Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sarky wrote: »
    but still no real sign of Thief in that game.

None, I noticed the odd sound effect from Thief in it, the lock picking sounded similar, and the guard in the jewellery store, his foot steps sounded like a Burricks footsteps from Thief1.

The City looked practically empty and very linear too, looks like Dishonoured to me, I don't see Thief here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Didn't hear a single utterance of 'taffer', either. Very telling. <sage nod>

Ya, thats not good, thats it, I'm gonna hook the laptop to the TV tonight and see can I play Thief I with surround sound, here's hoping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I hope that they have not altered the 'traditional' atmosphere of the Thief series beyond recognition!

I hope that they have not altered the 'traditional' atmosphere of the Thief series beyond recognition!

Well I think its gone already based on what I have seen and heard of the new game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Well I think its gone already based on what I have seen and heard of the new game.

I had hoped that they would retain some of the more 'fun' elements of the game world, still though - Ill try and approach it with an open mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

To me it's just a repainted dishonoured and while that game was good it did kind of come down to simply a series of levels each one providing a puzzle to solve. I enjoyed the game but it felt lacking in an almost indescribable way. This thief game will probably be fine as a game in it's own right but with garret voiced by someone new and no sign of the hammerites, "taffers" and so on the world doesn't look or feel right at all.

mewso wrote: »
    To me it's just a repainted dishonoured and while that game was good it did kind of come down to simply a series of levels each one providing a puzzle to solve. I enjoyed the game but it felt lacking in an almost indescribable way. This thief game will probably be fine as a game in it's own right but with garret voiced by someone new and no sign of the hammerites, "taffers" and so on the world doesn't look or feel right at all.

All this confirms the worries I had for the game.

I won't be getting the game, as its not Thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Is Gamestop still worthless? Honest question, I never visited the place again after the Gerstmann incident.

Watching the original cutscenes on Youtube has me itching to play the games again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Is Gamestop still worthless? Honest question, I never visited the place again after the Gerstmann incident.
    Neither have I. Remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's not bad. But you'll rarely get a preview article that slams a game, so take this as a bit of an overview of the game features rather than a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

humanji wrote: »
    It's not bad. But you'll rarely get a preview article that slams a game, so take this as a bit of an overview of the game features rather than a recommendation.

Is there anywhere that's decent? Gaming sites on the whole just seem to be awful. It's message boards I go to for reviews and opinions.

They're all pretty much the same. Rock Paper Shotgun isn't bad. They're not as shy about pointing out bad games, but it's always going to be other peoples opinions. Boards will always be the best place to go. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

All this confirms the worries I had for the game.

I won't be getting the game, as its not Thief.

I'm certain it will be a good game just not a thief game. These guys did well with Deus Ex but I suspect they have taken their lead from Dishonoured being a successful modern game inspired in some ways by thief. This is the reality of AAA development if you ask me. The idea that a big studio would ever produce anything like the original games is far from surprising. Deus Ex is a bit of an anomaly in that it did take it's lead from the original game when so many "reboots" have simply looked at what is selling in terms of game mechanics and adapted it to the next franchise in line. As I say many will lap this up and good luck to them but it's not thief when the idea of taking on a guard doesn't inspire fear and your voice sounds generic. Oh well. I will also probably fire up the originals some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Is there anywhere that's decent? Gaming sites on the whole just seem to be awful. It's message boards I go to for reviews and opinions.

The escapist has gotten a lot better since Jim Sterling started as review editor or some such title. Its not to hot on previews though. I generally go to Rock Paper Shotgun or gametrailers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm really liking the look of the game and was considering picking it up. But that said I haven't played any of the older games so I can't compare them to that.

That might be a good thing though as it means I'll probably be able to enjoy it :P

Edit: Just watched a live stream with commentary from one of the Devs, check out this bit around 18.20 for the big range of difficulty options. Ironman mode included!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steam preload is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

http://cybergame.tv/bombacquired/

Game is leaked and some Russian is live streaming.

Verdict: Thrash

I had fairly low expectations overall. I expected a pretty good game but a mediocre Thief game. What I saw was surprisingly bad.

AI is truly terrible, often just standing around staring at Garrett while he crouches right in front of them. Ducking behind a pillar seems to really confuse the AI who just lose track of you. Climbing onto a rooftop or height is a get out of jail card, they will fire arrows for a while then lose you the moment you duck out of sight.

The dialogue is very poor. NPCs repeat the same conversations over and over and some guards utter the same one liners.

The city hub is poor. It's full of the Thief Deadly Shadow style blue mist area transitions, only much more common. Sometimes you would see a new loading screen every 30 seconds while moving through areas of the city.

Levels seems quite linear, it's not exactly easy to tell via a stream but some missions seemed to lack multiple routes and felt quite small overall.

These are just my impressions from the stream, you must seriously consider cancelling your pre-order and hope to **** that this was just an earlier version of the game but that's just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Sounds just like all the other Thief games I've played and I loved them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Reviews are coming in...

Kotaku:
    Noo
    Eurogamer:
    6/10

I consider myself a pretty optimistic person when it come to games but even I couldn't really get behind the game after details of its development cycle began to emerge. As for my one hope, the Kotaku article dealt with it quite succinctly unfortunately...
    There at the beginning, I felt like I was catching sight of what Thief should have been—a first-person Assassin's Creed-meets-Mirror's Edge stealth game, all leaping and diving from rooftop to rooftop, flitting through the shadows like a panther set free.

I wish I'd gotten to play that game. Alas, it's a proof-of-concept that's never repeated, and The City's rooftops never feel that open again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Interestingly, the RPS verdict is rather more favourable than those two... Final line =
    "It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights."

Like a lot of ye, I'll be waiting for more player feedback first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Will wait for 75% off on Steam.

Polygon
    6/10.
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441360/thief-review

I think we can expect Square Enix to issue a statement near the end of year about how this game didn't reach sales targets, much like they did when the ruined the latest Hitman game, and it didn't reach it's sale target.

I think we can expect Square Enix to issue a statement near the end of year about how this game didn't reach sales targets, much like they did when the ruined the latest Hitman game, and it didn't reach it's sale target.
    Given its protracted development period and costs to match, I'd imagine it'll have to do some pretty big numbers in order to sell enough to meet sales targets. I made a point on this topic in another thread in the context of Thief, it's worth bearing in mind I think.

That being said, it being somewhere between mediocre and good depending on reviews certainly isn't going to help matters though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

IGN is in too:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/24/thief-review

Hmmm, will be giving this one a miss then it seems.

Thought it might be a buy.

gizmo wrote: »
    That being said, it being somewhere between mediocre and good depending on reviews certainly isn't going to help matters though. :(

Well I hope it bombs, Thief I & II are my favourite games of all time, so its awful to see what SE and Eidos Montreal have done with this.

Well I hope it bombs, Thief I & II are my favourite games of all time, so its awful to see what SE and Eidos Montreal have done with this.
    Well there's a level imo. If it totally bombs then we can kiss goodbye to seeing another Thief game for a hell of a long time and there's a chance it could have an adverse effect on the studio. If it does "okay" and reviews continue in a similar vein then at least they're more likely to realise the mistakes that were made design wise and attempt to rectify them in a future iteration. From the sounds of it, that's what's happening at IO with the next-gen Hitman title and, if true, would be the preferable outcome to this mess.

gizmo wrote: »
    If it does "okay" and reviews continue in a similar vein then at least they're more likely to realise the mistakes that were made design wise and attempt to rectify them in a future iteration.

Well I don't think there is any chance of them learning from their mistakes, the way they were banning fans of the old games on their forum who were asking where are the Hammers?, etc.

I'd rather never see another Thief game, than see the series continue in its current direction.

Stephen Russell needs to be brought back, this game ignored from canon, and go back to its roots. None of the original team is involved so that's a big issue too.

• Advertisement

Well I don't think there is any chance of them learning from their mistakes, the way they were banning fans of the old games on their forum who were asking where are the Hammers?, etc.

I'd rather never see another Thief game, than see the series continue in its current direction.

Stephen Russell needs to be brought back, this game ignored from canon, and go back to its roots. None of the original team is involved so that's a big issue too.
    But if publishers and developers took that attitude, we wouldn't have gotten Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Alien Isolation or any number of other games. It seems quite insane to prefer no hope than some hope. The original games will always be there, so we're not losing them. And we might possibly get a game that goes back to what those games were like. It's better than nothing at all.

This one seems to be turning out as I thought it would, in that it's an okay game, but makes you sad it's not like the previous ones. I've a copy waiting for me to get home, so hopefully I'll get a shot of it tonight.

Advertisement