Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

To me, none of the hotels in Carlow have really nailed it. I refuse to go to the Clink because of what they did to create their "car-park" across the road. Shameful. Talbot is fine and their food is probably the best but I find the whole place a bit soulless. Seven Oaks is great for an event or to take an older generation to and I've always found the staff friendly and helping but it's too dark and don't get me started on that vending machine in the corner of the bar. As for the Dolmen, I was at an event there last year, probably they worst meal I've had in years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

To me, none of the hotels in Carlow have really nailed it. I refuse to go to the Clink because of what they did to create their "car-park" across the road. Shameful. Talbot is fine and their food is probably the best but I find the whole place a bit soulless. Seven Oaks is great for an event or to take an older generation to and I've always found the staff friendly and helping but it's too dark and don't get me started on that vending machine in the corner of the bar. As for the Dolmen, I was at an event there last year, probably they worst meal I've had in years

Yes.

Look it whatever which way you like, whats the draw for a couple to come to Carlow for a getaway? First place you start is a nice hotel with a spa, does not exist.

I make the comparison with Athlone again as it has The Sheraton and Radisson in the town centre.

This lack of amenities would most certainly be a deciding factor in companies setting up in the town, nowhere decent for travelling executives to stay.

Let me be clear, Carlow is not a bad town. The people are lovely and there is a sense of community, in comparison I don’t like Portlaoise town. Carlow is just empty, boring, no vision or planning, no shopping centre, no decent hotel. Sorry to upset local people that feel the need to defend their patch but I think my comments are factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

My LED TV has gone dark on one side suspect it’s an LED strip burned out, anyone have any suggestions where to bring it for repair other than the guy on upper Tullow St?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

My LED TV has gone dark on one side suspect it’s an LED strip burned out, anyone have any suggestions where to bring it for repair other than the guy on upper Tullow St?

Was gonna suggest him & him only; has never failed me.

Have a bad experience with him?

Think there's a place where Farm 2 Fork is that fixes TV screens.

Alternatively would Ml. Doran or Art O'Connor (?) in Leighlinbridge do it?

Pat (sp?) Shannon; used be down by where Ray Whelans was is good too; did a TV for me good while back.

With 'Spoons opening on Wednesday the 1st of May, some of you might know one of the employees perhaps? Think there's to be 40+?

Anyway Glassdoor's always a great place for employee reviews; first page towards bottom indicates 6am Start for shift managers.....can't see why if don't open til 10:30am or what'm I missing there?

Some're recent, some older > https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/J-D-Wetherspoon-Reviews-E10905.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyway Glassdoor's always a great place for employee reviews; first page towards bottom indicates 6am Start for shift managers.....can't see why if don't open til 10:30am or what'm I missing there?

You don't just walk in to a place of hospitality with the customers or any store tbh and begin to set up seats take in deliveries etc then. Much the same as you'll be there long after they've left clearing the place up and preparing for cleaners or floor staff will be doing the cleaning.

Also a lot of places only allow early truck deliveries a lot of places I've worked at in Dublin would be open and taking deliveries from 6 if not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

There's 4 other pubs up for sale in Carlow Town, 3 here in Bagtown alone and maybe another dozen around the county.
    At least this pub is replacing an old one, although it will probably meet the same fate as Buzz's.

I suspect the law-de-daw's of Carlow will hitch up to this Weatherspoons when it opens but slink back to their usual haunts after a few weekends in it. (I heard a woman in Carlow named her daughter 'Prosecco Rose')

It's hard to compete with a 20 can slab of cheap supermarket booze for the price of a night out.

Have a good weekend my fellow Carlovians.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

HenryWoods wrote: »
    . (I heard a woman in Carlow named her daughter 'Prosecco Rose')

ns.
    Is that what she was drinking when she conceived .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great food in The Clink. Cocktails are nice as well.

Have to try it. It's so out of the way I never think to go to the opposite end of Dublin st for food!

Nah they don't really. Average three star types at best. The 7 Oaks I find shocking for this day and age and it's carvery is pricier than eleswhere for no good reason. The Talbot is a decent hotel but certainly not a knockout or in any way wow factor.
    The Dolmen is good for Country and Western nights, little else. The Bagnel and Mount Wolseley are better than anything in the town I think.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Look it whatever which way you like, whats the draw for a couple to come to Carlow for a getaway? First place you start is a nice hotel with a spa, does not exist.

I make the comparison with Athlone again as it has The Sheraton and Radisson in the town centre.

This lack of amenities would most certainly be a deciding factor in companies setting up in the town, nowhere decent for travelling executives to stay.

Let me be clear, Carlow is not a bad town. The people are lovely and there is a sense of community, in comparison I don’t like Portlaoise town. Carlow is just empty, boring, no vision or planning, no shopping centre, no decent hotel. Sorry to upset local people that feel the need to defend their patch but I think my comments are factual.

Carlow town has an image problem and is perceived as a lot worse than it actually is. Plus very little attempt to develop a tourism product locally.
    As regional towns go it's not unique in either regard though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Looking for recommendations to put in a wet room, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    With 'Spoons opening on Wednesday the 1st of May, some of you might know one of the employees perhaps? Think there's to be 40+?

Some're recent, some older > https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/J-D-Wetherspoon-Reviews-E10905.htm

Famous for their breakfast in the UK and would be open earlier in some places

Famous for their breakfast in the UK and would be open earlier in some places

In that particular case I hope they bring that aspect of their business to Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

bye bye morresseys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yea, I heard that. Decent spot but never busy.

I see Tullys bought shoezone next door. I think they're going to extend their smoking area at the back, and rent the shop part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Looking for recommendations to put in a wet room, please.

O&O construction are very good Keith is the owner. Ger Brennan is a very good builder. Mick Nolen would be very tidy also. I would see alot of there work and would recommend them all. Get loads of quotation if you need numbers pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Yea, I heard that. Decent spot but never busy.

I see Tullys bought shoezone next door. I think they're going to extend their smoking area at the back, and rent the shop part.

i went for a pizza and a beer the other night and then the taxi driver told me I wasnt getting any of that in Morrissey’s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

I don't go out much but Morriseys was my place to go in recent years. Sad to see it go/gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

Does anyone know does CEX inthe Fairgreen clean dvds, need a few scratches removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

It's so wonderful to see hard working people rewarded for their patience with a forever home in Sleaty Park View.

Only kidding, i drove past at 5pm today and two of them were standing at their doors in pyjamas :rolleyes:

It's so wonderful to see hard working people rewarded for their patience with a forever home in Sleaty Park View.

Only kidding, i drove past at 5pm today and two of them were standing at their doors in pyjamas :rolleyes:

Dang; I only saw one chung wan; some class of a red/black dressing gown & pyjamas.

That time of day too like; no fricking shame at all; this wasn't an illness issue or she'd've been inside surely!?

This is laziness.

Who'll do maintenance on common areas? Council.......

Instead of coming to an agreement that all adult residents put a few quid into a monthly pot of 5 or 10 pound a week (not a lot to ask for) since they're already getting these houses for small money.

And if they're anti-social to neighbours? It'll freeze over in hell before a court grants permission to council to evict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RedsBlacklist

A little help if anyone can, Would anyone be able to recommend someone that is decent and reasonable at groundwork to lay a concrete driveway?

Regards, Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A little help if anyone can, Would anyone be able to recommend someone that is decent and reasonable at groundwork to lay a concrete driveway?

Regards, Red.

This won't be helpful sorry.

I was looking to put down a drive a few months ago and had to leave it in the end.

A couple of cowboy companies I didn't trust.

I then I tried a couple of builders who said they were to busy at the moment! which they probably are however I also took as it the job was too small for them at them and not worth their time.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Regards, Red.

A business called Hardscapes on the back road from Bagenalstown to Carlow. I bought paving slabs from him a few years back, seemed decent. He does drives, could be worth a phone call.

madmaggie wrote: »
    A business called Hardscapes on the back road from Bagenalstown to Carlow. I bought paving slabs from him a few years back, seemed decent. He does drives, could be worth a phone call.

Thank you I will check them out.

Regards, Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

A friend had some fencing and gravel driveway work done by Connor Gardens and they were very happy with them so maybe ask if they can do a concrete one for you - https://www.facebook.com/Connorgardens/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

I'm in Carlow Town right now. Between Moldova and Polonez.

tommycahir wrote: »
    A friend had some fencing and gravel driveway work done by Connor Gardens and they were very happy with them so maybe ask if they can do a concrete one for you -

Thank you I will check them out.

It seems that getting concrete driveway down is very hard in Carlow unless you use those cowboys that travel.

Regards, Red.

• Advertisement

How does one post an image up here?

Advertisement