Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help disabled driver choose a car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He's right, people are using the system rather abusing it.

Whether the system is fair given the number of suitable used cars now available and the popularity of automatics compared to when the scheme came in is another matter for a seperate thread I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He's right, people are using the system rather abusing it.

Whether the system is fair given the number of suitable used cars now available and the popularity of automatics compared to when the scheme came in is another matter for a seperate thread I think.

I'm going to look at the Golf purely on the recommendation of a fellow wheelchair user who says they're ideal. I'm going to go to a dealer to take a look at one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,588 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Andrew33 wrote: »
    nice to see someone abusing the system:mad:

Could you elaborate ?:confused:

vectra wrote: »

He can't. Otherwise he would've been able to reply to our posts straight away.

He's not online lads. Let's not get too excited!

He's not online lads. Let's not get too excited!

Trollage???

Trollage???

jealous? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Trollage???
    jealous? :rolleyes:

Both?

;)

Guys.

Update on figures for the VW Golf Comfortline 1.2l DSG from Park Motors:

It's gonna cost me €22923 inc VAT/VRT or €19652 if you subtract the VRT. These figures are done without taking my Ford Fiesta into account.

I'm waiting on another contact from Ballsbridge Motors to come back to me. The guy I spoke to there is going to give me figures which will include my Fiesta. He's also very kindly agreed to call out to where I work and (a) take a look at my car, and (b) IIRC, he said that he's driving a VW Golf, so I will be able to take a closer look at one.

MP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The mechanism whereby a disabled person can buy a vehicle minus VRT/VAT was put in place to help offset the higher purchase price of automatic cars and having cars adapted etc, it was NOT put in place so some people could sell the vehicle on at a profit after two years.
    As I said, "nice to see some people abusing the system"

• Advertisement

The mechanism whereby a disabled person can buy a vehicle minus VRT/VAT was put in place to help offset the higher purchase price of automatic cars and having cars adapted etc, it was NOT put in place so some people could sell the vehicle on at a profit after two years.

Source? Link?

Where did you source this information?
    I would like to read the official statement that you got that from.

Where did you source this information?
    I would like to read the official statement that you got that from.

Me too.

doesn't sound like a reasonable argument TBH. If it were the case, then just the invoice price of the adaption/auto box extra cost would be offset.

If you compare our system to the Motability system in the UK where the scheme covers the contract hire of the car, cost of adaption, servicing, tyres, roadside assist, road tax, and insurance. This is in lieu of the disabled persons Disability Living Allowance (presuming they qualify) The disalbed person doesn't have to worry about sourcing the money for the car, they don't have to worry about the resale value, and they don't have to pay for maintainance.

I will concede that on the Irish system in the past (back in the days when VW Golfs lost 2000 quid or so a year) it was possible for someone to save enough VAT and VRT on a car to make little or no cost-to-change for 2 years. This is very much in the past now.

Even if the system was a little too generous or misguided in the past (or even if it still is) what's the harm? We're supposed to look after those who need it. It's simply the Government not charging tax on something that is essential to the quality of someones life.

Andrew33. What do you reckon an 08 3 door Fiesta automatic with holes in the dash is worth today?

doesn't sound like a reasonable argument TBH. If it were the case, then just the invoice price of the adaption/auto box extra cost would be offset.

If you compare our system to the Motability system in the UK where the scheme covers the contract hire of the car, cost of adaption, servicing, tyres, roadside assist, road tax, and insurance. This is in lieu of the disabled persons Disability Living Allowance (presuming they qualify) The disalbed person doesn't have to worry about sourcing the money for the car, they don't have to worry about the resale value, and they don't have to pay for maintainance.

I will concede that on the Irish system in the past (back in the days when VW Golfs lost 2000 quid or so a year) it was possible for someone to save enough VAT and VRT on a car to make little or no cost-to-change for 2 years. This is very much in the past now.

Even if the system was a little too generous or misguided in the past (or even if it still is) what's the harm? We're supposed to look after those who need it. It's simply the Government not charging tax on something that is essential to the quality of someones life.

Andrew33. What do you reckon an 08 3 door Fiesta automatic with holes in the dash is worth today?

Great post.......and I'm laughing at the last sentence you wrote. :D Re the bolded bit: Are you serious???

yeah, dead serious. Google "Motability UK"

yeah, dead serious. Google "Motability UK"

:eek: Crikey - why can't our government(s) come up with something like that?

cos the current system effectively costs them nothing!

Also the UK one is more complex in that you have ex soldiers who were injured at war, and the charity element of it that we don't have here.

:eek: Crikey - why can't our government(s) come up with something like that?

Stop will ya.. Andrew33 would have a seizure :D

• Advertisement

Stop will ya.. Andrew33 would have a seizure :D

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

why not concider a pugeot 308 auto, my grandfather has one its a lovley car looks very sporty and the seating posisiton is good and high in them, even before the mobility stuff is fitted?

why not concider a pugeot 308 auto,

1) The emissions are 174 g/km so the fuel consumption will be high
    2) it's 26 grand
    3) It's only available in a 5 door
    4) It'll be worthless second hand
    5) The road tax is 630 for the next owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

where are you from colm?

im fed up getting told off like a schoolboy every time i post a suggestion on here, concider this me last post in motors section

where are you from colm?

im fed up getting told off like a schoolboy every time i post a suggestion on here, concider this me last post in motors section

I dont think he means to "tell you off"? TBF, Colm seems to know what he's talking about!?

Colm seems to know what he's talking about!?

I will rephrase that
    "Colm KNOWS what he is talking about" ;)

• Advertisement

where are you from colm?

Jeez take it easy! If you'd read the rest of the (really long!) thread you'd see what the OP is looking for in a car, the 308 just doesn't fit any of the criteria. Don't take it personally.

Jeez take it easy! If you'd read the rest of the (really long!) thread you'd see what the OP is looking for in a car, the 308 just doesn't fit any of the criteria. Don't take it personally.

:D

Anyone got any opinions on the VW Golf TSI? I saw one yesterday and was like: http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Did you see the actual engine that got you salivating :)? TSI is a designation for the engine, not the trim level. The new TSI has 122BHP or 160BHP.

rocky wrote: »
    Did you see the actual engine that got you salivating :)? TSI is a designation for the engine, not the trim level. The new TSI has 122BHP or 160BHP.

LOL no. Just the car. Am gonna stick with the Comfortline 1.2l DSG model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Ah, forgot about the 105BHP one. I think it's a new engine, it should have the same BHP/capacity ratio of the 1.4-122BHP one, so it's not 'forced' as some would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Donal Murtagh outside Athlone has one of the largest selection of secondhand Wheelchair Accessible vehicles is Ireland for those who are
    are interested in the second hand market.
    http://www.donalmurtaghcars.com/used-cars.html
    I bought a car from him a few years ago and he's dead on...;)

Lads & lassies

I forgot to mention some stuff throughout this thread. Dunno if it's gonna have much bearing on my choice of car, but here goes:

As I am a disabled driver, I have one of those electric seat raising mechanisms for my front seat - this means that the mechanism is bolted in through the floor of the car.

Would something like this assist me with a car that has a higher driving position? I also use a transfer board to get in/out of the car.

What do people think of these figures? I asked the dealer who I bought the Fiesta from, how much it would cost me to change, and this is what he came back with:

If you were changing your car for the same again ie. 2010 fiesta automatic it would cost you approximately €6500 with a vat refund of €2500 back to you. If you changed for a Focus 3dr automatic it would cost you €9500 with a vat refund of €3500 back to you. These prices include vrt and ford allowances and a trade in price of approximately €10200 on your car.,
    If you are looking for a bigger car the Focus auto is as good as any car on the road at the moment. It has a 2 litre diesel triptronic with 6 speeds and is the latest and most up to date gearbox on the market.

MP

The Focus has the powershift box in that case. By all accounts it's a good gearbox, similar to the DSG in the Golf. AFAIK it can be had with the 1.6 diesel now as well as the 2.0 litre detuned to 110 brake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    The Focus has the powershift box in that case. By all accounts it's a good gearbox, similar to the DSG in the Golf. AFAIK it can be had with the 1.6 diesel now as well as the 2.0 litre detuned to 110 brake

Think it's still only with the 2.0d 110bhp.

Could be a winner http://www.carzone.ie/new-cars/Ford/Focus/2.0-TDCI-110PS-POWERSHIFT-STYLE/789356720100126/

OP
    Pricing sounded OK and the Focus is a nice car. No armrest in the Style model to get in the way of your seat. Should be a good bit more powerful than your current Fiesta without being an absolute rocket.

Tbh, I'm not too interested in loads of power. Not looking for a rocket!? Also, I can remember, when I was learning to drive in the Focus, I did have a lot of difficulty getting in & out of it, in regards to the height of it.

Another handicap(sic) that us disabled drivers/passengers have(in my humble opinion) is, that, when we are looking to purchase any new cars, we are unable to try the cars out - ie: we are unable to bring them for test drives etc, because they don't have the required adaptations until after we purchase the vehicle. IMO, there should be some sort of a scheme set up whereby disabled drivers/passengers are able to try out a car before they decide to spend money on it!? What do other disabled people think about this?

Another handicap(sic) that us disabled drivers/passengers have(in my humble opinion) is, that, when we are looking to purchase any new cars, we are unable to try the cars out - ie: we are unable to bring them for test drives etc, because they don't have the required adaptations until after we purchase the vehicle. IMO, there should be some sort of a scheme set up whereby disabled drivers/passengers are able to try out a car before they decide to spend money on it!? What do other disabled people think about this?

Aren't there some hand controls that are an easy enough fit? without too much damage?

My old Focus was owned by a disabled driver before me and the only trim damage was a tine 1 inch hole in the steering column where you couldn't see.

Should be done at a distributor level though. I'd imagine if you had a small central fleet of demos that could be booked they'd make a killing stealing sales from other manufacturers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

You can get H/controls that fit any car in minutes, no tools. These are not suitable for permanent attachment but are used to 'jury-rig' rentals and cars for a test drive.

They're not cheap, though if you'll get the use out of 'em try Sportaid. Just google it.

Actually, here's a link - http://www.sportaid.com/colours-az-1-portable-hand-controls.html

• Advertisement

Another thing that I have completely forgotten until now, is the PMC!!!! Will I need the original copy, or will the office in Monaghan still have that? I originally had one from the time I was registered as a passenger..?

I've just spoken to a friend of mine about the deal Ive been offered, and he is of the opinion that I may be getting ripped off by this guy??? According to him, I would have to spend the guts of 16k to change my car!!!? I went through all the figures that I have been given with him, and that is the conclusion that he came to!?

I'm having second thoughts..........

OP here again:

Went lookin at a couple of cars today. Looked at the Golf 3 door Comfortline model, beautiful car. I fell in love with it almost immediately. It has loads of space in it. Much bigger than I imagined. I also had a quick look at an Audi A3. Nice car, a little bit small though.

Am waiting to get an e-mail from one of the dealers in relation to what deal he can offer me for my car -2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4l tiptronic.

Another thing that I have completely forgotten until now, is the PMC!!!! Will I need the original copy, or will the office in Monaghan still have that? I originally had one from the time I was registered as a passenger..?

I am certain the Monaghan Office holds that and sends youi a dd1 form when you are ready to change ;)

I am certain the Monaghan Office holds that and sends youi a dd1 form when you are ready to change ;)

Thanks. Also, do you have to wait until the entire 2 years is up, or can you change before then? I'm worried that I won't get as good a deal as I have been offered now....?

Thanks. Also, do you have to wait until the entire 2 years is up, or can you change before then? I'm worried that I won't get as good a deal as I have been offered now....?

I actually rang them recently as i got a flaming good offer to trade up to a Seat Leon FR 2.0 Petrol..
    I thought i may be able to bring the date forward a bit and they told me my due date was 21st Aug. Anything before that and I have to re-pay them 80% of what they gave me :o

I actually rang them recently as i got a flaming good offer to trade up to a Seat Leon FR 2.0 Petrol..
    I thought i may be able to bring the date forward a bit and they told me my due date was 21st Aug. Anything before that and I have to re-pay them 80% of what they gave me :o

F**k that. I'll hang on till my due date....think its sometime in July??

.................would I be losing much on my car by hanging on until July??

F**k that. I'll hang on till my due date....think its sometime in July??

Ring them and get your date

.................would I be losing much on my car by hanging on until July??

Not as much as you would have to pay them back in Monaghan

Ring them and get your date

Not as much as you would have to pay them back in Monaghan

Thanks.....just got a text from a friend and he told me that, if I wanted to change before my due date, I would have to repay the VAT on my current car.

• Advertisement

Thanks.....just got a text from a friend and he told me that, if I wanted to change before my due date, I would have to repay the VAT on my current car.

You would have to pay back 80% of the VRT
    I dont know how much VAT would have to be paid

Advertisement