Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Shield wrote: »
    They used to have a large intake (64) followed by a small intake (48), which is, as you can see divided by 16, which is the maximum number of people per class. I think that's a Trainer thing. Each batch of 16 are labelled A, B, C squad, and D if it's a 64-person intake.

I think they'll start off by doing a large intake this time. Some on the forum never make it past the IST, whereas some get in on their first try of everything. It all depends on whether you've passed everything, including Medical & Vetting, and what number you are in the Merit Pool. They'll skim the first 64 off the top, and if 8 people on this site happen to be within those 64, then more power to ye!

Shield, I had tutition for the AC recently and the tutor actually includes a quote from the boards, both because of what it says and to direct people to these boards. This is my first time applying and I only stumbled across these boards when applying but they have proved invaluable and I've messaged some really genuine and helpful peeps. So yes, well done and thank you for maintaining the PSNI threads so well! And yes, the garnerville thread is my fav too (makes dreaming about getting into GV more realistic lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Shield wrote: »
    They used to have a large intake (64) followed by a small intake (48), which is, as you can see divided by 16, which is the maximum number of people per class. I think that's a Trainer thing. Each batch of 16 are labelled A, B, C squad, and D if it's a 64-person intake.

I think they'll start off by doing a large intake this time. Some on the forum never make it past the IST, whereas some get in on their first try of everything. It all depends on whether you've passed everything, including Medical & Vetting, and what number you are in the Merit Pool. They'll skim the first 64 off the top, and if 8 people on this site happen to be within those 64, then more power to ye!

Here's hoping - there are 10 or 11 that have passed Pca on the forum, lets hope we are all in and then all the other board dies get good news this week too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Foaming at the bit to get my PCA date!! Really excited reading this thread and ringing around the houses to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

I've passed the PCA and am just waiting on the medical. After reading this thread it has become apparant to me that the training in GV is a lot more intense than what i had previously imagined. And do you know what? It has made me even more excited to get in. I might not be as excited after "Killer Sunday" though!

Shield, has there been any major changes with the process or policies within GV worth noting since your initial post way back when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Looks like they are starting to get ready!!

Role Players
    https://thesupportteam.erecruit.co.uk/erecruit/job/details.do;jsessionid=59602990A4B1A637CED63B4AA48AEE94?jobId=35

"Role Players Required

Salary: £12 per hour tbc. Location: Belfast

We are looking for individuals who will be instrumental in the operational training of student Police Officers by engaging in role plays reflecting real life situations.

The requirement is for ‘real people’ to role play ‘real life’ scenarios that will enable the student Police Officers to prepare for situations they will face following their training.

We are looking for a pool of role players who will be available to work on an ad hoc basis . The number of hours worked and scheduling of hours worked may vary considerably. It is expected that role players will work an average of 2 days per month.

No previous experience is required."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Looks like they are starting to get ready!!

Role Players
    https://thesupportteam.erecruit.co.uk/erecruit/job/details.do;jsessionid=59602990A4B1A637CED63B4AA48AEE94?jobId=35

"Role Players Required

Salary: £12 per hour tbc. Location: Belfast

We are looking for individuals who will be instrumental in the operational training of student Police Officers by engaging in role plays reflecting real life situations.

The requirement is for ‘real people’ to role play ‘real life’ scenarios that will enable the student Police Officers to prepare for situations they will face following their training.

We are looking for a pool of role players who will be available to work on an ad hoc basis . The number of hours worked and scheduling of hours worked may vary considerably. It is expected that role players will work an average of 2 days per month.

No previous experience is required."

I wonder if I should apply? It might be the only way to get into GV!

I've passed the PCA and am just waiting on the medical. After reading this thread it has become apparant to me that the training in GV is a lot more intense than what i had previously imagined. And do you know what? It has made me even more excited to get in. I might not be as excited after "Killer Sunday" though!

Shield, has there been any major changes with the process or policies within GV worth noting since your initial post way back when?

Honestly, GV is not difficult in the slightest. It's constant but not intense. It's a hell of a lot of fun though, if I could go back and do it again I would do it in a heartbeat! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Does anyone know if it's possible to defer your place at GV until a slightly later intake if you're fortunate enough to get 'the call' if you have substantial commitments which you can prove?

Edit: DELETE PLEASE

19087 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to defer your place at GV until a slightly later intake if you're fortunate enough to get 'the call' if you have substantial commitments which you can prove?

I hope so, would be hard for me to defer though I might need to.

• Advertisement

wanadrum wrote: »
    I hope so, would be hard for me to defer though I might need to.

I obviously want to go as soon as possible if I do make it, but I've committed myself to something with work that I would be quite difficult to replace at (due to qualifications etc). Could easily get my boss to write a letter saying they really need me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

Anyone who has been through the process before. How long is it between securing a place at GV and your start date.

Can anyone who has been to hotel GV confirm what way holidays work? I would have thought you have to be there for everything but the info pack on e- learning mentions holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Can anyone who has been to hotel GV confirm what way holidays work? I would have thought you have to be there for everything but the info pack on e- learning mentions holidays.
    If I understood correctly you only get holidays after the initial 22 weeks, and it is determined when according to training.

I may be wrong.

whatinthe wrote: »
    If I understood correctly you only get holidays after the initial 22 weeks, and it is determined when according to training.

I may be wrong.

That is what I thought, but it wasn't as clear as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

J_Recruit wrote: »
    Anyone who has been through the process before. How long is it between securing a place at GV and your start date.

It's usually a good six to seven weeks notice, it won't be anything less than six really

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

That is what I thought, but it wasn't as clear as it could be.

If you have any holidays booked or major events planned during the time you will be in garnerville after being offered, you need to write to External Appointments as a matter of urgency so that you can be deferred, you may also be requested to provide evidence etc

Given01 wrote: »
    If you have any holidays booked or major events planned during the time you will be in garnerville after being offered, you need to write to External Appointments as a matter of urgency so that you can be deferred, you may also be requested to provide evidence etc

Thanks for the info, when you say add a matter of urgency, I assume you mean on receipt of your correspondence offering you a place at GV?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ploddington Pea

19087 wrote: »
    I obviously want to go as soon as possible if I do make it, but I've committed myself to something with work that I would be quite difficult to replace at (due to qualifications etc). Could easily get my boss to write a letter saying they really need me.

I would be of the opinion that if you want to work for PSNI and have made a decision to leave your current job, then if you are offered a place with PSNI then you should really be prepared to leave your job and switch your loyalty to PSNI.

Contacting PSNI to defer because you want to finish X or Y with your current employer, even though you may only really by contract i'm guessing have to give four weeks notice, would paint you as reluctant to leave and not prepared to give PSNI your all. This is your life and career and I think you should put yourself first, if you get the call the only person you owe anything to is yourself, work your notice and leave and make the most of your new career, if it is definitely what you want. You will be replaced in your old job, and what happens after you leave is not for you to worry about.

I would be of the opinion that if you want to work for PSNI and have made a decision to leave your current job, then if you are offered a place with PSNI then you should really be prepared to leave your job and switch your loyalty to PSNI.

Contacting PSNI to defer because you want to finish X or Y with your current employer, even though you may only really by contract i'm guessing have to give four weeks notice, would paint you as reluctant to leave and not prepared to give PSNI your all. This is your life and career and I think you should put yourself first, if you get the call the only person you owe anything to is yourself, work your notice and leave and make the most of your new career, if it is definitely what you want. You will be replaced in your old job, and what happens after you leave is not for you to worry about.

That's easy to say, but due to the fact I have not even discussed this application with anyone involved it would come totally out of the blue. I know for a fact with 4 weeks notice I could not be replaced with someone adequately qualified to take responsibility for the event I'm concerned about. I work with young people and it's the highlight of their year which would be cancelled. Whilst technically 'it wouldn't be for me to worry about' after I'd left, I feel duty bound to at least try my best to fulfill my commitment to them.

I had a feeling someone would jump on my question with exactly what you said - insinuating that this is not the career I really want, just because I asked about deferring a matter of weeks. Surely a sense of loyalty to an organisation (and in this case to the wider community) is a good attribute for a prospective police constable? To me that seems better than someone who pretty much just says 'shove it' to their responsibilities just because a better offer came along.

• Advertisement

I'm not jumping on it, and i would absolutely agree with you that it is great that you care a lot about what you do, and it is absolutely right that when it comes to work it is a good attribute to care and have concern for colleagues and do your best for the whole team, but the only point I was trying to make is that in this instance you have to be careful it doesn't cost you your dream career move. For the record i'd be glad to work alongside you, as it's clear we'd have each others back by looking out for each other. Really do wish you all the luck getting in and with your dilemma.

I'm not jumping on it, and i would absolutely agree with you that it is great that you care a lot about what you do, and it is absolutely right that when it comes to work it is a good attribute to care and have concern for colleagues and do your best for the whole team, but the only point I was trying to make is that in this instance you have to be careful it doesn't cost you your dream career move. For the record i'd be glad to work alongside you, as it's clear we'd have each others back by looking out for each other. Really do wish you all the luck getting in and with your dilemma.

Thanks. Sorry if I seemed over sensitive about it but it's causing me some concern at the minute. Of course if I simply cannot defer and it's either join 'now our never' then obviously that's what is have to do, but it would not be without some guilt on my part. The team I work with would be annoyed and rightly so.

Anyway, I guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. Just wanted to see if anyone knew if it was possible so I could start thinking of how I'll deal with it should it happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

In relation to the above posts I would say that if you get the letter/ offer of a place and it collides with existing commitments then there is absolutely no harm into checking if you can defer your place. It's not like they'll retract your offer. :)

As picture987 says check and if you can't or it causes a problem then just take the first dates, but i wouldn't check until you get an offer with dates, as the dates might suit you anyway. And like you said you'd have no choice but to depart if they can't alter your date, however you may find that if you've put in a lot of good work at your current place the management, although disappointed to lose you, would probably be delighted for you and fully understand that you had to be secretive about the new career move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffeerequired

Does anyone know if the first intake does happen to be May, when would you expect the next intake to be? Would it be a full 22 weeks later?

Does anyone know if the first intake does happen to be May, when would you expect the next intake to be? Would it be a full 22 weeks later?

I believe it's every 5 weeks or so (4 weeks residential and then a gap of a week between one residential ending and the next starting) Or I think that's what it used to be apparently. This time round anything (or nothing) could change!

No one will be starting in D'Creat for a few years anyway, place is an absolute mess and folk I know up that part of the world are saying they'll not see it within 5 years if it ever actually starts to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Bump bump. Read through the initial post again. Some amount of kit to get for starting! Getting me excited again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

Better have a read of all this again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 azrael99

El_Triboy wrote: »
    Better have a read of all this again

I presume you got your start date today? Awesome good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Constablemaybe

Rumour has it that the accommodation in GV is being refurbished as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

Happy days, roll on next month till I get my bunk :) I'm looking forward to the induction weekend too

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Bump for the next intake! Dress code for induction?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Suit and tie I'd presume!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Belfastm wrote: »
    Suit and tie I'd presume!
    Absolutely. And formal wear for ze ladies. Sometimes people show up in track suits, and the attitude in the College is that how you present yourself in *any* dealings with the job will reflect your attitude towards same.

Gents = Full suit, white shirt & tie.

Ladies = Full formal wear, optional skirt, but ideally what you wear should be as similar to a suit as a woman can get, again, the choice of skirt/trousers being one liberty you have over the men!

Ladies, a good example to work from is:

Yes:
    formal6.jpg

No:
    Casual-Wear-2011-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Aslong as I got my suit and tie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

Hi I'm starting in the new batch..can anyone tell me what to expect in first 4 weeks as I have young child id like to see some evenings.Also is it true about the amount of cheating that goes on by married people..this would disgust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

babawiggum wrote: »
    Hi I'm starting in the new batch..can anyone tell me what to expect in first 4 weeks as I have young child id like to see some evenings.Also is it true about the amount of cheating that goes on by married people..this would disgust me

Hey did you not go to the induction evening?

student15 wrote: »
    Hey did you not go to the induction evening?

Yes but Im just looking for feedback from the people who have actually started

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

The cheating thing shouldn't matter if you're capable of making your own mind up about what you will or won't do :)

Unless your level of disgust at such a prospect would be so great you wouldn't take the job, in which case I'd advise you don't take the job anyway as there'll be plenty of other stuff worse.

• Advertisement

I'm just hearing horror stories about what actually goes on in there..i cant wait to start but just hope its not like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

I've been told that the place is a complete zoo with the current bunch. Could be bollocks though. Though if you look at the stuff that happens at other policing colleges that gets reported in the news it wouldn't be entirely surprising.

High stress environment with zero chance of detection, and over-stressing of the degree of bonding required to perform a job. People adjust to new group norms with an alteration of what is acceptable behaviour.

You don't have to engage in any of it though.

Can anyone in the current bunch give me some insight..i know it sounds weird but i have very strong religious beliefs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Can anyone in the current bunch give me some insight..i know it sounds weird but i have very strong religious beliefs

I hate to sound like the heartless one here but if you're fortunate enough to get into GV does it really matter what everyone else gets up to on their "down time"? Just cos they're doing stuff doesn't mean to say you have to include yourself especially if you think it's morally wrong or against particular religious views that you have.

I'm a single mum of 3 playing the waiting game and I know if I'm lucky to get that call and get in I'll be too busy concentrating on keeping up with the pre-reads etc cos I'll have little time to myself at the weekends, doesn't mean I'm going to ignore them all, just be more selective about what you include yourself in out of class. Basically what I'm saying is if you get in and get along with everyone, be a team player and complete tasks/assignments who says you have to join in with the things you disagree with. My mum had a great saying and I still stick by it, "if your friend/colleague jumps in a fire are you going to do it too?"

Don't be put off by stories, be strong enough to be your own person. If you don't want to cheat/drink/whatever then don't, we're all adults and should respect each other's decisions even if they go against our own morales and choices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Have to strongly agree with Mop a top !

May be a difficult career for you if you have quite strong religious beliefs, I sincerely hope that they aren't 'that strong' that you would refuse to work with a homosexual partner or victim!

Have to strongly agree with Mop a top !

May be a difficult career for you if you have quite strong religious beliefs, I sincerely hope that they aren't 'that strong' that you would refuse to work with a homosexual partner or victim!

See I'm not just a pretty face lol :-/ thanks for agreeing though. Thought it was maybe a bit harsh as it's only my opinion and everyone's entitled to their own. As long as it doesn't get in the way of them performing their duties it shouldn't matter what people get up to in their own time Think I should have put it like that the first time round :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

You're right though! In all fairness, he/she is in for a serious eye-opener!

It would infuriate me to see someone else lose a place after he/she quits as a result of encountering a breach of the bible almost every shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

Mop a top wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't get in the way of them performing their duties it shouldn't matter what people get up to in their own time

Isn't this though the number one issue with sexual relationships in the workplace? That it will invariably always impact on duties, if not in the open certainly behind the scenes.

It should be clear that I'm not directly agreeing with the original poster. You don't have to respect someones choices, just be tolerant of them or steer a wide berth.

Isn't this though the number one issue with sexual relationships in the workplace? That it will invariably always impact on duties, if not in the open certainly behind the scenes.

It should be clear that I'm not directly agreeing with the original poster. You don't have to respect someones choices, just be tolerant of them or steer a wide berth.

Not necessarily. I have had two long term partners that I worked with before and after the relationships and it never effected our work or our relationship. I think it's down to the individuals tbh.

But that's only my personal opinion and experience

• Advertisement
Advertisement