Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

So I had my MRI on Friday, it was grand, a little overwhelming at first but then got used to it. They said the clinic should have the results mid this week, they didn't tell me anything.

Good luck with the results Hollywood! :D
    It's just typical you would get a funny bleed like that right when you don't want it. I'm sure it's nothing major. Let us know how you get on! :o

How did you get on with your results Hollywood? Any news?

I was sent for an MRI yesterday - was thinking of you. I had never had one before and it was not as easy as I'd thought it would be but it's done.
    The results are being sent to my consultant and they'll decide what to do next. I imagine it will be surgery to remove the cyst.

So they've said to avoid TTC until this is sorted. :( So strange going from really trying to not trying at all. Am really hoping we can get back on track soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

No news yet Dreamstar, rang them last Thursday & they didn't have the report done. Going to ring them again tomorrow. Hope they have something by then. It's a drag waiting.

I know, the MRI wasn't what I was expecting either, was glad to have it over with. We're the same, avoiding TTC incase the MRI is ok and they start treatment. My day 21 is on the 9th of July so hoping to get going then! Least something is happening Dreamstar, it seems things are happening quickly for you, you'll be back trying in no time and with much better chances once that cyst is gone. Good luck with your MRI results x

I know, the MRI wasn't what I was expecting either, was glad to have it over with. We're the same, avoiding TTC incase the MRI is ok and they start treatment. My day 21 is on the 9th of July so hoping to get going then! Least something is happening Dreamstar, it seems things are happening quickly for you, you'll be back trying in no time and with much better chances once that cyst is gone. Good luck with your MRI results x

Thanks Hollywood! That's so funny - my day 21 is 8th July! I was going to get my day 21 bloods done but not sure now if all of this will affect it. :(

Let us know how you get on - and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi ladies. I'm a bit out of step with what's going on but hope for positive results from all the scans for you guys.
    I was back using opks for the first time since I conceived dd so 1.5 years since I used one. Of course I had ordered a load and they were delivered just before I got pregnant, murphy's law. I thought I could just use them but then I spot a best before date on them 09/2013 cripes they were even out of date the last time I was using them! :-)
    I got very faint lines this week which isn't what used to happen 1.5 years ago - I used to always see a clear pattern of lines getting darker, reaching a peak and then fading again but this time it was hard to even see the line, I only saw it if I came back 1 hour later or so. Line is gone now and we did dtd so you never know. Didn't get ewcm though. Hmm I'll be wondering now whether I'm not getting a very strong LH surge or it it just the out of date opks so I better throw the whole lot of them in the bin and order new ones. TTC confusing enough without second guessing your opks!

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote:
    TTC confusing enough without secoknd guessing your opks!

So true! I find OPK's so confusing as is. I usually get the digital ones - couldn't get the hang of the lines!

So I received the MRI results and all was fine so now I don't have to go and see the Endocrinologist. I have to get my bloods done again to check the Prolactin levels and if they are ok now they will start me on treatment on my Day 21. Heading into the GP in a couple of minutes to get blood done, need to leave it to the lab myself. Wonder will the results be back by next Thursday.... that's my day 21

That's great news Hollywood. You must be delighted. I had bloods done a while back and gp had the results 2 days later.

I was back with the consultant today. Cyst will have to be removed and they're not sure if it can be done with keyhole surgery. Might need a bigger incision. Also because of previous surgeries they're not sure if they can save the ovary. Won't know until they go in. Should be in the next few weeks. Not the worst news but it will be a couple of months before we'll be trying to conceive.

Bloods done (GP butchered me! Very sore) left to lab & can phone on Monday for results. Only thing I'm worries about now is that AF is coming, feeling a bit cranky, bloated and crampy... AF arrived on June 10th lasted 4 days, then came again on the 19th for 3 days, Clinic are counting the 19th as Day1 so today really is only 14, if I start from the 10th though I'm on CD24 so it could work either way! Praying it doesn't arrive & i get to go ahead on the 9th, will have to wait til 26th otherwise

I'd say don't worry too much right now Dreamstar, the ovary may not need to be removed, but make sure they are clear to save it if they can at all. It might be a bit more work for them but they should do all they can to save it. Hoping all goes to plan for you and you'll be back on the wagon soon xx

Prolactin levels came back ok at 18.7 so waiting on a phone call from the clinic to give me the go ahead to start meds this Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

So two cycles trying now. First cycle I had plenty of ewcm but didn't use opks. Dtd but no joy. This cycle had no ewcm and used (out of date) OPKS as mentioned above. Got lines but VERY weak ones. Af arrived 3 days ago, pah.
    Gonna go and get a referral for IVF anyway to get the ball rolling on that asap. 1.5 years ago when I had my AMH measured I had bugger all eggs left (obviously had some though as conceived dd same month as getting AMH of 1.5) so now 1.5 years and a baby later I could have sweet f.a eggs left so no time to waste! Fingers crossed you can start the treatment (is it IVF Hollywood?) on the closer date rather than having to wait

Hey Lucuma, yip it's IVF, getting started tomorrow, got the go ahead yesterday. I'm on Long Protocol so I'm starting my sniiffer tomorrow, 2 sniffs every morning and 2 every evening for 2 weeks, have appointment for scan then on the 24th so should be starting injections then. Least things are moving again!

You could get the referral and even go for an appointment with a consultant to see what they suggest Lucuma, have the IVF talk and take it from there!

Hey Lucuma, yip it's IVF, getting started tomorrow, got the go ahead yesterday. I'm on Long Protocol so I'm starting my sniiffer tomorrow, 2 sniffs every morning and 2 every evening for 2 weeks, have appointment for scan then on the 24th so should be starting injections then. Least things are moving again!

Aw best of luck with everything Hollywood! :D Make sure and keep us posted!

Thanks Dreamstar, will definitely keep you all posted! On the nasal spray for 2 weeks, then I have a scan on the 24th. Glad to be finally started, feeling excited and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing :confused:

Glad to be finally started, feeling excited and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing :confused:

Aw it's definitely a good thing to be excited about. Things are finally moving. Great to keep the spirits up! :D

Bit of positivity can't be bad!

So I just got my day 21 results back and my progesterone levels were a lot lower than they should be. The doctor said this could be because I ovulated earlier / later than expected and I have to let her know when my period actually arrives.

She said it could also mean that I did not ovulate at all and that this could be due to the large cyst on my ovary. My consultant has also said that after checking my scans / MRI etc. that they will be unable to remove the cyst through keyhole surgery and that they will need to open me up. Similar to C-Section. Which means a much longer recovery time. And she also said there is a very high chance of losing my right ovary and tube.
    They have me down as urgent as I am in pain with it and they are trying to fit me in this month.

Just feeling so deflated. :(

So sorry Dreamstar, life really does throw lemons. I had the same surgery as you, it is longer recovery time but again for me it felt the same as the keyhole really. The worst part for me was that I went into surgery with a cough, they checked my chest which was clear & decided to go ahead with the operation but when I was home 2 days I got pneumonia, the surgery was a piece of cake compared to that. After a week I'd say I was grand (surgery wise). Again they're probably telling you worst case scenario, they may not need to take the ovary or tube, they may be able to cut the cyst away, so don't loose hope just yet. If they can at all save them they will, I'm sure you've made that clear to them? This is all part of the journey to a beautiful bundle of joy, just remember that, it needs to be done xxx

So sorry Dreamstar, life really does throw lemons. I had the same surgery as you, it is longer recovery time but again for me it felt the same as the keyhole really.

Yes life does indeed throw lemons. :mad: They have said they will do everything to save the ovary of course. The surgery is in Holles Street and as my consultant said baby making is their priority so she will do all she can.

So Hollywood you have had this too??? I have had keyhole three times and have always been ok but I am really scared about this and don't know why. :confused:
    Were you in hospital long? And how long were you 'recovering' afterwards? Everything I read says weeks.

Do you have any tips to help recovery?.......Sorry for all the questions. :)

Don't be scared DreamStar, it's fine really, well obviously you're going to be sore but you'll have painkillers & it won't be too bad really. The morphine made me sick which was worse than the surgery to be honest! I had keyhole once & my second surgery was open surgery so I have a scar similar to a c-section, very very neat & I don't even notice it to be honest.
    I had my surgery on a Saturday & I was home on Monday. It most likely was weeks but I did have pneumonia. To be honest when I got home on the Monday I was grand, bit sore but I was mobile. Ask as many questions as you like I really don't mind. I was nervous because the scar was bigger etc but I shouldn't have been as nervous as I was. It was 2012 when I had it and thankfully I'm fine since. I had 3 large cysts removed. You can't lift anything heavier than your handbag for a few weeks. Do get yourself moving after the surgery, it's important to be mobile but the clinic will get you up before you leave anyway and you can have a shower the next day too so it's not as bad as it sounds x

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Hollywood. I don't know why but I had visions of not moving out of the bed for days. I have been noticing the last few days just how much we use our tummy muscles - driving / getting out of bed etc. So it's really reassuring that you were mobile after a few days. Also very reassuring that the scar isn't too big. I have so many little scars there already.
    That must have been tough with pneumonia as well! I'd imagine every cough hurt.

I guess I'm lucky in that medication never makes me fill ill or anything so I should be ok with that.
    And do you remember if your cycles and that were affected at all? I know that sex will be the last thing on my mind for a few weeks but I'm eager to get back to TCC as soon as I can.

And was your stomach the same after? I imagine going through the stomach muscles would make them weaker? I am really into exercise and I will miss my flat(ish) tummy.

Thanks so much for all the info! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dreamstar, I can only speak for a section scar, but the incision for that is so low down, horizontal and right in the pubes, so there isn't the strain on the muscles as much as you'd think.

Because they are going under the muscles rather than through it as such, there is no real weakness. I've a tiny bit of numbness on the actual scar itself, but no loss of what little muscle tone I had. The scar is small, about a max 1.5 inches across, and its actually quite hard to find it now three years on.

I was back on my feet the day after. Section at 2pm, up and showered at 9am the following day. I got a codene based pain relief for 5 days, plus paracetamol, then just paracetamol after that. But I reckon that was needed because things were shrinking back into place again after a birth, and there was post natal cramping which you wont have. Stitches came out on day 5 - honestly the bandage coming off was worse. I didn't feel her remove the stitches at all. It was a new bead stitch, which apparently gives very neat results and super easy to remove.

Thanks Neyite - that's so reassuring.

Also something interesting they told me. IF I need to have my ovary removed (Trying to mentally prepare for it just in case) she said that your fertility is not down 50%. I would have thought I would have half the chance of conceiving. But she said that the other ovary takes over production of eggs / hormones etc. So rather than ovulating for one ovary one month and the other the next you just ovulate from the one ovary each month.
    So I still have a very good chance of conceiving. Particularly since I did successfully conceive last year. But sadly miscarried.

Gosh it's almost a year since the miscarriage - can't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

So sorry you've had a set back dreamstar. Chin up, hopefully this is the beginning of getting things sorted for you once and for all x

As Neyite said, the scar is so far down your tummy will be fine afterwards. I didn't have to go back to get stitches out, they were the dissoluble ones so that made things alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

If you lost the ovary, your fertility would be down approx 30% so you still have a high chance of conceiving :)

Yeah Lucifur the consultant said it's only down approx 15%. My gp is going to refer me to a fertility clinic for OI afterwards - but that's a bit down the road. Need to get through this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Clomid question - I'm on my third round of clomid and I just got my period today on cd24 so about 4-5 days early. Has anyone else experienced the same? Totally deflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

yellow hen wrote: »
    Clomid question - I'm on my third round of clomid and I just got my period today on cd24 so about 4-5 days early. Has anyone else experienced the same? Totally deflated.

I'm on cd2 about to start my 4th round of clomid. My cycle has shortened from 33 days to 28/29 days. I got af this cycle 12 dpo. Piddled off would describe how I'm feeling!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

yellow hen wrote: »

I've an irregular cycle, more so on the long side of things. On my second and third round of clomid my cycle shortened 28/29 days.

When I did my second set of three I had two short cycles (26 / 28 days) can't recall what the other was...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement