Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Please help disabled driver choose a car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

colm_mcm wrote: »
    unfortunately that post is a year old and that refers to the old Mk5 Golf which is gone now :(

Ah................c**p! :rolleyes: What is it called now then? Mk6???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep!

Mk1 1974
    Mk2 1985
    Mk3 1992
    Mk4 1998
    Mk5 2003 ( i know we didn't get it till 04!)
    Mk6 2009

Yep!

Mk1 1974
    Mk2 1985
    Mk3 1992
    Mk4 1998
    Mk5 2003 ( i know we didn't get it till 04!)
    Mk6 2009

Cheers, Colm. I'm gonna take a day off work and have a look at a couple of cars. And I am gonna try to get a car dealer that is quite local to me. As I explained earlier in this thread when buying the Fiesta, I need to find somewhere fairly close for convenience sake.

I may be limiting my choices but I don't have the luxury of going too far afield.

I'm confused guys.

I've heard two different stories from separate VW Dealerships in relation to the VW Golf 1.2l TSI DSG:

1. Ballsbridge Motors are telling me that this model can be ordered in a 3 door version.

2. Park Motors on the Navan Road are telling me that this model cannot be got in the 3 door version.

What the bloody hell is going on??

Just to add, I saw a 2010 reg Mk6 Golf today, and all I can say is..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'm confused guys.

I've heard two different stories from separate VW Dealerships in relation to the VW Golf 1.2l TSI DSG:

1. Ballsbridge Motors are telling me that this model can be ordered in a 3 door version.

2. Park Motors on the Navan Road are telling me that this model cannot be got in the 3 door version.

What the bloody hell is going on??

Just to add, I saw a 2010 reg Mk6 Golf today, and all I can say is..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy.

I guess order it from Ballsbridge Motors then?

• Advertisement

I spoke to the guy from Park Motors again today. Apparently, the 1.2l Golf can be ordered in the 3 door and DSG version. It would be a special order. I was quoted just over 19k for it. Less the VRT would bring it down to about 18k. This quote was given to me without any details taken about my Fiesta.

I also spoke to Ballsbridge Motors. The guy i spoke to there took details of my Fiesta(year, size, model, mileage), and said he will get back to me within the next couple of days with a quote.

He also said that he would call out to where I work to have a closer look at the car.

I'm going to go over to Park Motors to take a closer look at the Golf sometime soon.

VRT should be over 2 grand Mickey. (16% of a 20k OMSP) Make sure they're not pulling a fast one on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

fabsoul wrote: »
    yes, i do it every 2 yrs
    nice to see someone abusing the system:mad:

VRT should be over 2 grand Mickey. (16% of a 20k OMSP) Make sure they're not pulling a fast one on you.

These figures aren't exact. I have to go looking for them!!!!!

Andrew33 wrote: »

What are you talking about? We aren't abusing the system. This is in place for years.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers.

Do your research before you go making generalisations like that in future.

• Advertisement

He's right, people are using the system rather abusing it.

Whether the system is fair given the number of suitable used cars now available and the popularity of automatics compared to when the scheme came in is another matter for a seperate thread I think.

He's right, people are using the system rather abusing it.

Whether the system is fair given the number of suitable used cars now available and the popularity of automatics compared to when the scheme came in is another matter for a seperate thread I think.

I'm going to look at the Golf purely on the recommendation of a fellow wheelchair user who says they're ideal. I'm going to go to a dealer to take a look at one.

Could you elaborate ?:confused:

vectra wrote: »

He can't. Otherwise he would've been able to reply to our posts straight away.

He's not online lads. Let's not get too excited!

He's not online lads. Let's not get too excited!

Trollage???

Trollage???

jealous? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Trollage???
    jealous? :rolleyes:

Both?

;)

Guys.

Update on figures for the VW Golf Comfortline 1.2l DSG from Park Motors:

It's gonna cost me €22923 inc VAT/VRT or €19652 if you subtract the VRT. These figures are done without taking my Ford Fiesta into account.

I'm waiting on another contact from Ballsbridge Motors to come back to me. The guy I spoke to there is going to give me figures which will include my Fiesta. He's also very kindly agreed to call out to where I work and (a) take a look at my car, and (b) IIRC, he said that he's driving a VW Golf, so I will be able to take a closer look at one.

MP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The mechanism whereby a disabled person can buy a vehicle minus VRT/VAT was put in place to help offset the higher purchase price of automatic cars and having cars adapted etc, it was NOT put in place so some people could sell the vehicle on at a profit after two years.
    As I said, "nice to see some people abusing the system"

• Advertisement

The mechanism whereby a disabled person can buy a vehicle minus VRT/VAT was put in place to help offset the higher purchase price of automatic cars and having cars adapted etc, it was NOT put in place so some people could sell the vehicle on at a profit after two years.

Source? Link?

Where did you source this information?
    I would like to read the official statement that you got that from.

Where did you source this information?
    I would like to read the official statement that you got that from.

Me too.

doesn't sound like a reasonable argument TBH. If it were the case, then just the invoice price of the adaption/auto box extra cost would be offset.

If you compare our system to the Motability system in the UK where the scheme covers the contract hire of the car, cost of adaption, servicing, tyres, roadside assist, road tax, and insurance. This is in lieu of the disabled persons Disability Living Allowance (presuming they qualify) The disalbed person doesn't have to worry about sourcing the money for the car, they don't have to worry about the resale value, and they don't have to pay for maintainance.

I will concede that on the Irish system in the past (back in the days when VW Golfs lost 2000 quid or so a year) it was possible for someone to save enough VAT and VRT on a car to make little or no cost-to-change for 2 years. This is very much in the past now.

Even if the system was a little too generous or misguided in the past (or even if it still is) what's the harm? We're supposed to look after those who need it. It's simply the Government not charging tax on something that is essential to the quality of someones life.

Andrew33. What do you reckon an 08 3 door Fiesta automatic with holes in the dash is worth today?

doesn't sound like a reasonable argument TBH. If it were the case, then just the invoice price of the adaption/auto box extra cost would be offset.

If you compare our system to the Motability system in the UK where the scheme covers the contract hire of the car, cost of adaption, servicing, tyres, roadside assist, road tax, and insurance. This is in lieu of the disabled persons Disability Living Allowance (presuming they qualify) The disalbed person doesn't have to worry about sourcing the money for the car, they don't have to worry about the resale value, and they don't have to pay for maintainance.

I will concede that on the Irish system in the past (back in the days when VW Golfs lost 2000 quid or so a year) it was possible for someone to save enough VAT and VRT on a car to make little or no cost-to-change for 2 years. This is very much in the past now.

Even if the system was a little too generous or misguided in the past (or even if it still is) what's the harm? We're supposed to look after those who need it. It's simply the Government not charging tax on something that is essential to the quality of someones life.

Andrew33. What do you reckon an 08 3 door Fiesta automatic with holes in the dash is worth today?

Great post.......and I'm laughing at the last sentence you wrote. :D Re the bolded bit: Are you serious???

yeah, dead serious. Google "Motability UK"

yeah, dead serious. Google "Motability UK"

:eek: Crikey - why can't our government(s) come up with something like that?

cos the current system effectively costs them nothing!

Also the UK one is more complex in that you have ex soldiers who were injured at war, and the charity element of it that we don't have here.

:eek: Crikey - why can't our government(s) come up with something like that?

Stop will ya.. Andrew33 would have a seizure :D

• Advertisement

Stop will ya.. Andrew33 would have a seizure :D

LOL

Advertisement