Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Nice image from the 1940s showing the top of Grafton Street.

graftonstlamppostc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BillMac

came across by chance this is a great thread great photos lots of memories Can I ask has anyone came across photos of old time buskers late 50 s early 60 s There were a lot around in them days playing mostly around the cinema queues in Dublin but anywhere would be of interest. and this is me 1962 a story with this photo I will share later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

interesting video about the howth tram here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm not sure if this is in the correct thread, mods feel free to move it if it's not.

This is a recent image (to-day) of a small part of the Guinness pedestrian tunnel, on theright, and the narrow gauge railway tunnel, on the left, that run under James Street from the upper level (North) to the lower level (South) of the brewery.

The pedestrian tunnel is approx. 200 yards long but the railway tunnel is longer because it becomes a spiral track in order to reach the upper level of the brewery, the railway tunnel is now taken up with service mains but you might be able to see the original points signals circled in yellow. The railway tunnel isn't easy to make out because of the number of pipes but I'm hoping to add a pic of the pipe-free spiral end of the tunnel.

[IMG][/img]DSCF3505.jpg

Two from May 1966.

1966dublin.jpg

19662.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

1968 wrote: »
    Two from May 1966.

1966dublin.jpg

The lady in green is a bit of alright isnt she (yeah I know, it could be one of your guys Ma!!!) Looks suspiciously like an Aer Lingus airhostess outfit she's wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

humberklog wrote: »
    922F37D9391D4C73ABB68A50F0BD9A72-500.jpg

Incredible photo. I'm sure I've seen it before - would it have been published (Hot Press, perhaps?) in the 80s?

A street fight, but two guards in the immediate vicinity. And who was doing such high profile political campaigning ("Mozambique: South Africa wants to ...")

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It says 'Mozambique: South Africa wants to wipe if off the map'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Liberties

This is a compilation of old photos I put together. I hope you will enjoy watching it as much as I did putting it together. I will post Part two later. Thank you for watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Liberties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

richardjjd wrote: »
    Incredible photo. I'm sure I've seen it before - would it have been published (Hot Press, perhaps?) in the 80s?

A street fight, but two guards in the immediate vicinity. And who was doing such high profile political campaigning ("Mozambique: South Africa wants to ...")

I'm almost certain I saw this photo in a book once. And I think it said it was taken outside the Werbrugh street labour exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BigMonsterLove

I saw this posted on another message board. Can anyone explain the image?

collegegreen25june1932.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/collegegreen25june1932.jpg/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I've uploaded around a dozen pictures of the Henry Grattan statue from 1870 to 2009.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/henry-grattan-statue-a-photographic-history/
    If anyone has any information on the missing two lamposts, can help me date the following photographs or can provide any more historic images of the statue, get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

1968 wrote: »
    19662.jpg

Top photo, how did we ever manage without road markings telling us where to go? Also, parking in the middle of O'Connell street? :eek: Anyone know when this particular perk was removed?

the very top left is where the ilac is now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I came across these photos of Dublin taken in 1962.

College Green

image016.jpg

image002.jpg

image017.jpg

image009.jpg

image029.jpg

image028.jpg

• Advertisement

image024.jpg

image021.jpg

image020.jpg

image019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Joolsveer,

Those pictures have already been posted further back in the thread, and they are from 1961.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that they were already posted.

the mopeds parked at the base of the statue in the first pic look a lot like the dublin bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

coyle wrote: »
    Here's one: A drive around the general Dublin 5 area in 1984. Shoddy quality, but a good view of Artane before the Rec was built, and I had no idea Peats had a branch in Donnycarney?!!

Oh yes. I uploaded this. It's from a documentary about my radio station that was shot back in 84.

I've been meaning to check the old tape to see what other footage I could take off it. Most of it is interviews, but there is some nice stuff from inside Artane Castle just after it opened. And of course some footage of the inside of a pirate radio station in the 80s.

Hoping to do a drive around of the area and video what it looks like now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I love this thread. I've looked at it loads. I scanned a few images I thought people on here might find interesting. Anyway, enjoy. In the photo with the protest can anyone tell what street it is? It says "---- lane" in the lane way in the background but I can't make it out.

Church Street Hoardings c.1913

4300244973_ff5205d796.jpg

4300249513_95699802a5.jpg

4300971256_d142392833.jpg

4300206343_8e96c68c95_b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the photo with the protest can anyone tell what street it is? It says "---- lane" in the lane way in the background but I can't make it out.

My first thought would be somewhere near the Fruit Markets. It's more a hunch than based on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

its irish version is "lana an..."

Advertisement