Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone launch 14th March on O2 Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seanatron

seanatron wrote: »
    Monthly charge (incl VAT) €45 €65 €100
    Anytime minutes included 175 350 700
    Texts included 100 150 250
    Data included 1GB 1GB 1GB
    Additional texts 10C 10C 10C
    Additional calls 20C 20C 20C
    Additional Data 2c per MB
    Voicemail 15C

That didn't paste in very well sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

seanatron wrote: »
    Monthly charge (incl VAT) €45 €65 €100
    Anytime minutes included 175 350 700
    Texts included 100 150 250
    Data included 1GB 1GB 1GB
    Additional texts 10C 10C 10C
    Additional calls 20C 20C 20C
    Additional Data 2c per MB
    Voicemail 15C
    thanks, if this is true then thats pretty much made my mind up

Hmm let me see - pay €500 and get 5 less minutes and 20 less txts each month all for an extra €10 on top of my current tariff..... only in ****ing Ireland

Think i will get one up North

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

is it ridiculous to ask if this will be available pay as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

podge018 wrote: »
    is it ridiculous to ask if this will be available pay as you go?

There's no chance you'll see this on payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

I'd say that would be a no no. Apple would not be too keen on O2 supporting unlocked iPhones. Apple themselves have been doing everything to alienate the process of unlocking their devices. I'd imagine they have the exlusivity contract with o2 locked up so tight that they are prevented from doing that. I'm not up to speed on tarriffs but maybe there is another tarriff that woud suit?

Yeah your probably right - from Apples point of view it would be a no no, but from O2s point of view they would sign up a good few extra customers to expensive plans. I wouldn't imagine O2 are making much if anything on selling the actual phone itself anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

When you ring 1909 you are now greeted with a for more information on the iphone press 1.

Just spoke to an O2 cust care agent and he sees no reason why you can't sign up for the new iPhone plan without buying the phone - e.g. if you porting from VF,Meteor etc. just ask to be put on that plan. And he reckons if you have an iPhone from elsewhere and you put you new O2 sim in it you should have access to all iPhone services on O2. Should be of use for anyone who has an unlocked here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

mak78 wrote: »
    Just spoke to an O2 cust care agent and he sees no reason why you can't sign up for the new iPhone plan without buying the phone - e.g. if you porting from VF,Meteor etc. just ask to be put on that plan. And he reckons if you have an iPhone from elsewhere and you put you new O2 sim in it you should have access to all iPhone services on O2. Should be of use for anyone who has an unlocked here already.

that needs to be seen to be believed, i've lost count of the amount of times i've been told stuff by costomer care agents, only to find the opposite is true.....if he's right though, nice one ;)

Yep - need proof that this will be the case. Anyone with experience of this from the UK care to comment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

588_boston.jpg

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed yet it states on the o2 site visual voicemail is currently not supported...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

will i be able to get it on an upgrade, i have a plat upgrade waiting to be used, anyone got any idea of prices if i can?

brightkane wrote: »
    will i be able to get it on an upgrade, i have a plat upgrade waiting to be used, anyone got any idea of prices if i can?

No its same price for both new and existing customers as its not subsidised from the network. Full details are now up on the O2 Site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Anyone know if what is the minimum length of the 02 contract is with the iPhone? In the US, it's 2 years on AT&T. I hope it's not the same case with O2! By then, the iPhone would be long time out of date as a 3G version should be launched later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

18 month contract according to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

3G iPhone with Infineon chip to be released by mid-year?
    LONDON (MarketWatch) -- German chipmaker Infineon Technologies AG (DE:623100 5.38, -0.04, -0.7%) (IFX:IFX 8.19, +0.04, +0.5%) will likely be supplying the new systems solution to Apple Inc.'s (AAPL 122.96, +3.81, +3.2%) next-generation iPhone, UBS analysts told clients in a note published Thursday.

The broker said this is not yet the consensus view and could be a positive catalyst for the stock. It also believes that 3G-enabled iPhones will be released by mid-year and that the current EDGE iPhone platform is being ramped down earlier than expected to "clean" inventories.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/3g-iphone-include-infineon-chip/story.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

mak78 wrote: »

Confirmed there that this is NOT the case. Tarriff only available to o2 iphones purchased from o2 ireland and will be checked. Still could buy an iphone, sell it and buy a different phone altogether;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

tibor wrote: »
    3G iPhone with Infineon chip to be released by mid-year?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/3g-iphone-include-infineon-chip/story.aspx

Assuming it's coming and assuming Ireland will get it, do you think they will launch the 3g iPhone at the same time worldwide, or will Apple give US a 10 month headstart as before?

Then, if one was to buy an iPhone now, what would the second hand market be like for an EDGE iphone on O2 in a year's time?

I kind of use 3G now, but it's not a requirement for me. I probably wouldn't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

This is turning out to be a joke. Nuts prices and no visual voicemail.

You can add unlimited data to a 3 contract for 19.99 a month. Better to unlock a phone and do that.

• Advertisement

on an unlocked phone, is everything else available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The tariffs are a lot better than here in Germany, but still a rip off! You can pick up a new iphone for €250 in the US and unlock it to any tariff you want. Can't see O2 getting much business out of this deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

am i the only one that if i bought an iphone would never get near using a gig a month on the thing, thats alot of browsing, emailing and youtubing??? if i want to do some serious downloading, i'll use my broadband connection.

are people pissed off with the fact of just being limited, or is it that they would actually go over this monthly cap regularly??

i'm not supporting O2's cap, just curious as to what kind of uses people were hoping to put the iphone to require a few gigs a month??

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

You'll get all the people who get pulled in by the hype rushing to get the iPhone now. I would love an iPhone, but only if it had:

1. 3G
    2. Minimum of a 3.2MP Camera
    3. Flash support in Safari Browser (I have the iTouch and this is really annoying)
    4. Same Tarrifs as all other phones. At the end of the day, the iPhone is expensive so you shouldn't have to also pay more for your tarrif.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Bubonic wrote: »
    This is turning out to be a joke. Nuts prices and no visual voicemail.

You can add unlimited data to a 3 contract for 19.99 a month. Better to unlock a phone and do that.

Can anyone tell me what visual voicemail is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

LFCFan wrote: »
    You'll get all the people who get pulled in by the hype rushing to get the iPhone now. I would love an iPhone, but only if it had:

1. 3G
    2. Minimum of a 3.2MP Camera
    3. Flash support in Safari Browser (I have the iTouch and this is really annoying)
    4. Same Tarrifs as all other phones. At the end of the day, the iPhone is expensive so you shouldn't have to also pay more for your tarrif.

And not forgetting the one vital ingredient (for me, at least): FM radio.

I'm of two minds about the iPhone. I love gadgets, but not at €45 a month, plus €400. And this is coming from somebody who paid €700 for a gadget phone a year and a bit ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

What I don't understand and this has been done for ages is, how do people get out of the contract?. I have never physically walked in to a store in the US and purchased an IPhone, but I assume that I would have to sign a contract before I leave. Then using jailbreaking, activating, unlocking, etc as far as I know doesn't the contract still exist. I mean if I bought the phone, brought it straight home and unlocked it, wouldn't there be a paper trail somewhere that would show something is a bit odd, and the phone that was purchased and signed up to some provider on a longish contract is no longer connecting to that provider, but one of its compeditors.

Could someone please clear this up for me.

@KJF: Visual voicemail is the ability to see a list of voicemail messages on your phone's screen, and simply select the one you want to play back. So for example if you have 5 messages and you want to listen to the 3rd, you don't have to listen to the first 2 messages first. You can simply select the 3rd, like an audio track on a CD. It's nice, but not available here yet. There's vids on youtube showing off this functionality too.

The 45 euro per month is also covering you voice calls and SMS. Even you didnt have an iPhone you'd probably be paying 35 euro for a voice a text plan. The 1GB limit is fine for 99% of people using it for email,web,etc.. (Agreed its a bit petty of O2 to cap it but if it doesn't affect you then so what). If you want to download large files or whatever then use the WIFI, or your home broadband. I'm assuming that anyone who has an iPhone already has broadband of some sort.

In my opinion its not the cost of the plan thats expensive - its just the iPhone itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

ve wrote: »
    What I don't understand and this has been done for ages is, how do people get out of the contract?. I have never physically walked in to a store in the US and purchased an IPhone, but I assume that I would have to sign a contract before I leave. Then using jailbreaking, activating, unlocking, etc as far as I know doesn't the contract still exist. I mean if I bought the phone, brought it straight home and unlocked it, wouldn't there be a paper trail somewhere that would show something is a bit odd, and the phone that was purchased and signed up to some provider on a longish contract is no longer connecting to that provider, but one of its compeditors.

Could someone please clear this up for me..

You don't have to sign any contract before you buy the phone

• Advertisement

ve wrote: »

Could someone please clear this up for me.

@KJF: Visual voicemail is the ability to see a list of voicemail messages on your phone's screen, and simply select the one you want to play back. So for example if you have 5 messages and you want to listen to the 3rd, you don't have to listen to the first 2 messages first. You can simply select the 3rd, like an audio track on a CD. It's nice, but not available here yet. There's vids on youtube showing off this functionality too.

You don't sign a contract when you buy one. It comes in a box like an iPod. Theres an AT&T SIM in it but just throw that away. The registration process with AT&T is all done via iTunes once you turn the thing on with the AT&T SIM in it and launch iTunes. If you don't do this then theres no record of you.

Advertisement