Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

(Note that traffic is travelling westwards on the north quays and eastwards on the south quays. When did that change?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

trout wrote: »
    I think it was 1988 ... I was only a year driving, confused the hell out of me.

I'm not surprised you were confused, you'd been driving the wrong way on the quays for a year.:)

When the plan to change traffic direction on the quays was announced there was a lot of hand wringing and the public were convinced it was going to be a disaster but it turned out to be a smooth transition, it took place on a Sunday IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sherwin_Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vektarman wrote: »
    I'm not surprised you were confused, you'd been driving the wrong way on the quays for a year.:)

When the plan to change traffic direction on the quays was announced there was a lot of hand wringing and the public were convinced it was going to be a disaster but it turned out to be a smooth transition, it took place on a Sunday IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sherwin_Bridge
    Thanks for that. I suspected it was late 70's/early 80's alright as it was in for several years when I began to drive in 1986 (so I knew it wasn't late 80s as indicated by others).

Beresford Place 1990

BeresfordPlace1990.jpg

Beresford Place 2009

BeresfordPlace251009.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Here's a picture that turned up in a newspaper advertisement in the early nineties. Any of you recognise the area?

Picture_011_Medium.jpg

I've been meaning to post the pic and the story attached to it for some time now.
    So my uncle is flicking through the newspaper when he spots the advert featuring the above picture. On closer inspection he thinks he spots something he recognises. So he shows the picture to his dad, my grandad.
    Do you see anything you recognise, he asks my grandad.
    After a moments hesitation he responds, Well the horse is Ivy and that's me Da driving the cart.
    Sure enough that's my great grandfather and I believe the picture was taken in the early nineteen twenties. They got in touch with the newspaper in question - the Evening Herald as far as I can remember - and they were later presented with a framed copy of the photo.

EDIT: Big pic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Hermy wrote: »
    Here's a picture that turned up in a newspaper advertisement in the early nineties. Any of you recognise the area?

To the left I'd say that's Pearse St garda stn.

Great photo... thanks for sharing.

Indeed it is Rashers - spot on.
    Any idea what the building is next door? 8 E.C. Hal...Eng... An engineering company maybe?
    I'm also curious about the car. There wouldn't have been many cars in Dublin back then and this one looks pretty fancy. Z2370
    I'll post something in the Classic Car forum, see if they have an info.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PEPPI

Rashers wrote: »

THIS WAS THE BEST, HOW GREAT IT WOULD BE IF ALL THE DUBLIN PHOTOS WERE DONE LIKE THIS--- THE OLD AND NEW, HOW SWEET.

THANKS FOR THIS POST.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

I have been studying this thread for four nights now, Thanks to every contributer. Im particularly blown away by the colour photos of Dublin 1961 (cushman collection). This is an excellent thread, looking at the photos brings back sounds and smells almost forgotten. Any more pics/info
    Of Rathmines/Ranelagh (particularly Mount Plesant) most welcome.
    What a great city we are from (rose goggles...?), Thanks again to all, Keep it comeing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nice footage of football matches in Dublin in the 1920s and 30s..

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=21951

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=24577

• Advertisement

Indeed it is Rashers - spot on.
    Any idea what the building is next door? 8 E.C. Hal...Eng... An engineering company maybe?
    I'm also curious about the car. There wouldn't have been many cars in Dublin back then and this one looks pretty fancy. Z2370
    I'll post something in the Classic Car forum, see if they have an info.

The reg no might help to date the photo... and then a Thoms Street Directory for that year would help identify the business premises.

It looks like the car is a Chrysler Imperial which were first built in 1926 (thanks 123 man) so that would fit with the photo which I believe is mid 20's.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm also curious about the car. There wouldn't have been many cars in Dublin back then
    It looks like the car is a Chrysler Imperial which were first built in 1926 (thanks 123 man) so that would fit with the photo which I believe is mid 20's.
    I think the pic dates from the early 1930's.

Allow me to put on my anorack! :)

Prior to 1952, Dublin City and County registrations were issued seperately - Z series being the second series issued in County Dublin.

Z 2370 is the registration in question.

Z 1 was issued in County Dublin in March 1927. Z 9999 was issued in September 1938. Assuming that that car was absolutley new when photographed, and considering that motoring was relatively new, I can't see the two thousanth issue of the Z series occuring before 1930. That is assuming that the car was new. If we consider that it was a few years old when pictured, it's possible and more probable that the picture was taken in the mid-1930s.

stovelid wrote: »
    Nice footage of football matches in Dublin in the 1920s and 30s..

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=21951

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=24577
    Any idea where those games were being played? Dalymount Park? I'm trying to place the church in the background but my knowledge of football is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Any idea where those games were being played? Dalymount Park? I'm trying to place the church in the background but my knowledge of football is limited.

Two different grounds I think. I thought the first was Dalymount but I'm not sure now.

There's a lot of great stuff on Pathe if you type Dublin into the search box.

Here's a few more motoring related stuff. I hope you find it interesting.

Here's Major Guillamore O'Grady, a very early pioneer of motoring in this country, at the wheel of his Daimler in the Phoenix Park. The picture caption states that it was taken in 1899 but the car looks a few years younger than that. Interesting though, it does not appear to have registration plates so it is possible that it was taken prior to the introduction of registration plates in Dublin in December 1903. (That's his valet sitting in the rear!)

Daimler1899.jpg

A picture of the Royal Irish Automobile Club garage in Dawson Street in 1905. Note the two visible registration plates on the right - RI 99 and RI 21. The first registration series assigned to Dublin City was the RI series which went from RI 1 in December 1903 to RI 9999 in April 1921. Those two cars would have been among the earliest vehicles registered in Dublin.

RIAC1905.jpg

A very early Waterford City registered car WI 20 leaving the RIAC premises on Dawson Street for a rally in 1906. WI 1 was issued in Janurary 1904 and that series ended in Waterford City with WI 9999 in January 1966.

RIACDawsonStreet1906.jpg

Belgian driver Janetzy in his Mercedes taking part in speeds trial in the Phoenix Park for the 4th Gordon Bennett car race which was held in Ireland in 1903.

GordonBennettRace1903.jpg

Not in Dublin but I'll throw it in anyway. Janetzy racing through the Curragh in the Gordon bennett race which he went on to win.

(What's the advert for on the left - a brand of lager?)

GordonBennettRaceCurragh1903.jpg

Here's Mr R W Steven's taken on the 2nd October 1902 after he won the first ever motorcycle race to be in Ireland at Ashtown, Co Dublin.

RWStevens1902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Amazing pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

I nearly sure there both Dalymount. St Peters Church in the background, and the Chinmey stack from the Mill at Cross Guns Bridge.

I think the pic dates from the early 1930's.

Allow me to put on my anorack! :)

Prior to 1952, Dublin City and County registrations were issued seperately - Z series being the second series issued in County Dublin.

Z 2370 is the registration in question.

Z 1 was issued in County Dublin in March 1927. Z 9999 was issued in September 1938. Assuming that that car was absolutley new when photographed, and considering that motoring was relatively new, I can't see the two thousanth issue of the Z series occuring before 1930. That is assuming that the car was new. If we consider that it was a few years old when pictured, it's possible and more probable that the picture was taken in the mid-1930s.
    Thanks for putting on the anorak Wishbone.;)
    What do you think of the Kev's suggestion that it's a '29 Essex?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

There's one photo from this site on the thread, but I don't know that the link itself has been posted. Some nice shots of old (and new-ish) Dublin buses.

http://www.dublinbus.cc/dhall1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

was passing edges hardware on fairview strand this morning and noticed in block letters on the roof of TSB 'HCR CHEMIST'

anyone know what the 'HCR' means?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hayes Conyngham Robinson.

Ghost signs are cool.

Boots bought out HCR in the late 90's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ashtown @ Halfway House in the 1940s:
    AshtownCrossroads1948.jpg

Gaspode wrote: »
    Ashtown @ Halfway House in the 1940s:

That's the Ashtown Tin Box company in center picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here goes.
    National Library photos - Lawrence Colletcion etc. Just select "home" in the top left and you can select whatever location.

Some lovely shots of the country/city before the building boom and moderisation.......... take a step back in time.

http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/index_glassplates.php?CISOROOT=/glassplates

Lawrence Royal & Cabinet Collections
    The Lawrence Collection consists of 40,000 glass plate negatives from 1870-1914. The images were produced commercially and capture topographical scenes of that period throughout Ireland. The entire Lawrence Royal collection (10,784 plates) and part of the Lawrence Cabinet collection (2,040 plates) are available here to view online.
    Poole Whole Plate Collection
    The Poole collection comprises 65,000 glass plate negatives and was created by the family firm of A.H. Poole in Waterford between 1884-1954. The majority of images in the collection are studio portraits but the Poole Whole Plate subset which consists of 5,119 images, reflects the diversity of the collection with studio portraits, social and political events and also images of architecture and industry in the south east of Ireland.
    Independent H Collection
    The Independent Newspaper collection of some 300,000 images, is made up of glass plates, plastic negatives and a small number of prints. The Independent H collection is a subset of the collection and contains 3,250 glass plates negatives dating from 1912-1936. It provides a record of many aspects of 20th century Irish life, and is particularly strong in the coverage of politics and sport in Ireland.
    http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/index_glassplates.php?CISOROOT=/glassplates

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rashers wrote: »
    That's the Ashtown Tin Box company in center picture?

It sure is Rashers. See here for a run through of the places in the picture. Its changed a lot around there, since the 40s, and even in the last 15-20 years.

Geat stuff. Thanks a million. Used to have reason to call into the Tin Box Co in the early '60s. Great to see the area again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Gaspode wrote: »
    It sure is Rashers. See here for a run through of the places in the picture. Its changed a lot around there, since the 40s, and even in the last 15-20 years.

Thank you Gaspode! I live near there, and it's fascinating to see pics of the neighbourhood from so many years ago.

• Advertisement

Thank you Gaspode! I live near there, and it's fascinating to see pics of the neighbourhood from so many years ago.

Hideho neighbour!

Advertisement