Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

"You do not have to say anything, but I must caution you that if you do not mention when questioned, something which you later rely on in court, it may harm your defence. If you do say anything it may be given in evidence".

Note where the commas and full stops are, because APPARENTLY the exams contain part of each def and a number of blank spaces and you have to fill in number 4 and 9, for example. I've been told by a Sarge that knowing the defs by heart will make the exams p1ss easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

don't forget you have to remember the title for want of a better word Caution as per Article 3 Criminal Evidence (NI) Order 1988

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

PandaPants wrote: »
    Apparently there's a lot of affairs go on in the Hotel! I've been hearing all kinds of horror stories about married recruits leaving their spouse for someone in their squad!! :eek::eek:

I wouldn't go as far as say people are leaving their spouses but the general rule is everbody is single in garnerville, but word spreads quick through the place so everyone will know what your up to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Rob-117 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as say people are leaving their spouses but the general rule is everbody is single in garnerville, but word spreads quick through the place so everyone will know what your up to

So, does this mean that I'll be in the minority as someone who's not "single"?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

carlty888 wrote: »
    So, does this mean that I'll be in the minority as someone who's not "single"?! :eek:

I'm not either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jumping jack

carlty888 wrote: »

Im not either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I know a few of you were having problems getting black socks for GV and were having to pay £12 or so in Millets or places similar. Well I was in Dunnes earlier and gathered somes prices etc etc while my mum was half the day in the fitting rooms:rolleyes:.

Mens
    £3 for 7 pairs
    £6 for 3 pairs
    £3 for 5 pairs
    £2 for 4 pairs

Ladies
    £3 for 2pairs

(for girlies with bigger feet like myself the mens socks start at a size 6)

PS. they also have 8 wooden hangers for £3.50

:)Happy shoppin folks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Guys, to be honest I bought the thick black socks cause I thought they would be good for wearing with boots. But to be honest I used them once and have just worn ordinary thin socks. My advice is dont bother with them and save money.

Wanalaugh

Thanks for the heads up wanalaugh.

Aye the ones I was talking about aren't overly thick (not walking/hiking socks) they are just like normal socks but a tad thicker, breathable too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Aye the ones I was talking about aren't overly thick (not walking/hiking socks) they are just like normal socks but a tad thicker, breathable too;)

i like my socks with the ability to suffocate ppl in case im ever in that situation. breathable socks arent my cup of tea. oh weell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    Guys, to be honest I bought the thick black socks cause I thought they would be good for wearing with boots. But to be honest I used them once and have just worn ordinary thin socks. My advice is dont bother with them and save money.

Wanalaugh

Aye same response when i asked a guy i know who's 30 years in the job... just normal ol' socks :)

Thanks for the info PYG i'll maybe go take a look monday lunchtime :)

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Thanks for the info PYG i'll maybe go take a look monday lunchtime :)

Ah no bother:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

Hi,
    Got the phone call last week to say I'm in for the April intake, and can't wait.

Just found this forum and the posts I've read have answered most of my questions, but am a bit curious about a few things I thought would be trivial but I don't wanna get wrong!

On the Student Reg Day, the advice to boys on here is to wear a suit - what about the girls? I don't own a suit. Is smart trousers and top ok?

Also, do you just take up jeans/t-shirts and trainers for the first few days then get your uniform? Or are you expected to have smart clothes/suit for first few days too?

Am very excited, this was only my first time applying so I must have got lucky!

bet0409 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Got the phone call last week to say I'm in for the April intake, and can't wait.

Just found this forum and the posts I've read have answered most of my questions, but am a bit curious about a few things I thought would be trivial but I don't wanna get wrong!

On the Student Reg Day, the advice to boys on here is to wear a suit - what about the girls? I don't own a suit. Is smart trousers and top ok?

Also, do you just take up jeans/t-shirts and trainers for the first few days then get your uniform? Or are you expected to have smart clothes/suit for first few days too?

Am very excited, this was only my first time applying so I must have got lucky!

The girls on my student induction day yesterday were wearing anything from proper trouser suits to smart skirt and top.

I'd say general rules would include: at least knee length skirt in a neutral colour (dark blue/black/grey that sort of thing), a blouse/shirt in a light colour (white/cream), a smart jacket of some sort - nothing casual, wear opaque tights if you are in a skirt (although not all did yesterday i think - i wasn't really looking the girls legs honest!), and have your hair well groomed (some had it down yesterday and we were told we were well presented so I don't think there's any specific need for buns/ponytails etc). Finally just make sure everything is really well ironed and clean. Oh and not too much make-up... I don't think masses of slap would go down very well :)

As for the first day (intake day) I have no idea and was wondering that myself. I am guessing casual since you'll be getting most of your kit on day 1 from what current residents were telling me yesterday and you'll be changing into it pretty soon after getting it...

Probably one of the girlies would be able to give you a better idea for SID clothing though, but i hope that gives you some idea to go on with.

Oh and CONGRATS! :D (look forward to showing you around - i think us blues should be showing you the place :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

DownMTBer wrote: »
    The girls on my student induction day yesterday were wearing anything from proper trouser suits to smart skirt and top.

I'd say general rules would include: at least knee length skirt in a neutral colour (dark blue/black/grey that sort of thing), a blouse/shirt in a light colour (white/cream), a smart jacket of some sort - nothing casual, wear opaque tights if you are in a skirt (although not all did yesterday i think - i wasn't really looking the girls legs honest!), and have your hair well groomed (some had it down yesterday and we were told we were well presented so I don't think there's any specific need for buns/ponytails etc). Finally just make sure everything is really well ironed and clean. Oh and not too much make-up... I don't think masses of slap would go down very well :)

As for the first day (intake day) I have no idea and was wondering that myself. I am guessing casual since you'll be getting most of your kit on day 1 from what current residents were telling me yesterday and you'll be changing into it pretty soon after getting it...

Probably one of the girlies would be able to give you a better idea for SID clothing though, but i hope that gives you some idea to go on with.

Oh and CONGRATS! :D (look forward to showing you around - i think us blues should be showing you the place :) )

Congrats Bet :D The wait for the SID will fly in! Good advice from DownMTber there, but I would definitely advise getting a suit (you can get decent quality ones at good prices now) . In the standing orders which are listed in the handbook you will be given at the SID it says that when required to wear 'plain clothes' during training, a suit must be worn by all students. Perhaps better to get one now and get your money's worth as you'll need it for when you are in there!

.....DownMTber, how do you even know the word 'opaque' ??! :P

oh and follow the sensible pci and myself and wear flat shoes!! Unless you are accustomed to heels every day of course. Im not glamourous enough to be able to stay in them all day :)

squirrel81 wrote: »
    Congrats Bet :D The wait for the SID will fly in! Good advice from DownMTber there, but I would definitely advise getting a suit (you can get decent quality ones at good prices now) . In the standing orders which are listed in the handbook you will be given at the SID it says that when required to wear 'plain clothes' during training, a suit must be worn by all students. Perhaps better to get one now and get your money's worth as you'll need it for when you are in there!

oh and follow the sensible pci and myself and wear flat shoes!! Unless you are accustomed to heels every day of course. Im not glamourous enough to be able to stay in them all day :)

Best not to ask my little squirrel friend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

squirrel81 wrote: »
    even i know the word opaque squirrel and thats saying something :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Opaque means crotchless right? Even i know that one:)

1979SD wrote: »

LOL! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

1979SD wrote: »

to be honest 1979sd i dont care if u know the meaning of opaque. im glad you do but what im really interested on knowing is if the ladies on the april start date understand. i hope they do. if they dont then thanks for pointin out the definition for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Anyone who has been in GV or currently is:

1. At our induction day we wear a suit obviously, what about on the first day of training, what do we wear to that? Assuming we will be changing into uniform etc...

2. Are the first few days spent in GV or are we whisked off to a secret location for team bonding?

3. Are we issued two uniforms one for show parade and one for everyday training? If so do they give us a few shirts to allow for washing etc?? As I'm sure a clean one will be needed each day??? Am I panicking lol?

Thanks Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

You wear uniform on your first day training and every other day you are there. You will get all the uniform you will need for the next number of years. In that there will be something like 6 long shirts, 6 short, around 5 pairs of trousers. I would advise you to get a good pair of trousers left to one side for parades and show parades, same for shirts and jumpers too. Means you arent panicking on a thursday night lookin for a pair of trousers with no double creases in them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Thanks very much for that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

integra1 wrote: »
    Anyone who has been in GV or currently is:

1. At our induction day we wear a suit obviously, what about on the first day of training, what do we wear to that? Assuming we will be changing into uniform etc...

2. Are the first few days spent in GV or are we whisked off to a secret location for team bonding?

3. Are we issued two uniforms one for show parade and one for everyday training? If so do they give us a few shirts to allow for washing etc?? As I'm sure a clean one will be needed each day??? Am I panicking lol?

Thanks Guys

I was told on first day of training wear your suit as well, and take casual clothes for the rest of the week. People I know have been taken off to secret location for the first Mon-Wed, then back to GV for classes on the Thursday... Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

dont worry about it they will let you know exactly what you are to be dressed in, the joys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

dont worry about it they will let you know exactly what you are to be dressed in, the joys!

thank god they don't choose how we dress anymore :)

this bad boy has been out of action for a while. ive already started getting some things!

as everyone else has asked, i want to know about the bulling of the boots! i love polishing my car, so ill use my boots as my new victim. is there any special way to do or, or will you be shown what the best method is

and for ironing your own clothes n all, is there any special way to iron your shirt and trousers, especially for the show parading? creasing them a certain way, or again, do they show you what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

On the first night back in Garnerville after the super fun course at the start our lovely Drill instructor brought us into the assembly hall and give us a boot bulling lesson. In our squad we had an ex army guy and two ex RAF so he told us to split up with them and they could show us how to bull boots.

I found it easy enough to get to grips with on the first night but for some reason some people just couldnt do it in the entire 21 weeks. Its a good way to get your clothes ironed if you're able to do it and somebody else isnt :)

And with that, to the ironing! If you're like me you've never ironed before but rest assured somebody in your squad will be a pro. Again that first night back in we had a couple of ironing boards set up outside the rooms and had a masterclass on ironing shirts and trousers. Again, its easy enough to pick up the technique.

• Advertisement

BoutYe wrote: »
    On the first night back in Garnerville after the super fun course at the start our lovely Drill instructor brought us into the assembly hall and give us a boot bulling lesson. In our squad we had an ex army guy and two ex RAF so he told us to split up with them and they could show us how to bull boots.

I found it easy enough to get to grips with on the first night but for some reason some people just couldnt do it in the entire 21 weeks. Its a good way to get your clothes ironed if you're able to do it and somebody else isnt :)

And with that, to the ironing! If you're like me you've never ironed before but rest assured somebody in your squad will be a pro. Again that first night back in we had a couple of ironing boards set up outside the rooms and had a masterclass on ironing shirts and trousers. Again, its easy enough to pick up the technique.
    haha, thanks boutye, ive watched a few videos online of how to do it and im eager to get started with extreme bulling! ill start ironing my own stuff and brothers work shirts as practice for that

another thing i need now, is a suit. im tall and pretty slim build. the only place that had anything that fitted me well was high and mighty in town. does anyone know of any other places, in NI or ROI, that do tall people suits? they had a navy one, and i wasnt sure if it would be suitable. im sure theyll have fun making up a uniform to fit me aswell!

would a navy coloured suit be fine? what about pinstripe ones. i was just thinking plain black suit and i cannot go wrong!

Advertisement