Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freemasons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

robroy1234 wrote: »
    freemasonry the wearing of pristine white gloves is to signify that hands that may be unclean or unwashed, and that the Holy Bible in the lodge cannot be touched by some unclean/unwashed hands.

Holy Bible you say? Why would this be present in a Masonic Lodge? If Masons believe in the concept of God/Creator. Wouldn't the presence of a Bible prove discriminatory and contradictory to non-christian members?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

A money making group.
    Holy Bible you say? Why would this be present in a Masonic Lodge? If Masons believe in the concept of God/Creator. Wouldn't the presence of a Bible prove discriminatory and contradictory to non-christian members?

The book can be any sacred volume, it can be the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, or the first edition of spiderman if thats what you believe.

In lodges where most of the members are Christian, then its a Bible, but if a Jewish person were taking an oath, it would be the Talmud. Its not discriminatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭33

A group to make contacts.
    I voted satanic cult, because it is, the bottom initiates dont understand this if they beleve it's not, some entered apprentices do not understand the point of the pyramid, the sybol alone of the grand lodge of ireland is 2 hooved angels, good and evil exist, evil is the deciever, and not knowing it actually exists or refusing to believe or understand is part of the problem and not the solution.

ireland_NewLogo_web.gif
    http://www.irish-freemasons.org/

Here are some pdf's:
    you'll need this first:
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/444047/162956.pdf

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/444047/162957.pdf

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/444047/162958.pdf

This organisation is a force of evil even if all members dont realise it, the symbolism in the hooved angels is that they are covering the Ark of the Covenant, in other words they know where it is and are guarding the secret, because if it exists as they all believe it does it will be the one thing that destroys them, and no I havent seen raiders and harrison ford.

http://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/ark-of-the-covenant.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

A money making group.
    nullzero wrote: »
    Mason's claim that they can be traced to the building of the Temple of Soloman, something which would make masonic traditions older than those of Chritianity.
    Modern masononic traditions are easily traced to the Stone mason guilds of medievil Europe, which if you were to take as a starting point for masonry would support what you're saying.

Actually most Masons would claim that Freemasonry descends from the medievil stone masons guilds, and some writers have tried to show that Freemasonry can be traced back to the building of the Temple, or even bcak to the mystery cults of Egypt, but there's no substantive evidence for either claim, both are fairly romanticised in my opinion.

A money making group.
    33 wrote: »
    I voted satanic cult, because it is, the bottom initiates dont understand this if they beleve it's not, some entered apprentices do not understand the point of the pyramid, the sybol alone of the grand lodge of ireland is 2 hooved angels, good and evil exist, evil is the deciever, and not knowing it actually exists or refusing to believe or understand is part of the problem and not the solution.

This organisation is a force of evil even if all members dont realise it, the symbolism in the hooved angels is that they are covering the Ark of the Covenant, in other words they know where it is and are guarding the secret, because if it exists as they all believe it does it will be the one thing that destroys them, and no I havent seen raiders and harrison ford.
    That's just utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Absolam wrote: »
    That's just utter nonsense.

You should drag up the other freemasonry thread. To say its utter nonsense is utter nonsense. It's definitely a cult and highly likely a satanic one.

A money making group.
    squod wrote: »
    You should drag up the other freemasonry thread. To say its utter nonsense is utter nonsense. It's definitely a cult and highly likely a satanic one.
    Indeed, reading through the other threads on Boards alone would demonstrate just how nonsensical those statements are. Although as I recall, your own posts revolved more around your own beliefs than those of Freemasons.

Whether they are my beliefs or those of the freemasons is irrelevant to the truth.

A money making group.
    And the distinction between opinion and truth is reasonably significant.

Absolam wrote: »
    And the distinction between opinion and truth is reasonably significant.

That's a fact! Not getting into this again. Pretty much accused of bashing in the last thread only got involved as Yekahs was going to join. Another soul lost, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

A money making group.
    squod wrote: »
    That's a fact! Not getting into this again. Pretty much accused of bashing in the last thread only got involved as Yekahs was going to join. Another soul lost, so be it.

I did join, but I don't believe in souls, so mine is available to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I think they are a mixture off all the options:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Squod, It is heartening to know that you know perfectly well what we do in meetings, more so than ourselves. I thank you for pointing out that we are satanists even though I do go to mass regularly, and not once ever is any form of dubious religious activity goes on in the lodges.

Thanks for clearing that up. AFAIK I never said there was! Dig up the old thread if you want to hear what I said. It was a (mostly) simple conversation with another mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

A money making group.
    Out of sight, out of mind. It doesn't affect me for worse or better, at least not in any way im aware of. So i vote a great bunch of lads

Well looking at the options, there is only one that is applicable - a great bunch of lads.

I would however would love to be a puppet master and be able to pull such strings - at least so I can get a reduction on the mortgage.
    Money making group - I will still do the lottery each week.
    Satanic group - don't really understand or know enough about satanism to judge what satanism really is, but being a catholic I would venture to state that that one is a non-starter.
    Puppet - I choose to be Captain Scarlet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I voted "a group to make contacts". That should be "a group of men to make contacts" because they don't allow women to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Of course they don't Emme, it's a fraternity. Same way I can't join the Irish Countrywomen's Association, or the local women's golf team.

Contact with whom?....I can't even get my wife to wear the short dresses and skirts that she use to wear (she has one hell of a great body and legs), let alone get Calorgas to deliver on time..

I am however glad that noone has yet challenged me on the Captain Scarlet.....those blasted mysterons....

A money making group.
    I've made loads of contacts; none of them of useful in any sort of business way:rolleyes: but I've met a ton of guys I'd never have met otherwise from all sorts of backgrounds and walks of life. That for me is the essence of Freemasonry.. a fraternity of interesting and downright nice people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Of course they don't Emme, it's a fraternity. Same way I can't join the Irish Countrywomen's Association, or the local women's golf team.

OK, off to join the Irish Countrywomen's Association - they have nicer aprons than the Freemasons anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Group to make contacts.
    with the devil :eek:

Studiorat - contact with the devil - Louis Walsh is not a member....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Out of sight, out of mind. It doesn't affect me for worse or better, at least not in any way im aware of. So i vote a great bunch of lads

I think the bold part is people's concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Just as a quick note to those posters who claim to be members (I'm assuming you are really freemasons, but on the net people can say anything to make a point)...
    Nobody in their right mind believes that all levels of Freemasonry is "satanic".
    Freemasonry is a provably compartmentalised organisation, something which means higher level initiates will know more than those below them, which would leave room for the possibility of immoral behaviour in the higher ranks.

Instead of saying Freemasonry is Satanic, it might be mroe accurate to say that; "Freemasonry is a compartmentalised organisation, about which there have been repeated claims of highly immoral behaviour at it's highest levels rather that at the lower levels."

If the Freemasons present wouldn't mind it would be interesting to know what level you are at in the organisation.
    I would be surprised if anyone here was a provably high ranking Mason, the type of Masons that are of interest to the CT community. I don't think even the most ardent CTer would accuse the lower level Masons of being in anything other than benign in their intentions or actions.

Well, how many times have people such as yourself has referred to me as a lower level, ignorant and that the higher levels do all sorts of things that are beyond us. I suppose that a club GAA player would be considered the same to an Intercounty player.
    There isn't a difference between any of the additional areas of masonry, and there is nothing higher in terms of degree for a mason than a third degree master mason. The Royal Arch, Knight Mason, Prince Mason, Great Priory and 33 supreme council are the expansion of certain areas in the craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Question to freemasons,

1. Isn't free masonry incompatible with Christianity?
    2. When you pass away will you have a freemason type funeral? (Probably not allowed in a christian church)
    3. How do you join?

not at incompatiable. I am not sure about the waltzing part - personally I dance like a frog in a blender or a caveman stomping on mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

robroy1234 wrote: »
    Well, how many times have people such as yourself has referred to me as a lower level, ignorant and that the higher levels do all sorts of things that are beyond us. I suppose that a club GAA player would be considered the same to an Intercounty player.
    There isn't a difference between any of the additional areas of masonry, and there is nothing higher in terms of degree for a mason than a third degree master mason. The Royal Arch, Knight Mason, Prince Mason, Great Priory and 33 supreme council are the expansion of certain areas in the craft.

First off, I never said you were ignorant in any way.
    Freemasonry is a large organisation, there are different branches or rites if you will. I'm sure you're a lovely guy and you do good things in the Freemasons, I said there is a possibility that a compartmentalised organisation can have things going on at the top that the majority of members dont know about.
    If you're telling me that nothing bad ever happens in any Masonic order, then I'll respect you opinion but continue to have my own.

• Advertisement

A money making group.
    Nobody in their right mind believes that all levels of Freemasonry is "satanic".
    Freemasonry is a provably compartmentalised organisation, something which means higher level initiates will know more than those below them, which would leave room for the possibility of immoral behaviour in the higher ranks.
    As Robroy has pointed out, there aren't 'higher level initiates' in Freemasonry; that's very much an outside perception. There are three 'levels', and many appendant degrees; a 33rd degree Mason is no higher than a 3rd degree Mason. The organisation isn't compartmentalised, there are appendant bodies which work certain degrees; these are not progressive higher ranks, at the top of the Order there is the Grand Master who need only be a Master (3rd degree) Mason, yet he 'outranks' 33rd degree (or whatever) Masons.
    Instead of saying Freemasonry is Satanic, it might be mroe accurate to say that; "Freemasonry is a compartmentalised organisation, about which there have been repeated claims of highly immoral behaviour at it's highest levels rather that at the lower levels."
    It would be more accurate to say "Freemasonry is a not a compartmentalised organisation, but contains discrete bodies, much as the GAA emcompasses football, hurling, and camogie. Claims of immoral behaviour have been levelled at members in all areas of the order, just as in most other organisations, but a primary tenet of the organisation itself is the inculcation of proper moral behaviour in its' members."
    If the Freemasons present wouldn't mind it would be interesting to know what level you are at in the organisation.
    I would be surprised if anyone here was a provably high ranking Mason, the type of Masons that are of interest to the CT community. I don't think even the most ardent CTer would accuse the lower level Masons of being in anything other than benign in their intentions or actions.
    I myself am a Master Mason, and have taken a large number of appendant degrees. So I suppose I'd be pretty close to what CTers think of as a high ranking Mason.
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Question to freemasons,
    1. Isn't free masonry incompatible with Christianity?
    2. When you pass away will you have a freemason type funeral? (Probably not allowed in a christian church)
    3. How do you join?
    1) The Roman Catholic Church says that Freemasonry is incompatible with Christianity; obviously Christian Freemasons disagree.
    2) Personally I like the idea of a Masonic funeral, but the Catholic Church does not permit them, nor do some of the Protestant Churches. That said, they're not very different from ordinary funerals for Christians... I've no idea about other religions.
    3) Ask... or be asked. You could simply go down to your local Masonic Hall and express your interest, or attend a Masonic charity event and talk to some of the members, or maybe you have a friend or relative who's a member and would like you to join.

Advertisement