Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Solair wrote: »
    It's likely that O2 Ireland will launch it here, given their existing relationship with Apple i.e. they had the Motorola ROKR (the only iTunes compatable 3rd party phone) and also they've a tight relationship with Apple at a retail level i.e. the mini Apple stores in the O2 experience stores...

Also, there's a synergy between the UK advertising campaigns and the Irish ones so it makes absolute sense for them to go with it.

i.e. people here see UK ads and they help any Irish campaign.

It could be a case that O2 Ireland will launch it when the next version comes out and use it to spur on a 3G drive. I can't see apple not launching a 3G version..

what "synergy" is that though (sorry, Buckminster Fuller rip): that it was a relative flop in the UK? So much so that you can get unlocked ones in london for £250 even if you aren't looking for one? Or that UK O2 execs called it a bit of a flop? Reall good reasons for Apple to go with them lol... The apple experieence in O2 stores? Who doesn't sell ipods? Maybe Jobs will go with Xtravision? In fact, why not tesco? They have synergy with O2 who have synergy with apple...tri-nergy??? O.k., o.k., sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

8GB model for €399

16GB model for €499

Happy days, I better get saving! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Where've you heard this info mate??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Where've you heard this info mate??

Yeah?
    No prepay? Oh wait, will it have i-mode hahaha... Damn, I hate O2!

A friend works in their office in Limerick. She just got a mail about it and the ad is on all the screens in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

I heard it on radio one this morning, they mentioned that O2 were going to officially announce the iPhone in Ireland today. (Atleast I think thats what they said, I was more than half asleep at the time). I didnt hear them mention an actually release date though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Any priceplan info released?

None yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

why do we accept getting ripped off in this country. Its one thing paying a huge amount more than US customers, but to pay a significant premium over people in Britain..... i mean wtf?

I was going to get the 16gb iphone off 02 up north today for 435 euro. But i think that would be a bit stupid with the impending annoucement from 02 Ireland. I currently have a bill phone with 02 and i am on the €35 a month tariff - no way im paying more than that for one of the new tariffs they bring out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CountBlogg

O2 are launching the iPhone today in the Republic, 12:15 Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

why do we accept getting ripped off in this country. Its one thing paying a huge amount more than US customers, but to pay a significant premium over people in Britain..... i mean wtf?

I was going to get the 16gb iphone off 02 up north today for 435 euro. But i think that would be a bit stupid with the impending annoucement from 02 Ireland. I currently have a bill phone with 02 and i am on the €35 a month tariff - no way im paying more than that for one of the new tariffs they bring out
    Its the same price for the handset as in France or Germany. It wouldn't make sense for them to lower the Euro price for one country alone, would it?

iphone Tariffs will start at €45 a month :rolleyes:

didnt realise it was that price in france. Take a look at this, might give some kind of indication into the price plans:
    http://www.apple.com/fr/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

dont know what to do tbh, want to get the 16gb iphone and there is obvious advantages to getting it on 02 here in Ireland. But if the minimum contract is €50 i may have to look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Can't see this selling well at those prices!

What's their target market?
    Doesn't handle corporate email, way too overpriced for your average tech/gadget geek.

cheerspal wrote: »
    iphone Tariffs will start at €45 a month :rolleyes:
    i suppose i could stretch to €45 a month, suppose it depends on how many free texts and minutes are included

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

CountBlogg wrote: »
    O2 are launching the iPhone today in the Republic, 12:15 Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin.

Launching or releasing a press release? There's a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i suppose i could stretch to €45 a month, suppose it depends on how many free texts and minutes are included

thats gonna be the clincher alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

it has been announced and will launch on the 14th of march. 4gb 399 8gb 499. it can be preordered from tommorow.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Silicon Republic story

28.02.2008 - O2 Ireland will today emerge as the exclusive carrier for the long-awaited Apple iPhone, siliconrepublic.com can reveal.
    In the company’s fourth quarter key performance indicators (KPIs) out today, O2 confirmed that it will be the exclusive Irish carrier for Apple's revolutionary iPhone.

The much anticipated device will make its official debut in Ireland on 14 March 14th.

The iPhone will be sold in Ireland through O2 retail stores. The device will also be available through Carphone Warehouse retail stores.

According to the O2 KPIs, the iPhone will be available in an 8GB model for €399 (inc VAT) and a 16GB model for €499 (inc VAT) and will work with either a PC or Mac.

“Three new iPhone tariffs will be available from O2, starting at €45, all of which will include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle,” the company said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Probably very little if the UK tariffs are any indication. You'd be mad to get one in March as well seeing as the phone will be coming up on a year old.

As a phone I still don't rate it, my current set up of a touch and nokia is far more ideal.

Probably very little if the UK tariffs are any indication. You'd be mad to get one in March as well seeing as the phone will be coming up on a year old.

As a phone I still don't rate it, my current set up of a touch and nokia is far more ideal.
    why, i wasnt under the impression Apple are launching a iphone v2 any time soon?

My current tariff includes 180 free minutes and 120 free texts each month for €35 - not a hope of me getting the iphone if the €45 tariff dosnt improve on that

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

I wonder if you will be able to sign up for the iPhone plan without buying an iPhone from O2. For example if you buy an iPhone from the US, unlock it and sign up for the O2 iPhone plan will everything work ok including visual voicemail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CountBlogg

Silicon Republic story

28.02.2008 - O2 Ireland will today emerge as the exclusive carrier for the long-awaited Apple iPhone, siliconrepublic.com can reveal.
    In the company’s fourth quarter key performance indicators (KPIs) out today, O2 confirmed that it will be the exclusive Irish carrier for Apple's revolutionary iPhone.

The much anticipated device will make its official debut in Ireland on 14 March 14th.

The iPhone will be sold in Ireland through O2 retail stores. The device will also be available through Carphone Warehouse retail stores.

According to the O2 KPIs, the iPhone will be available in an 8GB model for €399 (inc VAT) and a 16GB model for €499 (inc VAT) and will work with either a PC or Mac.

“Three new iPhone tariffs will be available from O2, starting at €45, all of which will include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle,” the company said.

Good work cyberspider

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

mak78 wrote: »
    I wonder if you will be able to sign up for the iPhone plan without buying an iPhone from O2. For example if you buy an iPhone from the US, unlock it and sign up for the O2 iPhone plan will everything work ok including visual voicemail...

be interested to know that aswell.....would u have ongoing issues with the phone locking with each firmware update???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

mak78 wrote: »

I'd say that would be a no no. Apple would not be too keen on O2 supporting unlocked iPhones. Apple themselves have been doing everything to alienate the process of unlocking their devices. I'd imagine they have the exlusivity contract with o2 locked up so tight that they are prevented from doing that. I'm not up to speed on tarriffs but maybe there is another tarriff that woud suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it was hard to keep a straight face at a certain presentation yesterday given by o2.

they didn't specifically mention the iphone but let just say there were major hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

why, i wasnt under the impression Apple are launching a iphone v2 any time soon?

My current tariff includes 180 free minutes and 120 free texts each month for €35 - not a hope of me getting the iphone if the €45 tariff dosnt improve on that

If Apple want to stay competitive they have to release new phones at least once a year. Sales have stagnating in the States and they need something to reach the 10 million mark. Nokia, SE refresh their line-up every six months. That is the nature of the phone market and Apple know this. Apple will more than likely follow the iPod model where there is a major revision every year with the possibility of a small upgrade (memory) every six months.

It's pretty much a given that the 3G iPhone is coming out sooner rather than later. Gizmodo, Engadget and macrumors all agree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seanatron

Monthly charge (incl VAT) €45 €65 €100
    Anytime minutes included 175 350 700
    Texts included 100 150 250
    Data included 1GB 1GB 1GB
    Additional texts 10C 10C 10C
    Additional calls 20C 20C 20C
    Additional Data 2c per MB
    Voicemail 15C

Advertisement