Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Eagle (Clothing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Charlie wrote: »
    Usually around 7 days.

$50, which is a bit steep. But depending on what you are buying, and the promo code you use, it can still be well worth it.

Order placed. Fingers crossed the lads in customs don't sting it.

is it $50 flat rate? so you could buy loads of stuff and it's still 50 bucks?
    i emailed AE about three weeks ago regarding this and they never got back to me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

is it $50 flat rate? so you could buy loads of stuff and it's still 50 bucks?
    i emailed AE about three weeks ago regarding this and they never got back to me :(

As far as I remember, yeah. I ordered about 6/7 items in one go before, it came in two seperate shipments due to stock levels (take that Mr. taxman :D) and it was still $50. Just ordered 7 items and I'm hoping for some sort of similar luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes, $50 flat rate (thus encouraging large orders!). I typically would buy around ten items at a time.

Before the flat rate, I think it was something like $20 for orders under $100, $30 for orders between $100-$150, $40 for orders between $150-$200 and $50 for all orders over $200.

About a year ago, they made it $50 for all orders which is annoying to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

dotsman wrote: »
    Yes, $50 flat rate (thus encouraging large orders!). I typically would buy around ten items at a time.

Before the flat rate, I think it was something like $20 for orders under $100, $30 for orders between $100-$150, $40 for orders between $150-$200 and $50 for all orders over $200.

About a year ago, they made it $50 for all orders which is annoying to say the least.

any idea what the delivery charge from Abercrombie would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

johnn wrote: »
    any idea what the delivery charge from Abercrombie would be?

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Customs have my package(s) now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Mc Love wrote: »
    Customs have my package(s) now :(

Boo-urns, they'll prob nab mine too...

Am I right in assuming the customs duty on a ~$200 order would only be about $40 (~€30)? I am aware it is calculated on the item value pre-discount (...which is an absolute scam; How do you quantify the "real" value of the products given the fact that "discounts" are usually a trick to bring them closer to their real value?).

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

I have the name of a guy in the US who operates a forwarding service.

Have used him numerous times for American Eagle, Abercrombie, and getting my iPad.

Great thing is that AE usually offer free shipping so I get it shipped to him, he takes off all the tag and receipts and forwards the stuff on for me for less than the $50 AE charge, with no chance of being stung by customs.

If anyone wants his details pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

Charlie wrote: »

hahaha!

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I have the name of a guy in the US who operates a forwarding service.

Have used him numerous times for American Eagle, Abercrombie, and getting my iPad.

Great thing is that AE usually offer free shipping so I get it shipped to him, he takes off all the tag and receipts and forwards the stuff on for me for less than the $50 AE charge, with no chance of being stung by customs.

If anyone wants his details pm me.

I should have done this (have friends in Boston) doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

20% off until Dec 3rd: Discount number 29709012

Buy one sweater/hoodie, get 50% of another.

Also, have ordered stuff on the 29th, but 3 days later my order tracking on ae.com still says 'Processing'....is this normal?! Oh and, when there is Customs charged, do you pay the postman there and then in cash/laser/what?!

hada wrote: »

Also, have ordered stuff on the 29th, but 3 days later my order tracking on ae.com still says 'Processing'....is this normal?! Oh and, when there is Customs charged, do you pay the postman there and then in cash/laser/what?!

I have stuff ordered from last week and customs still have it since Sunday! Anyone know how long they take?

Never paid customs before so maybe they are gonna rape me with charges now! :(:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

About 3 days in customs would be my experience of it. Then you should get in 2 days after leaving port laoise. That may be a bit delayed with the current weather

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mckildare

hada wrote: »

Nice one, was looking at this only at the weekend. Last time customs got me, I paid at the door in cash

Question about sending it via a friend, do customs catch it then? Should the friend mark it as gift or something? Thanks ;)

Think it okay if you mark as a gift

Still in customs :(

mckildare wrote: »
    Nice one, was looking at this only at the weekend. Last time customs got me, I paid at the door in cash

Question about sending it via a friend, do customs catch it then? Should the friend mark it as gift or something? Thanks ;)

Get him to remove tags, and mark package as second hand clothing with a low gift value.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Do you have to pay tax etc...at the door?or can u pay it later on?

Do you have to pay tax etc...at the door?or can u pay it later on?

You can pay later on put you wont get your clothes till you pay.

One of the real pain in the ass things about an post is that you have to have the exact amount in cash for them when they call do the door looking for the import tax and VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

You can pay later on put you wont get your clothes till you pay.

One of the real pain in the ass things about an post is that you have to have the exact amount in cash for them when they call do the door looking for the import tax and VAT.

Really?! jesus.....ordered some gear off hollister and i didnt have to pay them until a few weeks later...is this just an American Eagle thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

Some of the delivery carriers pay it on your behalf and then invoice you. The kindness of the ****ers.

Hollister and Fedex being one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mckildare

Think it okay if you mark as a gift
    Get him to remove tags, and mark package as second hand clothing with a low gift value.

Cool thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Gifts still have to pay tax if over €45/€55, cant remember which one it is

Its looking like I might get my order Mon or Tues as it has been released from Customs today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Its looking like I might get my order Mon or Tues as it has been released from Customs today

Can I ask how you are tracking yours?

When I am loggin in to my AE account, it says my order has shipped, but only number I can see is an Order number and not a tracking number?

It should give you a link on your order form or else it says track your order. That should bring you to the ae website and there should be a tracking number displayed. Either use it on the USPS website: http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm or An Post: http://track.anpost.ie/track.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Hi all,

I placed a largeish order on ae.com Thursday night, it still is marked as "processing", but I'm not too concerned about that as yet.

Just wondering on average what is the average time for the order to be dispatched from time of order in peoples experiences here?

Theres four hoodies (I ordered 10 items to make it worth my while ;)) and I'm sure because of the bulk I'm going to get stung for customs so I'm just wondering what I can expect to pay.

The order cost was $208 (€160 ish) but if they charge on full value it could be something like ($330 + 13%) @ 21% VAT + 13%?

So probably somewhere around the €80 mark?

I wouldn't be too annoyed if it was less than that, still good enough value.

Also thanks for the codes everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 geraldine_k

I ordered from AE two weeks ago and got thru no problem, i got the delivery within one week. I ordered againfor the thanksgiving sale on the 25th but have not received anything.

Just a quick question is it the tracking number the number beginning with EE ending with US?
    I can see the parcel left the states on the 29th and the number does not work on the tracking facility on the An Post website. Are the parcels definitely handed over the An Post or is it another delivery company?
    On the US UPS site its expected delivery date was the 30th Nov...do you think it is stuck with customs?

Sorry for all the questions!! :)

Just a quick question is it the tracking number the number beginning with EE ending with US?

Thats it

I can see the parcel left the states on the 29th and the number does not work on the tracking facility on the An Post website. Are the parcels definitely handed over the An Post or is it another delivery company?

Its not here yet, so you wont see it on anPost website just yet. Try monday afternoon and it could be in customs. And yes its anpost that deliver it. It wont be your postman, it will be a courier most likely in a plane white van

PaulKK wrote: »
    Just wondering on average what is the average time for the order to be dispatched from time of order in peoples experiences here?

Within a week i would say.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Theres four hoodies (I ordered 10 items to make it worth my while ;)) and I'm sure because of the bulk I'm going to get stung for customs so I'm just wondering what I can expect to pay.

The order cost was $208 (€160 ish) but if they charge on full value it could be something like ($330 + 13%) @ 21% VAT + 13%?

So probably somewhere around the €80 mark?

My last order was $280 and I paid €40. €6 of that was An Post admin charge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For those calculating VAT/duty don't forget that the cost of the postage is liable for it too, not just the value of the actual order.
    So in calculations, take the value of the clothes + cost of delviery then add 23-25% (VAT/duty/handling fee)

I like AE's stuff, but their policy to move to flat rate delivery coupled with the ridiculous addition of VAT/duty to a service sourced and provided OUTSIDE the EU means I just don't bother buying from them anymore. Pity because the fit of their jeans is excellent as is the general quality of their gear.

Advertisement