Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

calex71 wrote: »
    I have an open mind about this , there seems to be a very vocal minority willing to knock it before they try it. It could be rubbish but I'm not coming to this game expecting it to be exactly like the originals, clue in the name really , it's called Thief , not Thief 4.

AH now, that is a serious dig at the fans of the original. Its clear that this new game is not aimed at the people who bought the originals & Thief Deadly Shadows.

This really looks like its aimed at the Call of Duty people.

Now, people might disagree with me, but I hope it absolutely flops and gets panned in reviews. Thief is my favourite series of all time, and every thing I hear about this game makes it sound worse and more removed that was Thief is supposed to be.

Its clear they went the wrong direction with this game, and have tried to backtrack on some things, but that won't change much in fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

humanji wrote: »
    Well from the trailer we get that there's an oppressive regime, so that could still be in line with the older games. But it's also set long after the original trilogy, so it's possible the old factions have been enveloped or wiped out by this new faction. I can't imagine they'd wouldn't at least try to tie the story in with the original trilogy.

As for the game itself, I'm expecting something like the new Splinter cell game, as in it being a good game, but not like the old ones at all.
    I'm getting more Syndicate the FPS vibes then anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

I'm a massive Thief fan but this is leaving me cold. Really hoping it turns out good. I've just finished Dishonoured with a clean hands/ghost/shadow play so I'm looking for another good stealth game.

I'm looking forward to this and tbh I'd much prefer a game that comes in under 15 hours than one that takes 60 hours and is nothing more than padding.

I was considering the PS4 version but with the PC version going for under €25 euro it's a no-brainer.

I was considering the PS4 version but with the PC version going for under €25 euro it's a no-brainer.

How is it so cheap?

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    How is it so cheap?

Steam codes can generally be gotten quite cheap online in comparison to instore prices. I got the last Batman game for under €20 a week before release and paid €27 or so for Bioshock Infinite on release day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Some impressions on PCGamer.com from about 4 hours playing, and it doesn't sound promising. Not bad, but just not what people hoped for.

Some impressions on PCGamer.com from about 4 hours playing, and it doesn't sound promising. Not bad, but just not what people hoped for.

And probably even worse for fans of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

22.99 on g2play

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

• Advertisement

Got a chance to read that.

Sounds worse than I imagined, and I imagined bad.

I knew Garret would be lifeless without Stephen Russell voicing him, but the whole thing sounds dull and lifeless, an empty city with trinkets around the place.

Really sounds like they drew too much from Dishonoured (purposely) instead of the 3 incredibly rich detailed Thief games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Who's preordered? Was going to hold off until it was released and wait for reviews/feedback but Amazon have it at GBP 44 today.

A preview clip of some of the mechanics. Nothing overly new. It does look nice and there's some nice little animation touches. To be honest I'll probably pick it up on launch, as I lack any willpower. That is unless reviews come out first and it's truly atrocious. All I'm really expecting at this stage is for it to be a bit of fun that reminds me to re-install the old games. I'm not expecting a worthy successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There's a youtube vid that shows the customization options you can choose on ps4 (presumably on all platforms also) where you are choosing the difficulty, select custom and turn as much stuff off or on as you want. Like turn off takedown animations, reduce collectibles, 1 hit your dead, fewer saves, spotted and it's game over, etc. You can basically make a hardcore mode for yourself. Devs wanted to stop all the whiners I spose :) Still looks an awful like dishonored, gonna wait for reviews.

All I'm really expecting at this stage is for it to be a bit of fun that reminds me to re-install the old games.

It only reminds me of Dishonoured, I see nothing of the old Thief games here.

Where are the hammers, the keepers, the pagans, etc. Garret in this isn't even trained by the keepers, he is self trained, there's no reason to even call him Garret, especially since this new version is all floaty hands and zero personality.

I love the old games, I can hear that weird loud background noise now that used to play in the cut scenes. Damn them games looked like crap, but the sound design and atmosphere is second to none.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Devs wanted to stop all the whiners I spose :) Still looks an awful like dishonored, gonna wait for reviews.

I'm obviously one of those whiners, and to me this isn't a Thief game, I won't be getting the game, I won't give Eidos/Square Enix another cent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Three words slightly off topic The Dark Mod

Playing this recently and wow! is all i can say.

Illl just leave these here :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems a tad unfair that if you preorder an unreleased game, nobody bats an eyelid. Criticize an unreleased game and folks call you a whiner and a foamy-mouted fanboy. :) I think Colonial Marines should be the go-to cautionary tale of how foolish it can be to buy a game sight unseen...
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    There's a youtube vid that shows the customization options you can choose on ps4 (presumably on all platforms also) where you are choosing the difficulty, select custom and turn as much stuff off or on as you want. Like turn off takedown animations, reduce collectibles, 1 hit your dead, fewer saves, spotted and it's game over, etc. You can basically make a hardcore mode for yourself. Devs wanted to stop all the whiners I spose :) Still looks an awful like dishonored, gonna wait for reviews.

Hey, credit where credit is due, shows they're at least receptive to the fanbase, those are the touches that can help. I'm still keeping an eye on the fundamentals though & how expansive / open the level design is. I do like a good furtive sneak around the back alley (ooh matron) and if that ain't there it's a definite no-thank-you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Got a chance to read that.

Sounds worse than I imagined, and I imagined bad.

I knew Garret would be lifeless without Stephen Russell voicing him, but the whole thing sounds dull and lifeless, an empty city with trinkets around the place.

Really sounds like they drew too much from Dishonoured (purposely) instead of the 3 incredibly rich detailed Thief games.

Expected to hear his voice in that 101 video. Just waiting to love it. Instead, all I got was disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

This seems like the place to post this(if not my apologies) seeing as many people arent too hopeful about it(myself included) but AMD are doing a giveaway each week this month, they are giving out 250 keys per wave for their never settle promotion. You get the silver level which entitles you to two games of your choice, the options are Thief, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Dirt 3. I managed to get a code in the first wave(last thursday) They will give a short warning before they will release them, it was a 5min warning on their facebook page the first time. I'd assume they'd be doing it again this thursday probably even around the same time if any of you folk fancy your chances at trying to get it for free.

http://eu.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/amd-never-settle-forever-1000-silver-key-giveaway

22 on g2play now.

Never a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

dreamers75 wrote: »
    22 on g2play now.

Never a good sign.

I feel foolish for per-ordering it on Steam for a much higher price!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I feel foolish for per-ordering it on Steam for a much higher price!

Doesn't Steam now offer refunds on preorders?

There's a play though of the first level on Youtube. It doesn't look too bad. The movement is a little to fluid for my liking, but I'd probably get use to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

like what i see....we have a sale :)

There's a play though of the first level on Youtube. It doesn't look too bad. The movement is a little to fluid for my liking, but I'd probably get use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I preordered it for £14.99 here in the UK via simplycdkeys. Absolute bargain I think. I like what I'm seeing.
    Is it just or is the lightning absolutely pointless? It seems like the enemies dont react to you being lit up by the lightning.

Light and Darkness, there looks to be no difference as far as the enemies are concerned from what was shown in that video.

The thing is, it's possible that it's either awful AI, or that it was done that way in order to show off the stealth aspects of the game. We won't know for sure until reviews start coming out.

The thing is, it's possible that it's either awful AI, or that it was done that way in order to show off the stealth aspects of the game. We won't know for sure until reviews start coming out.

I'm expecting the reviews to be mixed.

If the reviewer is long in the tooth, and has played the originals, then I can't see it getting a favourable review, but the kind of reviewer than gives COD games 90%+ will of course give this a good review.

18.33 on G2play.....tempted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like how all the walkways and climbable sections are highlighted and arbitrary and occasionally sparkle so you know that's a predetermined path you can choose. The Thief series has always been about having a choice of predetermined paths available to you.

It's looking very pretty, I'll grant you, but still no real sign of Thief in that game.

Advertisement