Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point - it's the wow factor. Non-techies don't care it hasn't got 3G. In fact, in the US, people are not as aware of 3G as we are over here.

It's Apple's legendary marketing and image branding that got it where it is today.

Actually Tom, According to Stuff magazine, Apple decided to not go with 3G because of the power hungry processor involved. It was felt that for the 1st gen version users wouldn't put up with a poor battery performance.

Regarding the other posters and their concerns about MMS etc, you can send your images as mail attachments from what I understand but as a Mac user, I don't really care, I have decided I'm getting the 8GB version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

LFCFan wrote: »
    You'll get all the people who get pulled in by the hype rushing to get the iPhone now. I would love an iPhone, but only if it had:

1. 3G
    2. Minimum of a 3.2MP Camera
    3. Flash support in Safari Browser (I have the iTouch and this is really annoying)
    4. Same Tarrifs as all other phones. At the end of the day, the iPhone is expensive so you shouldn't have to also pay more for your tarrif.

Hi LFCFan, as per my answer to Tom Dunne regarding 3G, there is a very good reason for not installing a 3G chip in the device, i.e. power issues.

I use Safari and Firefox on my Mac, Safari is many many times quicker at loading pages with the same broadband connection. There will shortly be a flash plugin to help you out on your iphone.

Price. Unlike other phones, the Iphone is not network subsidised and thus the appearance of being expensive. A point that many people have missed is that the device is on offer to ALL bill pay customers, including those ineligible for upgrades. i.e. it doesn't affect your upgrade status so you can still use your billpay upgrade for a backup phone such as an N96 when it arrives.

However, there does appear to be some pitfalls with the purchase that many have missed. Criteria must be met by the purchaser. It is an 18 month contract, you must sign up for paperless billing and you must pay by direct debit.

Existing Iphone users (unlocked Iphones) cannot avail of the iphone price plans and will not be provided with any support for their device as their warranty is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

hosi wrote: »
    They must also sign contract for min. 24 months!

24 months is standard in Germany for a mobile phone contract, it's not specific to the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

thesteve wrote: »
    24 months is standard in Germany for a mobile phone contract, it's not specific to the iPhone

That's true. For €49 you get 100 mins and 40 SMS and then they are charging 29c./min for all calls after that and 19c for all SMS. Plus while data might be unlimited only the first 200MB are available at Edge speeds. All data after that is throttled to 64kbit/s. So what O2 are offering is not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

jester77 wrote: »
    That's true. For €49 you get 100 mins and 40 SMS and then they are charging 29c./min for all calls after that and 19c for all SMS. Plus while data might be unlimited only the first 200MB are available at Edge speeds. All data after that is throttled to 64kbit/s. So what O2 are offering is not that bad!

jesus thats sh1te...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

eamon234 wrote: »
    I can't see why everyone's moaning about the tariffs - I'm on Talk 200 with Meteor and I pay €40 a month for 200 minutes, 60 texts and no data - if I want a poxy 250 meg I have to pay an extra €9.99. and in fairness 2c per meg over the 1gb cap is pretty reasonable given the data rates on Meteor

The equivalent tariff on Vodafone is €49 a month with 200 texts and the calls over your minutes are 5c more expensive

Of course the handset was going to be expensive - this is Apple we're talking about they've always been expensive - bottom line is if you don't like it - don't buy it and if someone else wants to buy it that's their business it doesn't make them any more clever than you and it doesn't make you any more clever than them it's a matter of personal choice.

This is a the most sensible post I've read in this whole thread. I couldn't agree more. Personally, I can't wait for the iPhone to be released and consequently can only be a good thing in getting Vodafone and Meteor to open up their woeful data plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

chrislad wrote: »
    The 1gig limit is grand. I use my iPhone regularly and quite heavily and I barely go over 200megs a month. That's with using Installer, Mail and Safari.
    What about Youtube?? Does streaming videos shoot up the usage?? Presumably it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys. Couple of questions to clear things up in my mind...

afaik O2 have exclusivity on the iPhone for at least a few years. So no Vodafone, 3 or Meteor iPhone. Correct ?

Wifi. This 1G limit. Can I still connect to my wireless network in my house and browse the net etc.. on my phone with that and not effect my 1G limit ?

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

Yes it will be exclusive to O2 - can't say for certain for how long. Probably 18 months at least.

Using it on WiFi has no impact on your 1GB limit - the limit is tied to your O2 SIM card not the phone. WHen your on WiFi your not using the mobile network.

Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

It's exclusive to 02, yes that's true, but only for the 1st gen iPhone. If Apple bring out a 2nd gen version (looking likely this year), Apple can choose another carrier or ship a sim-free version if they like (wishful thinking).

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    It's exclusive to 02, yes that's true, but only for the 1st gen iPhone. If Apple bring out a 2nd gen version (looking likely this year), Apple can choose another carrier or ship a sim-free version if they like (wishful thinking).
    Very wishful thinking. I'd seriously doubt O2, T-Mobile, Orange or AT&T would allow it slip away that easily. I'm sure they'd have 1st refusal at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bobhoskins

Ok - whats this about - page 1 of the business section in the Irish Times today....

Irish customers will be capped at 12 gigabytes before additional charges of 2c per megabyte kick in. "12 Gigabytes is a significant amount of data and shold be more than enough for the vast majority of our customers that will use the iPhone" said an O2 Spokesman....

Interesting....

I'm off to the states in a couple of weeks where I could pick up a brand new iPhone for 329 EUR unlock it and hope it remains possible to unlock it with all future updates.

Or, I could go with o2 and get one for €499 and end up tied into a contract for 18 months but safe in the knowledge that it will work with updates.

What to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

The updates will always be hacked...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I saw that reference to 12Gigs and I guess its just a sly way to make it look more substantial - it's probably 12Gigs per annum - 1 Gb per month.

I've been made aware that O2 will have exclusivity for all and any iPhones for at least a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Does email fall under the 1GB limit as in you won't be charged fro sending mails as long as you are under the limit.
    How likely would it be to go over this limit surfing and handling email?

Yeah, am starting to lean towards the buying in the states option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

richieg wrote: »
    Does email fall under the 1GB limit as in you won't be charged fro sending mails as long as you are under the limit.
    How likely would it be to go over this limit surfing and handling email?

email is the sending and receiving of data, so yeah its free as long as u're under the gig for the month and unless u surf so fast that you're eyes bleed, and even then, u'd never come close to that cap..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bobhoskins

Patrickof wrote: »
    I saw that reference to 12Gigs and I guess its just a sly way to make it look more substantial - it's probably 12Gigs per annum - 1 Gb per month.

Sly one.... never thought of that....

KJF wrote: »
    Yeah, am starting to lean towards the buying in the states option.

If you bought one in the states and unlocked it. Can you then use it on the O2 network using your existing tariff plan ?

You would need a tariff plan that allowed data transfer. Or else if you surfed on your phone you would get charged a fortune no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

brianon wrote: »
    If you bought one in the states and unlocked it. Can you then use it on the O2 network using your existing tariff plan ?

You would need a tariff plan that allowed data transfer. Or else if you surfed on your phone you would get charged a fortune no ?

nope,only irish o2 iphones can be used with the iphone tariff,otherwise youll have to get a data addon (which in some cases actually works out better since the minutes and texts from the iphone tariffs dont carry over if you dont use them whereas the active life ones do, and active life 150 with 1gb addon will get you the same thing as the 45 euro iphone one but with 25 less minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

krudler wrote: »
    nope,only irish o2 iphones can be used with the iphone tariff,otherwise youll have to get a data addon (which in some cases actually works out better since the minutes and texts from the iphone tariffs dont carry over if you dont use them whereas the active life ones do, and active life 150 with 1gb addon will get you the same thing as the 45 euro iphone one but with 25 less minutes

Sounds interesting. Do you ever go over the GB mark? - If so what is the most you have gone over by?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You don't have to update it every time Apple release an update. I'm still on 1.1.2 even though 1.1.4 is the current and I'm more than happy with it. I might update when the SDK is released as it's looking like exchange support is being added and hopefully flash support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seanatron

KJF wrote: »
    This is a the most sensible post I've read in this whole thread. I couldn't agree more. Personally, I can't wait for the iPhone to be released and consequently can only be a good thing in getting Vodafone and Meteor to open up their woeful data plans.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Warranty is 12 months contract is 18 so you could end up tied to a contract for a phone that no longer works and which they will not repair

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Yeah me too... I just nipped out and ordered the 8GB one... have been waiting to get one legit since it came out... my current plan with O2 is quite similar to the 45 yoyo iPhone tarriff plus now I get the 1GB limit (which I will probably never use as I have wifi at home and at work)...! Suits me perfectly... Roll on the 14th..!

Rats

If you are upgrading do you get any money off the price ?

• Advertisement

Just saw this article on google news about the cost of the iPhone

According to the link its going to set you back 1,200euro by the end of the 18-month contract, but do you need to get the contract even if you're an existing O2 customer?

Advertisement