Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please help disabled driver choose a car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can anyone suggest a 2 door hatchback that I would be able to get the max VAT(€9525) from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Can anyone suggest a 2 door hatchback that I would be able to get the max VAT(€9525) from?
    Subaru Imprezza TD RS Retail around 32k
    no-image-large.gif
    HERE
    Denis and Mary Ryan offered me one for €20k no trade in.
    Good deal if you ask me.
    Sell your own car private.

vectra wrote: »
    Subaru Imprezza TD RS Retail around 32k
    no-image-large.gif
    HERE
    Denis and Mary Ryan offered me one for €20k no trade in.
    Good deal if you ask me.
    Sell your own car private.

Needs to be a 2 door.

ah
    sorry
    How about this then :eek:
    Retailing at €32k
    A bit of bargaining again should bring it in at around the same as the subaru :D

no-image-large.gif

Mercedes-Benz/CLC-Class/CLC-200-/

ah
    sorry
    Retailing at €32k
    A bit of bargaining again should bring it in at around the same as the subaru :D

no-image-large.gif

Mercedes-Benz/CLC-Class/CLC-200-/200942195498426/advert?channel=CARS

Holy s**t! How would I know which cars would give me the 9525 and which ones wouldn't?:confused: I obviously did myself out of a few quid when I changed from the Micra to the Fiesta!?

• Advertisement

Holy s**t! How would I know which cars would give me the 9525 and which ones wouldn't?:confused: I obviously did myself out of a few quid when I changed from the Micra to the Fiesta!?

Well,
    I had to try figure this out as well.
    This is how I do it but am probably wrong :rolleyes:

Merc = 31950 retail
    I think someone said the OMSP is around 92% of retail = €29394

VRT = 20% = €29394 /120 *100 = €24495

VAT = 21.5% = €24495 /121.5 *100 = €20,160

Then comes the haggling :D

Somebody correct me please if I am wrong.:o

Well,
    I had to try figure this out as well.
    This is how I do it but am probably wrong :rolleyes:

Merc = 31950 retail
    I think someone said the OMSP is around 92% of retail = €29394

VRT = 20% = €29394 /120 *100 = €24495

VAT = 21.5% = €24495 /121.5 *100 = €20,160

Then comes the haggling :D

Somebody correct me please if I am wrong.:o

I really should've paid more attention during maths at school!!!:rolleyes::D

ah
    sorry
    Retailing at €32k

no-image-large.gif

Mercedes-Benz/CLC-Class/CLC-200-/

Nice car, but a bit too big for my liking.

Nice car, but a bit too big for my liking.

There's just no pleasing some people :pac:

"I'll be back" :D

There's just no pleasing some people :pac:

"I'll be back" :D

Sorry ..............I'm completely unsure about what I want. I was gonna go for a VW Golf, but then someone said that I should go for something that will give me the full 9525 VAT/VRT.

• Advertisement

Sorry ..............I'm completely unsure about what I want. I was gonna go for a VW Golf, but then someone said that I should go for something that will give me the full 9525 VAT/VRT.

No hassle bud
    I will be in the same position as you next year.
    Anyhow
    How about a
    Kia Pro-Ceed?
    2.0TDI 140BHP

no-image-large.gif

Pro Ceed

I estimate around €17k with a bit of bargaining.

No hassle bud
    I will be in the same position as you next year.
    Anyhow
    How about a
    Kia Pro-Ceed?
    2.0TDI 140BHP

no-image-large.gif

Pro Ceed

I estimate around €17k with a bit of bargaining.

Nice car. And the inside doesn't have one of those stupid, huge centre consoles that get in the way of the wheelchair!

EDIT: By the way, is that an auto?

EDIT: By the way, is that an auto?

Manual... 7 Year warranty though.. Good selling point afterwards.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/KIA/pro_ceed/1.6-CRDI/200840190271497/advert?channel=CARS

Manual... 7 Year warranty though.. Good selling point afterwards.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/KIA/pro_ceed/1.6-CRDI/200840190271497/advert?channel=CARS

No good to me. Read the thread title.

No good to me. Read the thread title.

Order it in auto then? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

you're on about a Golf but dismissing the Merc which is the same size?

EPM wrote: »
    you're on about a Golf but dismissing the Merc which is the same size?

Golf is cheaper.

Golf is cheaper.

But will you reclalim the 9.5 k back as you specified?
    Also
    Merc is better and would most likely give you a better return on resale afterwards.

The Kia Proceed can be had with the 1.6 diesel in auto i think, plus there'll be spec changes in next few months. The dealer that has the one shown, from personal experience, are excellent btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why does it have to be 2 door. Surely if you were to have apddengers the 4/5 door option would be much better.

Anywho...the new Prius is due here next month...worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

2doors in alot of cars, the doors are longer, and its easier getting in and out, and lifting in the chair

2doors in alot of cars, the doors are longer, and its easier getting in and out, and lifting in the chair

This.

I'll tell ya another handicap(sic) that us disabled drivers have to overcome when choosing a car:

Most, if not all garages, do not have a facility where they have a modified car for their disabled customers to try out. Sure, ye can go and sit in an automatic, but it's not the same as trying out one that has modifications done to it.

Do any of my fellow disabled drivers have any thoughts/opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't get too caught up in the saving €9500 thing. Cars with that much VRT will either be very expensive or in a very high VRT band. Cars with a high VRT band will be very difficult to sell on as a lot of cars now fall into the €104 or €156 bracket. you may be exempt from road tax, but it will be a huge issue to the next buyer of the car.

Get something you actually like or need. there's nothing saying you actually need to change the Fiesta. With the way the used car market has gone, and with reductions in VRT on many cars, changing like for like for 2 years for free is gone.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't get too caught up in the saving €9500 thing. Cars with that much VRT will either be very expensive or in a very high VRT band. Cars with a high VRT band will be very difficult to sell on as a lot of cars now fall into the €104 or €156 bracket. you may be exempt from road tax, but it will be a huge issue to the next buyer of the car.

Get something you actually like or need. there's nothing saying you actually need to change the Fiesta. With the way the used car market has gone, and with reductions in VRT on many cars, changing like for like for 2 years for free is gone.

Really? So, it wouldn't be worth my while changing my car now, even though the option is available to me??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My simple reasoning is:

06 Fiesta Steel models this year made about €8k, I'd assume 07s next year would be the same?

I think an Automatic one will be a harder sell second hand, especially in a 3dr.

Take a new Fiesta 1.4 Style 3dr auto. with metallic paint, you're talking a little over €19k. A discount to around €17500 wouldn't be unreasonable. the VRT on that is roughly €3k that leaves you with €14500 including VAT, knock the VAT off that, and you have €11,934. Add the cost of transferring your hand controls over, and you're up to about €12,500.

After the exemption, you could still be looking at €4.5k to change. and that's on another Fiesta. those figures are based on what we were selling 06 Fiestas for, things might be better next year.

On the other hand, if you leave it another year, you have to fork out more money the next time. It's a toughie.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My simple reasoning is:

06 Fiesta Steel models this year made about €8k, I'd assume 07s next year would be the same?

I think an Automatic one will be a harder sell second hand, especially in a 3dr.

Take a new Fiesta 1.4 Style 3dr auto. with metallic paint, you're talking a little over €19k. A discount to around €17500 wouldn't be unreasonable. the VRT on that is roughly €3k that leaves you with €14500 including VAT, knock the VAT off that, and you have €11,934. Add the cost of transferring your hand controls over, and you're up to about €12,500.

After the exemption, you could still be looking at €4.5k to change. and that's on another Fiesta. those figures are based on what we were selling 06 Fiestas for, things might be better next year.

On the other hand, if you leave it another year, you have to fork out more money the next time. It's a toughie.

Even though my car has very low mileage/kilomeratage(lol) on it?

It still wouldn't be a popular car secondhand unfortunately

EPM wrote: »
    It still wouldn't be a popular car secondhand unfortunately

Oh well. Won't be my problem once it's off my hands.

• Advertisement

:(........guess what guys?? Volkswagen ain't doing the Golf in a 3door DSG version anymore!!!

Any other suggestions? It must be a 3 door car!

Advertisement