Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

brianon wrote: »
    If you are upgrading do you get any money off the price ?

there are no discounts of any kind on the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Really dont see the impact of not having visual voicemail?

how often would you have 3+ voicemails? which might make it useful - plus (and i think this is pretty common) alot of the voicemail i get is from unknown numbers ie you ignore it and let it go to VM so if they they actually were on visual voicemail it wouuld be rendered useless anyway as they all just show up as numbers.

Unless your a business user with lots of VM in which instance you wont really wantt an iphone for work anyway?

PS glad to see the moaning has begun - O2 could have put 200 gigs for a fiver on this and there would be someone complaining:rolleyes:, there will no doubt be good data bundles available once they can judge how the phone impacts the network etc. plus its 2c for each extra meg over the bundle thats pretty good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Gryzor wrote: »
    email is the sending and receiving of data, so yeah its free as long as u're under the gig for the month and unless u surf so fast that you're eyes bleed, and even then, u'd never come close to that cap..;)

What about Youtube though??

I had a look through google for the answer, so apologies if this is stupid, but if you stream a 100MB clip, how would that affect your usage?

Again apologies if this is a dumb question but it's something I was wondering about, e.g. just say you're down the pub and stream a youtube clip, is it going to use up 1/10th of your monthly allowance??

I probably just don't understand how streaming works? I always kind of thought streaming kind of temporarily downloaded stuff to the comp played it and deleted it etc., but surely the data still comes into the comp/iPhone and then back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Ste05 wrote: »
    What about Youtube though??

I had a look through google for the answer, so apologies if this is stupid, but if you stream a 100MB clip, how would that affect your usage?

Again apologies if this is a dumb question but it's something I was wondering about, e.g. just say you're down the pub and stream a youtube clip, is it going to use up 1/10th of your monthly allowance??

I probably just don't understand how streaming works? I always kind of thought streaming kind of temporarily downloaded stuff to the comp played it and deleted it etc., but surely the data still comes into the comp/iPhone and then back out?

my understanding is that streaming a 100mb clip is the same as downloading it, u just get to watch it as you're downloading....i wouldn't think youtube clips are very large in size though, they're very low res....open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i hope its sold somewhere that doesnt make you signup on the spot, so i can still buy phones and phreak em :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

How long after the iphone went on sale in the uk, were people able to buy them without a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I just popped into my local O2 store there and pre-ordered. They said they're only taking pre-orders for the 8gig as on launch day the number of 16gig will be quite limited so it's a first come, first serve on them. If you order the 8gig and there's a 16gig available, you can obviously take it.

The 8gig will more than likely do me fine. Might see if i'm in a frivolous mood on the 14th and go the extra €100 for the 16gig for no good reason :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

swingking wrote: »
    How long after the iphone went on sale in the uk, were people able to buy them without a contract?

The same as it is now officially you can not buy them without contract you are just supposed to sign up for the contract at home.

Whether it will be that way here I doubt I think it is that way to facilitate the Apple stores selling them as they wanted to sell them in the Apple store but did not want the Apple store getting involved in the AT&T contract signing.

As we dont have any apple store they will only be available in O2 and CWP which are both well capable of making you sign on the dotted line before you leave the shop.

Ah well Apple store in Belfast opens next Month you can always get them there

Any ideas what the Irish functionality of the apps are like? Eg, will things like the weather app and maps be properly localised to work in Ireland? It annoys me greatly that Google Maps doesn't work properly for Ireland - you can't do any searches for place names or businesses or directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Gryzor wrote: »
    my understanding is that streaming a 100mb clip is the same as downloading it, u just get to watch it as you're downloading....i wouldn't think youtube clips are very large in size though, they're very low res....open to correction though

Yes, that is correct - streaming is the same as downloading as far as data limits are concerned. The only difference, of course, is at the end of streaming, you don't actually get to keep the file.

Any YouTube files that I have downloaded (yes, not streamed ;)) are around 8 - 10 Meg and they are pretty much all music videos of approx. 4 mins in duration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Branoic wrote: »
    It annoys me greatly that Google Maps doesn't work properly for Ireland - you can't do any searches for place names or businesses or directions.

Have you tried it recently? You can now do searches and get directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

If you're on an o2 contract at the moment would you still have to sign up for another 18 months to get the phone? Also, what if a few months down the line the phone is lost/damaged beyond repair and you want to get another one, does that involve signing up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mrpropre

Bubonic wrote: »
    You can add unlimited data to a 3 contract for 19.99 a month. Better to unlock a phone and do that.

Bubonic that's what I thought too, but unfortunately Three USIMs are not compatible with iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Branoic wrote: »
    Any ideas what the Irish functionality of the apps are like? Eg, will things like the weather app and maps be properly localised to work in Ireland? It annoys me greatly that Google Maps doesn't work properly for Ireland - you can't do any searches for place names or businesses or directions.

New software update has the details for ireland to support the service here
    KJF wrote: »
    If you're on an o2 contract at the moment would you still have to sign up for another 18 months to get the phone? Also, what if a few months down the line the phone is lost/damaged beyond repair and you want to get another one, does that involve signing up again?

Doesn't look like you have to sign up again, but will have to pay the full price again. No insurance offer has been finalised on it yet, but should be something for launch.

Anyone notice that you have to put all your contacts in manually :eek: It doesn't read contacts from your sim, but will take them from outlook if saved. Still a bit of a pain, don't know anyone that does this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The tariff options are pretty poor and certainly not very compeditive. Clearly they'll be hoping that iPhone hype rather than value sells it

1GB of data ?! Why so low?!
    No unlimited option.

I'd have expected something a bit more spectacular in terms of price. It's certainly not enough to attract me over to O2, their price plans are generally very bad value from what I can see of them and data is still stuck in the past.

No visual voicemail then...I wonder why?

"Visual Voicemail. This handy feature lets you review a list of those who have left messages for you in order to choose which messages you want to hear, without being forced to listen through to them all. O2 Ireland will charge iPhone users a hefty 15c/minute charge for message playback."

Speaks for itself :rolleyes:

Taking money from irish mobile users must be like candy from a baby to mobile operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Guys, is there any point in holding out for the 3G IPhone whenever it is released later this year, if the only advantage will be having a full 3G IPhone with faster mobile downloading speeds if I won't really be using the 3G capabilites to their fullest - have wifi broadband at home anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

I kind of fancy one of these, but am pretty clueless about phones, so aplogies for the dumb questions.
    Is it more like an iPod you can make calls on, or a phone that plays music? :)
    Basically; does it have all the functionality of an iPod? Is it easy to use for music playback, will it plug into my car?

What's it like for web browsing?
    Is it a piece of piss to connect to my home wireless network so not to eat into the data limit?
    What would you need to be doing to actually breach the 1gb limit?

What's this "3G" talk? Is there going to be a new iPhone that has 3G? (whatever that is, LOL)
    If that's coming (an presuming it means the phone will be better) would I be better off waiting?

horseflesh wrote: »
    I kind of fancy one of these, but am pretty clueless about phones, so aplogies for the dumb questions.
    Is it more like an iPod you can make calls on, or a phone that plays music? :)
    Basically; does it have all the functionality of an iPod? Is it easy to use for music playback, will it plug into my car?

What's it like for web browsing?
    Is it a piece of piss to connect to my home wireless network so not to eat into the data limit?
    What would you need to be doing to actually breach the 1gb limit?

What's this "3G" talk? Is there going to be a new iPhone that has 3G? (whatever that is, LOL)
    If that's coming (an presuming it means the phone will be better) would I be better off waiting?

It's a phone with all the best functionality of a video ipod and one of the best interent browsers available on a mobile. 3G is a technology standard for mobile phones providing faster data transfer, which the current iphone doesn't use. I don't buy into the "wait for the 3g iphone" arguement, as even if it is released later this year, it'll probably be the middle of next year before it reaches Ireland.

If you're not too familiar with the iphone and what it does, I really recommend you go to www.apple.com/iphone/gettingstarted/guidedtour. You can watch or download a good 20 minute demo video of all the main features and interface controls. Naturally as the video is made by apple it's a pretty one sided marketing tool, but it gives a very good idea of what the phone can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Has anyone noticed there's been no update on the Apple Ireland website since this was announced? Bit strange considering....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

Think some people need to stand back and take stock here. You are getting, a WiFi device, an internet device , a mobile, an MP3 player,video, E mail on the move, camera, etc Is this not value for money? You are not just buying a phone here.If you have WiFi at home you will not eat into your IGb. As for 3G, EDGE is more than capable of handling anything you do with it. Seen it on EDGE in the States last year, and it flew along. Given the way the US market dictates what comes on these devices, can't see Apple beating themselves up to accommodate de Europeans!
    Go for it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

The iphone at the moment only has a 2mp camera..how good is it? My old 2mp camera phones were bad quality (k750) but I use the 3.2 on my k800 quite a lot. Will I miss out on quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sellphone wrote: »
    Think some people need to stand back and take stock here. You are getting, a WiFi device, an internet device , a mobile, an MP3 player,video, E mail on the move, camera, etc Is this not value for money? You are not just buying a phone here.If you have WiFi at home you will not eat into your IGb.

Whoa, take a step back there for a minute. A lot phones sold by Nokia/SE have those capabilities, at a much lower price. And they don't require you to sign up for an 18 month contract at €45 a month. Apple took a fairly average spec phone and put an incredible interface on it and hyped it up to the last.
    Sellphone wrote: »
    Given the way the US market dictates what comes on these devices, can't see Apple beating themselves up to accommodate de Europeans!
    Go for it!:)

Now you are talking silly. The US does not lead the way with mobile phones, Europe does. I don't want to turn this into an iPhone vs. Nokia/SE debate, but I don't think you have looked at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Whoa, take a step back there for a minute. A lot phones sold by Nokia/SE have those capabilities, at a much lower price. And they don't require you to sign up for an 18 month contract at €45 a month. Apple took a fairly average spec phone and put an incredible interface on it and hyped it up to the last.

Now you are talking silly. The US does not lead the way with mobile phones, Europe does. I don't want to turn this into an iPhone vs. Nokia/SE debate, but I don't think you have looked at the bigger picture.
    "incredible interface", there's the thing.Regarding Apple/US v. Europe/Nokia+ericsson etc., reality is that Apple is an American company, which will look at it's home market first.The Mac and it's latest add ons, i.e. Apple TV, were with the American market in mind in the first instance.
    And the Apple marketing machine might have an input as well.As for the monthly charges, as someone said already, Apple pretty much has dictated this to O2. Bon appetit!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

. O2 Ireland will charge iPhone users a hefty 15c/minute charge for message playback."

Speaks for itself :rolleyes:

Taking money from irish mobile users must be like candy from a baby to mobile operators.

o2's default price plans charge all customers to access their voicemail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

I read in the business section of The irish Times yesterday (Friday) that there's an allowence of 12gb of data for the iphone. They even quoted an O2 spokesperson who said they felt 12gb was enough.
    However, no time frame was mentioned for the quota such as 12gb a month or 12 gb a year. Maybe the spokesperson got the details mixed up and the journo didn't bother pushing for details.

If you have a sub for the I. Times website, here's the link:
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0229/1204212880183.html

its 1gb a month, 12 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

ok,
    here is my question may be its silly question,
    but does iphone have gps builtin? as i can see map on its add.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

wasim21k wrote: »
    ok,
    here is my question may be its silly question,
    but does iphone have gps builtin? as i can see map on its add.

No, what you're seeing is the phone using triangulation between the phone masts to acquire a rough fix on where you are. No where near as accurate as GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I see a few people on here are saying the tarrifs are ok. I'm sorry but you are being stupid. In the Sunday Business post there is a write up on the packages. As they say it we are paying 4 to 5 times what people are paying up North. We pay more for less.

Advertisement