Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

congratulations guys. Whether it was a genuine mistake or not. If I had seen the flights for a fiver i'd have booked them also.

enjoy your holidays stateside I say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

While, I'm not one of the lucky ones that boked these flights, I believe that Aer Lingus were right to offer Economy flights to customers for this price due to the fact that the people booking the special could have genuinely belived that they were booking Economy class and that the price was correct.

However, there is no way that anyone would think that AL would be selling Premier class tickets for this price and the three women that are suing for Premier Class tickets should be laughed out of court. They obviously can't afford Premier Class tickets. They were a bit too quick to get solicitors involved and why are they suing in the Circuit Court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

why are they suing in the Circuit Court?
    Read my response on the previous page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

All I asked for was economy tickets and Aer Lingus have now relented.

Anyone looking for business tickets is just plain greedy.

Agreed, people who say they thoguth they were getting economy tickets should be given the tickets in economy class. But the people who are insisting on gettign the business class seats should be given nothing as they would know it was an obvious mis-price

And now all those on the moral high horses ride in. Don't tell me in a similar situation you would not take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

Noelie wrote: »
    Agreed, people who say they thoguth they were getting economy tickets should be given the tickets in economy class. But the people who are insisting on gettign the business class seats should be given nothing as they would know it was an obvious mis-price

That has been the weakest defence of this whole argument imho - people should have known it was an obvious mis-price. Why? Why couldn't it have been a genuine limited offer to the "first 10 customers" or the like? Perhaps AL meant it to be a limited offer as such but it somehow got out of control and more people than expected managed to avail of it forcing them to pull the whole thing? How many of the January sales (think Clearys) have ridiculous offers such as a suit of furniture for a tenner, offers good enough to have customers queuing on the street over night. I believed that the deal I found was genuine and incredible. I believed I was one of those lucky people you hear about who manage to bag a once-in-a-lifetime offer by being in the right place at the right time. I entered into the agreement with AL without any question that it might be a mistake. I have not been convinced by AL or their handling of this affair that they made a "genuine mistake". As a result, I reserve my rights under this contract to look for specific performance.

avantarklu wrote: »
    That has been the weakest defence of this whole argument imho - people should have known it was an obvious mis-price. Why? Why couldn't it have been a genuine limited offer to the "first 10 customers" or the like? Perhaps AL meant it to be a limited offer as such but it somehow got out of control and more people than expected managed to avail of it forcing them to pull the whole thing? How many of the January sales (think Clearys) have ridiculous offers such as a suit of furniture for a tenner, offers good enough to have customers queuing on the street over night. I believed that the deal I found was genuine and incredible. I believed I was one of those lucky people you hear about who manage to bag a once-in-a-lifetime offer by being in the right place at the right time. I entered into the agreement with AL without any question that it might be a mistake. I have not been convinced by AL or their handling of this affair that they made a "genuine mistake". As a result, I reserve my rights under this contract to look for specific performance.

and you think my argument was weak!
    this happens all the time online, a product is advertised at a price which is obviously wrong, people take advantage ( i don't blame them i'd do the same) but then they get a email saying their order has been cancelled. AL could have easily done the same here but didn't, they gave the people the economy seat they claim they were buying. Also if the money was never taken, the people hadn't actually bought anything and AL could just cancel the bookings.

If it was supposed to be a limited offer it would have said so. Clearys always points out that the first x number of fridges is a tenner, it gets big queues into the shops.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    And now all those on the moral high horses ride in. Don't tell me in a similar situation you would not take advantage.

I'm not on any high horse (and i love how people with no arguement always seem to put this forward, but atleast your post count has incremented)

The fact is Aerlingus have offered a very reasonable offer to people and some are saying no i want the product that was obviously mispriced. I'd say if they weren't having all the internal problem with staff treathing to strike they would have told the people who got these filghts where to go and just cancelled them.

And if i had of gotten one of these flights i'd have been with the offer of economy, as i 'd say most people who booked realised it was a mistake, espically when the got the mail saying the seat were in business class.

Your case is at best weak. Aerlingus took the money therefore a contract was formed hence no legal leg to stand on. I see their offer of economy seats as an admission of liability. If they had right on their side they would quote the terms and conditions chapter and verse. They did not. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

a product is advertised at a price which is obviously wrong,
    It is not an obviously wrong price. One could say that about a Ryanair flight to Berlin that I just bought the other day for €0 plus taxes and charges. Aerlingus have moved into the low cost airline sector so it is not unreasonable to think that they would have some extremely cheap seats on offer at times. I never knew how much a business class seat to the USA was worth until this event so if I had purchased one I wouldn't have known it is that expensive normally.
    AL could have easily done the same here but didn't, they gave the people the economy seat they claim they were buying. Also if the money was never taken, the people hadn't actually bought anything and AL could just cancel the bookings.
    Aerlingus u-turned because they did not have a legal leg to stand on. The reason they have offered economy seats is to hope that people will just accept that over fighting through the courts for a business class seat. It does not mean that they are being "nice" to their customers - they are just trying to cover their ass.
    If it was supposed to be a limited offer it would have said so. Clearys always points out that the first x number of fridges is a tenner, it gets big queues into the shops.
    The seat I bought from Ryanair for €0 was not advertised as a limited time only special offer but they way they work most of the time is the first number of people get it at €0, the next get it at €5.99 then €9.99 and so on.

It is not unreasonable to think you were just getting a good deal.

• Advertisement

Your case is at best weak. Aerlingus took the money therefore a contract was formed hence no legal leg to stand on. I see their offer of economy seats as an admission of liability. If they had right on their side they would quote the terms and conditions chapter and verse. They did not. QED.

I didn't realise peoples credit cards had been charged. I was under the impression the orders had been cancelled before the money was taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sat1

If you went into the Aer lingus website for the past week, there was an add
    for the US sale from 249 not 5 Euro, thus anything less can be clearly said
    to be a mistake.

sat1 wrote: »
    If you went into the Aer lingus website for the past week, there was an add
    for the US sale from 249 not 5 Euro, thus anything less can be clearly said
    to be a mistake.
    And if you didnt?

If you choose not to look or ignore part of the Web page that is your choice.

Aerlingus plant me thinks.

No 007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Aerlingus plant me thinks.

I got accused of that yesterday too, for voicing honest reason.

Some nice people on here! Exploiting a mistake for everything they can get.

Did anyone hear the 'lady' on Joe Duffy say she had always dreamed of flying the the US business class, and now her dream was in shatters!! Start saving and pay for it if it's always been you dream ya silly bint - Don't effectively steal the ticket due to a clerical error.

Another way to look at it. If the passenger made the mistake would Aerlingus be helpful and accomodating? No they would enforce the terms of the contract to the last. I see no difference here.

They would not offer any settlement if they were in the right. They are clearly in the wrong and good luck to anyone with the time to take them to the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joey401

Hey guys!!

Ok - update on the whole ticket fiasco!

Don't know if any of you heard that solicitor Bryan Fox on newstalk about this whole mess earlier. I'm mentioning it cause I was actually talking to him yesterday (found him in golden pages) about my case and was impressed with his approach. He is going to take my case about the aerlingus tickets on a "no-win no fee" basis which means that no cost if you don't win. He has a junior and senior barrister lined up especially and I'm satisfied that I'm going to get what I paid for!

Just thought I should let you guys know and don't settle for those economy tickets they're offering us - its such a heap of crap.

If we were the ones that had made the mistake you there is no way Aer Lingus would let us walk away without charge! Lets keep a level playing field!!!

Joey401 wrote: »
    Hey guys!!

Ok - update on the whole ticket fiasco!

Don't know if any of you heard that solicitor Bryan Fox on newstalk about this whole mess earlier. I'm mentioning it cause I was actually talking to him yesterday (found him in golden pages) about my case and was impressed with his approach. He is going to take my case about the aerlingus tickets on a "no-win no fee" basis which means that no cost if you don't win. He has a junior and senior barrister lined up especially and I'm satisfied that I'm going to get what I paid for!

Just thought I should let you guys know and don't settle for those economy tickets they're offering us - its such a heap of crap.

If we were the ones that had made the mistake you there is no way Aer Lingus would let us walk away without charge! Lets keep a level playing field!!!

Exactly. Aerlingus would not let a pasenger walk away without paying a penalty if they made a mistake.

I wish you the best of luck and I have no doubt that they will settle on the steps.

• Advertisement

And just so people don't think that I'm taking advantage of a "clerical error" - I paid more than 200euro for thsoe tickets - have arranged to take time off work, have paid for a fortune for a really nice hotel in NY (that I wouldn't ahev been able to afford if I'd paid the amount business tickets usually retail at) and have cancelled and rescheduled a lot of appointments to accomodate this trip! And I would not have gone at this time if they were just economy tickets I was looking at - I was trying to make this a really special trip for a friend thats gone through a hard time.

And I think that the principle here is that there is no reason that big corporations should be able to hide behind a "mistake" when they decide to go back on a valid special offer. I'm not saying that was the case here but if airlines are able to just throw up the defence of mistake anytime it suits them then I think people would never be safe buying offers online!!! And thats the point. Maybe it was a mistake but I have suffered a detriment on foot of that mistake and I shouldn't have to pay the price .

If nothing else maybe this will encourage better management practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dougiehowlett

But people who were looking for €5 flights which were mistakenly sold, most likely due to human error are not greedy? Oh yes they are.

You are:

a) jealous

b) an idiot

c) an Aer Lingus employee

d) all of the above

The state agency responsible for consumer affairs took this case on. Aer Lingus have admitted they messed up, yet you are calling people greedy who availed of a cheap fare, after receiving an email from the airline to say there was a fare sale with a low fares airline.

Stop wumming please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

You are:

a) jealous

b) an idiot

c) an Aer Lingus employee

d) all of the above

The state agency responsible for consumer affairs took this case on. Aer Lingus have admitted they messed up, yet you are calling people greedy who availed of a cheap fare, after receiving an email from the airline to say there was a fare sale with a low fares airline.

Stop wumming please

don't call other posters idiots.

Exactly. Aerlingus would not let a pasenger walk away without paying a penalty if they made a mistake.

I wish you the best of luck and I have no doubt that they will settle on the steps.

Fair play to you - hire an ambulance chaser, re-enforcing what i suspected about the type of people who are trying to exploite this mistake for everything they can.

If you slipped in a supermarket due to your own stupidity would you sue? Legally you would be entitled to, but morally it takes a certain type to actually go ahead sue.

Aer Lingus made a mistake, they are going to be sucked dry because of it.

Why don't you 'slip' while you are boarding the plane and get Aer Lingus to pay for the rest of your holiday while you are at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

yet you are calling people greedy who availed of a cheap fare, after receiving an email from the airline to say there was a fare sale with a low fares airline.

Its not the people who availed of the offer who are greedy, hell if I saw a €5 sale for tickets to America I would jump on it on the off chance that it was a legitamite offer somehow. However, being the informed consumer I am I would be conciously aware that such a bargain could be a mistake and moreso I would also be a decent enough human being to graciously accept that someone had made an error and would happily accept a refund without any quibbles. If I were to get anything more than that I would be ecstatic but I wouldnt be going looking for it.

Its the people who are fighting to make Aer Lingus honour these flights who are greedy. Whats going to happen to the person who made the mistake? Will he get fired? Will he get disciplined? Would the severity of his punishment be lessened if Aer Lingus didnt recieve bad publicity and didnt have to fork out a lot of money due to these whingers?

Victor_M wrote: »
    If you slipped in a supermarket due to your own stupidity would you sue? Legally you would be entitled to, but morally it takes a certain type to actually go ahead sue.
    You would have to prove the supermarket were negligent.
    Aer Lingus made a mistake, they are going to be sucked dry because of it.
    Im sure they will go bankrupt. :rolleyes:

Why don't you 'slip' while you are boarding the plane and get Aer Lingus to pay for the rest of your holiday while you are at it?
    Childish argumentation.
    BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Its not the people who availed of the offer who are greedy, hell if I saw a €5 sale for tickets to America I would jump on it on the off chance that it was a legitamite offer somehow. However, being the informed consumer I am I would be conciously aware that such a bargain could be a mistake and moreso I would also be a decent enough human being to graciously accept that someone had made an error and would happily accept a refund without any quibbles. If I were to get anything more than that I would be ecstatic but I wouldnt be going looking for it.
    I'm sure they would be just as obliging to you if you made a mistake.:rolleyes:
    BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Its the people who are fighting to make Aer Lingus honour these flights who are greedy. Whats going to happen to the person who made the mistake? Will he get fired? Will he get disciplined? Would the severity of his punishment be lessened if Aer Lingus didnt recieve bad publicity and didnt have to fork out a lot of money due to these whingers?
    Whats this? Think of the children, oh someone think of the children!

Aerlingus have said no staff member is going to be disciplined over this. The bad publicity came because aerlingus must have shít legal advice and a shít PR team or the managers are not listening to their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

axer wrote: »

Aerlingus have said no staff member is going to be disciplined over this. The bad publicity came because aerlingus must have shít legal advice and a shít PR team or the managers are not listening to their advice.

I believe they said no staff members who availed of the deal will be disciplined, they didnt mention the person involved with making the mistake. In all fairness there wouldnt be any bad publicity if people could just accept a mistake and move on, its people whinging on the radio about not being able to go on their dream business class trip to America who are creating it.
    I'm sure they would be just as obliging to you if you made a mistake.

Maybe they wouldnt, but thats not going to make me lower myself to their level.

You would have to prove the supermarket were negligent.

With an Ambulance chasing No win no fee solicitor they usually just settle due to the costs involved in fighting the claim wether they are negligent or not

Im sure they will go bankrupt. :rolleyes:

So because they won't go bankrupt makes it ok??

Childish argumentation.

I'm sure they would be just as obliging to you if you made a mistake.:rolleyes:

So you justify your greed by presuming they would screw you over - Hmm some logic
    Whats this? Think of the children, oh someone think of the children!

The bad publicity came about by all the greedy whingers ringing Joe Duffy and the papers trying to bully/embarass AL into giving them 8 grands worth of filghts for a tenner

The bad publicity came about by all the greedy whingers ringing Joe Duffy and the papers trying to bully/embarass AL into giving them 8 grands worth of filghts for a tenner

What a load of rubbish. I'm simply looking for what I bought - a business class ticket to the States. If transactions like this are not reliable then that is the end of business online!!! And its the bigger picture thats important here.

No court will give you what you're not entitled to. And the only loss most people have suffered is their ticket and thats all we're looking for. I don't know where you get the idea that I think I'm entitled to 8grands worth of flights. And furthermore, as I mentioned already, I paid in the hundreds for my ticket - not a fiver or a tenner!!!!!!

And on a final note - I think making a comparison between slipping in a supermarket due to your own carelessness and a entering into a valid contract in good faith just demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part. Apologies if this seems a bit blunt but I really have suffered great inconvenience as a result. And I did not think that I was cheating Aer Lingus out of money as I was paying in the hundreds for my ticket and Ryanair offer 1cent flights all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 justtwiggy

Joey has a point. I would like to see what Axer or Victor M have to say in response?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement