Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Friend's looking to rent in Carlow (Couple coming from Galway to work) and asked me to recommend some spots (things aren't as bad as Dublin.....yet...but it depends on budget & what you want in terms of spec, how many rooms, whether you drive etc.).

Spotted this; is it as grim as it looks does anyone know; guessing it's a case of you get what you pay for > https://www.daft.ie/carlow/apartments-for-rent/carlow-town/4-dublin-street-carlow-town-carlow-carlow-town-carlow-1934285/

Presume if they’re moving to Carlow for work they’re reasonably well paid professionals? That place looks dreadful- spend a bit more and get some place decent. Even if they have to go to Leighlin or Tullow or somewhere outside the town. Carlow is still a good bit cheaper than Kilkenny to rent and better value places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Thought I'd just been seeing his cars too often and that there weren't actually that many......spoke to one of Fintan Phelans team today and they've 25 canvassers and 13 cars with his livery on the go.....

Thought I'd just been seeing his cars too often and that there weren't actually that many......spoke to one of Fintan Phelans team today and they've 25 canvassers and 13 cars with his livery on the go.....

Say he fancies a tilt at the dail. Be good to have someone with the first clue there for a change. Hard to get rid of the Murnane one though, her mafia seem to think they’ve a god given right to a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Not a hope Phelan will get the nod over Murnane. She thinks she has the right to the seat since MJ Nolan retired, but is not good enough.

Speaking of the Murnanes while she goes with "Team Jen" at times (front page of Nationalist regularly up to recently) Ken's hi-viz jackets're adorned with "Team Murnane" so presumably she'll be using them when the time comes.

• Advertisement

Also Adrienne Wallace will be on Prime Time Sunday night for Ireland South.....

She will be car crash television, doubt she know the role of an MEP

Speaking of the Murnanes while she goes with "Team Jen" at times (front page of Nationalist regularly up to recently) Ken's hi-viz jackets're adorned with "Team Murnane" so presumably she'll be using them when the time comes.

Jennifer is a hard name to spell you know...

Always good for a bit of random off the wall shouting ...capitalists feeding off the little people and all that stuff

votecounts wrote: »
    She will be car crash television, doubt she know the role of an MEP

I think we’re safe. She seems to be focusing all her energy on the local Council seat. If she doesn’t get it this time she may forget it. PBP heyday is fading fast

• Advertisement

Not a hope Phelan will get the nod over Murnane. She thinks she has the right to the seat since MJ Nolan retired, but is not good enough.

Also thinks the proportional representation enshrined in our national constitution shouldn’t apply to her either. Prize dimwits that flock around her had her elected before all the FG transfers were allocated last time. Mcguinness or Alyward aren’t giving up theirs seats softly and there’s not 3 quotas for FF.
    She’s one politician that irritates me beyond belief, I think it’s the sheer lack of ability . The brother is something to behold, like someone KCLR pulled in off the strrrt to debate

road_high wrote: »
    Also thinks the proportional representation enshrined in our national constitution shouldn’t apply to her either. Prize dimwits that flock around her had her elected before all the FG transfers were allocated last time. Mcguinness or Alyward aren’t giving up theirs seats softly and there’s not 3 quotas for FF.
    She’s one politician that irritates me beyond belief, I think it’s the sheer lack of ability . The brother is something to behold, like someone KCLR pulled in off the strrrt to debate
    I remember that, know a relative of hers who I seen delighted that she was a TD, even some papers had her won the seat. The face on him when he realised she lost was priceless.

I remember that, know a relative of hers who I seen delighted that she was a TD, even some papers had her won the seat. The face on him when he realised she lost was priceless.

Yes it was pure fantasy. She had more no 1s than Pat Deering but he had thousands of no 2s from David Fitzgerald who was eliminated. Instead of blaming her cute FF colleagues who didn't share their votes with her Pat deering bore the brunt of the childish tantrums. The behavior online reminded me of kids when they don’t get something and really turned me off her for good
    Granted she’d be better than that SF one we have for all that

Adrienne Wallace PBP on Primetime debate tonight- lord knows what she’ll come out with!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Say he fancies a tilt at the dail. Be good to have someone with the first clue there for a change. Hard to get rid of the Murnane one though, her mafia seem to think they’ve a god given right to a seat

Doesn’t he work in FF hq? He’s well in there as they say.

Doesn’t he work in FF hq? He’s well in there as they say.

Dunno? Did see him on the early train one morning so possibly he works in Dublin. He seems a good sort, educated

Would imagine there's no competition in terms of amount of canvassers & cars with his logo on them but I spoke with a member of Cllr. Phelans team recently.......13 cars with his name/face on them (don't know if his own's included in that) and 25 canvassers (again don't know if he himself's in that).

That's a serious machine and, whatever one thinks of Ms. Wallace and her antics over past few years, she's right up against that sort of thing when out campaigning; I'd say her team locally & in Ireland South would only be a fraction of that; maybe 1-2 cars and perhaps 5-10 canvassers maximum.

That's got to be disheartening for her, them and other similar sized party candidates & independents; even look at Mick Wallace; he drives himself around in a MPV & there was a mini bus too when he was in Carlow few weeks back.

Would much rather there was a central pot for smaller parties & independents to dip into on an equally fair & shared basis to give them some sort of a chance; I know we might end up with some crackpots this way like MHR & DHR etc. but there are some credible candidates that will never see beyond 1st or 2nd count under current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

My Carlow Town predictions: 1. Cllr. Fintan Phelan; with 13 Cars on the go & 25 Canvassers, if he doesn't top the poll on 1st Preference Votes it'd be a disappointment for him; he needs this 6 &win to nudge the Senator aside for a General Election run in the constituency.

2 & 3 will be between John Cassin & Fergal Browne I think.

Begrudgingly 4 & 5 will be Ken Murnane & Andrea Dalton though I really hope I'm wrong on either or both; Andrea shared a post in April about supporting local media (a Fianna Fail bill I think) and yet she constantly pops up on It's All About Anthony who plagiarises the three main local media publications as well as nicking other peoples photos, RTE videos etc.)....

6 & 7 will be a dogfight if 4 & 5 are how I'm saying.

Adrienne Wallace has had to split her time between EP Canvassing & Locals; her team's a fraction of the FF Machines; single figures in terms of canvass & probably only has her own car; I think she's in with a right shout though and it doesn't matter if it's the 7th Seat so long's you get in.

Wayne Fennell? Talks a good talk; I was at Carlow Chamber of Commerce gig in Seven Oaks recently and he spoke well but I think he's yesterdays man; I know he struggled to find someone to nominate & second him; I know his wife had to fulfil one of those roles belatedly as someone he was angling at to do it told him subtly to do one; you don't approach a person and not know their name "Are you X? I'm looking for someone to nominate/second me...."

Tom O'Neill?

Ruling out the political & social experiment that is Bernard Jennings though I will be curious to see how he polls and ultimately what his angle is/was.

Also ruling out Aontú Mary Hande; Knockbeg & all as she is, I don't see her picking up enough votes to last beyond 2nd Count.

Ciaran Dooley will benefit from JCs transfers and vice versa; can't see anywhere else he might gain from but he could get 6th.

Which leaves Ms. Wallace & Kevin Byrne for 7th; Kevin has Labour which aren't as strong locally and were obliterated in 2014 and I can't see it changing but it is important for the party to have a town candidate.

Hoping I'm wrong on Murnane & Dalton in which case Fintan, John, Fergal, Ciaran Dooley, Adrienne Wallace, Kevin Byrne and then Tom & Wayne would figure.....I think FF a chance of losing 1 or 2 of their seats; Murnane's only in on back of sister & by the photos on her page canvassing seems like a nuisance to him; Cllr. Dalton I just find so phucking vacuous & inept!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Tom O'Neill should do well in my opinion. I'd also like to see Fintan do well. That's coming from a guy in his early 30's who feels like they are clued in to modern issues. Regarding the European elections, I must say I've never seen any of the candidates up until a few weeks ago, and anyone who only comes out of the woodwork around election time won't be getting my vote. Should be an interesting count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

FF and FG are going to get at least 2 each, Cassin and Sinn Fein will split their vote and it will be interesting to see how that works out. Cassin might struggle if SF control their vote well. Cassin has had few posters and he's the only candidate who have not canvassed or leafletted my street.

remaining 3 will come down to transfers. It will be interesting to see how Aontu do and if that will also split the SF vote further and if it will pick up the older conservative votes that would have traditionally gone to the likes of JMOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Considering Fergal Browne got elected with only 544 votes after 15 counts the last time, anything culd happen at the tail end.

Given the run-down state of the town, rightly or wrongly, I'll be voting only for candidates that have never had an opportunity before. If any town in Ireland needs fresh blood, it's Carlow. I'm only voting 1 to 3

Voting done. 1-3 @ the locals; 1-6 in Europeans & Yes to Divorce Ref. (though think it should've been 2 Ballot Papers since 2 Question being asked).

4 Booths per room; always fascinated to eavesdrop on the polling officers; discretion clearly isn't part of their training.....one of 'em mentioned some fella calling for New Oak Estate bingo or lotto and she decided after a number of years not to participate; something to do with a grass patch or bit of a pitch or green area being segued to the Fairgreen Shopping Centre.

Oh and one was a 1st time voter as it had to be explained to them what to do once they'd voted and to be reminded to tick X in Yes or No as opposed to a Yes Tick in Yes or X in No.

Neither seemed to recognise anyone on ballot paper "other than that one from McGamhna Rd." as one of them lives there apparently.

224 1PVs for Bernard Jennings as per KCLR within last half hour........for an inactive & 1st time candidate that's quite impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I voted in SLOTs yesterday morning around 8am and there was a woman in front of me who had very little English and it had to be explained to her a number of times who to vote which was fair enough if she never voted in Ireland before. Then she went behind the voting screen and got took out her phone and spoke to a "Jennifer" loudly saying I don't see you "Jennifer" what do I do? Then a man came behind the screen and took the phone and asked who would you like her to vote for. The dirty looks myself and others gave the polling staff who just sat there and did nothing said a lot about how voting in this Country is handled by those in charge. I know myself and others are probably just as bad for actually not saying anything but it is a mad that the staff being paid turned a blind eye to this. Maybe I'm wrong and it is allowed I just found it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are results due tonight?

Adrienne Wallace vs Wayne Fennell appears to be an intriguing dog fight for the last seat in Carlow! Good few left wingers to be eliminated so you’d reckon she might just scrape it?

Adrienne Wallace vs Wayne Fennell appears to be an intriguing dog fight for the last seat in Carlow! Good few left wingers to be eliminated so you’d reckon she might just scrape it?

She could easily take votes from Kevin Byrne (135 & rock bottom; Ber Jennings beat him with 235.....) & John Cassin & Ciaran Dooley in terms of transfers to put her over the line.

Doesn't matter what number seat it is in which LEA; once you're in everyone's equal.

Just back from count myself; doors back open 10am for counting.

1st 4 in Carlow town were Fintan Phelan, Andrea Dalton, Fergal Browne & Ken Murnane.

There's tea & hang sangwitches or coffee & salad ones on offer....for a few quid obviously.

Meeja're there; KCLR Live've 2-3 & Carlow Live've 1 & Nationalist've 3 (despite doing fock all til this week when they did pen pics; I wouldn't call what they did predictions by a long shot; the FF reporter sat so hard on that fence she's still pulling splinters out...).

1st Holy Communion tomorrow in Askea too and the amount of cars there all day today up til about half 12 it'll be mayhem for a couple of hours in morning!

Appears to be ALL Council Staff (I could name some & recognise others from various council services such as library & museum & front desk etc.) doing the counting....

Three TV screens on the go with results as they get uploaded.

Great, if tiring craic; one other thing is standing round watching the counters is a bit like a mart where you're scared to raise the paw in case it's perceived as a bid.

Maybe that's the way to conduct elections; get 'em all in the ring & parade 'em round...?

One thing to add to the Murnane thing above.....(Please PM me if you're willing to go on record over this in some capacity; your name'll have to be verified but it can remain anonymous upon publication)

Spoke to a candidate tonight who reckons they lost out on 30 1PVs & that another 30 were lost in 1stPVs for a FF Cllr.

Now the candidate was not a Cllr.; I can't reveal their party (11're Party, 1's Ind./NP).

Now apparently they spoke to a Rohingyan Muslim crowd; would imagine it'd've to be in St. Catherines and that they all promised to give them No.1 Votes; it had to be explained to them to give Cllr. Dalton 1 & Candidate X 2 or Candidate X 1 & Cllr. Dalton 2.

Rocked up today & 60 Spoilt Votes were all Cllr. Dalton 1 & Candidate X 1 on same paper.......guessing the PR-STV message didn't get through to these individuals who're here 10 years and would, presumably, at some stage, been taught how to vote?

Also quite what the duck Candidate X of Party X was doing colluding with Cllr. Dalton, a rival and of a different party is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jennings came second last.

Still puzzled over what he was up to. Got some publicity and attention out of it I suppose.

Advertisement