Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hey neyite! I would definitely go first response, I got my positive 4 days before period when I was pregnant. I know what u mean, it looks good but to protect itself you can't get too excited, try to distract yourself!! Easier said than done! The very very best if luck, fingers and toes crossed for ya !
    barbiegirl wrote: »
    Neyite fingers and toes crossed. First Response all the way
    Lucyfur wrote: »
    I've always used first response too.....I'm just home from Boots (first response are buy one get one free). I asked lady working there was there a difference in the sensitivity between tests.....and she said there wasn't:confused:

Used clear blue when I was pregnant with my son and I had barely pee'd on it when it turned to positive.
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Neyite, I used First Responce when I was pregnant it was a few days before I was due & it showed.. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for ya x

Thanks for the advice ladies - got a 2 pack of First Response on my way home in Boots- was buy one get one free so I have 4 tests - did one when I got home and there is not a hint of a line, but then, I have had a litre of water since lunchtime and a massive mug of tea, so may be too diluted. gonna try again in the morning, hopefully with better luck.
    hey neyite, could be implantation cramping, what day past ovulation are you?

I think you and I were on similar cycles this month - I got a postive OPK on 13th and 14th of Feb, so probably ovulated a day or so after that? CD1 was 4th Feb. would be about 14 or 15 days, would that fit?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Ladies, I know this isn't an amazing question to ask but I'm a little freaked out :( my berate have been really hurting the last few days but they always get soar coming up to my period (due Sunday but never this bad) I was out all day & when I got home a little while ago I decided to take off my bra to relive the pains & the bumps around my nipple on my left side has gone hard and it looks like it's clumped to a lump :( it's def never been like that before & like I said really freaked out :( gonna go the Doc first thing tomorrow bit just wondering if anyone has heard or been through something similar?? Input is very appreciated..

Try not to be too worried, hon, it could just be blocked pores or something? mine get very itchy, so I do wonder if its hormonal changes there. The doc im sure will put your mind at ease. My boobs used to get very sore too, but that was the prolactin acting up. hope it goes well tomorrow with the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks Neyite.. I'm hoping it's nothing, better safe to go the Doc just to be sure :(

Best of luck with your test in the morning :) hopefully some good news x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi Ladies, I know this isn't an amazing question to ask but I'm a little freaked out :( my berate have been really hurting the last few days but they always get soar coming up to my period (due Sunday but never this bad) I was out all day & when I got home a little while ago I decided to take off my bra to relive the pains & the bumps around my nipple on my left side has gone hard and it looks like it's clumped to a lump :( it's def never been like that before & like I said really freaked out :( gonna go the Doc first thing tomorrow bit just wondering if anyone has heard or been through something similar?? Input is very appreciated..

Tigress they are both early pregnancy signs (the tenderness and the bumps). I bought a great book the other day called "What To Expect When You're Expecting" and those two are listed.

Neyite wrote: »

I think you and I were on similar cycles this month - I got a postive OPK on 13th and 14th of Feb, so probably ovulated a day or so after that? CD1 was 4th Feb. would be about 14 or 15 days, would that fit?

So I think you would be 15 or 16 days past ovulation and should get a positive by now, Have you tested?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spingler

hey neyite and tigeress and all, really hope you get your positives, best of luck :) im off work at mo on stress relief, best thing ive done, going to do some serious chilling out, ;) and fun:o;):)

Thanks DFT the Doc said it looks like a hormone imbalance but it's perfectly normal :) she said it could be a good sign but wouldn't do a test as I'm not die till Sat.. The last time I fell pregnant my boobs were very very soar and I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I'm hoping it's a good sign :) I told myself this month I won't do a test until I'm late sonim holding off till mid next week.. Well that's the plan anyways! It is in both breasts yeah... I can't even put the seatbelt over them :( fingers crossed!

How ate you feeling DFT? Any sickness or anything??

Neyite, how'd the test this morning go?

Spingler, glad to hear you're getting stress free :) hope it works out for you hun xxx

So I think you would be 15 or 16 days past ovulation and should get a positive by now, Have you tested?

I got my period about an hour ago. I had an idea that nothing was happening this month, because the First Response was a neg this morning.

Its a bit of a bummer, if I conceived, then the baby would have been due around the birthday of my late father, which would have felt like a blessing on the baby.
    also, mum was in the epicentre of the NZ quake, so it would have been lovely to have good news for her to focus on when she got home instead of the traumatic experience of that. I might still get a positive before she comes home. onwards and upwards.

How is your pregnancy progressing DF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Neyite- im sorry, i hope your ok, even if you had a feeling it wasnt happening, its still very disappointing. Im the same as you , i always imagine what dates i would be due or when i would be 6 months pregnant and really showing etc, like this month i have various weddings i can imagine myself at with various size bumps, and before christmas it was imagining id be pregnant at christmas and telling all my family etc, however i have tried to stop doing that as i found it only made my disappointment greater each month. I found i was not only upset i was not pregnant that month, but i was also mourning a baby i never had..... This is only my experience and feelings so obviously ignore me if you dont find it affects you that way, but i find it easier to imagine myself with two children in a few years time, i imagine putting them to bed, bringing them for walks, everything! But that way there is no time limit on me and so less pressure, im putting faith in it happening in the next few months and not pinning all my hopes on one month, with one due date and one pregnancy. I dont even know if that makes sense...hard to explain!
    Actually im finding it hard myself this month, im only on day 18 and it does occupy alot of my thinking time! Trying to stop, as theres still ten days left and i'll go mad! But trying to do what i said above and not pin all my hopes on this month. I hope your feeling ok anyway tho :)

Tigeress - i really hope ur symptoms are as a result of a pregnancy! The very best of luck!

Detective - I hope ur getting along well and feeling positive!!:D

• Advertisement

Dublinlady, your thoughts are very much appreciated :) it's really weird cause I find myself reading your last post over and over and thinking that you wrote how I feel... I constantly think of being pregnant and I count 9 months ahead of every new month hoping that's when we'll have our baby.. I would have been due the end of this month if we hadn't had a mc :( but I know it wasn't our baby and it's yet to come.. I feel so consumed by it all of the time between thinking the what if's to the hopes that this month (& every month) is our month, my biggest worry is that there us something wrong an that I might never have the kids I dream of :( I hope that soon I will have my third time lucky baby :) it's so hard to say so many of this out loud but in it's own way it relieves some of the worry too! I am only mid 20's and know I still have loads of time.. My partner is always telling me to stop letting it consume me and it will happen when it happens but I see the disappointment everymonth on his face aswell as mine when I get my period.. We all have to keep positive and hard as it maybe we will all get there :) and in the meantime we have each other to help us through.. Thanks so much ladies for listening to me, it really helps me :) and I hope you all feel the same too!

Chin up Neyite, it will happen soon for you hun xx (big hugs today)

Thanks ladies for your kind thoughts. This forum has been great for me - you guys get how I feel at every stage, I have one sister that knows I'm ttc, and a friend that I blurted it out to (but dont see her all that often)when she was ribbing me about having kids before i get too old.

DL, I really like your way of looking at things - I think I will do the same, imagining the children, rather than the baby bumps. I totally get what you mean, the time frame is a bit more vague and forgiving on us, is'nt it? I have an image of a couple of gorgeous little scally wags up to mischief and me trying hard to keep a pretend cross face on. (and their daddy failing miserably at the task also) :) Thats what I gotta focus on.

Is the acupuncture still on with you, do you find that helps?

Tigeress, My partner is the same - he plays it down because he sees that I veer towards getting upset, but one night he had a few drinks and started talking about how much he was looking forward to us having a baby and being a proper little family. I only hope that it is third time lucky for you, pet.

Heres hoping we all graduate to the pregnancy thread in 2011 :D

Thanks DFT the Doc said it looks like a hormone imbalance but it's perfectly normal :) she said it could be a good sign but wouldn't do a test as I'm not die till Sat.. The last time I fell pregnant my boobs were very very soar and I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I'm hoping it's a good sign :) I told myself this month I won't do a test until I'm late sonim holding off till mid next week.. Well that's the plan anyways! It is in both breasts yeah... I can't even put the seatbelt over them :( fingers crossed!

How ate you feeling DFT? Any sickness or anything??

good on you for holding off testing. It took all my strength to hold off til 11 days gone, it wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did.
    I'm feeling quite queasy. A bit of cramping (exactly like period cramps). Light headedness. And I'm very run down. Just got a second cold sore today, 2 in two weeks, that's never happened to me before, I get a cold sore about once a year, usually when I have my winter cold. I guess my body is out of whack with all that's going on. I'm eating well though and still taking my prenatals, folic acid and fish oil, can't do much more than that. thanks for asking :)
    GP appointment scheduled for tomorrow.
    Neyite wrote: »
    I got my period about an hour ago. I had an idea that nothing was happening this month, because the First Response was a neg this morning.

Its a bit of a bummer, if I conceived, then the baby would have been due around the birthday of my late father, which would have felt like a blessing on the baby.
    also, mum was in the epicentre of the NZ quake, so it would have been lovely to have good news for her to focus on when she got home instead of the traumatic experience of that. I might still get a positive before she comes home. onwards and upwards.

How is your pregnancy progressing DF?

Oh Neyite, sorry to hear that your period came. (((hugs))) That's sad about your dad, it would have been lovely if it coiniced with his birthday. :( sorry it didn't happen this month.
    I can't believe your mam was involved in the quake. Is she ok???

Oh Neyite, sorry to hear that your period came. (((hugs))) That's sad about your dad, it would have been lovely if it coiniced with his birthday. :( sorry it didn't happen this month.
    I can't believe your mam was involved in the quake. Is she ok???

Yeah, she is grand - unharmed, but she had to stay in the area in a shelter and there were still tremors happening for days. But, y'know, she was not hurt, there are people who lost everything they possess, and those who mourning loved ones. She got a terrible fright, and would have been great to get her all giddy over a grandkid. She will be there for another 5 -6 weeks so I might still get lucky there. Either way, shes getting a grandchild by christmas if I have anything to do with it.:)

I am not upset this month, thankfully. Been quite philosophical and taking DublinLadys approach, which seems to be working. Glad your pregnancy is coming along nicely - plenty of rest, and your supplements I guess is all you can do until your body adjusts to its new role :D.

Neyite - glad to hear ur mums ok! Now remember - stop putting pressure on urself to be pregnant when she gets home!! haha! Just dont forward plan in detail at all, thats whats helpin me get through! Some days are easier than others... but really trying to focus on it now, really trying not to let my mind wander!! Acupuncture definitely helping, but i actually think its more the chats with the woman than the needles that our helping! Its nice to have a once weekly chat to put it all in perspective, i was feeling awful yesterday, couldnt stop thinking negative thoughs, couldnt imagine ever being pregnant and then today she completely raised my spirits, im positive and relaxed! I know by nex wednesday it will have slipped again and ill be getting stressed about the last week of the 2 weekwait, but at least ill have her on thursday to help me to feel better and keep it in perspective!! Its the power of the mind im battling with most - trying to stay relaxed and positive is what we are really working on! So far my blood tests etc have all been normal, and i have conceived before, so really it has to be just the sadness and stress thats been preventing it, but that is so much improved now! But like everyone.... i have good days and bad days...and thats why im glad to have this forum...to vent!!

Detective Foxtrot - so great to hear ur doing so well - another week or two and the symptoms will be upping a notch!!:p Its brilliant:D

Tigress - stay positive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Can you tell me a tell me a little bit more about the acupuncture please? Is it a form specifically for trying to conceive? It's taking over my life......I need to chill out a bit :o

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Can you tell me a tell me a little bit more about the acupuncture please? Is it a form specifically for trying to conceive? It's taking over my life......I need to chill out a bit :o

Yeah, that was my biggest problem - being stressed out! I had a m/c last august and really just wanted to be pregnant again to fix it etc..... the acupunturist helping me to grieve my lost baby, and to become positive again about the present and future. We spend roughly 15-20mins just talking and then I have the needles in for a good half hour or so. She focuses on different areas at different times of the month, but has stress reduction and fertility at the forefront of her priorities! But once i had a kidney infection and she did needles in the kidney area (actually on foot!!) and it was gone within 24 hours!! I was not a believer before..but was desperate as kinda thought i was loosing my mind...or getting depressed anyway!! Now im able to live my life, i still am 100% focused on becoming pregnant, but im finding the journey easier! I cant say whether or not it works for fertility yet, am only on my 2nt menstrual cycle with her (on day 19) and im willing to give it 4 months (cant afford any more!)
    Who knows...but i certainly feel better, im glad to have someone to talk to who seems to bring out raw emotion in me i didnt realise i was hiding! It also helps me to think that the needles are helping me and so the burden is not all on my shoulders...ive got help!!
    Its still not always easy to be positive - but she has given me coping mechanisms that are invaluable. Overall i'd definitely recommend it!
    Hope that helped! Im sure some people have done it and thought it was crap...but i love it :D

hi all, does any of you use the progestrone gel and if so do you get headaches?
    Ii ovulated on day 8 this month, when should i do a test? im normally, 26, 27 days... using the gel until sat, its a pain cos it can hold back your mentrual cycle and make you a day or so late, plays with your emmotions.:( feeling down today:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place or not so if I need to be pointed elsewhere please point away:)
    I'm 33 (will be 34 in July) and would like to begin trying for a baby with my boyfriend in the next year or so. I'm a little worried about my age and am concerned that it will be very difficult for me to get pregnant. Is there anything that I could start doing now to get my body ready? I've been on the Pill for quite a while too and I was thinking that maybe I should come off it soon to try to get some handle on my natural cycle:confused:

hi penny, best advice i can give is live life to the full, laugh alot and enjoy a healthy life style. Dont start worrying to soon into trying because the worry can drag you down. come off the pill and leave it to nature for 6 to 1o months, have fun trying.... :) your cycle hopfully should return to normal within one to two months, if nothing happens after the above lenth of time, then go to your gp and he/she will direct you. i started trying at age 35 and waited until july of this year to have it looked into,(literally) ha.... i am 36 now and will be 37 in march, but having said this, you and i are young and it will happen. :) best of luck x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

dublinlady wrote: »
    Yeah, that was my biggest problem - being stressed out! I had a m/c last august and really just wanted to be pregnant again to fix it etc..... the acupunturist helping me to grieve my lost baby, and to become positive again about the present and future. We spend roughly 15-20mins just talking and then I have the needles in for a good half hour or so. She focuses on different areas at different times of the month, but has stress reduction and fertility at the forefront of her priorities! But once i had a kidney infection and she did needles in the kidney area (actually on foot!!) and it was gone within 24 hours!! I was not a believer before..but was desperate as kinda thought i was loosing my mind...or getting depressed anyway!! Now im able to live my life, i still am 100% focused on becoming pregnant, but im finding the journey easier! I cant say whether or not it works for fertility yet, am only on my 2nt menstrual cycle with her (on day 19) and im willing to give it 4 months (cant afford any more!)
    Who knows...but i certainly feel better, im glad to have someone to talk to who seems to bring out raw emotion in me i didnt realise i was hiding! It also helps me to think that the needles are helping me and so the burden is not all on my shoulders...ive got help!!
    Its still not always easy to be positive - but she has given me coping mechanisms that are invaluable. Overall i'd definitely recommend it!
    Hope that helped! Im sure some people have done it and thought it was crap...but i love it :D

That sounds like something that would work for me, I think I may try it:) Thank you for the reply

Hey ladies, how are you all? Well I'm on day 31 tomorrow I get my period usually day 31 if not by day 32 so fingers crossed!! I've been very regular for months.. (Well I had irregular periods before my mc in July but only within a week or so, but all regular for months now) my boobs are still super soar so I'm hoping it's a good sign!! I'm not doing a test till after a week over! I know it sounds a bit mental but I have been late a week before and then it's come so I wanna wait.. So does my partner :) I'm still hopeful so fingers crossed!

Baby dust to all x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Fingers crossed for you Tigeress!

Neyite I'm so sorry that you didn't get a positive this month, hopefully next month x

Penny Dreadful, definitely come off the pill now, no harm to start taking your folic acid supplements & like Springler suggest, enjoy life & the 'trying' ;)
    Don't stress over your age, the acupuncturist I attended recently is I think 40 or 41 and pregnant with baby no. 1, you're only a young un :)

Dublinlady, it is so hard trying to remain positive. It stuck in my head what the gynae told me about stress most likely being the cause of my monthly negative results.
    Now if something is stressing me out (this sounds really corny :o) I just take a deep breath & remind myself that its the stupid things I'm stressing over that are preventing me from having a baby, so its a good incentive to let the stress go.

I had a call from my gynae to say the first of my bloods have come back - all clear! She reckons I don't have PCOS, my second set of bloods at the end of the month will confirm it for definite.

Now I have a theory. I reckon since the miscarriage that with my cycle increasing it length to nearly 5 weeks, I have been ovulating much later.
    So whereas I was expecting ovulation at day 14 - 16, I'm actually ovulating later in the cycle. So I was doing the 'trying' too early in the month.

At least I'm hoping that's possibly what the case was & I'm trying to go into this month with a positive outlook.
    The gynae charted my cycle for me & recommended I start trying from day 18 x 5 days. Previously I was starting at day 11 - day 16, so possibly missing my fertile time by a matter of days!
    Today would have been the due date of the baby I lost, but I feel strangely calm, I thought I'd be a wreck.

I'm curious about one thing, when I had the ultrasound I was told I was not ovulating/no sign of a dominant follicle.
    Is it possible because I'm ovulating so late in the month that there wasn't a dominant follicle then, but could have been later in the month?
    Or is it a case where there should constantly be a dominant follicle?
    Time to google methinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

What day did you have the scan cap? Could just have been too early to see a dominant follicle

Hi CCL, it was day 5 of my now 35 day cycle. Its just that the positive result from the blood test would seem at odds with being told I've no dominant follicles :confused:
    Surely if I'd none dominant/wasn't ovulating, then it'd show up in my blood? hmmm confused.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Day 5 is very early. Did they say that any of the follicles were maturing? Polycystic ovaries means that there are usually many follicles maturing, usually in a 'pearl necklace' formation. Did that say anything about this to you?

There is a difference between 'polycystic ovaries' and 'polycystic ovarian syndrome' Just having polycystic ovaries may mean that a dominant follicle wasn't seen (and that may not be the case every month!) and polycystic ovarian syndrome means that there is no dominant follicle and you have a hormone imbalance which would be picked up in your bloods.

If you are stressed and anxious (as you probably are) this can affect ovulation and may be why you were old from your scan that you have polycystic ovaries.

I used to have very irregular periods and was scanned and told that I had polycystic ovaries yet all of my bloods came back normal. I was told I would probably have trouble conceiveing but so far have not. I don't know if it would be a contributing factor in my miscarriages tho.

I hope you've been ok the past few days with the due date. I have it coming up in April for the angel I lost and then again in May for the first lost angel. I find strength and happiness in Megan as I'm sure you do too in Rose x

Hi all, hope everyone is well & positive! Well I still haven't gotten my period yet however I'm getting my usual period cramps all day so I have a feeling I'll be seeing my monthly visitor very soon :( I'm hoping I'm wrong but sure there is alwYs next month....

Hi Cap, in a typical cycle a follicle becomes dominant around day 7 so it could easily be missed on a scan. If you're cycles are getting longer then it could eve be later than day 7 when a follicle takes over.

You are right - with longer cycles you ovulate later so you need to change up your pattern (or just keep going if you and OH have the stamina!). When cycles vary it's typically the Follicular Phase (egg growing phase before ovulation) that varies in length, and not the Luteal Phase (the days after ovulation leading up to your period), the Luteal Phase is more or less the same every cycle (give or take a day). Before Clomid I had irregular cycles. Some were 40 days, some were 70, but in all cases my Luteal Phase was the same - 14 days (I charted so know this for a fact). The very odd time it was 15 days. My ovulation day however moved around, in a 40 days cycle ovulation would be on day 26, in a 70 day cycle ovulation would be on day 56.

Hope this helps. ;)

Thanks CCL & DFT x 100 for the advice & reassurance. I've seen 3 different medical professionals in the past 6 weeks & find there is so much reading between the lines to be done, not much clarity :(
    ...Or maybe its moreso down to my impatience :o

The radiographer showed me that all my follicles were the same size which he suggested could be the cause of my lack of ovulation.
    My GP suggested that lack of ovulation was the cause of the period like cramping I have been experiencing throughout each month.
    The gynae was doubtful of pcos from the start & moreso after my bloods.

I'm really glad to know it may have been too early for a dominant follicle to be detected (they were all the same size, but not too small & all else was clear)

CCL I'm sorry for your due date(s) coming up soon also, but you're right, we have much to be grateful for with our gorgeous girls x.

Tigeress, early pregnancy symptoms are very similar to pre-period ones (cramps etc), so I've my fingers & toes crossed that this month will be your month :)

• Advertisement

Hi ladies.. Well I got my period yesterday :( was really hoping we were lucky :( I was in work when I got those tell tail signs and knew.. In a way I'm glad I was in work cause I couldn't have a cry or let me get down, I just brushed it off & kept going.. I'm positive about this months try in a few weeks! I doubt I'll stay so positive and I'll prob be upset in a week or so but I'm trying to stay optimistic.. I have gotten pregnant twice before ( neither ended the way I'd hoped) but I can get pregnant I just need our baby to hang on :)

I'm watching out for all the ovulation signs & I have a rough idea each month on when I ovulate as my periods are 31/32 days but this month 34 does anyone have any suggestions for ovulation tests? I have person but after using it for 4 months it's not very good & it cost €100! is there any out there you can just tests yourself daily around your ovulation times and it tells you forsure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement