Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Detective - Google is not always your friend :p, but at least you have found a reasonable explanation for your spotting. I hope your scan goes well tomorrow, come back and tell us all about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spingler

df thank you so much for your reply, it really helps.. im not sure how it will be seen if i take another colleague in with me, its a staff team of 5 and im sure none of them want to get involved...thank you for your offer of pm, its very kind of you. The very best of luck for tomorrow :D

neyite you are so right, df advice is brilliant and i really appreciate your advice to. my line manager is not supportive at all and i guess it makes it more of a struggle. i think what df said about being upfront and honest is the only way to go. i will let you all know how it goes... i could be blabbing on here again before it. But im so glad ye got back to me.. ye are so good x. thanks gals x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

hey there, just to add, unless your ttc endeavours are the cause of the stress I see no need to mention that in the meeting. Many people (men and women) don't understand the pressure of ttc, so you may get less sympathy for that, whereas if you talk about your family issues your manager will be better able to relate to them, that's just my opinion. I told some of my management in work about ttc and regretted it, but I know all companies are different. My (female) manager is the archetypal 'career woman' - no kids, and no sympathy for the woes of pregnancy/parenting. I regret telling her about ttc. She feigns interest and I feel she has written me off a bit (even though I've put in a valuable period of 13 years to date into the company). I don't get stressed out about it though, f$ck her and her issues, I know I'm great at my job....! I am leaving it as late as possible before I announce my pregnancy to management, and if I could do it over I wouldn't have told them I was ttc.
    I see what you're saying about bringing another colleague in with you. I was sort of thinking that if you had a close friend in work you could ask for their support at the meeting. You know best, and if it's better to go to the meeting alone then do that, especially with the size of the team. In my department there's 600 staff and in my little unit alone there are 90, so the set-up isn't really comparable to yours.

GL with the meeting and keep us posted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

galah wrote: »
    @ Lucyfur: That makes two of us ;-)

Hi

Make that 4
    I have only posted once on this forum a few weeks ago, but I had been following everyones stories prior to that. It seems St. Patricks week is proving lucky - fingers crossed for everyone! All the best

Congratulations to ye both ladies!!!! I'm absolutely delighted to see all this good news, wow talk about a baby boom, we're having our own little one on this thread :D
    So fantastic to see the TTC forum getting good news like this!

Wishing you all very happy & healthy pregnancies xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Spingler, excellent advice already given to you. I think if it is a very male dominated workplace then it may be better off not telling them you're TTC.
    Would there be an option for you to work a 3 day week in your job even for the short term?

I'm doing that at the moment (albeit not by choice) & its working out great, its really noticeable how much my stress levels have dropped.

I hope all goes well & try not to be nervous about the meeting, its most likely just company policy that they have to follow up due to the duration of your recent absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Detective,
    Just wanted to let you know that I had an early scan at 7 weeks 2 days and we were able to see the heart beat....just a little white flicker on the screen!! It was such a relief. The sonographer said that he would just do the normal scan as I was slim and would have a chance of seeing the heart beat that way, if not it would have to be an internal. Luckily I didn't need the internal! Best of luck.

Detective,
    Just wanted to let you know that I had an early scan at 7 weeks 2 days and we were able to see the heart beat....just a little white flicker on the screen!! It was such a relief. The sonographer said that he would just do the normal scan as I was slim and would have a chance of seeing the heart beat that way, if not it would have to be an internal. Luckily I didn't need the internal! Best of luck.

oh thanks Sheebs, that's good to hear. I'm slim enough too so hopefully we'll see it ok. I also will be 7+2 for the scan tomorrow. I asked them will it be a transvaginal scan and they said no it will be abdominal.
    tell me, do you see much else or is it merely a blob and a flicker? I googled sono pics @ 7 weeks and they're quite blobbish, lol. I only really care about the heartbeat at this stage but just curious as to what else one may see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

oh thanks Sheebs, that's good to hear. I'm slim enough too so hopefully we'll see it ok. I also will be 7+2 for the scan tomorrow. I asked them will it be a transvaginal scan and they said no it will be abdominal.
    tell me, do you see much else or is it merely a blob and a flicker? I googled sono pics @ 7 weeks and they're quite blobbish, lol. I only really care about the heartbeat at this stage but just curious as to what else one may see.....

You'll see alot of fuzzy area, and then a dark black blob which is the amniotic fluid, and somewhere in that black blob you will see your little bean and please god a little flicker. They will probably check your ovaries and tubes too just to make sure that there isn't a second little bean somewhere that it shouldn't be.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

Huge congrats to all of the newly pregnant ladies! Really happy that there is some good news on this forum! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

DFT- I know I won't have time to log on in the morning, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, hope everything is perfect for you x

• Advertisement

Lucyfur wrote: »
    DFT- I know I won't have time to log on in the morning, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, hope everything is perfect for you x

aw thanks hon. Keep everything crossed for me! ;)

aw thanks hon. Keep everything crossed for me! ;)

Will do chicken, let us know how it goes x

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Wow! Iv only been away for a few days and I come back to all these great big Positives! Congrats to you all! :D

It helps me to be positive too for April when I start my 1st round of Clomid Yipppeeeee!:)

So happy for you all!!!

Heres to the rest of us too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

no problem at all, glad I could help. How fitting now that you are giving me pg advice, yay!

I really can't wait to get the scan done tomorrow, I know I'm going to be a nervous wreck and I KNOW there will be tears, hopefully of joy. I was led to believe by the hospital they they will deffo see (not hear) the heartbeat as it starts beating around Week 5 (initially I wanted to go in at Week 8 but they pushed for Week 7 and said they'd deffo see it, I hope they do).

I was on Rollercoaster a couple of times, but I still find FertilityFriend to be the best site ever re conception and pregnancy. On that site I've moved to the Pregnancy side but still keep in touch with my Trying to Conceive buddy group (of course they all got pg long ago and have had their babies but we all still chat in our buddy thread regularly!). There's even some Irish Mammies on the preggo board, and there's a whole forum dedicated to 'Ladies due in November 2011', 'First Baby', 'Babies in Your Thirties', 'Clomid Babies' and lots more - it's bloody great!

I really need to avoid information overload though, I read up on WAY too much stuff.
    Speaking of which (!) I learned of a new thing last night that I think I may have - it's called 'friable cervix', and it means that your cervix is prone to bleeding because of the extra volume of blood in your body, and because the palcenta can be close to the cervix and if it's engorged it could release a few spots of fresh blood. I genuinely think this is my issue so when I go to my GP next week for my H1N1 shot I'll mention it to her.
    Basically all my spotting has been brown. Yesterday it was no different, brown and dark. However, a few hours later, I had a strained bowel movement (sorry tmi!) as I've been getting constipation since I found out about being pg. An hour after that when I went to the loo again there was pinkisih/reddish spotting when I wiped (not blood). I was crying and going nuts thinking about miscarriage and was so confused that earlier on it was brown (signifying old blood) and now it was pink (signifying that it's fresh). How could I get the two in a mater of hours from each other. So I googled (thank god for Google) 'spotting after bowel movement in pregnancy' and hundreds of hits came up for 'friable cervix' and lots of people taking about it in forums and on medical sites. Basically the strained bowel movement puts strain on the engorged cervix and some spots of blood are released. You see it about an hour later as it can take time to travel down and out the vagina. Other irritations can cause this e.g. an internal exam from your doc and also sex. I now believe that the brown (harmless) spotting is uterine (as baby settles in and uterus expands), and reddish / pink is from the cervix. I've had no more since and it goes without saying that I am back on my constipation/stool softener meds that my GP recommended.
    Anyway, you learn something new everyday so just thought I'd share, sorry for all the tmi's! ;)

You can see a heartbeat from 7 weeks it's "just incase" it's hard to find. I hope todays scan goes well. Been thinking about you all morning. You're loggin name is very fitting "detective" - You are a wealth of information!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lizzie02v

I am new to this site. I recently suffered a miscarriage after 22 weeks. I am devastated as my baby meant everything to me. However I have accepted it and I really want to try again for a baby. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation anf if so how long did you wait? I am afraid of trying again and the same thing happening but I really want a family. There is talk about putting in the cerclage stich after first trimester. Did anyone get this done? How sore is it?

lizzie02v wrote: »
    I am new to this site. I recently suffered a miscarriage after 22 weeks. I am devastated as my baby meant everything to me. However I have accepted it and I really want to try again for a baby. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation anf if so how long did you wait? I am afraid of trying again and the same thing happening but I really want a family. There is talk about putting in the cerclage stich after first trimester. Did anyone get this done? How sore is it?

so sorry you went through that lizzie02v. I have no miscarriage experience but a few of the ladies on here do so they'll be able to offer support/advice. Just wanted to say hi and welcome ;)

How did you get on DFT?

Hi Lizzie,

I miscarried at 14 weeks and started trying again straight away. We became pregnant again on my 3rd cycle and the little lady is now nearly 15 months old. I'm really sorry for your loss. Miscarriage is a loss that only you will understand how truly devastating it is. The grieveing process is hard. But you will get through it with lots of support from your friends and family and by allowing yourself time to grieve for the child that you have lost. It will always be a part of you and even when you do have children and you're at your happiest, something will still remind you some days and you will feel sad and probably have a little cry!

As for the cerclage, I never had one, but I have looked after women who have had them (I'm a midwife) and I belive it can be uncomfortable going in, I suppose a little more uncomfortable than a smear test, but once its in you will not notice it.

Make sure you take care of yourself over the next while and just go with your emotions. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and allow yourself as much time as you need to heal physically and emotionally.

Detective - I assume everything went well today?

Saw the heartbeat clear as day!! I fell in love all over again! they don't measure the heartbeat until the later scan so don't know what the beats per minute is but she said she can tell it's perfect, not too fast and not too slow. By the way there is only one in there, for deffo!
    Yolk sack (4.3mm), gestational sac (8.6mm), embryo (crown to rump 6.3mm) tick!

Now there's a small thing. She said it's not an issue but it has me a bit anxious. The gestational sac is measuring 6w2d. By my last menstrual period I'm 7w2d but I know that to be ahead due to my late ovulation date, so in my mind I have been putting it at around 6w6d/7w0d. That's still 4/5 days differential though.. She said not to worry and it could be that the baby has yet to have a growth spurt, I've to go again in two weeks for a follow up scan, but in the meantime I've to change my due date to 12.11.11 booo!

Here's my question, if my dates are off, and I ovulated even later than I thought, would it have been possible to get a + home pregnancy test at (what I thought was) 11 days past ovulation? If so I would have only been 3w2d and potentially only 6/7DPO when I got the + :confused:. I didn't think it was possible to get a + that early, so the worry is my dates are correct and there is an issue with sac growth.:( CCLady, given your hospital experience do you have any opinion to offer (not looking for medical advice ;) )

I told her about the spotting. She didn't seem at all concerned because it's not red and there's no clots or cramping, so that's a relief.

Here is my gummy bear (OH christened it that name today as he thinks it looks like one and he swears he can see paddle arms and legs!)
    What do you think? The tiny white blob to the left inside the bigger black blob is our gummy bear. I hope s/he keeps growing.

7w1-1-2.jpg

Detective thats brilliant! Delighted for you x Love the heart on the scan pic :D

I wouldn't be worrying too much about the size of the sacs and wot not at this stage or reading too much into when you ovulated etc etc bla bla...

Just being a mm off with the measurements at this stage can put your dates out by a week, and as each midwife will measure differently, as this early stage I really wouldn't worry!

• Advertisement

Detective thats brilliant! Delighted for you x Love the heart on the scan pic :D

I wouldn't be worrying too much about the size of the sacs and wot not at this stage or reading too much into when you ovulated etc etc bla bla...

Just being a mm off with the measurements at this stage can put your dates out by a week, and as each midwife will measure differently, as this early stage I really wouldn't worry!

Oh that's reassuring to hear, thanks! Maybe the sac was tilted slightly and on the 2d scan it looked smaller that it actually is, that's OH's suggestion, but we are far from experts in this field. TTC - I know inside out, pregnancy - I am sooo in the dark! lol
    I will never forget that little flicker on the screen, can't wait to see it again in 2 weeks. <3

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Detective !!!! That is the nicest picture I have seen in a long long time !!

I am so happy your day went so well- I can only imagine the relief you felt once you saw your little bean beating and spoke to the experts.
    Congrats to you, Mr Foxtrot and little Gummy Bear.

You cant see me sitting here, but I'm all :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

aw thanks Neyite, am ecstatic myself!

Grinning like crazy:D:D:D so so so pleased for you DFT:D:D:D:D Even more please now crazy cat has given you more peace of mind:D

Been thinking about you all day. They are such cool pictures:D

lizzie02v wrote: »

Hi Lizzie02v.

Wanted to welcome you, and hope that you find the great support here that I did when I joined. I am TTC for 20 months now, never concieved. My issue is high prolactin caused by a pituary adenoma, and began treatment in November for it. My levels were normal last blood test, so hopefully it means I can get pregnant now.

I can only imagine how devestating it was to lose your baby, I am so sorry for your loss. There are other ladies here that have suffered in the same way, and I'm sure you will get to know them before long.

I dont know much about the stitch - is that where they stitch your cervix? I would imagine that they would give you pain relief if its going to be sore.

hey df, im so delighted for you, they are some of the nicest pics ive seen, you and your oh must be blown away and overwhelmed with joy.. amazing x its massive hope to all to see those pics, looking forward to more updates:D:D:D

im on day 13 now and have had red spotting the last two days even though my period finished last week, rang the clinic and they want me up for scan in the am. dont really know what is going on with my cycle:confused::confused::confused: feel like im on a ferris wheel going backwards:eek: didnt hear when my meeting is yet, so thats still up in the air. Well seeing dfs delightful and amazing post has really lifted the day for me. Roll on good luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

DFT Congrats :) your gummy bear looks amazing! Best of luck on te rest of the pregnancy hun :)

Congrats to all of the newly pregnant ladies too! Delighted for you all :) hopefully the rest of us will get our positives soon too!

I got my ovulation sticks in the post today (ordered them online from UK, much cheaper) I started using them today, I'm in day 15 of 32 so I'm expecting to ovulate on 17/18 & hopeing the tests will confirm we're trying on the right days! I watch for my body signs & for the sticky stuff (hopefully not too much info)
    This maybe a silly question but can you get the discharge without Ovulating? Some months I get loads and others I only get a little & was wondering if I should be worried about it? I'm on a waiting list to see a gyno so hopefully I'll get in there soon! Even more so I hope I get pregnant sooner!

Hopefully these ovulation sticks will show I'm ovulating :)

spingler wrote: »
    hey df, im so delighted for you, they are some of the nicest pics ive seen, you and your oh must be blown away and overwhelmed with joy.. amazing x its massive hope to all to see those pics, looking forward to more updates:D:D:D

im on day 13 now and have had red spotting the last two days even though my period finished last week, rang the clinic and they want me up for scan in the am. dont really know what is going on with my cycle:confused::confused::confused: feel like im on a ferris wheel going backwards:eek: didnt hear when my meeting is yet, so thats still up in the air. Well seeing dfs delightful and amazing post has really lifted the day for me. Roll on good luck:D

have sex! some people get mid-cycle spotting around ovulation time. Hope that's all it is and nothing serious.
    thanks for you're kind thoughts. If you need any more support coming up to your meeting please post.
    Tigeress wrote: »
    DFT Congrats :) your gummy bear looks amazing! Best of luck on te rest of the pregnancy hun :)

Congrats to all of the newly pregnant ladies too! Delighted for you all :) hopefully the rest of us will get our positives soon too!

I got my ovulation sticks in the post today (ordered them online from UK, much cheaper) I started using them today, I'm in day 15 of 32 so I'm expecting to ovulate on 17/18 & hopeing the tests will confirm we're trying on the right days! I watch for my body signs & for the sticky stuff (hopefully not too much info)
    This maybe a silly question but can you get the discharge without Ovulating? Some months I get loads and others I only get a little & was wondering if I should be worried about it? I'm on a waiting list to see a gyno so hopefully I'll get in there soon! Even more so I hope I get pregnant sooner!

Hopefully these ovulation sticks will show I'm ovulating :)

Thanks! Don't worry about your cervical mucous, it can vary month on month, even your diet can affect it. I personally had very scant cervical mucous. Remember you're not looking for sticky, you're looking for watery/slippery/raw egg white consistency. Sticky/crumby is non fertile ;)
    If you get months were it's non existent take a few spoons of Robitussin cough medicine each day leading up to ovulation (the plain Robitussin not the other one). Plain Robitussin acts by loosening mucous in your chest, however it has the same imapct on all fluids in the body, including your cervical mucous ;)
    Actually any cough medicine will work as long as it contains the active ingredient - Guaifenesin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks DFT :) im feeling really positive this month! It's kinda weird.. I was mad depressed last week cause I would have been due our baby that we lost :( but on thinking about it I know that baby just wasn't meant to be & that our time will come! I'm trying so hard to not stress out and be so consumed by wanting to get pregnant.. The ovulation sticks have given me a boost & I got a promotion in work last week so things are looking up :) we're doing every second day at the mo so as soon as I get the go ahead from the ovulation indicator we'll be going overboard :)

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    Thanks DFT :) im feeling really positive this month! It's kinda weird.. I was mad depressed last week cause I would have been due our baby that we lost :( but on thinking about it I know that baby just wasn't meant to be & that our time will come! I'm trying so hard to not stress out and be so consumed by wanting to get pregnant.. The ovulation sticks have given me a boost & I got a promotion in work last week so things are looking up :) we're doing every second day at the mo so as soon as I get the go ahead from the ovulation indicator we'll be going overboard :)

yay, good news all round! Sorry bout your due date - no doubt that's very difficult (((HUGS)))
    I was very depressed the cycle I got pregnant, had almost given up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement