday.

Have a quick glance and someone tell me where it says Business class to New York or Boston for a fiver.

Summer is nearly here so why not book your holidays to the US now.

Fly direct to one of our 7 exciting US destinations from only €249. The only problem will be deciding where to go! Book your flights early – these fares can’t last.

US Sale - Book today

Dublin to Shannon to
    New York from €249
    New York from €249

Boston from €249
    Boston from €249

Washington from €249
    Chicago from €259

Chicago from €259

Orlando from €269

San Francisco from €309

Los Angeles from €309
    There is not much difference between €180 and €249. I would hardly call them almost free flights.

If someone has never checked the price of business class seats before then how are they to know what the normal price of them is? I never knew they were that expensive until aerlingus started illegally cancelling contracts resulting in the price being mentioned in the media.

When I get those sale email I usually just go to the website and put in some destinations that I want to go to and see the price it gives. I don't bother looking at the prices in the email as they are usually not the same anyway thus I would have not know there was a mistake.

Does it even say the dates the sale runs from and until? I went onto Ryanair's website the other day during their €5 flight sale. Guess what, I got one flight for €0 plus taxes and charges. Should Ryanair be allowed to cancel my ticket now?

There was a legal contract between the customers and the airline. Are you suggesting that contract law doesn't apply to companies operating in the airline industry?

It was an obvious mistake, as someone mentioned many posts back, there is a clause in contract law for mistakes, where the mistake is genuine and obviously an error, Just under 4 Grands worth of flights for a tenner is obviously a mistake. Just because you didn't know the value of business class flights doesn't change anything (in fact you seemed oblivious to the fact that business class flights were coming in cheaper than the advertised economy prices

They would have to cancel the entire flights that these people booked. They could not cancel tickets from certain people but not cancel the actual flight itself.

There is not much difference between €180 and €249. I would hardly call them almost free flights.

180 after all costs and taxes vs E249 before (E180 - E5 i presume) which would be 249 + 175 = E424, a substantial difference, you are being selective with your examples.

Should Ryanair be allowed to cancel my ticket now?

I would love to see RyanAirs reaction if they made the same mistake, they would either tell you to Fook off and charge you a credit card charge anyway because you used their booking system, or they would drag it out until they had recieved enough publicity (O'leary seems to think bad publicity is better then good publicity) to write off the cost and honor the mistake

No, I'm not suggesting that contract law doesnt apply, I'm telling you that the contract is alot different than what you think. Your contract does not consist of a guarantee that aerlingus will bring you to New York at the dates on the ticket, in the class on the ticket or even at all.

While most people don't know this, any frequent flier will have been a victim of "bumping" or a cancellation at some time. Sometimes its a technical fault, sometimes its an act of God, sometimes its just a strategic decision by the airline . In none of these scenarios had the contract been broken, and in neither scenario is the passenger entitled to compensation other than a refund.

I'm not saying this is a good situation, I'm just telling you thats the way it is.

They can and do. Never heard of overbooking? They usually decide the ""involuntary denied boarding" list based on the ticket class - so people that have paid full fare will rarely get bumped, also passengers with alot of miles will usually get a seat :)
    Should Ryanair be allowed to cancel my ticket now?

They are under no obligation to carry you on the dates on your ticket, at the class on your ticket, or indeed at all in some cases. While ryanair are unusual in that they never over book flights, they frequently cancel flights for operational reasons. This often leaves passengers stranded... but thats the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

While most people don't know this, any frequent flier will have been a victim of "bumping" or a cancellation at some time. Sometimes its a technical fault, sometimes its an act of God, sometimes its just a strategic decision by the airline . In none of these scenarios had the contract been broken, and in neither scenario is the passenger entitled to compensation other than a refund.
    A load of old ballocks there.
    If you get bumped they must compensate you properly by law and rebook you on the next available flight. Compensation can consist of hotels, food, cash etc. I have done very well in the past due to overbooking.

I really wish that the Aer Lingus shills would be more subtle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

What a load of rubbish. I'm simply looking for what I bought - a business class ticket to the States. If transactions like this are not reliable then that is the end of business online!!! And its the bigger picture thats important here.

No court will give you what you're not entitled to. And the only loss most people have suffered is their ticket and thats all we're looking for. I don't know where you get the idea that I think I'm entitled to 8grands worth of flights. And furthermore, as I mentioned already, I paid in the hundreds for my ticket - not a fiver or a tenner!!!!!!

And on a final note - I think making a comparison between slipping in a supermarket due to your own carelessness and a entering into a valid contract in good faith just demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part. Apologies if this seems a bit blunt but I really have suffered great inconvenience as a result. And I did not think that I was cheating Aer Lingus out of money as I was paying in the hundreds for my ticket and Ryanair offer 1cent flights all the time.

nopity.gif

A load of old ballocks there.
    If you get bumped they must compensate you properly by law and rebook you on the next available flight. Compensation can consist of hotels, food, cash etc. I have done very well in the past due to overbooking.

People very rarely do well out of involuntary denied boarding.

Most people who are able to arrive later take the voluntary bump. People who have refused the voluntary bump usually have a meeting or a connection they need to make.

Some meals and a hotel for a night does not make for a happy camper when they have to cough up for a new onward connection themselves, even with the token compensation.

It was an obvious mistake, as someone mentioned many posts back, there is a clause in contract law for mistakes, where the mistake is genuine and obviously an error, Just under 4 Grands worth of flights for a tenner is obviously a mistake. Just because you didn't know the value of business class flights doesn't change anything (in fact you seemed oblivious to the fact that business class flights were coming in cheaper than the advertised economy prices
    You see that is where you are missing the point. It was not an obvious mistake. Not knowing the value of the flight means if I had entered into the agreement I would be doing so in good faith. If I had made the mistake and booked a wrong date aerlingus would have said "tough shít" and I would get no refund - Why would the law give them a get out clause but not for me? They are not above the law just because they are a big company.
    180 after all costs and taxes vs E249 before (E180 - E5 i presume) which would be 249 + 175 = E424, a substantial difference, you are being selective with your examples.
    €180 is hardly a free flight. A reasonable person would, having seen the way flights are sold, assume that it is a correct price. Aerlingus are in the low cost airline business. It was mentioned by someone earlier that if Ryanair can sell flights for €0.01 then people could expect that aerlingus could sell a flight that is maybe 3/4/5 times longer for an even greater price of €5 (plus taxes and charges).
    I would love to see RyanAirs reaction if they made the same mistake, they would either tell you to Fook off and charge you a credit card charge anyway because you used their booking system, or they would drag it out until they had recieved enough publicity (O'leary seems to think bad publicity is better then good publicity) to write off the cost and honor the mistake
    TBH I am not sure how ryanair would have handled it but that does not negate the fact that a full enforceable contract was made between the customer and the airline which the airline are obliged to honour or face breach of contract penalties. Again, they are not above the law.
    No, I'm not suggesting that contract law doesnt apply, I'm telling you that the contract is alot different than what you think. Your contract does not consist of a guarantee that aerlingus will bring you to New York at the dates on the ticket, in the class on the ticket or even at all.
    The fundamental parts of the contract are the same. The terms might be different.

I'm not saying this is a good situation, I'm just telling you thats the way it is.
    For that to happen the flight itself must be cancelled. They cannot just cancel your ticket and leave others unaffected without paying compensation.
    They can and do. Never heard of overbooking? They usually decide the ""involuntary denied boarding" list based on the ticket class - so people that have paid full fare will rarely get bumped, also passengers with alot of miles will usually get a seat :)
    I'm not sure you understand over booking. They cannot decide who gets the seat before people check in as the whole idea is that they do not know how many will show up. Once you check in then you have your seat. So if I check in before the person who has paid full fare then are you saying they will ask for the seat back to give to the other person?
    They are under no obligation to carry you on the dates on your ticket, at the class on your ticket, or indeed at all in some cases. While ryanair are unusual in that they never over book flights, they frequently cancel flights for operational reasons. This often leaves passengers stranded... but thats the way it is.
    But they must pay compensation for doing that.
    In this situation you are entitled to compensation under European law. The airline must give you:
    • a choice of either a refund of your ticket (with a free flight back to your initial point of departure when relevant) or,
    • alternative transport to your final destination
    and
    • (depending on the length of the delay) refreshments, meals, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and hotel, two free telephone calls, telex/fax messages, or e-mails
    and compensation totalling
    • €250 for flights of 1,500 km or less, if delayed by over two hours
    • €400 for longer flights within the EU and other flights between 1,500 and 3,500 km, if arrival at your final destination is delayed by over three hours
    • €600 for flights over 3,500 km outside the EU, if delayed by over four hours
    That is more than just a refund.

I think the trolls are raging they missed out. :D

Look I'm not going to keep arguing this with you. Care\Compensation from airlines for cancellations is different to reschedules, and different again to bumping. Its also different according to where in the world you are flying from, the length of your jouney,your ticket class, how late your arrival was, how early your departure was and varies on how long before the departure the airline cancels the flight. There is no golden rule as you seem to think, its complex and as I said "in some situations" you are entitled to nothing but a refund.

The key point I am making is that this compensation is not even close to the compensation you would recieve if there had been a breach of contract. You are not entitled to reimbursment of losses that you may have incurred as a result of the cancellation\reschedule etc. These losses are frequently *much* more than the value of the food people get in an airport. Most people don't even want some poxy airport food, they want to be at their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

not going to close this thread, despite complaints. But this is a consumer issues thread. It's about whether people are entitled to the €5 flights. It's not about the moral correctness of the issue. Bannings will follow if this advice is ignored.

• Advertisement

Look I'm not going to keep arguing this with you. Care\Compensation from airlines for cancellations is different to reschedules, and different again to bumping. Its also different according to where in the world you are flying from, the length of your jouney,your ticket class, how late your arrival was, how early your departure was and varies on how long before the departure the airline cancels the flight. There is no golden rule as you seem to think, its complex and as I said "in some situations" you are entiteled to nothing but a refund.

The key point I am making is that this compensation is not even close to the compensation you would recieve if there had been a breach of contract. You are not entitled to reimbursment of losses that you may have incurred as a result of the cancellation\reschedule etc. These losses are frequently *much* more than the value of the food people get in an airport. Most people don't even want some poxy airport food, they want to be at their destination.
    What has this got to do with the aerlingus breach of contract anyway? It is a totally different situation to bumping and overbooking.

It is simple. Customers made a contract with Aerlingus. Aerlingus say they made a mistake. Aerlingus thought they could just cancel those legally binding contracts because they say people should have known better.

They were wrong and apologised admitting they handled it incorrectly. They offer passengers a compromise of economy seats in what looks like an attempt to convince them not to sue for breach of contract. It will probably work for some if not for most - although I suspect many will wait to see what happens with those taking it further before deciding.

Those taking it further do have a case (a pretty strong case imo) and will either win in court or receive an out-of-court settlement as Aerlingus did have a binding contract. Whilst I am not 100% convinced either way on the morality of the situation, I strongly feel that it is very important to uphold the law and to show people and other large companies that no company is above the law which aerlingus seemed to think it was. I do not think that Aerlingus would feel sorry for customers who make a mistake so it should work equally both ways.

People should always know their rights and enforce their rights and this is a good example to show people who think that big companies can do what they like (there is a huge amount of people in Ireland who think like that) that they have rights that can be enforced.

Well Said! Bravo!

I think the trolls are raging they missed out. :D

Hmm, here you go again, not the first time in this thread a snide comment or trolling remark has been made against the voice of honest reason.

You are sounding like a broken record at this stage, copying and pasting snippets from contract law books all over the place, doesn't change the fact that you are trying exploite an honest mistake for all you can get, and trying to get an awful lot more than you paid for (due to an obvious error).

Lets hope you never make a mistake a get ridden for it.

Compo culture at it's worst.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What has this got to do with the aerlingus breach of contract anyway? It is a totally different situation to bumping and overbooking.

It is simple. Customers made a contract with Aerlingus. Aerlingus say they made a mistake. Aerlingus thought they could just cancel those legally binding contracts because they say people should have known better.

They were wrong and apologised admitting they handled it incorrectly. They offer passengers a compromise of economy seats in what looks like an attempt to convince them not to sue for breach of contract. It will probably work for some if not for most - although I suspect many will wait to see what happens with those taking it further before deciding.

Those taking it further do have a case (a pretty strong case imo) and will either win in court or receive an out-of-court settlement as Aerlingus did have a binding contract. Whilst I am not 100% convinced either way on the morality of the situation, I strongly feel that it is very important to uphold the law and to show people and other large companies that no company is above the law which aerlingus seemed to think it was. I do not think that Aerlingus would feel sorry for customers who make a mistake so it should work equally both ways.

People should always know their rights and enforce their rights and this is a good example to show people who think that big companies can do what they like (there is a huge amount of people in Ireland who think like that) that they have rights that can be enforced.

Absolutely, consumer protection laws need to be reinforced, not undermined. I can't imagine any of the major corporations/multi-nationals having a crisis of conscience were the position reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

One point that hasn't been made here is that those that are seeking the full business class package are in effect looking for compensation from the rest of us. As a majority share holder in Aer Lingus the Irish People are entitled to a dividend of the profits from the company.

Each euro in compensation that these people get is 25c less profit returned to us, the people.

If those looking for the full business class package win, then we are paying each of them €850. Is that right, for what looks like a bunch of chancers that aren't happy with the offer of an economy ticket.

Plus if you have shares in Ryanair you can double your €850 loss, as they own a further 25%. Add to that any pension fund that has shares in either of these companies and you're taking a big hit.

(return business class ticket) 1750 * 2 = 3500. 25% of 3500 = 850
    Obviously all of this is treated as loss to EI, who could otherwise have sold that seat.

bren2002 wrote: »
    One point that hasn't been made here is that those that are seeking the full business class package are in effect looking for compensation from the rest of us. As a majority share holder in Aer Lingus the Irish People are entitled to a dividend of the profits from the company.

Each euro in compensation that these people get is 25c less profit returned to us, the people.

If those looking for the full business class package win, then we are paying each of them €850. Is that right, for what looks like a bunch of chancers that aren't happy with the offer of an economy ticket.

Plus if you have shares in Ryanair you can double your €850 loss, as they own a further 25%. Add to that any pension fund that has shares in either of these companies and you're taking a big hit.

Obviously all of this is treated as loss to EI, who could otherwise have sold that seat.

that's an irrelevant point (no offence intended). of course shareholders lose, but that is beside the point of whether people are entitled to their flights

What has this got to do with the aerlingus breach of contract anyway? .

Everything, because I've shown that the contact which you keep harping on about in no way guarantees travel. You seem to think it does.

The airlines regularly reschedule and cancel flights, yet in some cases they can just cancel a flight, give a refund and thats the end of it. They are never liable for losses incurred by the passenger as a result of these reschedulings \ cancellation. If cancellations\reschedulings were an actual breach of contract the neither of these situations would be possible

Hmm, here you go again, not the first time in this thread a snide comment or trolling remark has been made against the voice of honest reason.

You are sounding like a broken record at this stage, copying and pasting snippets from contract law books all over the place, doesn't change the fact that you are trying exploite an honest mistake for all you can get, and trying to get an awful lot more than you paid for (due to an obvious error).

Lets hope you never make a mistake a get ridden for it.

Compo culture at it's worst.:mad:

did you just decide to ignore my post? infracted, and the next time its a ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

bren2002 wrote: »

Plus if you have shares in Ryanair you can double your €850 loss, as they own a further 25%. Add to that any pension fund that has shares in either of these companies and you're taking a big hit

That's a chance you take when you become a shareholder, whether by design or default. We are all share holders in Ireland inc and are taking a hit every day due to mistakes, mismanagement, incompetence, call it what you will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement