Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It looks like the devs have dropped the xp levelling up system due to negative fan feedback haha

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/10/17/thiefs-xp-system-scrapped-after-fan-feedback?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They need to drop a lot more.

Drop the floaty hands when sneaking.
    Drop the blurred screen when sneaking and in shadows.
    Ah forget it, the game is nothing like the old games, not even a 'tip of the hat' to them, they just took the name, and stuck it on a Dishonoured clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

They basically need to start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gimme a HD remake of I & II. That would keep me happy for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

I need to replay Thief 2 at some stage. I hate gaming on my laptop though for FPS games.

"Life of the Party" still remains one of my favorite levels in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want more of this:

and less angsty Linkin Park ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Now that we're done tinkering and optimizing every aspect of the game, we can finally announce the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements
    CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
    RAM: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
    DirectX: DirectX 10
    HDD/SSD: 20 GB

Recommended Specs
    CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
    RAM: 4+ GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD / R9 series or better / Nvidia GTX 660 series or better
    DirectX: DirectX 11
    HDD/SSD: 20 GB

We've partnered up with AMD to leverage the advanced capabilities of Radeon graphics processors, including AMD's Eyefinity multi-display technology, TrueAudio, Mantle API, and state-of-the-art DirectX 11 rendering for the best image quality on PC.

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Thief-PC-Requirements?theme=thief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm tempted to preorder this game from GMG since it's so cheap right now. It's also worrying how cheap it can be gotten for. The lack of gameplay footage is also concerning but for £20 you cant go wrong....or can i? There is gameplay footage but it seems to be the same missions over and over again.

Hands On preview. Not much given away but sounding okay. Need either a demo (doubtful) or review before buying though. Out end of next month.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/01/24/hands-on-with-thief-on-ps4/

The Eurogamer preview was pretty interesting to read. Didn't say they didn't like what they saw/played but they were concerned about the linearity of the areas and how easy it seemed to traverse the areas.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-24-how-thief-has-changed-for-better-and-for-worse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jeez, it reads worse and worse at this stage; and still too much like a subpar Dishonoured knock-off, which is ludicrous considering which franchise came first. Absolutely noting in that preview made me think "yeah, actually, the Thief series might benefit from that idea" and just sounds utterly watered down with too many concessions to modern gaming. The lack of multiple entries to locations is a real deal-breaker for me though, along with the presence of takedowns and control-breaking animations.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The lack of multiple entries to locations is a real deal-breaker for me though, along with the presence of takedowns and control-breaking animations.
    In fairness, the same thing was said about Deus Ex: Human Revolution and look how that turned out. A really good game in the end and not a bad Deus Ex game at all. That being said, this looks like it could be too far from the original series but still could be entertaining all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, the same thing was said about Deus Ex: Human Revolution and look how that turned out. A really ggod game in the end and not a bad Deus Ex game at all. That being said, this looks like it could be too far from the original series but still could be entertaining all the same.

It was clear even before release that Human Revolution had changed very little from the Deus Ex formula, bar the infamous boss fights - which were rectified in the recent re-release. The openworld levels & multiple entries remained intact, as did the character upgrades, branching dialogues etc. They even introduced some new ideas that actually worked well such as the set-piece conversations at important plot points.

Human Revolution felt like a proper sequel, where it took all the things that worked from the previous iterations and built on that. Thief is coming across as a derivative, cookie-cutter game that has kept little from the previous games fully intact, while watering down much of what made them so memorable in the first place. Hell, the studio has already had to backtrack and remove more action-oriented components they had introduced, such was the outcry over them. It feels like they have no clue or interest in building on the concept of Thief, unlike Human Revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Gimme a HD remake of I & II. That would keep me happy for years to come.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2715838

there yah go :D

It was clear even before release that Human Revolution had changed very little from the Deus Ex formula, bar the infamous boss fights - which were rectified in the recent re-release. The openworld levels & multiple entries remained intact, as did the character upgrades, branching dialogues etc. They even introduced some new ideas that actually worked well such as the set-piece conversations at important plot points.

Human Revolution felt like a proper sequel, where it took all the things that worked from the previous iterations and built on that. Thief is coming across as a derivative, cookie-cutter game that has kept little from the previous games fully intact, while watering down much of what made them so memorable in the first place. Hell, the studio has already had to backtrack and remove more action-oriented components they had introduced, such was the outcry over them. It feels like they have no clue or interest in building on the concept of Thief, unlike Human Revolution.

The lead up to DE:HR was a clusterf*ck. Annoyance with the un-skipable takedowns, object highlighting, the move away to a more profitable gameplay was widely expected. Even after the first portion of the game was leaked and playable these things were questioned. It was only after the game released that the boss fights were found out for what they are and that the game truly felt and played like a DE sequel.

You'd be suprised to see the people out there that dreaded what they were doing to the game before it launched.

You never know. Thief 4 might open up once you get past the sequence that features in the previews.

The lead up to DE:HR was a clusterf*ck. Annoyance with the un-skipable takedowns, object highlighting, the move away to a more profitable gameplay was widely expected. Even after the first portion of the game was leaked and playable these things were questioned. It was only after the game released that the boss fights were found out for what they are and that the game truly felt and played like a DE sequel.

You'd be suprised to see the people out there that dreaded what they were doing to the game before it launched.

You never know. Thief 4 might open up once you get past the sequence that features in the previews.

I don't deny what you're saying, and certainly the unskippable takedowns were annoying for me all right, but my argument is that generally the tone & register of DE:HR remained the same. Its problems mostly stemmed from cosmetics - in the case of object highlighting, that could be turned off and was present in the original games anyway (and Thief for that matter!) - but overall the sequel still captured the core gameplay, mechanics and world of Deus Ex. People sighed a relief because yup, it was definitely a Deus Ex game.

It really doesn't sound or look like the same thing can be said about Thief, that it seems to have jettisoned much of the key elements of the franchise, or else watered them down as to ruin them anyway. Linear maps & the ability to kill your way through levels? Nope, that's not Thief, nowhere close. Of course as you say, you never know and perhaps it may yet be a stormer, but the evidence is not suggesting this so far :)

I don't deny what you're saying, and certainly the unskippable takedowns were annoying for me all right, but my argument is that generally the tone & register of DE:HR remained the same. Its problems mostly stemmed from cosmetics - in the case of object highlighting, that could be turned off and was present in the original games anyway (and Thief for that matter!) - but overall the sequel still captured the core gameplay, mechanics and world of Deus Ex. People sighed a relief because yup, it was definitely a Deus Ex game.

It really doesn't sound or look like the same thing can be said about Thief, that it seems to have jettisoned much of the key elements of the franchise, or else watered them down as to ruin them anyway. Linear maps & the ability to kill your way through levels? Nope, that's not Thief, nowhere close. Of course as you say, you never know and perhaps it may yet be a stormer, but the evidence is not suggesting this so far :)

A quick search on here shows how skeptical you were of the game and that you feared for the game because it appeared so linear, appeared to have such an emphasis on action and seemed very simplified. These are taken from the Deus Ex: Human Revolution thread.

I dont intend to provoke you in any way by posting them here. That isn't my intention but they really does go to show that even the staunchest of fans and biggest opponents to 'new features' and gameplay mechanics can come around to liking a game, because in reality the things they changed up are so minor it really isn't worth getting fussed over it.
    *ressurects old thread*

http://kotaku.com/5691183/deus-ex-human-revolutions-remote-killing-and-elbow-sword

A new trailer has come out that - importantly - shows some proper gameplay at last; albeit briefly, but we get a bit of the UI too which is unique for a trailer.

Needless to say the trailer's emphasis is still on action & I'm worried that the non-blammo approach will just consist of airducts & cloaking.
    The first proper gameplay video has come out, with a developer talking us through the different ways you can approach scenarios. Those takedown animations look annoying to be honest, hope you can skip / turn them off. The video uses the Xbox360 version:
    Yeah it's not exactly riveting stuff, but to be fair it is the first level of the game. The first level of Deus Ex 1 wasn't exactly exciting either!
    To play devil advocate, we're clearly seeing the first level (out of context) when you're probably meant to be learning the basic mechanics of the game, so while the video is drab, fairly linear & uninteresting, that's likely because it's meant to be those things. The trend these days is for the tutorial to be the game's first level (as opposed to a dedicated "tutorial" level). I remember there was also a walkthrough of a scene in a nightclub, it seemed more advanced, and more interesting that the above video. So in that respect I'd hold fire before denouncing the game. As mentioned, a number of Deus Ex 1's maps were fairly poor, and quite cramped.

As for the other aspects, while the 3rd person bits are annoying, Deus Ex's cutscenes were all in the 3rd person. The first game was guilty of lengthy, clunky dialogue scenes that could go on forever, so it did feel you spent more time watching JC Denton than actually playing as him.

The takedown animations are very annoying though, there's no doubt about that. Not sure they're simplifying things - after all, the classic gameplay mechanic is that a melee blow from behind is a one-hit-kill (Deus Ex had that, hell even games like Thief had it)
    I don't get the comments about "next gen" graphics - is that really important? So what if it doesn't look look "next gen" (whatever that means), Deus Ex first and foremost should be about story, atmosphere, and most importantly - choices.

Now on the subject of choices, I'm beginning to feel a bit wary about this game. I HOPE that choices don't always just boil down to whether you snipe, frag or use a convenient air-vent, because as anyone who played Deus Ex knows, the variation went far deeper than that. But after reading that the PC is low priority for Eidos, I have a horrible feeling that "choice" is going to be a watered down, bland corridor-shooter with lip service paid to the idea of choice.

Going back to the talk of graphics, I actually disagree further on the basis that if nothing else, Human Revoluton seems to have impressive visual (and audio) design. It should just be about animation or poly-counts.
    It's the Gears of War effect really; developers are so terrified of not making their money back they'll ape any gameplay mechanic they perceive as popular or that goes down with the market. Better to lure in the average ADD suffering button-masher with promises of Gears'esque combat & take their money, than risk boring them. Hence the cover-based 3rd person malarky & the takedown animations. I wouldn't be surprised if a few Quick Time Events turn up at some point too.
    At the rate these explosive trailers are coming out, I'm concerned - are the trailers simply overly action-centric because of the market they're trying to aim at, or is it just because there really is that much shooting in the game. Think at this stage a few leaks and playthrough would be a good thing, hehe.
    They're not, they make no logical sense, even within the context of augmentations in the gameplay. Why should I made wait for my battery to recharge, just to bash a guy over the head? I wouldn't mind if it was some super-enhanced power ala the xray vision or whatnot, but it's not: it's the same move that could be accomplished if the devs gave you a baton, or baseball bat ffs.
    Uhm, no that's not what my criticism amounts to. Kiith already put it fairly well - the devs turned a standard melée attack into an unskippable cutscene, and attached battery cost to it as to intentionally hinder the player from avoiding weapon use. Given that (from what I saw) the only other nonlethal weapon - the dart gun - has feck all ammo available, it's an obvious contrivance to force players to shoot through situations.

And just from a player experience point of view, I found them extremely annoying after a while, and certainly broke you out of the moment.

Thief 4, at the moment, doesn't look like it's remaining very faithful to the original series. They don't seem to have put the best foot forward with promoting it and have certainly made a few faux pas in conveying the new features to the consumers. But you know what they say, no publicity is bad publicity.
    It could all turn out ok in the end. I'm holding judgement until later down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Achievement / Trophy list is out

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/thief/achievements/

I have an open mind about this , there seems to be a very vocal minority willing to knock it before they try it. It could be rubbish but I'm not coming to this game expecting it to be exactly like the originals, clue in the name really , it's called Thief , not Thief 4.

I dont intend to provoke you in any way by posting them here. That isn't my intention but they really does go to show that even the staunchest of fans and biggest opponents to 'new features' and gameplay mechanics can come around to liking a game, because in reality the things they changed up are so minor it really isn't worth getting fussed over it.

Ok, that's way overkill, not sure what you hoped to achieve mass quoting old posts. I'm not opposed to 'new features', that's not the point I've been making. Yes, I was sceptical about DE:HR before it was released as a lot of its marketing over-emphasised action & its takedowns - something I already said I still don't like - but when the leaked HR build appeared on the net many realised things would be ok. I've already said it had its flaws but that overall the core gameplay that identified the Deus Ex franchise was intact :)
    calex71 wrote: »
    Achievement / Trophy list is out
    http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/thief/achievements/

I have an open mind about this , there seems to be a very vocal minority willing to knock it before they try it. It could be rubbish but I'm not coming to this game expecting it to be exactly like the originals, clue in the name really , it's called Thief , not Thief 4.

Oh please, it's not about knocking it without trying; I myself hope I'm proven wrong and it's an excellent new Thief game worthy of the franchise. God knows the Stealth 'Em Up genre could do with some new games and for that alone I have an open mind. But it's fair game to pass some reasoned judgement on a production once it starts releasing hard evidence and allows journalists to play the thing. Thief seems like a poor man's Dishonoured at this point, by way of the Syndicate reboot.

One of the trophies is to clear it in 15 hours or more :) Nice to see a game encourage you to take your time instead of flying through. Other than that, reads like the Dishonored trophy list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

sheehy83 wrote: »
    One of the trophies is to clear it in 15 hours or more :) Nice to see a game encourage you to take your time instead of flying through. Other than that, reads like the Dishonored trophy list.
    It's to promote replay value. Tales of Vesperia has one for 15 hours too. You have to skip dialogue to do it. They also have one for clocking 100 hours in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Surely skipping cut scenes would be the last thing you want to do for an achievement that wants you to take LONGER than 15 hours rather than shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

COYVB wrote: »
    Surely skipping cut scenes would be the last thing you want to do for an achievement that wants you to take LONGER than 15 hours rather than shorter

its a hint to how big the game is I think.

COYVB wrote: »
    Oh, crap, misread it. Tales is 15 hours or less. Damn, was thinking Thief would be quite a long game there for a sec.

Yeah I was expecting 15 to 20 hours, sounds like 15 will be a challenge to get to or it's just an easy trophy maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

calex71 wrote: »

It could be a very successful reboot of the series, I am looking forward to it.

Only a month now until release, I have been waiting for this game for years! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Has one too for zero kills/knockouts so that alone will push up the time while you sit around surveying your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Can't decide if I want to pre-purchase it or not. I love the series but I'm quite broke at the moment with a backlog of games to get through.

Hmmm...

wyrn wrote: »
    Can't decide if I want to pre-purchase it or not. I love the series but I'm quite broke at the moment with a backlog of games to get through.

Hmmm...
    I'd say hold off. If its great, you can always get it soon after release (if console) or not too long after release (as somewhere will have it relatively cheap quickly) rather than buying an unknown quality game. Because that's what it is.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'd say hold off. If its great, you can always get it soon after release (if console) or not too long after release (as somewhere will have it relatively cheap quickly) rather than buying an unknown quality game. Because that's what it is.
    I'm kind of in the same mind out it too. I'm not invested in the franchise and have dabbled in the last game and enjoyed it but the bargain hunter in me wants me to snap it up. Such a high profile game at such a cheap price....

Advertisement