Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

He's a big boy!;)

You know what they say??!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Maybe we should continue this on the general thread, psni will shout if he sees what has happened his starting GV soon thread:(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

sorrryyyy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

Maybe we should continue this on the general thread, psni will shout if he sees what has happened his starting GV soon thread:(:o

Soz PYG:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

god im so confused lol am i correct in saying that in the SID you to the circuit thing and push pull test? lol i cant rember the proper name...my heads away lol

if that is the case do they give you something to wear to do this in or do you bring stuff with u?

or is my head reallyyy badddllllyyyyy away? lol
    :confused:
    x

As far as I know all that stuff isn't until the training begins. I think at the induction we just go wearing suits and they spend most of the day trying to put us off turning up on the real day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Marks & Spencers do Small, Regular & Long for suit jackets up to size 46. They will also lower the cuffs for about £15 via a local tailor.

They also do suit trousers up to 35" leg, again they will also do a let down.

This will let you mix & match better fitting jackets & trousers.

Cheers

i was in M&S and they only have long suits, but even then, then longs are farr too small on the arm length. ive no problems with the trousers, its just the jacket part thats really really difficult to get. lou pm'd me a place ill try during the week. and theres another place a few miles up the road that do good suits apparently according to my mum.

if i got size 46 chest with long arms, the arms are just about ok, but then ive got the issue of a huge jacket on me. i do plan to put alot of muscle mass on in the next few months - year, but i will need something in the meantime when im still the size i am. cheers for the reply! ps - i hope thats general o'neill that your name refers too haha ;)

The only place I know of apart from where you've tried is this place in East Belfast:

http://www.all-sizes.co.uk/

Actually from having a quick glance it seems to be aimed mainly at chubsters, but it couldn't hurt to ask them.

god im so confused lol am i correct in saying that in the SID you to the circuit thing and push pull test? lol i cant rember the proper name...my heads away lol

if that is the case do they give you something to wear to do this in or do you bring stuff with u?

or is my head reallyyy badddllllyyyyy away? lol
    :confused:
    x

Think you have lost the plot (or plod as bc would say). As testa says SID is a 'suit day' with talks etc. Nothing physical. Relax!!

• Advertisement

goodnes me i really am going to be PC Plod lol or PC poo as im getting called at the mo lol

so... when do they do the physical part then? i thought they done one before you started G/ville??:confused:

I may be completely wrong, but I think they make you do the first 5k run in the first couple of weeks to assess your fitness and what training you'll need.

I'm actually really looking forward to the pressure of it all, I haven't had any competitive edge to working out since I quit boxing, and that was 12 years ago!

goodnes me i really am going to be PC Plod lol or PC poo as im getting called at the mo lol

so... when do they do the physical part then? i thought they done one before you started G/ville??:confused:
    haha. thats mean. i honestly dunno, youll be fine for it if you do some weights and start running if you havent been out already. youve got loadsa extra time before you start so you could be top dog by the time you get in!

Or PC Plum.

Im not sure, I think you do the PCA in the 1st or 2nd week.

well i ran two miles the other day, done it in 25 mins but my god i died for the next to days i couldnt even walk lol

but hey no pain no gain so my next time doing the run will be tomorrow and im looking forward to it but im not looking forward to trying to get out of bed the next day lol

smyff ur going to have to meet me at the gates of Gville when i start im going to be a bag of nerves lol i keep sitting and getting big waves of excitment and then big waves of nerves lol

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

I cant remember exactly when it was but at some point in the first or second week you'll have your "Intro to PE" class where you'll do a bleep test. Within the first few weeks you will have done the PCA for the first time and if i remember correctly you'll do the 5K run maybe around week 6 i think.

Whenever it happens to be, you'll do the 5k twice and the PCA 3 times over the 21 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TequilaYuen

Hi everyone, first post, but have been accepted into the August intake!! :D

So excited, quick question though. Whats the best way of getting there? :confused: I don't have a car, so what's best bus/taxi/train? I would be going from south Belfast direction.

Again, can't wait to meet some of you guys there, have been a lurker for awhile here! :):)

There are a couple of ways to get there - get the train to Sydenham, but there's a hefty walk of about half an hour from there.
    Probably better is to get the bus. I'm pretty sure it's the number 27 from Donegal square West that goes up the old holywood road from the couple of times I've been on it. That should leave you within a couple of minutes walk from Garnerville. I would check on the translink website for times, as the number 3 and number 28 are the usual buses heading to Knocknagoney, and neither goes up that direction. You could get them to the Holywood Road, and that would leave about a 15 minute walk.

i would ask on the induction day if it were possible to stay the full 21 weeks possibly?! getting buses and trains would take ages and its not really the safest way to travel! having to carry things like uniform or what not every day to g'ville. even though its in a suit bag etc. dunno if id get a taxi. its really just best to ask on the induction day i cant think of anything!

i dunno how i would live without my car!

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, first post, but have been accepted into the August intake!! :D

So excited, quick question though. Whats the best way of getting there? :confused: I don't have a car, so what's best bus/taxi/train? I would be going from south Belfast direction.

Again, can't wait to meet some of you guys there, have been a lurker for awhile here! :):)

Its a personal choice really. But I would go for a taxi rather than a bus or train, to much luggage for public transport, plus the school will be back in a few weeks. Personally for security I wouldnt get the taxi from my front door, I would arrange for it to pick me up at a the end of the road or somewhere else. I personally wouldnt want a taxi driver picking me up at my address and leaving me a GV. On a lighter note, when you start your training you will probably find that someone lives close to you or would be passing your way and you could get a lift with them.

Question- dont you want to be able to drive as a peeler? Maybe you're
    waiting to do your test orsomething?!

I can't drive either, I was about to do it when I moved to Spain for a few years, then when I came back I lived in the city centre so I never really had the need for one. It never bothered me at all until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I can't drive either, I was about to do it when I moved to Spain for a few years, then when I came back I lived in the city centre so I never really had the need for one. It never bothered me at all until now!

I cant fathom not being able to drive! I passed my test two months after my 17th birthday.....many many many moons ago lol:rolleyes:

Wow really Testa? Guess you are chasing all the crims on foot. LOL. I love driving, been at it 3 years and im only 20. Will you take lessons and your test or not bother?

I cant fathom not being able to drive! I passed my test two months after my 17th birthday.....many many many moons ago lol:rolleyes:
    still cant drive for **** either :P so ive been told...

been driving just over a year, but had my car 10months. ive done 11k already :eek::eek::eek: a few people said i should be a traffic cop :)

Im going to be a Roads Policing Officer. Let me in to GV first!!!

On the 'off topic' topic of mileage. Iv put 30,000 miles on my car in 2 years!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Oh this thread is SO getting cleaned up when I have a few hours to kill...

psni wrote: »
    Oh this thread is SO getting cleaned up when I have a few hours to kill...

:o:(

Wow really Testa? Guess you are chasing all the crims on foot. LOL. I love driving, been at it 3 years and im only 20. Will you take lessons and your test or not bother?

Yeah, I will hopefully do it this year if I get enough time off! I'm getting a wee 125cc motorbike in the next few weeks, but somehow I don't see me turning up on the Sunday I start on the bike - the rucksack I'll be carrying will be the same size as it!

Yeah, I will hopefully do it this year if I get enough time off! I'm getting a wee 125cc motorbike in the next few weeks, but somehow I don't see me turning up on the Sunday I start on the bike - the rucksack I'll be carrying will be the same size as it!

I can just imagin the squad all standing about and the officer in charge saying- 'Anyone seen Testa, is Testa here yet?' then in the background all they can here is you full throttle trying to get up the hill at Knocknagoney! LOL

Cant really see that working if im honest? Where would you put all your stuff? You cant just wear a suit on it, its not safe plus the fly splats would look awful. Have you not a friend or someone who could run you up? As I was saying to the other guy, you will probably meet someone who lives near you who you could hitch a lift with.

No high speed persuits for Testa and his R plates then! They'll give you a push bike

Just reading through the shopping list for GV there. Psni, you mentioned pens, file blocks etc, what about Lever arch files or are they provided?

Any other ideas of things to get from any insiders?

• Advertisement

125cc wouldnt sound bad if its a chopper. 50cc bikes however, eugh

Can anyone who has been/is in GV tell me if there is a mirror in the room? Just wondering, you know, got to see to put on the face and do the hair and make sure the uniform looks hot on me.

Can anyone who has been/is in GV tell me if there is a mirror in the room? Just wondering, you know, got to see to put on the face and do the hair and make sure the uniform looks hot on me.
    no make up allowed sorry. or at least, bare minimum is what ive heard. and for the hair, its to be tied up and under your hat at all times. show parade if one hair is out of place... so ive been told by a few people!

smyff wrote: »
    no make up allowed sorry. or at least, bare minimum is what ive heard. and for the hair, its to be tied up and under your hat at all times. show parade if one hair is out of place... so ive been told by a few people!

PC Inwaiting told me make up is allowed so I dont need to worry. You dont wear your hat all the time, so as long as your hair is up and tidy its ok.:P

Everyone still needs a mirror at the end of the day

PC Inwaiting told me make up is allowed so I dont need to worry. You dont wear your hat all the time, so as long as your hair is up and tidy its ok.:P

just not cake bake standards ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Some of us need a mirror at the start of the day too.

Things have changed since I was there, so I don't know if the lever arch folders are provided anymore or not.

There's a mirror in every room over the ensuite sink (guys, you know what I mean) and the girls are not allowed to wear any make up either. Hair must be tied back in a bun or up with clips.

psni wrote: »
    Some of us need a mirror at the start of the day too.

Things have changed since I was there, so I don't know if the lever arch folders are provided anymore or not.

There's a mirror in every room over the ensuite sink (guys, you know what I mean) and the girls are not allowed to wear any make up either. Hair must be tied back in a bun or up with clips.

Hate to argue with you psni, but a few from the inside and recently out of the factory say make up is fine.

I guess we can always go to Tesco's and get a file.

PS- i have heard the sink stories:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GollyMolly

Hate to argue with you psni, but a few from the inside and recently out of the factory say make up is fine.

I guess we can always go to Tesco's and get a file.

PS- i have heard the sink stories:eek:

Oh what's the stories?? Do the lads use them as urinals at night when they can't be bothered to leave the room???:eek:

GollyMolly wrote: »
    Oh what's the stories?? Do the lads use them as urinals at night when they can't be bothered to leave the room???:eek:

Yarp!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ShowParadeQueen

Yarp!:eek:

Not just the guys.... ;)

Make-up is allowed, but it HAS to be bare minumum. And not for the first few weeks. Show parades will be given out for make-up on parade. "Did you take your face to Spain for a week?" or "If you want to be a mode you're in the wrong place" has been uttered more than once... :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ShowParadeQueen

Some rooms have them, some don't. I'd bring one, just to be sure.

Some rooms have them, some don't. I'd bring one, just to be sure.
    best not to take tips from this person ;)

oh jesus ive over 1000 posts i am a victim

a true victim lol;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

When you first go into Garnerville you'll get alot of "twice the files if you can't drive" and "observer for 2 years" don't believe it I'm not a police driver and i'm not observer on every shift. Whoever your with is known as driver+ for some shifts where they'll be both driver and observer. So don't get stressed over it.

A particular company are security vetted and you'll be told to use them and only them. they're safe enough to call to and from Garnerville alot of times when I got them they were being driven by retired members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 breakingbad

Hello folks. Possibly been answered before but, anyone any tips on learning these verbatim? Im thinking maybe write them a gazillion billion times or maybe recording them and listening back. How's everyone else approaching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tumsuf09

Hi guys got the call, nov intake. Just wondered what the regs are for facial hair? Are trimmed beards allowed or must you be clean shaven.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

tumsuf09 wrote: »
    Hi guys got the call, nov intake. Just wondered what the regs are for facial hair? Are trimmed beards allowed or must you be clean shaven.

Cheers

Congrtulations tumsuf!:D

I will be seeing you in November.

Sadly I have no idea about regulations regarding facial hair but I have read on other threads that they run a pretty tight ship in terms of appearance!

No, men must be clean shaven each morning, and yes, they do check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

BoutYe wrote: »
    I cant remember exactly when it was but at some point in the first or second week you'll have your "Intro to PE" class where you'll do a bleep test. Within the first few weeks you will have done the PCA for the first time and if i remember correctly you'll do the 5K run maybe around week 6 i think.

Whenever it happens to be, you'll do the 5k twice and the PCA 3 times over the 21 weeks.

And don't worry about the big hill behind the federation building. Going down the friggin thing is actually harder than going up. Have a good look :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 elizabeth2009

Does anyone know where to get sylvette cloths from

Advertisement