Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

No probs pal, if you need anything else, just give me a shout.
    We're outa the the hotel next week ye har lol

wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

What is the best Kiwi to get just the ordinary black polish or the parade gloss??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

standard kiwi is fine, the parade gloss is a bit oilier and you need to be careful not to put too much on at a time. start with the standard ordinary one and if you wanna give the parade gloss a try you can without doing any harm.

Great stuff MORRI thanks, I take it they will show us how to bull our boots properly or should i try and practice??

They'll show you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

i'm starting 1st feb and have a couple of moolah related questions for the current SO's or whoever.

1)is the 2007 payscale still accurate or is there a newer scale? and if so can you inform us what it is?

2)Are the figures on the payscale inclusive of the ni allowance or do you add the ni allowance on top of this to workout a more accurate yearly?

feel free to pm if anything is sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

I'm kinda dreading the first few days. I'm only home from holiday on the Wednesday and I'm terrified I'll be jet-lagged and zombie-like for the first day or so. I've heard the first days are usually 12 hours long!! :eek::eek::eek:

pandapants, dont worry about it, you will be fine trust me. The first 3 days are ok, and if i can remember there is only 1 late night out of the 3.

wanalaugh

if i were you Pandapants i'd try to stay awake until you would normally go to bed then that way it helps you adjust back to this timezone and you won't be as wrecked!!

Griffer2 wrote: »
    if i were you Pandapants i'd try to stay awake until you would normally go to bed then that way it helps you adjust back to this timezone and you won't be as wrecked!!

I do try, but I get soooo tired and I generally want/try to kill people when I get tired and grumpy. :D:D I'm getting back to Belfast about 3pm, so I'll plan something nice for the afternoon to stop me going to bed.

• Advertisement

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    pandapants, dont worry about it, you will be fine trust me. The first 3 days are ok, and if i can remember there is only 1 late night out of the 3.

wanalaugh

Thanks. That's stopped me panicking a bit. ;)

I actually changed the date, so I'm coming home a day earlier than I had originally planned.

When do you start?

1st Feb. I come home on Wednesday and start on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sony8391

Am i right in saying from reading previous posts, that the feb intake will be known as Green's....

Apologies if this is completely wrong!!

If it is correct, any idea what the march intake will be... red etc?

Blues in March then Reds.

wanalaugh

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Toben

I am in, start on the 1st Feb, bricking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Well done Laura!!!! Did you ever find out your merit number? (Not that it matters now lol but I'm just nosey)

Congratulations you lucky thing :D

Yeah I found it out about 30 minutes before I got the call, it was 40....

I did not even know if that was good or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sony8391

Well done laura, im sure your well pleased, let the hard work begin!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

well done indeed! your making us in the waiting room very jealous lol!:D Congrats!

• Advertisement

well done laura, welcome to the mighty GREENS!

pb999 wrote: »
    well done laura, welcome to the mighty GREENS!

OH yes, are u starting the same time as me? If so I have never ironed, washed my own clothes or polished boots in my life, I'll bribe u to do mine.

Also I am soooooooo unift, seriously bad!

i am on the 1st of feb intake, along with Griffer2, Oursole, NumberC and Pandapants, think thats it, sorry if i missed anyone.

i wouldnt worry about ironing and polishing, they show you all that in there, washing your own clothes is easy, couple of persil tablets and you're off!

cya at the SRD on the 19th

pb999 wrote: »
    i am on the 1st of feb intake, along with Griffer2, Oursole, NumberC and Pandapants, think thats it, sorry if i missed anyone.

i wouldnt worry about ironing and polishing, they show you all that in there, washing your own clothes is easy, couple of persil tablets and you're off!

cya at the SRD on the 19th

Wot is SRD? Everyone is coming off with all these three letter things and I have no idea wot they mean!

Also wot is all this with having to get ur hair cut, my hair is avergae to long, will ihave to get it cut into a bob??

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Yeah I found it out about 30 minutes before I got the call, it was 40....

I did not even know if that was good or not!

Brilliant score, well done (again!)

Have fun at Garnerville :D

Wot is SRD? Everyone is coming off with all these three letter things and I have no idea wot they mean!

Also wot is all this with having to get ur hair cut, my hair is avergae to long, will ihave to get it cut into a bob??

SRD = Student registration day which we have to attend on the 19th of jan.

hair length, everyone male or female has to have their head shaved, number 2 allover.

........just kidding no idea what the score is for women, if you can get it into a bun and its all tight and tidy and fits under the cap then you may be ok, but they'll let you know at the SRD.

? If so I have never ironed, washed my own clothes or polished boots in my life,

Two words - colour catchers. Get them in Tesco. ;)

Welcome to the Mighty Greens Laura :D

We really are gonna have to make a code so we all know each other as PB999 suggested!!!

you dont have to live in G'ville! you stay Monday-Friday for the first 4 weeks, even then if you dont live too far away you can nip home occassionally if you ask nicely. so there is no real need to be washing clothes there, as for ironing and bulling boots, practise makes perfect. Lets face it if you cant manage them how well will you do at filling in a scene log, searching a house, using a firearm-cs spray, driving an armoured car, standing up in court or making coffee for your sergeant?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Bulling boots is easy enough, just takes patience and requires you to put up with a sore finger (that sounded bad i know)

Depends what is expected tbh, could be anything from clean to glass toe-caps. Glass toe-caps is easy enough but that really requires patience... endless small circles with a yellow cloth and one finger with repeated spitting (yes it really is called spit and polish for real). But once you realise it isn't going to be done in an hour and accept you'll be at it for days every spare minute its fine.

To be honest though I doubt they'll be requiring that kind of shine!

Ironing is more of a problem cos it isn't just ur every day shirt ironing. If the uniforms are anything like the naval ones I had at school (yes military boarding school!) then they get very shiney very easy so a cotton/linen cloth to iron through is key, just wet it a little to create steam and iron over the uniform through the cloth to prevent the shininess.

I really wouldn't worry about these bits tho as they'll be expecting that most people did not go to a military school and have never had to do this kind of polishing and ironing before in their lives and will not be very good at it at first.

Plus anyone in my intake (hopefully March - fingers and everything else crossed!!) i'm happy to help as best I can :)

Advertisement