Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

bc84 wrote: »
    A girl in mine cudnt get past level three in the bleep test which is disgraceful lol

have been doing the beep test for awhile just for fun and improving my running fitness what kinda standard or level do they go for im always around 8-9

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

chunkerz wrote: »
    have been doing the beep test for awhile just for fun and improving my running fitness what kinda standard or level do they go for im always around 8-9

that will do fine, i think level 4 is what they want, below that you'll be looking at a bollocking. though being fit gets you no real praise either, me and a friend hit level 11 i think and were the last 2 standing and they never so much as gave us a thumbs up. The Phys course covers everything so a decent level of general fitness is really whats required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

i was told this was a big NO NO when i busted my already weak ankle (see above) earlier this year. The Dr at Heath Hospital in Cardiff told me that you have to let it swell naturally, as this is natures defence mechanism, if you restrict the swelling it just moves the fluid elsewhere which can lead to more severe pain.

Wow really? In that case I better book myself in for some first aid refresher training because that's what we were told about soft tissue injuries by our old PTI.

i did mine about 8 weeks ago and could have sworn we were told the RICE thing aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

bc84 wrote: »
    i did mine about 8 weeks ago and could have sworn we were told the RICE thing aswell

well i spoke to a physio in our building and she gave me one of those elastic type dressings for it but said anything more than that could be counter productive and even give u DVT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

I received my offer for August which I gladly accepted. I received the appointment pack and sent back the note that says I will be attending. I am just wondering if that is the last thing I will hear before the induction day, or do I get an acknowledgement that they have recieved my letter. Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

I received my offer for August which I gladly accepted. I received the appointment pack and sent back the note that says I will be attending. I am just wondering if that is the last thing I will hear before the induction day, or do I get an acknowledgement that they have recieved my letter. Any help is appreciated.

Nope, thats it. Your pack should have a date for the induction, so just follow whatever instructions that are contained in that pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

Thanks Cashflow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

Cashflow wrote: »
    Nope, thats it. Your pack should have a date for the induction, so just follow whatever instructions that are contained in that pack.
    I was hoping we'd get some sort of confirmation but alas! I have visions of mine having got lost in the post and when I show up on Induction day they'll be like "who the frick are you and why are you here!? Piss away off"

Just went through all 34 pages today and copied and pasted the important stuff in to a separate document which I will go through and take heed of before I go in - in particular the shopping list. Great stuff psni! (and everyone else who has contributed to this thread over the years)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I'm going to be paring this thread right back to be a one-pager during the freeze, so people won't be put off by its sheer size. Some of your posts will either be moved or deleted in the process.

I wouldn't mind if a few of you who have been through, or are presently going through, could PM me and delancey42 with a few suggestions of things that should either be added to, or removed from the list. It was written a few years ago now, and parts of it are bound to need updating.

Thanks.

Was wondering if PSNI or somone else who had been through or going through training could give me an idea of what to take clothes wise with me? i know u said about the suit and stuff but i mean apart from that? when ur wisked away for a few days for instance, will we be in uniform or suits if not ready, or will be just able to wear civi's??

Any help would be appreicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TJHooker1

I start in aug as well and have the benefit of knowing a few people who have already been through it. from what they tell me we will just be in casuals first three days. not long now. does anyone know what to expect on the induction day?

TJHooker1 wrote: »
    I start in aug as well and have the benefit of knowing a few people who have already been through it. from what they tell me we will just be in casuals first three days. not long now. does anyone know what to expect on the induction day?

Thats good to know, will throw a few pairs of jeans in the car on the first day so i have something slightly more casual, we will maybe find all that out on induction! God knows what else tho!

jonnym61 wrote: »
    Thats good to know, will throw a few pairs of jeans in the car on the first day so i have something slightly more casual, we will maybe find all that out on induction! God knows what else tho!
    don`t know about you but its been such a long wait i nearly got cold feet a couple of times. just can`t wait to get first day over with and settle myself.

don`t know about you but its been such a long wait i nearly got cold feet a couple of times. just can`t wait to get first day over with and settle myself.

To be honest before i got the call i had just about given up, had been applying for lots of other jobs and had almost forgotten about this all together, still cant really believe its so close!

• Advertisement

To be honest before i got the call i had just about given up, had been applying for lots of other jobs and had almost forgotten about this all together, still cant really believe
    surprised you didnt get pulled up for giving out info on dates there. I just handed my notice in last night and it feels good pity. I cant tell anyone where i`m really going to be working!

surprised you didnt get pulled up for giving out info on dates there. I just handed my notice in last night and it feels good pity. I cant tell anyone where i`m really going to be working!

Haha im quick a dick, changed it now! cheers for pointing it out! Yea if one more person askes me what department in civil service im going too im gonna flip haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

The dates are still in TJHooker's last comment cos he quoted Jonny!

Are you not allowed/supposed to mention the date in here? I thought it'd been put somewhere else already and there is already a thread referring to the August intake

Are you not allowed/supposed to mention the date in here? I thought it'd been put somewhere else already and there is already a thread referring to the August intake
    sorted! I think i read on one of the other threads someone getting pulled for a remote indication of dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

Haha im quick a dick, changed it now! cheers for pointing it out! Yea if one more person askes me what department in civil service im going too im gonna flip haha!

Exact same story here!:D I have been avoiding everyone lately so as to avoid such an interrogation, like what department is it? where is the office? Will you be wearing a suit? Can we visit you at work? Do you get free biscuits with your tea? and so on..........

• Advertisement

The "secret" location is casual, bring enough t shirts or whatever and prepare to stuff your face with as many baked goods as you can.

As far as the evenings go for your residential period, its more of the same - wear pretty much whatever you want (keep it P.C though), but you must be in uniform or P.E gear if you're gonna be in the canteen, which is only a recent rule.

On your induction - WEAR A SUIT! I know it says so in the appointment pack, but on our induction we had a few people show up without a tie, and for the yellows one guy even turned up in jeans and a t-shirt. Also, make sure to bring enough money for food, as you will not be fed otherwise.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions of other students on your induction. The reds (me) will be in week ~18 or so by the time your induction rolls in, the yellows are 5 weeks behind us. Get chatting to us if you have any concerns/problems that aren't addressed by any of the speakers you have to listen to - we will be more than happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Speaking with Moderator hat on : It's one thing to mention an August intake but quite another to give specific dates / times.
    Thank you for spotting your errors and remedying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

it does say on the pack that business wear is essential for the induction day.

Can someone please tell me about the beep test. firstly do we have to do one. What exactly does it consist of and what is the best way to train for it. I have been preparing myself for a 3 mile run and have no idea how to prepare for a beep test.

As far as the evenings go for your residential period, its more of the same - wear pretty much whatever you want (keep it P.C though), but you must be in uniform or P.E gear if you're gonna be in the canteen, which is only a recent rule.

When you say P.C. how strict it is? i mean a lot of nights i will be kicking about the house wearing track bottoms and a tottenham/Lincoln shirt or a ulster/ireland rugby shirt, would that be frowned upon u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

Could lose respect from rest off the ppl there wearing a spurs top lol

Tjhooker google beep test it's basically series off beeps and you have you get to 20m , you can download a mp3 copy but if your running you'll be fine

B182 wrote: »

Tjhooker google beep test it's basically series off beeps and you have you get to 20m , you can download a mp3 copy but if your running you'll be fine

haha now that was uncalled for was it not lol this isnt the place to get into a football conversation!

All clothing must be neutral. Nike, Adidas and the like are allowed. You won't be allowed to walk around wearing Ulster or Ireland rugby shirts, or any other team for that matter.

B182 wrote: »

Thanks just downloaded that there now will have to give it a go.

psni wrote: »
    All clothing must be neutral. Nike, Adidas and the like are allowed. You won't be allowed to walk around wearing Ulster or Ireland rugby shirts, or any other team for that matter.

and football teams of any type are off the cards as well then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

and football teams of any type are off the cards as well then?

Its not neutral if it has a team on it. In saying that, when I was there there were plenty of guys wearing different rugby tops and football tops and nothing was said. I think its more the Rangers/Celtic - ROI/NI tops they are refering to by neutral.

Could be different now but it wasn't a problem when I was there to wear your favourite premiership / rugby top.

BoutYe wrote: »
    Its not neutral if it has a team on it. In saying that, when I was there there were plenty of guys wearing different rugby tops and football tops and nothing was said. I think its more the Rangers/Celtic - ROI/NI tops they are refering to by neutral.

Could be different now but it wasn't a problem when I was there to wear your favourite premiership / rugby top.

Cheers for that, will just go in neutral and see how it goes i think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Hey

Are your family expected to go in suits etc? Do they provide any food or anything for them (not to sound like a starvo lol)?

Well took a trip out last night and have got everything on the list, apart from socks, its all starting to seem very real!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

jclegs wrote: »
    Hey

Are your family expected to go in suits etc? Do they provide any food or anything for them (not to sound like a starvo lol)?

If i remember correctly most people were smartly dressed but when I had to do mine it was a registration NIGHT. Your family arrived with you and while you were off doing forms and getting measured for uniform they got a tour and a talk from the chief. Thats probably why most were smartly dressed - to match their sons/daughters etc. I thiink there was definately tea and biscuits. Some of the more recent ones might be able to confirm the food part, but for dress I suppose whatever your family are comfortable in

tea and biscuits provided, dress is whatever you want - but most tend to at least make some effort, I would suggest you tell your loved ones to do the same.

Gotta get with the times BoutYe. The poor suckers spend an entire day there now.
    BoutYe wrote: »
    If i remember correctly most people were smartly dressed but when I had to do mine it was a registration NIGHT. Your family arrived with you and while you were off doing forms and getting measured for uniform they got a tour and a talk from the chief. Thats probably why most were smartly dressed - to match their sons/daughters etc. I thiink there was definately tea and biscuits. Some of the more recent ones might be able to confirm the food part, but for dress I suppose whatever your family are comfortable in

Just ' bumping ' this up for the benefit of the lucky C16'ers who have got the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

delancey42 wrote: »
    Just ' bumping ' this up for the benefit of the lucky C16'ers who have got the call.
    Thanks Delancey. Was looking for this thread the other day and couldn't find it..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 twilightbella

Let the shopping commence for all this stuff we need!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Anyone care to pm me details of the excursion in the first week of GV?

Please don't say ' it's a secret' or 'don't want to spoil the surprise'

Reality is starting to hit me! Nervous and excited!

Also, I've read that blokes have to be clean shaven everyday. :eek: I only shave once a week otherwise my face would be a bloodbath -sensitive thing that I am! Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JP84

yeah have to admit Im starting to get a little apprehensive myself!! dont really know what to expect!
    Anyone on here in Garnerville at min or been there recently who can give us any advice or tips? would be greatly appreciated

the excursion has been changed as far as im aware, no longer where it used to be. its good fun though

pma1983 wrote: »
    Also, I've read that blokes have to be clean shaven everyday. :eek: I only shave once a week otherwise my face would be a bloodbath -sensitive thing that I am! Any tips?

That's correct about lads being clean shaven. Best thing in your case might be an electric razor - typical Christmas present !

• Registered Users Posts: 31 recruit2010

delancey42 wrote: »
    That's correct about lads being clean shaven. Best thing in your case might be an electric razor - typical Christmas present !

thats what i have asked for...:D:D

• Advertisement

pma1983 wrote: »
    Anyone care to pm me details of the excursion in the first week of GV?

Please don't say ' it's a secret' or 'don't want to spoil the surprise'

Reality is starting to hit me! Nervous and excited!

I was the same dude, any more than every other day and I was bleeding everywhere. Thankfully now I'm out i've grown a beard :-D

when I was in u found <mod snip> shaving/moisturising cream a godsend. Was about 35quid for a tub but it lasted all of gv and gave me a blood free wet shave every day. Miracle stuff! On the subject of electric razors, the drill staff will probably notice, it won't give a close enough shave I don't think. Didn't know of anyone using them in my squad

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

Got the call last week and was shocked as I wasnt expecting it at all! Very happy and cant wait to get started but I am very nervous! Does anyone know anything about what happens if I have had a holiday booked months ago but the date is during my training?

craydon wrote: »
    Got the call last week and was shocked as I wasnt expecting it at all! Very happy and cant wait to get started but I am very nervous! Does anyone know anything about what happens if I have had a holiday booked months ago but the date is during my training?

Alas you're out of luck - the absolute maximum allowed off from training is 5 days , this includes funerals , sickness , force majeure , etc .
    Basically your holiday is gone but what of it ? I don't want to sound ' hard-boiled ' but it really is not a big deal at the end of the day , you've been lucky enough to get in - plenty of time for holidays after Garnerville I reckon.
    Congratulations by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭craydon

Yea thats what i thought, that 7 days would be pushing it! But like you said, Im in and I can always book another at a later time :) Thank you and thanks for your reply, really cant wait to get started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 urbantiger

Hey guys, about the shaving thing I share your pain (literally) as I have very sensitive skin.
    I had a beard until recently and decided to start shaving again so invested in some <mod snip> shaving soap, <mod snip> skin food and moisturising lotion.
    Its not cheap, about £15-£20 quid for a 200ml bottle but I've had them for about 3 months now and I'm only getting to the bottom of the bottle, you only need to use very little.
    Anyway my point is they've made such a difference, I can now have a close comfortable shave every day, now wishing I hadn't been such a tight arse for so long!

• Advertisement
Advertisement