Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TB liking it a lot,the guy can be annoying but i rarely disagree with his reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

So have any boardsie's actually bought this and are playing it? Any feedback?
    PC Gamer gave it a rather favourable 79%. Enough for me to pick it up when it drops a bit, but was wondering if anyone has played it yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dacelonid wrote: »
    So have any boardsie's actually bought this and are playing it? Any feedback?
    PC Gamer gave it a rather favourable 79%. Enough for me to pick it up when it drops a bit, but was wondering if anyone has played it yet

I have it pre-loaded, just waiting for the release on Friday. Ill pass on my feedback then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Oh man im quite excited about this release.

• Sounds like a poor mans dishonored. Pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dishonoured was a poor man's Thief tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I have it pre-loaded, just waiting for the release on Friday. Ill pass on my feedback then!

Oh, thought I read somewhere it was out today, must be released in the States so.

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Oh, thought I read somewhere it was out today, must be released in the States so.

Tomorrow State-Side, Friday for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Tomorrow State-Side, Friday for us.

Looking on the TTLG forums, it seems some could be playing it already.

Now those guys there are worse than me, for being die hard fans of the originals and hating what has become of this new Thief.

Someone had posted this comparison with the originals, now its heavily biased.

X360A gave it a good review.
    Link.

The Telegraph, now so much.
    Link.

Seems to be buggy, the story is poor, and small linear map design. Those are the main criticisms it seems based on reviews, and most have stated that long time Thief fans will be disappointed.

I think that people writing the game off based on some review scores is a little silly. The game is getting above average reviews and a 6 or a 7 rating is really not all that bad. Honestly, some of the more enjoyable games in recent years have scored similiarly and with each yearly update of COD getting 9 or 10 then it's hard to take any of the higher scores seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah, it seems like a solid enough stealth experience, and a lot of fun if the favourable reviews are to believed. It's going to be compared against the originals and Dishonored, so unless it's a really top notch game, its going to suffer. But they have made concessions for people who want a less hand holding experience. You can turn off all HUD elements and even this Focus mechanic and really torture yourself on master difficult if thats what you want.

On PC especially, this highly detailed and atmospheric world will be a nice place to spend 20 odd hours in I reckon. I picked up a steam key for 18 quid, so it seems to be worth that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What ****e....

MISSION RUNNING
    This technical limitation destroys the chance for Eidos Montreal to design some truly Thief-like levels. At no point do you feel like you are infiltrating a whole and complete locale, because the game is simply unable to render one. Instead, missions follow a depressing linearity, in which Garrett regularly clambers over obstacles and drops down on the other side, only to discover that there is no way back up, so that the game can flush the previous locations from memory. This happens with such surprising regularity that, at best, Thief’s missions feel like a linear progression of smaller, non-linear interiors. At no point does Garrett sneak into a building, steal an object, and then leave the way he came; he always follows a linear path through an environment to be suddenly spat out at the other end. These paths feel claustrophobic, as most interiors conform to a series of narrow corridors or walkways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hear the writing is embarrassingly bad as well, throwing sexual references around willy nilly because we all know dick jokes and boobs are mature.

What ****e....

MISSION RUNNING
    This technical limitation destroys the chance for Eidos Montreal to design some truly Thief-like levels. At no point do you feel like you are infiltrating a whole and complete locale, because the game is simply unable to render one. Instead, missions follow a depressing linearity, in which Garrett regularly clambers over obstacles and drops down on the other side, only to discover that there is no way back up, so that the game can flush the previous locations from memory. This happens with such surprising regularity that, at best, Thief’s missions feel like a linear progression of smaller, non-linear interiors. At no point does Garrett sneak into a building, steal an object, and then leave the way he came; he always follows a linear path through an environment to be suddenly spat out at the other end. These paths feel claustrophobic, as most interiors conform to a series of narrow corridors or walkways.

Very similar to what was done with Hitman Absolution so, go through a door or something, into new area, and you couldn't go back. It was crap, not like previous hitman games at all, but not as linear sounding as that mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hear the writing is embarrassingly bad as well, throwing sexual references around willy nilly because we all know dick jokes and boobs are mature.
    Which was all the more surprising given Rhianna Pratchett's involvement. :(

Regarding the linearity issue, while Hitman Absolution's area locking seems to have been a deliberate attempt to force the player forward, from what I'm reading about Thief, it's more of a technical limitation than anything else.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm enjoying it so far. I think the reviews have been on the harsh side. RPS seems the most accurate I think.

There's a lot of ways this could have been better but also a lot of ways it could have been worse. A 4th best Thief game is still a Thief game!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gizmo wrote: »
    Regarding the linearity issue, while Hitman Absolution's area locking seems to have been a deliberate attempt to force the player forward, from what I'm reading about Thief, it's more of a technical limitation than anything else.
    Balls. I used to find it handy knowing where a certain health pack or clip was that I couldn't pick up, so that I could go back and pick it up in Hitman. In saying that, it does make it a slight bit harder in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just flicking through the marketplace on Xbox One and spotted no fewer than 5 day one DLC's 3 booster packs, and 2 game content ones a bank heist one and a challenge map called forsaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus think I'll give this one a miss. Was only playing Thief: DS during the week and it's a great little game that still holds up very well today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The description of those funneled 'open' areas is disappointing if true; certainly was what turned me off the latest Hitman game & if I can't craft my own thieving experience I'll be giving this a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If i was to listen to reviews id have missed out one some amount of gems.
    The best reviews are always your own opinions.

If however your afraid your throwing money away,do not buy on release day or pre order and then watch some live streams,that way you cut out the marketing trailers and the rest of marketing BS.
    With experience you get a reasonable impression of whether it might be something you enjoy or not, with single player games just beware of spoilers on the live streams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dcully wrote: »
    The best reviews are always your own opinions.

If however your afraid your throwing money away,do not buy on release day or pre order and then watch some live streams,that way you cut out the marketing trailers and the rest of marketing BS.

Of course over time the true consensus will form, but if this Thief experience is a noticeably linear one, I've no interest in the game, hidden gem or no; it just doesn't appear to offer the kind of experience I enjoy playing. I'll just go play Dishonoured again - or any of the previous Thief games - instead of dropping money on something that seems like a subpar iteration. When the dust settles we'll see the games final shape, but for now it doesn't look worth spending the money on.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'll just go play Dishonoured again - or any of the previous Thief games

Wasn't a big fan of Dishonoured, just made me want to play Thief. All this Thief 4 chat made me boot up Thief Gold again last night, and stuck in on the 47in TV, I thought it would look a lot worse.

I'm about half way through Cragscleft prison, despite how much I played this back 1998-2000, I got lost in the mines, and it took me a good while to get into the prison.

I don't think that would be tolerated in any modern game (Dark souls the exception), that you can get lost almost instantly at the start of a level, and the mines are so dark, its hard to tell if you are back tracking or not, and the map at the stage is non existent. I loved it anyways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I don't think that would be tolerated in any modern game

Might be if it was a "Lost in the Mines" achievement and had a button you could hold that would light a path out of the mines for you.

• Sarky wrote: »
    Dishonoured was a poor man's Thief tbh.
    Which makes this even more disapointing. Not doubting that the Old Thief wasn't better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

any more opinions on this guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The RPS review was heavily caveated (ie: 'I liked it but feature X and feature Y are terrible') and I'd not be surprised to see a second opinion (aka a group verdict) feature on the site. Then again, as much as I love RPS they occasionally throw a curveball and love/hate games unexpectedly (eg, Fallout: New Vegas, Bioshock Infinite)
    Dcully wrote: »
    The best reviews are always your own opinions
    So your process usually runs like so: illegally download the game, form an opinion, decide to buy it, make purchase? ;)

6's and 7's for reviews. I remember that used to mean it was a great game. Now we are stuck in a world where people get butt hurt over they're little game not getting the standard 8.

I bought this game months ago and im still happy with that purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I was look forward to this, it seemed like my type of game but judging by the reviews I think I might leave it off, at least until I can pick it up cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

6's and 7's for reviews. I remember that used to mean it was a great game
    When? Because I can remember hopelessly inflated game scores in the early-1990s

Advertisement