Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He's got a great shot. Most people born and bred in the town know him. He's a business man with his own business on Dublin Street (next door to the Shinners offices) so he understands all of the issues the retailers in the town centre are facing and so will attract votes from there as well. He's involved in loads of things, he's the guy who is always dressed up with another fellow on the Patricks Day parade and would be highly regarded by a lot of the older generation. Given the quality of some of his opponents I think he will get in. I don't know him that well but from talking to the inlaws, they are all planning on giving him a number 1 and were delighted he is running.

Well why doesn’t he get out and campaign and sell that message then? Rather than that nonsense he came out with. If you’re too lazy to campaign I can guarantee he’ll be too lazy to work in the council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Not sure if Mr. Jennings press release was supposed generate a story but Carlow Live went with it in any case so it's one way of getting your name out there indirectly I guess > https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/416170/carlow-local-election-candidate-running-with-no-posters-no-canvass-and-it-only-cost-100.html

Maybe it's down to resources but doesn't look like Carlow Live will be doing anything much on Local Elections.

KCLR Live're doing Locals (Carlow & Kilkenny done; the other 5 areas in constituency next week) & Sue Nunn's doing European Elections with I think about half of the 27 covered so far if not more; her Theresa Heaney interview on Wednesday was quite a hoot!

Nationalist may well do something on Tuesday because leaving it til Tuesday week the 21st might be too late if anything needs to be corrected; if they do nothing then it's down to laziness on part of their journalists; they've known who the candidates are for quite some time now; majority of outgoing Cllrs.'re running and others put their necks on block ages ago too.

Carlow Chamber of Commerce held 1st Regional "Our Time to Vote" on Thursday night in Lord Bagenal; 9 Candidates for 5 Seats with 6 Outgoing Cllrs.

5 Candidates showed up; Cllr. McDonald (who was late), Phiilp Gahan, Josie Daly (FF), Cllr. Willie Quinn (Lab) & Cllr. Ml. Doran (FG) which was pretty p**s poor.

Audience? Incl. President of CCC Yvonne Jones who was the time-keeper/bell ringer and whoever was doing their social media updates on night I think I counted 3-4 others so incl. CEO Brian Farrell that makes it 7.

Not sure who's at fault; CCC themselves; was it not a very well thought out idea?

Electorate & businesses in South Carlow who aren't engaging?

There's another one in Tullow Tuesday & Carlow Thursday; I'd've just done one for whole county in Lord Bagenal/Mt. Wolsley/Stephouse etc. instead of 3.

Oh god I’d love to hear the Theresa Heaney one- last time she was telling us how our drinking water is all polluted from hussies on the pill!

road_high wrote: »
    Oh god I’d love to hear the Theresa Heaney one- last time she was telling us how our drinking water is all polluted from hussies on the pill!

Keep an eye out for it to appear here at this link > https://kclr96fm.com/catchup/

"Normally" they'll U/L The Way It Is 24 hours later (unlike KCLR Live which goes up almost straightaway; first hour's up while second hour's underway) but they've been quite tardy; not sure if it's fault of Sue herself or shows producer.

Very few U/Ls recently of the show or bits of it; would've liked a section on the EP candidates in their Election Special section too.

There's a few interviews here though, Peter O'Loughlin/Identity Ireland who ran in Bye-Election 2015 and who ran in EP 2014 in Ireland South too, Adrienne Wallace PBPs Candidate for everything, Labours Sheila Nunan, Liadh Ni Riada SF & Cllr. Malcolm Byrne FF/Gorey & Walter Ryan-Purcell (Ind.) from Co. Tipperary I think.

https://kclr96fm.com/the-way-it-is/

Wallace more or less admitted she hasn’t a hope of an EU seat. So why bother?

• Advertisement

Publicity for her & party on a national scale I guess?

They've a candidate from Donegal in Midlands-NW & one in Dublin too.

Both're probably eyeing up a tilt @ General Election like her too.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Publicity for her & party on a national scale I guess?

They've a candidate from Donegal in Midlands-NW & one in Dublin too.

Both're probably eyeing up a tilt @ General Election like her too.

Surely just a distraction from her more realistic Council bid? Wonder how she’ll do

Surely just a distraction from her more realistic Council bid? Wonder how she’ll do

Not sure but be some kick in the if Jennings, whether elected or not, beats her on 1PVs or total etc.

With 5 Outgoing Cllrs. for 7 Seats & 12 Cllrs. she **should** be confident of one of the other 2 but her protests in 2017 & 2018 are ruling her out for me despite me agreeing with some of her social policies.

Would be disappointed but not surprised to see Ken Murnane getting back in; he reinforced his brutality on KCLR Live on Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ming had years of failure and humiliation before he got elected to the gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He's got a great shot. Most people born and bred in the town know him. He's a business man with his own business on Dublin Street (next door to the Shinners offices) so he understands all of the issues the retailers in the town centre are facing and so will attract votes from there as well. He's involved in loads of things, he's the guy who is always dressed up with another fellow on the Patricks Day parade and would be highly regarded by a lot of the older generation. Given the quality of some of his opponents I think he will get in. I don't know him that well but from talking to the inlaws, they are all planning on giving him a number 1 and were delighted he is running.

But why would you vote for him - as a joke or something?

What’s his policy platform Other than his promise to sing follow me up to carlow if he gets elected?

He seems to be a novelty candidate (being kind to him).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well at least we know he will actually keep his one promise if he gets elected.

How many promises do most politicians actually keep when they knock on your door looking for a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

But why would you vote for him - as a joke or something?

What’s his policy platform Other than his promise to sing follow me up to carlow if he gets elected?

He seems to be a novelty candidate (being kind to him).

He's actually got more publicity out of this campaign that any of the other candidates in the town. Articles in most of the national newspapers about him today, publicity no other candidate could buy.

As for why will people vote for him, he's a well known "face" in Carlow, more so then most of the other candidates so name recognition counts, he's a proven small business owner (how many of the other candidates can say that they have run their own business for decades)? and he is heavily involved in a lot of local activities as opposed to simply turning up to cut a ribbon when an election is coming. Yes, I'd like to hear his views on things like town planning before I make my decision but he'll get votes because people know and respect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

maccored wrote: »
    bye bye morresseys

Was there any specific reason for the shutdown? Passed it a couple of times recently and noticed it was shut. Didn't think much of it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Well at least we know he will actually keep his one promise if he gets elected.

How many promises do most politicians actually keep when they knock on your door looking for a vote.

A promise to sing follow me up to carlow isn’t worth a tuppence ha’penny damn to be quite honest and frank with you

Novelty candidate and/or attention seeking.

No harm in that but call it what it is.

KCLR Live Debate tomorrow morning for South Carlow (Leighlinbridge/Bagenalstown/Borris/Myshall/St. Mullins/Tinnahinch etc.) and it's 9 Candidates for 5 Seats with 6 Outgoing Cllrs.

Looking at the candidates it's a pity there HAS to be 5 returned; the calibre of candidate is p**s poor; saving grace is at least 1 Cllr. will lose his seat.

But we need good candidates to take over from incumbent Cllrs. who're unlikely to lose their seats even looking ahead to 2024; Cllr. Quinn for example has the GAA & Tidy Town votes in his back pocket despite being a ducking gombeen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Was there any specific reason for the shutdown? Passed it a couple of times recently and noticed it was shut. Didn't think much of it at the time.

no idea. sorely missed (by me)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

A promise to sing follow me up to carlow isn’t worth a tuppence ha’penny damn to be quite honest and frank with you

No harm in that but call it what it is.

he said he'd sing that if he won. what he promised was to do the best for carlow and the surrounding areas as he possible could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I think when the election is over he will turn around and say "look how well I done with no posters etc" I think he will do okay he won't be bottom of the polls and could very well be in with a shot. Look at the amount he does and involved with in town. Thats not all for show he is a proud Carlow man.

He's on front page of paper today telling even, people to NOT vote for him and saying something about Russian interference in/influence on media.

Like KCLR/Carlow Live/the Nationalist.....?

His social & political experiment won't work if he's asking people NOT to vote for him; he should've just gone with his PR & left it sit.

He's not put anything in windows or door of shop either, not even his press release.

Zero effort; he'll make a great Cllr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 adk1

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Murnane, like the sister on air, was brutal; Wallace handed him his.

Wayne Fennell, despite having served on council from 03-04 (co-opted in favour of Fergal Browne who was appointed to Seanad) and 09-14 couldn't say what he could do, as a Cllr., similar to 30 mins. free car parking for which Cllr. Phelan was taking credit for.

Very poor.

listened to the radio debate as wanted to get a feel for the candidates and what they were about im not affilliated to any party and for me a big issue is the state of the town centre and the fact that it is derelict and riddled with traffic and car parks at the same time the only building going on is housing estates on the edge of town-no wonder the town centres banjaxed because no one lives there. The one person that got to the nub of the problem with Carlow was Fennell when he said thet people need to live in the town Centre, he referred to Westport where they are employing professionals(town planners and architects) to build a town centre that people want to visit and to live in. I think thats more important than rates landscaping plans, and traffic calming out on the brownshill road etc. not saying they are not important issues. so that made my mind up that im going to vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If only Wayne Fennell had once been a county councillor before!

adk1 wrote: »
    listened to the radio debate as wanted to get a feel for the candidates and what they were about im not affilliated to any party and for me a big issue is the state of the town centre and the fact that it is derelict and riddled with traffic and car parks at the same time the only building going on is housing estates on the edge of town-no wonder the town centres banjaxed because no one lives there. The one person that got to the nub of the problem with Carlow was Fennell when he said thet people need to live in the town Centre, he referred to Westport where they are employing professionals(town planners and architects) to build a town centre that people want to visit and to live in. I think thats more important than rates landscaping plans, and traffic calming out on the brownshill road etc. not saying they are not important issues. so that made my mind up that im going to vote for him.

Here's the thing though. I attended a Town Hall launch of Carlow Town Team; best guess is it was 2013 or 2014 but where's it gone?

Mothballed very bucking quietly to be subsumed into Love Carlow which in itself is a spin-off of County Carlow Chamber of Commerce.....

Part of the talk on the day was revitalising our town centre by introducing living over shops.......but for this to be a runner it needs national buy in in terms of policies, encouragement to renovate (lease & let residential scheme or whatever correct term is has a p**s poor take up locally), financial incentives etc.

The idea had merit; there are a few places along Tullow & Dublin St. where people're living over shops like Lamberts family're doing and above what was Fussy Galores for example, above Sue Ryder (2 Apts.), above Euro Giant and further along Tullow St. in direction of Shamrock Sq. on L.H.S.

But in all those cases they're there for quite some time and I don't think any new accommodation over shops has come on line.

Now with Walshes Yard getting go ahead for student accommodation, Coxs Lane also going to house some and Cafe Roma having PP in for, I think, 5 Student Units which will back out onto the Shopping Centre Car Park/Valeting space there's some chance of increased footfall at least.

But it's depressing passing by so many businesses and looking at their 1st & 2nd Floors lying empty, gathering dust & mould & damp & becoming derelict when if I owned one I'd create a separate entrance and convert upstairs like the new owners of Mrs. Hayes Arts & Crafts Shop on Dublin St. did; they've now got at least 2 Air B&B Accommodation Units alongside the Vape Shop.

Don't know who owns half the commercial properties along those two streets but I wonder are those in them, whether owners or leasing the premises paying rates on full area or just actual space used by business itself?

Because I guess if you can close off an area to avoid paying rates, be it like in Bookstation which was much larger when it was Byrnes Bookshop, or an upstairs area to avoid paying commercial rates, then why would you bother renovating it for residential when, if it's leased, you can simply coin it in via leases.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

Here's a perfect example of what happens around local election time.
    Apologies for the copypaste from that CarlowLive site.

''Area engineer, Jerry Crowley, said there was funding set aside from the junction at the shop (Doyle's Royal Oak Stores) to the bridge however Cllr Foley asked for this to be diverted on to another part of the road which needs resurfacing works more.
    He said: "From the bridge up, by St Lazerians up, is the worst part of it. It would be better to do that surface."
    Mr Crowley said the Council could move the funding and do the section Cllr Foley is requesting.''

Foley lives beside St Lazerians, this stretch of road is fine. The Royal Oak junction badly needs it.
    For 40 years this Fine Gael leech has done nothing for no one and lived most of his life on expenses.
    If he gets reelected, feck Bagenalstown, they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 adk1

nokia you get it, you look around the town centre and most of the buildings theres no lights on at night, but also theres acres of unused and derelict land in the town cente thats just sitting there unused/derelict.

I take your point about economic viability but theres building going on out on the edge of town, more people that need cars to come into town-more traffic.

Look up "The regeneration of Westport" on youtube, very interesting, regeneration not driven by councilors or business interests rather professionals that know what they are doing. i suspect if business interests has their way they would turn the town centre into a drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Carlow has become a Doughnut town, with everything in the centre gone and it all around the outside of the town. There is hardly a single reason to go shopping in the towncentre now

What I find disappointing about the current election is the lack of a real vision by any of the candidates. For example, why not have a vision to make Carlow the cycling capital of Ireland with proper cycle parks in the centre of town and proper, dedicated seperated cycle paths (not lines in the road) into the centre of town. I'm not saying it would be easy or cheap to do, but at least give some thought as to what could be done. Someone else mentioned renting out above shops, maybe give a rates rebate for retailers who do that. Where are all the creative ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Carlow has become a Doughnut town, with everything in the centre gone and it all around the outside of the town. There is hardly a single reason to go shopping in the towncentre now

What I find disappointing about the current election is the lack of a real vision by any of the candidates. For example, why not have a vision to make Carlow the cycling capital of Ireland with proper cycle parks in the centre of town and proper, dedicated seperated cycle paths (not lines in the road) into the centre of town. I'm not saying it would be easy or cheap to do, but at least give some thought as to what could be done. Someone else mentioned renting out above shops, maybe give a rates rebate for retailers who do that. Where are all the creative ideas?

I agree, I just feel all of our candidates are just another passenger on the gravy train. I was in Sligo yesterday and there is proper cycle lanes all over it. There is a brilliant park called Doorley Park that has a 2 km cycle and walking circut in it and would be amazing having something like that for Carlow.
    The best places in Carlow to walk are oak park and Altamont, both closed at 6
    We have nothing like a greenway amenities or facilities

Friend's looking to rent in Carlow (Couple coming from Galway to work) and asked me to recommend some spots (things aren't as bad as Dublin.....yet...but it depends on budget & what you want in terms of spec, how many rooms, whether you drive etc.).

Spotted this; is it as grim as it looks does anyone know; guessing it's a case of you get what you pay for > https://www.daft.ie/carlow/apartments-for-rent/carlow-town/4-dublin-street-carlow-town-carlow-carlow-town-carlow-1934285/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Over a cab office.

It's worse than grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Tis cheap all right but them electric heaters would be expensive to run in a hard winter. I would be checking out the fire exits is the number 1 thing and look to view the fire inspection cert.

• Advertisement

As it happens there's an apt. (could actually be two in it) in Royal Hotel in on R.H.S. Not quite sure how they got up the furniture; possibly via a forklift/cherry picker or maybe a hoist because the stairs up are narrow as; they strike me as the fire escape.

Think I viewed it a few years back and the window wouldn't close properly....part of it's character and charm the person showing it told me.

Advertisement