Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

OldGoat wrote: »
    I've already PM'ed the info to Pearly20. :)

I might have known ;)

4 of the photos I posted above will be going to the DFB museum shortly so thanks for helping find them a suitable home :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rashers wrote: »
    I'm glad the photo turned out to be recognisable to your family. Thanks for letting me know... gives me a good feeling.
    Now print it out and frame it..... and I'll look for more for you.
    Jim

Please do, and thanks again, I'm still chuffed with the 'find'

As regards date, it's late 1947 or early 48, as my dad is wearing the overcoat he got for his communion. Notice also the single cable running over to the buildings - electricity only arrived in George's pocket late in 1946.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

nessyguin wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ? They're part of a 'set' , for want of a better word , found in my late grandfather's effects.

nessy. I found your photos on a website here.

A quote from the site: "The photos on this page are taken by George Pierce who was about 9 years old at the outbreak of the Irish Civil War in 1922. They are published on our website by courtesy of his grandson on the condition that any information about the photos, other than mentioned in the captions, is forwarded to him."

May be a help in your quest.

Thanks , Rashers . Good detective work !

I gave that site a set of copies some time last year in the hope I might glean a bit of background info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Some cracking photos lads
    Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Off for a lunchtime pint at The Brazen Head, 1977 (Lower Bridge Street)

PubBrazenHead.jpg

A friendly barman at The Brazen Head in 1977

PubBrazenHeadBarman.jpg

A street trader enjoying a glass of Guinness in James Gill's, 1977 (North Circular Road)

PubJamesGillNCRStreetTrader.jpg

A serious discussion in John Kavanagh's 'The Grave Diggers' in 1977 (Glasnevin)

PubKavanaghsDiscussion.jpg

Workmen enjoying the craic at Kavanagh's in 1977

PubKavanaghsGlasnevinWorkmen.jpg

A quiet lunchtime read and a smoke in Doheny and Nesbitt's, 1977 (Upper Baggott Street)

PunDohenyandNesbittBaggotStreetLowe.jpg

Unknown city centre pub 1977

PubUnknown1977.jpg

Two ladies in the snug of an unknown pub (mid 1980s?)

PubUnknownLadies1977.jpg

Great set of pics Wish. Thank you.

The 'Unknown city centre pub 1977' is familiar to me. I'm wondering if it's the pub that was at the corner of Parliament St and Essex Gate.

Mulligan's, Poolbeg Street, 1965

PubMulligansPoolbegStreet1965.jpg

Another unknown 'lounge' in 1965

PubUnknown1965.jpg

Rashers wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's the pub that was at the corner of Parliament St and Essex Gate.
    You have me there! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The unknown one reminds me of the stags head for some reason...or maybe the swan :confused:

excellent excellent photos btw

• Advertisement

Seeing the pics of The Gravediggers brings back some very fond memories . Last time I was there would have been in the mid-80s watching my Da playing rings .
    As an aside , I believe the ring-board is still hanging there - surely one of (if not the ) last pubs in Dublin to still have rings ?

Ringboard is still up, never seen anyone play it when i was there

Carter12 wrote: »
    Ive been looking through this thread for the past 3 hours. Brilliant thread and the photos are great. We lived in Sean Mac dermott street for a while.. Where to multi story carpark is now.

Rasher do you remember the Dandy garage at the back of SmcD street ? We then moved to Ballymun. Balcurris gardens and my parents have just moved from there.

Weird, my family were from sean mcdermott street before they moved to the mun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

A few photos of early Dublin United Tramway buses, the forerunners of CIE...

Thornycroftb.JPG
    1925 Thornycroft, most probably THE original DUTC bus bodied by Hall Lewis in London.
    Later buses were bodied at Spa Road, Inchicore, to a copy of this design. These
    timber framed bodies did not last long, suffering from a combination of rot and rough
    road surfaces. Many were rebodied again by 1929/1930, although the small number of
    Thornycroft buses were returned to the UK. Note the DUAL doors, buses from 1925
    were a mixture of rear entrance and dual door, with 30 or 32 seats, on Thornycroft,
    AEC or Dennis chassis imported from the UK. This bus entered service on the first DUTC
    bus route 43, from Eden Quay to Killester, in 1925. The DUTC up to then had operated
    the extensive city tramway network, the last trams running in the city in 1949.

391b.JPG
    1925 AEC, YI 7972, bodied at Spa Road, Inchicore. Note the painted destination
    boards along the side of the vehicle, for the number 50 route to Crumlin, the brushes
    hanging from the wheel hubs, a legal requirement of the time, and the fully uniformed
    driver and conductor.

Dennisb.JPG
    1926 Dennis E type, YI 7973, bodied at Spa Road, Inchicore. Note the number and
    destination box on the roof, the painted destination boards along the side of the vehicle,
    the brushes on the wheels, and the conductor in full uniform standing on the rear platform.

AECb.JPG
    A line up of 1926 AEC buses, bound for, among others, route 42 to Coolock, route 43 to
    Killester, and route 45 to Blackrock.

Alas, it is very, very rare to come across photographs of Dublin buses of the 1920s -1930s period, although photos abound of buses after the war. As well as the Dublin United Tramway buses in their dignified livery of dark blue and ivory, there were a host of independently owned buses, popularly known as the 'Pirates.'

I suppose it is too much to hope that, among the wonderful collections of historical photographs appearing here, that someone might have photographs of PRE-war buses in Dublin, or indeed elsewhere in Ireland? The 1920s-1930s period is the period in question, as there are countless photos available of the Leyland double deckers that became popular and well known after 1937.

Aye , Bambi . I am told that it was a stipulation in the will that nothing be changed . I was told this in a pub so apply pinches of salt at will :) However , I can believe it to be true as it's unlikely that a ringboard would be hanging by public demand (unfortunately) .

Did everyone who posts on this thread live in Ballymun at some time , btw ? OK , I know the answer to that but there are a lot of ex-'munners here ! We moved into Sillogue in '68 , when the houses there were still being built . Left in '89 and back here 4 years now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

nessyguin wrote: »
    Aye , Bambi . I am told that it was a stipulation in the will that nothing be changed . I was told this in a pub so apply pinches of salt at will :) However , I can believe it to be true as it's unlikely that a ringboard would be hanging by public demand (unfortunately) .

Did everyone who posts on this thread live in Ballymun at some time , btw ? OK , I know the answer to that but there are a lot of ex-'munners here ! We moved into Sillogue in '68 , when the houses there were still being built . Left in '89 and back here 4 years now .

my auntie moved into coultry in 1980 beside the esb station and she is still there now. if you have any old pics of ballymun before it was built up in the 60's it would be great to see them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I suppose it is too much to hope that, among the wonderful collections of historical photographs appearing here, that someone might have photographs of PRE-war buses in Dublin, or indeed elsewhere in Ireland? The 1920s-1930s period is the period in question, as there are countless photos available of the Leyland double deckers that became popular and well known after 1937.

I have a few.
    I'll scan them and put them up later.

Have a look at 'Wheels around Dublin' by Cyril McIntyre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd reckon that the 1st unknown pub is the International.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It also looks like a pub that was in Amiens street nearly under the railway bridge. I think it was Cleary's and I've no idea if it's still there.

my auntie moved into coultry in 1980 beside the esb station and she is still there now. if you have any old pics of ballymun before it was built up in the 60's it would be great to see them.

my auntie is just down from her so, and has been since the 80s
    My family moved into silloge road back the late 60s and were there up into the 2000s:eek:

Actually most my aunts and uncles were out in ballymun too, if ya knew any kellys ye might have known them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

humberklog wrote: »

Yup.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1163478

humberklog wrote: »
    tricky D wrote: »
    Well spotted lads/ladies. Thanks. :)

InternationalBar.jpg

PubUnknown1977.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The photo below the International (with the 2 ladies in the snug) looks like Toners on Baggot St. The angle the sun's coming in at works out too.

To Deswalsh: yep Cleary's is still doing trade. It hasn't changed a jot. 3.80 a pint the last time there (about 5month).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is the front af a small collection of photos I have.
    I'll post others later.
    72858.jpg

Taken in 1934.

spurious wrote: »
    This is the front af a small collection of photos I have.
    I'll post others later.

Great photo spurious, thank you. Looking forward to any more you can share.

I'm wondering if that's an advertisement just above the single decker for Cossor radios. I think that was the first electric (as opposed to the old wet and dry battery types) radio we had... very posh at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Thanks to you all who make this thread so enjoyable. I have spent the last 4 hours going back in time. Fantastic pictures and stories. You should all take a big pat on the back. Keep up the great work.

Many thanks for that Spurious, yes I have that book, and everything that was published on the subject, as I do a huge amount of research into these old vehicles.

The single decker approaching the camera is a Dublin United Tramway AEC Regal bus, delivered new in 1933. These buses introduced a new livery scheme to the streets of Dublin, somewhat in keeping with the austerity of the times. The bus was finished in UNPAINTED polished aluminium. The buses looked shabby after a very short while, and from 1936 on, the fleet was slowly painted into a new colour scheme of two tone green with cream relief. The route 54 to Kimmage began in 1932, serving the rapidly developing southside suburb. These buses complemented the extensive tram services, the tram lines being visible alongside the bus. Dublin trams during this 1930s period were painted in a dreary grey and white colour scheme. Interesting too, the bus is travelling in a southbound direction on Westmoreland Street, the one way system not being introduced until the 1960s, some thirty years after this picture was taken.

The other single decker on the far side of the street is also of interest. This is a privately operated bus, one of the aforementioned 'Pirates.' It is an Albion Valkyrie of the General Omnibus Company, by then the largest of the independently owned bus companies. The livery scheme on this bus is black with ivory lining and roof. This company operated bus services to far outlying districts like Blessington, Maynooth and Celbridge, the forerunners of the present day routes 65, 66 and 67. The following year, 1934, the Dublin United Tramways gained control over all the independent operators, bringing uniformity to the bus service, and becoming the genesis of the CIE company from 1945 on.

Here is another picture of the AEC Regal on route 54, this time in College Green. The grey coloured trams are visible nearby. The tramline in the centre of the street is the terminus point of the number 21 tram to Inchicore.

[IMG]http://gofree.indigo.ie/~nigelo/College Green 1930s.JPG[/IMG]

Two more pictures of Dublin city buses from the mid 1930s, again both AEC Regal 34 seat single deckers. There is nine
    years between these AEC buses and the old Thornycroft, AEC and Dennis buses posted earlier, and the relative
    modernisation of the bodywork can be seen, compared to the old high framed, tram style bodywork on the first buses.

396b.JPG
    An AEC Regal, number 396, on Eden Quay bound for Swords on route 41. Buses on Eden Quay were unusual in that
    they parked on the wrong side of the street, and loaded from the STREET side as opposed to the KERB side.

[IMG]http://gofree.indigo.ie/~nigelo/ZA 1988b.JPG[/IMG]
    AEC Regal number 540 pictured on route 45A, which before the war, ran between the
    CITY and Bray, via Ballybrack, a very long route indeed. In 1942, as a wartime
    efficiency, many routes were cut back, including route 45A which terminated at
    Dún Laoghaire, and never served the city centre again.

A picture of my wifes grandfather who worked on the buses as a conductor during the timeframe of some of the above photos.
    In his full uniform, with the satchel for his tickets dispenser, and the tin under his arm is probably the cash box.

paddy003.jpg

(The pic was taken on O'Connell bridge by the 'The Irish Walking Film Company' who just took your picture at random and gave you a number. If you wanted you could collect it later from their o'Connell St. studio.)

• Advertisement

72868.jpg

Bus making its way along Ferguson Road in Drumcondra.

Advertisement