Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus US Seat Sale

Options

Comments

This has occurred before with air France recently (who had a mistake business fare to Oz) and they were honoured.
    My opinion is that EI may be in trouble in that the booking on the site represents a contract regardless of the mistake made at EI's end.
    That in my opinion is probably why they've been honoured in the past.

The Biz class ticket would cost about 3.5k return and with about a 100 of them bought,it would be a costly mistake if they have to honour it.
    It depends I suppose if one of the hundred purchasers want to take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

This has occurred before with air France recently (who had a mistake business fare to Oz) and they were honoured.
    My opinion is that EI may be in trouble in that the booking on the site represents a contract regardless of the mistake made at EI's end.
    That in my opinion is probably why they've been honoured in the past.

The Biz class ticket would cost about 3.5k return and with about a 100 of them bought,it would be a costly mistake if they have to honour it.
    It depends I suppose if one of the hundred purchasers want to take it further.

Not really... you would want to check the terms and conditions attached to the website. For instance, once you order with Amazon and have received your confirmation - you have not entered into a contract. Amazon expressly only enter into a contract with you once they have dispatched the item, hence they can revoke the order at any time up until that point. The same is true of most online retailers. I don't have time to check the terms and conditions on the Aer Lingus website but I am quite sure something similar will exist - I have been told it does on Ryanair.

Furthermore, you can have a contract rescinded for an honest mistake in the case of retailing and booking.

There is no obligation on the part of Aer Lingus to honour these flights. Sorry guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

they are discussing this on the Ray Darcy show at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

My understanding of a "mistake" and the the opportunity to rescind a contract as a result of this is only relevant where the other party was aware of the mistake and attempted to benefit from it.

This "technical error" arose on flights to the US during Aer Lingus's heavily promoted 'US Summer Sale' week at a time when free \ cheap flights are the norm.

In my opinion, it would be near impossible for AL to legally cancel the contract claiming mistake given the above. I genuinely believe that those people who managed to secure a booking thought they had genuinely grabbed a bargain. Keep the pressure on AL to honour their contractual obligations.

Do the math:
    Technical Error = 100 bookings @ €3,500 loss each = €350,000 Loss

Issue a non-specific email cancelling bookings & half those affected walk away = Loss is reduced to €175,000

Deal with the less well-informed who decide to challenge this and convince half of these with lawyer-speak that AL are entitled to cancel the bookings = Reduce the loss to €87,500

and so on and so on until the loss is reduced to a more palatible amount.

If the T's & C's contained a get-out clause or there was a specific legal point which Aer Lingus were relying on when they cancelled these bookings, you can be sure they would have quoted these chapter and verse in the cancellation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

dubmick wrote: »
    they are discussing this on the Ray Darcy show at the moment

Tried to listen online and it says "Account suspended

Account for domain audio.todayfm.com has been suspended" :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

avantarklu wrote: »
    My understanding of a "mistake" and the the opportunity to rescind a contract as a result of this is only relevant where the other party was aware of the mistake and attempted to benefit from it.

This "technical error" arose on flights to the US during Aer Lingus's heavily promoted 'US Summer Sale' week at a time when free \ cheap flights are the norm.

In my opinion, it would be near impossible for AL to legally cancel the contract claiming mistake given the above. I genuinely believe that those people who managed to secure a booking thought they had genuinely grabbed a bargain. Keep the pressure on AL to honour their contractual obligations.

Do the math:
    Technical Error = 100 bookings @ €3,500 loss each = €350,000 Loss

Issue a non-specific email cancelling bookings & half those affected walk away = Loss is reduced to €175,000

Deal with the less well-informed who decide to challenge this and convince half of these with lawyer-speak that AL are entitled to cancel the bookings = Reduce the loss to €87,500

and so on and so on until the loss is reduced to a more palatible amount.

If the T's & C's contained a get-out clause or there was a specific legal point which Aer Lingus were relying on when they cancelled these bookings, you can be sure they would have quoted these chapter and verse in the cancellation email.

Your hypothesis is dependent on there being a contract though. Most companies create their terms and conditions in such a manner to limit the contract which they make. If for instance, they delay the charge to one's credit card by 48 hours as a buffer to ensure that everything is order, then there will be no consideration and without consideration there will not be a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The arguement on Morning Ireland this morning from the Aer Lingus chap was that people should have realised it was a mistake, especially as the economy fare was so expensive vis a vis the €5. He was not prepared to get into the legal complexities of it.

Aine Lawlor made the point of the previous time an error happened in 2003; he declined to address that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

johnfás wrote: »
    Your hypothesis is dependent on there being a contract though. Most companies create their terms and conditions in such a manner to limit the contract which they make. If for instance, they delay the charge to one's credit card by 48 hours as a buffer to ensure that everything is order, then there will be no consideration and without consideration there will not be a contract.

Agreed, and that is quite likely what it will boil down to. Another poster on this issue (different thread) has claimed "Providing the credit card details means the contract would be supported with "executory" or future consideration and if the other party does not honour the contract then they would be in breach. Thus a contract has been formed in this situation."

Sounds good to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I don't see how EI can claim that they made a mistake and the money hadn't been drawn from your account yet, so there was no contract.

If this is the case then why can the consumer not back out of the non-contract they agree to during this same period ?

When you book a flight with any of the carriers you are expressly told that once you click on the 'proceed' button there is no going back. Why can the airline go back when the customer can't ?

Imagine what would happen if you rang them up (oh, hang on a sec they will only take complaints in writing) and said you made a pricing mistake and didn't mean to book that flight to London for €200 and you were unilaterally cancelling the transaction. They would laugh, hang up and take your money, claiming you had entered a contract with them.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

zagmund wrote: »
    Imagine what would happen if you rang them up (oh, hang on a sec they will only take complaints in writing) and said you made a pricing mistake and didn't mean to book that flight to London for €200 and you were unilaterally cancelling the transaction. They would laugh, hang up and take your money, claiming you had entered a contract with them.

z

I actually tried to cancel the flights I got yesterday!! I booked them as soon as I saw them but when I contacted my mate we realised the dates booked didn't suit. Contacted Aerlingus and was told I'd only get back €88 of the €330 paid.

Decided to see if arrangments could be re-worked so as not to loose money. Spent a lot of time doing it but manged to sort it out so was very excited to by travelling.

After causing all sorts of hassle for lots of other people EI tell me tough luck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

zagmund wrote: »
    I don't see how EI can claim that they made a mistake and the money hadn't been drawn from your account yet, so there was no contract.

If this is the case then why can the consumer not back out of the non-contract they agree to during this same period ?

When you book a flight with any of the carriers you are expressly told that once you click on the 'proceed' button there is no going back. Why can the airline go back when the customer can't ?

z

very fair point, mr z.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

very fair point, mr z.

+1

It could easily form the basis of a case that the contract is unequal if aer lingus can claim mistake but the purchaser can't. Then again, probably all covered in ALs T&C's which we 'accept' when we tick that box. Someone should take a test case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hasn't this all this been discussed before when the likes of HMV or Dell or who ever miss price something you try and buy it only to receive an email to say your order had been cancelled due to a miss price?

Most the responses there seem to be that until your credit card has been charged no contract exists and who ever it is, is within their rights to cancel?

I'm not saying its right but I don't think they have much chance legal of getting them. Maybe AL will do it on a good will gesture but I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

You are dead right kearnsr, there have been many cases of 'pricing errors' with online retailers in the past (I remember the digital camera fiasco with Apple) and the consumer always loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Maybe they should offer "economy" fare tickets at the original flawed price as a goodwill/pr offering, but there is no way they will honour the premier seats at that price!
    I think most people would accept that and the problem would dissapear and it would reflect well for the airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JimmyO.. scrambled URL. Please repost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

Cheers kaizersoze.
    The National Consumer Agency has been in contact with Aer Lingus this morning and is seeking a meeting with senior management in the company with a view to reaching a fair deal for those customers affected.
    Best of luck to all those who got the cheap flights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A couple of family members had these tickets including my sister in law and 15 of her colleagues. They are all professionals and were delighted to get the cheap seats. They will not go quietly i guarantee you that.

The louder of the seat grabbers are planning to ring into Liveline (where else hey?) to get their views on air.

dsmythy wrote: »
    The louder of the seat grabbers are planning to ring into Liveline (where else hey?) to get their views on air.

Perfect clientele for premier transatlantic seats :rolleyes:

I can just picture the scene as the freeloaders take their seats beside somebody who has paid over 3k for the privilege! A fiver you say :eek:

industria wrote: »
    I can just picture the scene as the freeloaders take their seats beside somebody who has paid over 3k for the privilege! A fiver you say :eek:
    Personally, I don't think Aer Lingus will ever honour those particular €5 business flights.

But they will be forced to offer compensation for the inconvienience.. possibly flight vouchers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

basquille wrote: »
    Cheers kaizersoze.

Best of luck to all those who got the cheap flights!

But can they actually do anything? If no contract exists what can they do?

AL will have themselfs covered I bet you

basquille wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think Aer Lingus will ever honour those particular €5 business flights.

But they will be forced to offer compensation for the inconvienience.. possibly flight vouchers.

I doubt it

kearnsr wrote: »
    But can they actually do anything? If no contract exists what can they do?
    According to someone on the radio this morning, payment was taken on some credit cards (and subsequently refunded).

If that was the case, the contract was completed. And then revoked,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dropping the tickets to economy class will do for them. The tickets cost over 200 euro. More than enough to cover those type of seats without too much of a loss to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

lol

I hope these peasants aren't next to me when I am flying over.

lol

I hope these peasants aren't next to me when I am flying over.

Absolutely.. Nothing worse than when you are sipping your complimentary champagne and there's working class people stinking out the cabin!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

At best I would imagine Aer Lingus will transfer affected customers onto economy class seats. At the end of the day is it realistic to expect a company to lose money based on one persons mistake? You know there's no chance of getting business class flights at those prices.

If people were realistic they'd take economy flights at a discount and go to the U.S happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement