Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yakuza wrote: »
    Ryanair have a "real €5 fares, no mistakes"

They forget the €4 ew credit card charge of course. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

Has anyone received a call from from AL yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jg1982

avantarklu wrote: »
    Has anyone received a call from from AL yet?

Not yet. I'd have thought they'd do it all by email. It will be interesting to see if they're gonna "ask" if we want the economy seat, or if they tell us that we have to take the economy seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 noelwpb

They will probably start ringing after 5pm when people get off work.

Yeah it is will interesting to see how the phone call is worded...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Dear Sir/Madam

Following a full investigation into the technical error in our reservation system on Wednesday 16th April 2008, Aer Lingus is pleased to advise that we are offering to reinstate your original booking in economy class at the original price quoted.

An Aer Lingus representative will contact you directly within the next seven days to discuss your travel arrangements. Should you wish to contact our Customer Support team please do so at the following numbers: (IRL) 0818 365044 or (N.IRE/UK) 0870 8762020. Opening hours are 0730-2130 Monday-Sunday.

It is regrettable that this technical error occurred and Aer Lingus recognises and accepts that customers were upset and inconvenienced. Aer Lingus apologises unreservedly to all customers.

Yours sincerely,Aer Lingus Customer Support

However....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/passengers-in-threat-to-sue-airline-over-83645-us-fare-fiasco-1350839.html

They may be forced to hold fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I see on RTE.IE that you's got the flights, fair play to yis lads, have a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As we now know, this morning Aer Lingus said they would honour the bookings - sort of. They are now saying that they will give those that booked the flight seats in economy class for the price. Some people are happy with that, but some aren't. As they would see it, they are no more honouring the booking than they were yesterday. People booked business class flights for €5 and they are still not getting that. Others are saying that if they made a mistake themselves they would have to pay for it to be resolved, and Aer Lingus would have no sympathy. They make a fortune off customers in such situations, so overall they won't lose if they honour the bookings. I think the bookings should be honoured in full. Yesterday they were not honouring the bookings; today they aren't honouring the bookings, so nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Flukey wrote: »
    As we now know, this morning Aer Lingus said they would honour the bookings - sort of. They are now saying that they will give those that booked the flight seats in economy class for the price. Some people are happy with that, but some aren't. As they would see it, they are no more honouring the booking than they were yesterday. People booked business class flights for €5 and they are still not getting that. Others are saying that if they made a mistake themselves they would have to pay for it to be resolved, and Aer Lingus would have no sympathy. They make a fortune off customers in such situations, so overall they won't lose if they honour the bookings. I think the bookings should be honoured in full. Yesterday they were not honouring the bookings; today they aren't honouring the bookings, so nothing has changed.

Why take this attitude? The glass is half full. You're getting a trip to New York for less than a Big Mac Meal. Just be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spot on, bren.
    Keep it in perspective - its a very good compromise.

Mr E wrote: »
    Spot on, bren.
    Keep it in perspective - its a very good compromise.

Part of me feels though, why should it be up to us to compromise? Aer Lingus broke contract law and are now offering us less of a deal than we previously agreed to. They lied numerous times about what has happened, and went as far as to say that there was no contract. There obviously was, and now they have copped on to this.

In saying that, I will probably agree to this deal because I am bored with the whole situation now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Aer Lingus should be made honour it, but to be honest if I'd bought it I'd probably just accept the economy fare. A legal challenge lost could mean no flight at all.

We should all meet up in the States and go for a pint :)

mur.gif

noelwpb wrote: »
    We should all meet up in the States and go for a pint :)

For anyone going to Boston, the Beantown pub on Tremont St does a savage burger and it's a good spot for watchin sport....no GAA though. Waitresses aint to hard on the eyes either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Taking a legal case at this stage would be silly - there's no way it would get before a judge before the flights were due to be taken, and I doubt the legal case is as clear cut now.

penexpers wrote: »
    Taking a legal case at this stage would be silly - there's no way it would get before a judge before the flights were due to be taken, and I doubt the legal case is as clear cut now.

No, and a legal case that means you couldn't fly in August would negate the fact that you want to fly in August. It would be a total case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bren2002 wrote: »
    Why take this attitude? The glass is half full. You're getting a trip to New York for less than a Big Mac Meal. Just be grateful.

The flights cost over €300.... no one is flying for the price of a big mac...

Im only paying €198 for the flight.. so around 60 Big Macs

Kinda hungry now :p

Now you're starting to sound like you're deadhorse.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/aerlingus.html
    RTÉ has learned that a number of Aer Lingus staff availed of the €5 deal offered in error on the airline's website.

The number is thought to be few, but RTÉ understands that friends and family of Aer Lingus staff also bought tickets as word spread on the grapevine.

Aer Lingus Commercial Director Enda Corneille told RTÉ that any staff who availed of the offer would not be the subject of disciplinary moves.

AdvertisementHe said a full investigation into the sequence of events associated with the debacle, including how the company handled itself in the media, will begin next week.

Today Aer Lingus said it would offer economy class seats to all customers who booked €5 flights to the US.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio's News at One, Mr Corneille said all customers would now be offered the option of travelling in economy class but not on business class.

He also said that the airline handled the situation badly.

The airline blamed a technical fault for Wednesday's error, which saw up to 300 people book business class flights to the US for €5.

Aer Lingus said yesterday it would not compensate customers, only stating that no funds would be deducted from their accounts.

However, the airline now says it believes that some customers genuinely believed that they were making a booking in economy class.

It is contacting passengers that have been affected in order to rebook their travel arrangements.

Aer Lingus says it accepts that its customers were upset and inconvenienced by the error and apologises unreservedly.

The glitch affected customers between 7.30am and 9am on Wednesday, when promotional fares on its transatlantic route were loaded onto the website accidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Human nature, of course the employees are going to go for it. :)

So who gets fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Jg1982 wrote: »
    No, and a legal case that means you couldn't fly in August would negate the fact that you want to fly in August. It would be a total case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    I don't think the small claims court takes that long. Aerlingus have 15 days to respond to a claim. If they don't its an automatic win for the claimant.

Is there a reason that the 4 in the Irish Independant are going through the circuit court instead of the small claims court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I believe they said that before they did the u-turn and realised the errors of their ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Should i sue? I didnt book flights cos i didnt know about it but would have had i known. Therefore i feel the aer lingus have done me out of it too by not letting me know in the first place.

so i feel left out! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

faceman wrote: »
    Should i sue? I didnt book flights cos i didnt know about it but would have had i known. Therefore i feel the aer lingus have done me out of it too by not letting me know in the first place.

so i feel left out! :(

i say you have a case there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

axer wrote: »
    I don't think the small claims court takes that long. Aerlingus have 15 days to respond to a claim. If they don't its an automatic win for the claimant.
    They may have only 15 days to respond but in reality no small claims registrar will grant a default judgement until 6 weeks have elapsed from service of the claim on the respondent.
    axer wrote: »
    Is there a reason that the 4 in the Irish Independent are going through the circuit court instead of the small claims court?
    Damages in the small claims court are capped at €2000, district court €6350 and Circuit court €38000.

I suspect they are seeking damages greater than €6350 which would easily be the value of 2 return business class seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dougiehowlett

I am one of the lucky few who availed of the 'special sale'.

All I asked for was economy tickets and Aer Lingus have now relented.

Anyone looking for business tickets is just plain greedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Anyone looking for business tickets is just plain greedy.

But people who were looking for €5 flights which were mistakenly sold, most likely due to human error are not greedy? Oh yes they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement