Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EB1979

Does anyone know where to get sylvette cloths from

Hi - you can get them in nearly any jewellers, I had one from Beaverbrooks, it was fab for bulling (not that I was ever any good at it!). Beware though there is a difference between gold and silver ones and I can't remeber which is better. Tights are really good for a final shine. A final light layer of dark tan is supposed to finish them really well too, but I haven't tried that. Stay away from Klear and silcon sprays - way more hassle than they are worth!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

PSNI you said to take wooden hangers, would plastic not do? My house is coming down with them!! In fact I could supply hangers to everyone going into Garnerville............ever :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Nope. Plastic hangers are too flimsy and leave indentations in your stuff. Get the wooden ones. They're strong and sturdy.

Damn!!

Anyone need any plastic hangers? They'll make a cracker xmas present :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nursey

checked out starting in GV thread....got a shopping list about a mile long!! better get started

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 von clinkerhoff

Sewing kit with needle and thread. The hems on the trousers are rubbish and 9 times out of 10 you'll lose a button on a shirt the first time you have it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mellofunk

Not sure if this has been asked before but do we always have to wear the PE kit at the gym or, if we've finished classes for the day and are doing our own work out, can we wear our own training gear (e.g. canterbury track bottoms)?

we can wear our own gear, you only have to wear pe kit during pe and any fitness assessments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Valky

Yep, like poppysox said I think :) only thing to make sure is that your own gear has no uni/team logos on them. I'm assuming a wee brand name is ok though, like Nike or whatever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GV09

You wear the transuit to PE lessons etc and at other specific times. If your using the gym you can wear your own kit, as long as it is neutral; sports brands like nike, reebok are fine.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I'd be grateful for a bit of advice. I've been looking for black commando socks as advised on this thread but even online can't find them in ladies' sizes. Any suggestions of where to look or even just a good alternative? Cheers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Oh yeah. Them's the ones.

Brilliant, thanks for that. A touch embarrassed that I didn't find them myself in my own googling extravaganza:o cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 peter_green

military surplus stores are great places to get bits and bobs like that

sylvet cloths - http://www.globalmilitarysupplies.co.uk/inc/sdetail/2234

Is anyone (like PSNI) able to confirm if you are allowed to wear Magnum boots - i know my ex's brother in Lothian and Borders was told they weren't because they don't give "adequate" ankle support

You only wear the kit you're issued. There are people who buy their own kit when they get to their stations, but if you have an accident and you weren't wearing what you were issued by the organisation, you're on your own in more ways than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BelfastBear

Starting Hotel G in Feb, I'm nervous as hell about sharing a room with someone else. I've been told I make all sorts of weird noises in my sleep from talking out loud to grunting and snoring...

God help my bunk mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pcpete2009

Starting Hotel G in Feb, I'm nervous as hell about sharing a room with someone else. I've been told I make all sorts of weird noises in my sleep from talking out loud to grunting and snoring...

God help my bunk mate.

Oh god I hope it ain't me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BelfastBear

Pcpete2009 wrote: »
    Oh god I hope it ain't me!!!!

Sorry if it is! Was lovely to meet Blue squad today as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spud09

Just a quick note since I've just finished residential. Get a cheap sleeping bag and seep in it on top of the duvet. Saves 10 minutes in the morning making your bed. And only bring BLACK KIWI POLISH. No parade gloss, no other brands. Drill staff don't like it. And bring a few yellow dusters to polish your boots with but wash them a few times 1st so all the loose fabric comes off. I made that mistake......it was horrible........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cat28

Thanks for the tips spud 09, ill keep them in mind! Starting hotel g in march, and cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

If you're a smoker, is it ok to bring a lot of cigarettes to Garnerville to sustain you for the duration of your stay? Or do they frown upon having a lot of tobacco stashed in your room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Keep them in your wardrobe / press - keep it locked and nobody need ever know ( apart from your roomie );)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

Cashflow wrote: »
    If you're a smoker, is it ok to bring a lot of cigarettes to Garnerville to sustain you for the duration of your stay? Or do they frown upon having a lot of tobacco stashed in your room?

your either one hell of a smoker or your not planning on leaving garnerville until graduation LoL. tesco is only around the corner and your actually allowed outside the walls each evening if you have no talks etc etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spud09

Make sure you bring plenty to diversity training. You cant leave the site your at for 3 days so no ciggie runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hollyoaks

can i ask how much your monthly pay is up at garnerville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeybo89

Hi got the call in feb that id be joining garnerville in march, :D:D "cant wait" ;), however i cannot drive and am seriously nervous as i have no idea of the police regultions. Ive just got my provisional, but will i need to learn quickly , or will the psni help me through it, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    :confused::confused:

Michael

No, you need a full licence. If you don't have it, you don't do the driving course.
    mickeybo89 wrote: »
    Hi got the call in feb that id be joining garnerville in march, :D:D "cant wait" ;), however i cannot drive and am seriously nervous as i have no idea of the police regultions. Ive just got my provisional, but will i need to learn quickly , or will the psni help me through it, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    :confused::confused:

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeybo89

I assume being without a licence will greatly prohibit my progression within the force?

Furthermore Do you know if there is any intensive driving schools about?

• Advertisement

I assume being without a licence will greatly prohibit my progression within the force?

It will inhibit your chances of success if you're looking to apply for positions where a full driving licence is required.
    Furthermore Do you know if there is any intensive driving schools about?

Where is "about"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bet.88

quick question for the girls already in gv! for the SID u wear a suit! then the first day u start the suit comes out again!? for the 3 days away wat is the dress code?! casual? or suited and booted again?? this whole dress code is confusin me....:(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

bet.88 wrote: »
    quick question for the girls already in gv! for the SID u wear a suit! then the first day u start the suit comes out again!? for the 3 days away wat is the dress code?! casual? or suited and booted again?? this whole dress code is confusin me....:(:eek:

Im not a girl but I can still answer your question :D First day is suit, next three days is casual clothing. I was in jeans and t-shirt / hoodies etc for mine.

bet.88 wrote: »

You're whisked away to a secret location for your first 3 days after intake sunday, and its pretty much just wear whatever you want. And be prepared to eat a lot of baked goods and drink untold gallons of tea/coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jon1972

Bet, you will be first invited to an Induction day about 2 weeks before your start date. This Induction day is usually a Monday. You will get a tour and staff will tell you what they expect. This day guys and gals you need smart dress. Trouser suites for gals, suites for guys. For the guys - get a good hair cut, remove goaties, tashs, elvis sideburns etc. You will be seriously embarrassed if you turn up anything different.Look presentable because first impressions do last. You will be measured this day for uniforms. On the Intake day usually a Sunday wear present same image and wear smart dress. The next few days you may not be in the college, the next few days casual dress is fine for the team building tasks. On your return to Garnerville it will then be Uniform as will the rest of the 20 odd weeks. Also try and get out of the habit of txt spk cos you will be marked down on paperwork, which has happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

Hey all, just got the call for August, was just wondering if anyone knew the pay scale these days? i seen one online that said £21,500 ish but somone had told me this had went up since the Northern ireland allowence (or whatever its called) has been removed. Thinking that i might move back in with the folks for training if it would be financially benificial but not sure!

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

jonnym61 wrote: »
    Hey all, just got the call for August, was just wondering if anyone knew the pay scale these days? i seen one online that said £12,500 ish but somone had told me this had went up since the Northern ireland allowence (or whatever its called) has been removed. Thinking that i might move back in with the folks for training if it would be financially benificial but not sure!

cheers

I think Cashflow said the take home pay during training is around £1400 and salaries are reviewed each September.

Depending on which of the various benefits and services you sign up for (believe me, there are a LOT) and any other personal circumstances (student loan etc.), the actual amount each person will be paid varies quite a bit. I have a student loan, and signed up for the majority of the services (not all, I'd have nothing left if I had done that) and took home around £1400. People who had not availed themselves of as much stuff as I had, and who didn't have student loans were hitting more in the mid 1500's.

That doesn't factor in that every day you're given about a tenner or so to spend on food as you see fit, so tack on another 200 notes onto that. Unless you don't enjoy the delicious food that Garnerville serves. In which case prepare to stock your fridge with more 5 alive than you ever thought possible.
    jclegs wrote: »
    I think Cashflow said the take home pay during training is around £1400 and salaries are reviewed each September.

Cashflow wrote: »
    Depending on which of the various benefits and services you sign up for (believe me, there are a LOT) and any other personal circumstances (student loan etc.), the actual amount each person will be paid varies quite a bit. I have a student loan, and signed up for the majority of the services (not all, I'd have nothing left if I had done that) and took home around £1400. People who had not availed themselves of as much stuff as I had, and who didn't have student loans were hitting more in the mid 1500's.

That doesn't factor in that every day you're given about a tenner or so to spend on food as you see fit, so tack on another 200 notes onto that. Unless you don't enjoy the delicious food that Garnerville serves. In which case prepare to stock your fridge with more 5 alive than you ever thought possible.
    Cheers for that Cashflow!!!

since the Northern ireland allowence (or whatever its called) has been removed.

It hasnt, at least they're still paying it to me!

This may seem like a stupid question, but its been on my mind so i thought i would ask. I understand that we get our uniform the first day and it has to be worn at all times, but what exactly is the uniform while training? Im assuming its just a pair of green trousers, boots and a white shirt, is there any more to it than that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Probably something like the picture on the PSNI website:

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers.htm

This may seem like a stupid question, but its been on my mind so i thought i would ask. I understand that we get our uniform the first day and it has to be worn at all times, but what exactly is the uniform while training? Im assuming its just a pair of green trousers, boots and a white shirt, is there any more to it than that?

When I was there the uniform was decided by the class leader. Unless he/she is a complete tool it will be a consensus of what the class wants. You will of course be wearing the boots and green trousers.

Depending on the time of the year you will be in either short sleeve shirt and no tie or long sleeve with black tie. Then you have the choice of jumper, fleece, or neither.

Its all about uniformity so the class leader will decide and the whole class has to be dressed the same.

I would imagine that hasnt changed any.

Aye, its the same as that now. At the moment its short sleeve shirts (with your squad flashings on the shoulder), trousers,boots and yer hat.

For certain practicals you'll be in your high-vis jacket, and for others you'll be wearing your gun-belt (basically you belt with all your kit on it).

However, by the time the next intake rolls in, the weather will be changing once more, so the uniform will revert to long sleeve shirt, tie and fleece.
    BoutYe wrote: »
    When I was there the uniform was decided by the class leader. Unless he/she is a complete tool it will be a consensus of what the class wants. You will of course be wearing the boots and green trousers.

Depending on the time of the year you will be in either short sleeve shirt and no tie or long sleeve with black tie. Then you have the choice of jumper, fleece, or neither.

Its all about uniformity so the class leader will decide and the whole class has to be dressed the same.

I would imagine that hasnt changed any.

Have another question for you folks, this might seem a bit premature considering i havent even started training never mind graduated, but once you graduate and get placed and start working as such, how soon and stuff or how hard is it to book holidays?

Friends already starting to talk about booking summit for next year and wondering how im gonna be fixed!

Cheers again!

Hey all, need some advice from somone here, as i have said before i have been offered a place in august intake which i happily accepted, thing is, last monday i was playing football and went over on my ankle, went to a&e and doc told me i had damaged the ligaments and it would be 6 weeks before i could do anything but walk again, now without going into dates thats gonna be cutting it pretty close to starting and im starting to get concerned! I am fit, have been working on it all year and was just about convinced that i was at a high enough standard where i wouldnt struggle, now im worried that after sitting on my ass for 6 weeks im gonna lose a lot of that fitness and not get it back in time!

So thats my story, now the advice i need is this, is it possible for me to ring them and defer to the next intake because of injury? or are they likley to want me to do another medical again? or just how might they react to this in general, im a little concerned to be honest!

Anything u good people can tell me would be great!

RICE it

Rest it to avoid further injury
    Ice it for pain relief and to get the swelling down
    Compress it to stop the swelling from doing any further damage
    Elevate it to disperse the swelling

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

If you reckon that you will have sufficiently recovered by intake day I wouldn't bother. Trust me on the fitness, if you've been working all year on fitness you should still be fine. There will definately be at least two or three people in your class who will be stupid enough to not do any fitness so you'll be far from the worst. A girl in mine couldn't get past level three in the bleep test which is disgraceful. just concentrate on getting through the recovery in time for august and you should be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

the swimming pool is your friend also.

I broke my ankle last year and i was able to continue swimming, so im sure a few stretched ligaments arent gonna stop you being able to swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

psni wrote: »
    Compress it to stop the swelling from doing any further damage

i was told this was a big NO NO when i busted my already weak ankle (see above) earlier this year. The Dr at Heath Hospital in Cardiff told me that you have to let it swell naturally, as this is natures defence mechanism, if you restrict the swelling it just moves the fluid elsewhere which can lead to more severe pain.

i was told this was a big NO NO when i busted my already weak ankle (see above) earlier this year. The Dr at Heath Hospital in Cardiff told me that you have to let it swell naturally, as this is natures defence mechanism, if you restrict the swelling it just moves the fluid elsewhere which can lead to more severe pain.

Yea i work with district nurses and i asked them for something to strap it up again and they were like no way compression is your enemy lol just gonna take it easy and be careful what i eat so i dont put on any weight and work upper body in gym and try swim if i can without doing any more damage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement