Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus website mistake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The flight was still €180, most of which goes to the airline. There are no departure taxes in Ireland, and I am quite positive the US.

I hope you never have a human error when purchasing an aer lingus flight. I have, and they will charge you €35 per person each way to fix it. €140 per couple in my case.

I also booked flights a few weeks ago, and in the booking process the flights increased by €30+ euro and despite unticking the insurance box, they still charged me it.

Do Munster not pay for all your flights Dougie? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

there is no tax on flights out of Ireland.

You sure that's right?
    I get charged taxes on Ryanair flights out of Ireland all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

JimmyO wrote: »
    Well yes and no. I agree that I was stunned at the price when I saw it but if Ryair can fly me to Paris for €0.01 plus charges (as they often offer) then it seemed reasonable that Aer Lingus can fly me to New York for €5. I haven't measured the distances but you get my point.

To top that off, I've booked time off work when I received the confirmation. Not sure if I can have that undone. Plus my girfriend works freelance and she cancelled bookings she had made. She's never been to New York and that was the only reason why she cancelled them.

Aer Lingus offered to book us flights at the (as far as I'm concerned) increased price but that's well out of our price range.

My heart bleeds for you man. Why on earth were you on the website in the first place looking to book if you could not afford it FFS?

Accept the fact that you tried to pull a fast one and you expect us to feel sorry for you. Fair play if you got away with it but save on the violin please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jimd2 wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for you man. Why on earth were you on the website in the first place looking to book if you could not afford it FFS?

Accept the fact that you tried to pull a fast one and you expect us to feel sorry for you. Fair play if you got away with it but save on the violin please.

So you not allowed check prices on sites unless you are 100% sure you can afford them ?

maybe he was silly and believed the ads aerligus have all over the place about their summer sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You sure that's right?
    I get charged taxes on Ryanair flights out of Ireland all the time?
    No, you get charged the other bits in the tax, and charges list.

There is no departure tax, no VAT, not even duty on the fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

What?!?!

I'm not expecting you to feel anything. I was looking for a cheap break away and I found one. I could afford that but could afford the revised price. It's not that complicated.

Care to read my posts again? I deemed it perfectly reasonable for Aer Lingus to offer these fares.

DUB to CDG €0.01
    DUB to JFK €5.00

Mile for mile the New York trip works out as the dearer of the two.

Fast one my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Greedy Irish chancers.

If the error was in the wrong direction i.e you were charged 1800 instead of 180 and hadn't noticed the mistake at the time, how many of you wouldn't want a refund because you hadn't noticed the mistake!

Aer Lingus are going to get shafted due to greed. Compo culture at it's worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jg1982

Compo culture???? Are you joking??? I just want what they sold me yesterday morning. They've given something and then taken it away. I don't want compensation....I want the product I purchased. It's called "consumer rights" and it's very rare that the consumer gets one over on Big Business. They're all to happy to shaft the consumer, so screw them....they made a mistake and we pounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Victor_M wrote: »
    Greedy Irish chancers.
    What has being Irish got to do with it?
    You has racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Wow i think aer lingus has infiltrated the website....

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    What has being Irish got to do with it?
    You has racism?

Hagar you can take you overtly pc response and shove it where the sun don't shine!

Racism - the most over used "change the subject" word used on boards.

As I mentioned in my example if the Aer Lingus billing system made a mistake in the other direction what would like to see happen?

As the saying goes "if it appears too good to be true, it usually is"

closifer wrote: »
    Wow i think aer lingus has infiltrated the website....

Why? Because I can accept that mistakes happen occasionally?

Greedy Irish chancers.

If the error was in the wrong direction i.e you were charged 1800 instead of 180 and hadn't noticed the mistake at the time, how many of you wouldn't want a refund because you hadn't noticed the mistake!

Aer Lingus are going to get shafted due to greed. Compo culture at it's worst

That's BS.

I've booked at least 3 flights with Aer Lingus to discover the price dropped after I booked it. Did Aer Lingus call to offer me a refund of the 'overcharge'? No!

If I went to the website and saw €1800 and booked it then fair enough. That's the price I opted to buy at. What you're saying is if I bought at €180 and they charged €1800 to my card. That's a different thing entirely.

This is more than just disgruntled Aer Lingus customers at this stage. This can set a precedent for the future of E-Commerce.

Most fares appear "too good to be true" though. Most people (myself included) who booked these flights, didn't know they were Business Class until long after we'd booked them. Therefore (as pointed out by Jimmy0 above) they appeared to be a cheap flight to New York in the same way that Ryanair offer cheap flights to Paris and Warsaw etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Byrner10

Victor M, you are talking trash. Or should we call you Victor Meldrew (doubt I'm the first to coin the idea).

If I walked into HMV today and got the Sopranos box set for €4.99 instead of the usual €79.99, I doubt they would come running down the road after me because of "their mistake", especially if it was priced on said box at €4.99 when I entered our agreement.

The consumers in this case are being ripped off. If you get off your high horse (unless you are Dermot Mannion in disguise) and get down to the simple logistics of it, you can see it for what it is and not through tinted eyes. In simple legal terms:

1) An offer was made by Aer Lingus to the consumers
    2) This offer was accepted by the consumers
    3) Consideration was paid by the consumers

These are the basics of contract law (though there are additional parts), and no doubt Aer Finglas will attempt to have some loophole in place to protect themselves for such exposures. In my eyes though, the consumers did nothing wrong.

Consumers 1 - 0 Big Corp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand, I say fu*k Aer Lingus, I've booked with them before and they went on strike and I missed out on a holiday.

On the other hand if I booked something and they came back and said it was a mistake, I'd say fair enough, genuine mistake. Move on. I personally wouldn't expect to get the flight for the wrong price, I don't care what the rights and wrongs are in legal terms.

For the people going on the news and radio about this, get a life, you just look sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I fly to the UK regularly with work, the company paid 650 euro for a return flight to Birmingham with KLM, i KNOW KLM are a ripoff but alot of Irish people wouldn't have a clue. So how are people supposed to know how much a flight to the states cost, Aer Lingus are supposedly a low cost carrier.

Again, a business saying "The customer is a retard" is bullsh*t, booking systems are booking systems, they relied on a system to take out the manual labour, if they screw it up then they have to accept the consequences.

I truely hope they get their flights.

Remember aswell, your talking percieved loss not actual, those seats might not even be filled on the flight, even if they dont give them to them.

Maybe you would be better off moving to Burma or Tibet, where you actually don't have any rights whatsoever. As opposed to mere consumer rights Bill?

Those people complaining to the media are really sad for standing up for something. Ur dead right.

I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Byrner10 wrote: »
    Maybe you would be better off moving to Burma or Tibet, where you actually don't have any rights whatsoever. As opposed to mere consumer rights Bill?

Those people complaining to the media are really sad for standing up for something. Ur dead right.

I think not

lol, don't let the bitterness eat you up.......

Victor M, you are talking trash. Or should we call you Victor Meldrew (doubt I'm the first to coin the idea).

If I walked into HMV today and got the Sopranos box set for €4.99 instead of the usual €79.99, I doubt they would come running down the road after me because of "their mistake", especially if it was priced on said box at €4.99 when I entered our agreement.

The consumers in this case are being ripped off. If you get off your high horse (unless you are Dermot Mannion in disguise) and get down to the simple logistics of it, you can see it for what it is and not through tinted eyes. In simple legal terms:

These are the basics of contract law (though there are additional parts), and no doubt Aer Finglas will attempt to have some loophole in place to protect themselves for such exposures. In my eyes though, the consumers did nothing wrong.

Consumers 1 - 0 Big Corp

They didn't advertise E5 flights, that is what appeared when the website went to check the filght availability and prices - due to a typo, glitch, error what ever.

Amazingly all you eagle eyed bargain hunters noticed everything except the fact that they were business class seats, because to admit this would reinforce what most honest people think - you were chancing your arm!

This is the third time I have asked this:

If you booked a flight, it was priced on the website at E1800 accidentally but you didn't notice the decimal place & thought it was E180 which would be the more realistic price for such a flight, what would you do? Just take it on the chin becasue it was an honest mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Hagar you can take you overtly pc response and shove it where the sun don't shine!

PC? Me? Are you serious? Get a grip on yourself. Maybe you already have, let go, you'll go blind.

I constantly get bombarded with spam emails from Aer Lingus offering flights at very low prices, a flight for a fiver is not unusual, very common in fact. I strongly suspect that they intended to advertise and sell a small number of flights at the low price but I think where they made the mistake was to forget to put a limit on the number of €5 flights. When they saw what they had done they welched on the whole deal including the genuine bargain flights that they intended to sell.

I'll answer ur question. Any idiot that hits "confirm" on a website before checking the amount they are paying deserves to be ripped off.

That's just plain silly.

You as a conusmer will take careful note of how much you are paying before purchasing. At least 99.999% of people will

This is the third time I have asked this:

If you booked a flight, it was priced on the website at E1800 accidentally but you didn't notice the decimal place & thought it was E180 which would be the more realistic price for such a flight, what would you do? Just take it on the chin becasue it was an honest mistake?

I gave you my answer about 7 posts ago!

If I didn't notice a decimal point that was clearly posted on a website then tough luck on me. I'll give you that. Would be My bad.

For the 2nd time. That's not the case here.

I gave you my answer about 7 posts ago!

If I didn't notice a decimal point that was clearly posted on a website then tough luck on me. I'll give you that. Would be My bad.

For the 2nd time. That's not the case here.

You didn't answer my question, you gave a example similar to mine but chanced the scenarios around to suit you're argument.

JimmyO, just to make sure I understood your last reply. If you booked a flight which you thought you were paying 180E for but due to a technical glitch in the system the price appeared at 1800, even though it was a mistake and on the screen in front of you, but you hadn't noticed it, you wouldn't complain or look for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Consumers 1 - 0 Big Corp

There's 10 pages here and I haven't read them all so forgive me if this has been pointed out already, but under consumer law the consumer is not allowed to profit from a genuine mistake in pricing made by the retailer.

It's pretty clear that AerLingus did not intend to sell these seats at the price they were purchased at, it was a mistake. After the mistake was realised they were obliged to either honour the agreement, or offer a full refund to the customers affected. Considering it would cost AerLingus somewhere in the region of half a million Euro to give these tickets away (price I heard on the radio yesterday, so may not be accurate) it's hardly surprising they opted for the latter, and gave out a refund.

The only thing AerLingus did wrong was mistakenly offer the tickets at the cut down price in the first place, everything else they have done was perfectly within their rights.

You didn't answer my question, you gave a example similar to mine but chanced the scenarios around to suit you're argument.

JimmyO, just to make sure I understood your last reply. If you booked a flight which you thought you were paying 180E for but due to a technical glitch in the system the price appeared at 1800, even though it was a mistake and on the screen in front of you, but you hadn't noticed it, you wouldn't complain or look for a refund?

You haven't read my answer.

If it appeared on the system at 1800.00 and was clearly on the website as 1800.00 and I opted to buy at 1800.00 then fair enough I would pay 1800.00.

I obviously pay more attenetion when buying on line than you do. I check and cross check everything before I select confirm so there's no possibility I would not notice something.

If it appeared on the system at 180.00 and was clearly on the website as 180.00 and I opted to buy at 180.00 and was then asked to pay 1800.00 then of course I complain and look for a refund.

You haven't read my answer.

If it appeared on the system at 1800.00 and was clearly on the website as 1800.00 and I opted to buy at 1800.00 then fair enough I would pay 1800.00.

I obviously pay more attenetion when buying on line than you do. I check and cross check everything before I select confirm so there's no possibility I would not notice something.

If it appeared on the system at 180.00 and was clearly on the website as 180.00 and I opted to buy at 180.00 and was then asked to pay 1800.00 then of course I complain and look for a refund.

So you checked and cross checked and still didn't notice they were business class?

or

you did see they were business class (which is perfectly visable on the confirmation page) and won't admit that you chanced your arm, it didn't work out but you are hoping that if enough chancers make enough moise that Aer Lingus will be bullied/embarrased into letting you away with it.

You knew it was a mistake, come on admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This is more than just disgruntled Aer Lingus customers at this stage. This can set a precedent for the future of E-Commerce.

Ah C'mon Jimmy. This was a genuine mistake. You chanced your arm and they copped it. Your world didn't fall apart like you're trying to portray. Any employer will allow you to change your holidays under the circumstances. Get over it.

Lets say you were selling your car for €5,000 but when putting the ad in the paper, you mistakenly put in €5 and don't realise it. You then get a call from someone saying they'll take it asking price. You say great. They say great. Later that day they come and put the car on the back of a truck and the guy turns and gives you a fiver and starts heading off. You agreed to sell the car at asking price and he agreed to buy. Would you feel aggrieved? Would you feel you are being ripped off or even robbed by this person? Of course you would. Would you say "well I put the ad in for €5 and agreed to sell for asking price so I guess I have to sell it for €5, oh well". Damn right you wouldn't. You would probably be on here moaning about how you were ripped off and how your world has fallen apart.

Ah C'mon Jimmy. This was a genuine mistake. You chanced your arm and they copped it. Your world didn't fall apart like you're trying to portray. Any employer will allow you to change your holidays under the circumstances. Get over it.

Lets say you were selling your car for €5,000 but when putting the ad in the paper, you mistakenly put in €5 and don't realise it. You then get a call from someone saying they'll take it asking price. You say great. They say great. Later that day they come and put the car on the back of a truck and the guy turns and gives you a fiver and starts heading off. You agreed to sell the car at asking price and he agreed to buy. Would you feel aggrieved? Would you feel you are being ripped off or even robbed by this person? Of course you would. Would you say "well I put the ad in for €5 and agreed to sell for asking price so I guess I have to sell it for €5, oh well". Damn right you wouldn't. You would probably be on here moaning about how you were ripped off and how your world has fallen apart.

Eh, but your missing the point here. If, before I gave your man the car, he says to me "I'm giving you a fiver for the car, is that ok?", I would say "NO! The price of the car is €5,000". Aer Lingus took our money and agreed to the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

If you booked a flight which you thought you were paying 180E for but due to a technical glitch in the system the price appeared at 1800, even though it was a mistake and on the screen in front of you, but you hadn't noticed it, you wouldn't complain or look for a refund?

I would complain. I would demand a refund. But how far do you think I would get?
    AL would simply,& quite rightly, rely on the integrity of their booking systems & all the prompts they give you to tick this box and tick that box etc before proceeding.
    They would rely on the 'Fare Rules' which you must confirm you have read which states absolutely no refunds.
    If that wasn't enough, they would possibly start quoting contract law and how the transaction constitutes a valid and enforceable contract.
    All this they could quite happily and quite rightly do because depsite your claim that you made a mistake and didn't realise you were paying an incorrect price, they had no way of knowing that and therefore it could not be claimed that they attempted to profit from such a mistake.

Please remember that simply by being made aware of such a mistake, after the key steps in entering into a contract have been completed, does not invalidate that contract.
    For the defence of mistake to be claimed, in your example, you would have to prove that AL were consciously aware that as you were proceeding through the booking process and confirming your acceptance of an €1,800 fare which is normally €180.

So, if I made such a mistake, I could whinge and moan and stamp my feet all I like but I would not have a legal leg to stand on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement