Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Has anyone noticed that Ken Early doesn't seem to be in the studio during the radio show. Theres a bit difference in sound quality between when he and McDevitt are talking. Seems like hes doing it on a mobile or skype. Thought it was a once off but I have noticed it on 4 or 5 shows now over the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Has anyone noticed that Ken Early doesn't seem to be in the studio during the radio show. Theres a bit difference in sound quality between when he and McDevitt are talking. Seems like hes doing it on a mobile or skype. Thought it was a once off but I have noticed it on 4 or 5 shows now over the last 2 weeks.

Yup, noticed that myself the last couple of evenings, maybe they're keeping him over in the UK in a cellar and rolling him out for Sunday match commentaries cause they can't afford his return fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭baldbear

I had to laugh today at the movies and booze segment. I forget the lads name who is standing in for Moncrief but some smart ass texter asked where could he get the cider, "Whip it inn cider...." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

baldbear wrote: »
    I had to laugh today at the movies and booze segment. I forget the lads name who is standing in for Moncrief but some smart ass texter asked where could he get the cider, "Whip it inn cider...." :D

lol

Reminds of that old joke.

What's a prostitutes favorite drink?

Seven up 'in cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

On today's 5 o clock news on Newstalk there was a report on trade union leaders taking or not taking pay cuts. On of the teachers' union leaders is a Mr. McMenamin, but he was called Mr. Mac Minimum at least twice.Newtalk really ought to get people who can read, write and speak properly. Ian Guider still is the worst, speaks too fast, never pronounces his THs,has an annoying inflection at the end of each question......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

JackPerry wrote: »
    On today's 5 o clock news on Newstalk there was a report on trade union leaders taking or not taking pay cuts. On of the teachers' union leaders is a Mr. McMenamin, but he was called Mr. Mac Minimum at least twice.Newtalk really ought to get people who can read, write and speak properly. Ian Guider still is the worst, speaks too fast, never pronounces his THs,has an annoying inflection at the end of each question......
    One ought to check ones own spelling before climbing on ones high horse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Yeah- was thinking the same myself. Nothing has been said as far as i've heard. havent missed the show in ages so i'd of heard. Its done over an ISDN line as the quality of the line is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ken Early really is not cut out for this football commentary lark. Poor desciptive powers and he speedsupastheactionsspeedsupandhisvoicerisisesuntilitsnearlylikeagirls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Anybody know who this lad co commentating is.. very pro united, it's like Fanzone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

mike65 wrote: »
    Ken Early really is not cut out for this football commentary lark. Poor desciptive powers and he speedsupastheactionsspeedsupandhisvoicerisisesuntilitsnearlylikeagirls!

Cos he's doing it from a tv screen, probably, in his mother's front room!

He actually has brilliant descriptive powers, when he's present at a match. Who will ever forget "Richard Dunne, like a whale, reached out with his giant fluke and swept the goal-bound shot off the line!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Anybody know who this lad co commentating is.. very pro united, it's like Fanzone..

Pat Nevin.
    delaad wrote: »
    Cos he's doing it from a tv screen, probably, in his mother's front room!

He actually has brilliant descriptive powers, when he's present at a match. Who will ever forget "Richard Dunne, like a whale, reached out with his giant fluke and swept the goal-bound shot off the line!"

Nah, he was at the ground alright. I usually like his commentaries, but the sound was crap today - crowd noise too high and his mic too low.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Yup, noticed that myself the last couple of evenings, maybe they're keeping him over in the UK in a cellar and rolling him out for Sunday match commentaries cause they can't afford his return fare.

Surly it would cost more to put someone up for a week in london rather than to just fly them in for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I saw on his twitter that he's based part-time in London now
    hopefully not the beginning of the end for OTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

delaad wrote: »

Ah he must had that pre-prepared for when the moment came! The other fella who does the "lesser" game is much better, he seems to have a more instinctive reading of a games to and fro.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

parasite wrote: »
    I saw on his twitter that he's based part-time in London now
    hopefully not the beginning of the end for OTB

Nah, he's been on ISDN for a while now, Quality is much different from that of Eoin, listen out for it next time. Didn't know why, but if he's based in London now then that would explain it. Once they have him on ISDN then they're laughing. His commentary annoys me though.

Dave and Pat Nevin are a great combo, someone mentioned Pat was very pro United. Maybe its because they were the better team on the day, because Pat's an ex Chelsea player so i would've thought if he was given something to be pro chelsea about, he would have been

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

But why is he based in London,cant see many benefit's.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Dub13 wrote: »

Closer to all the action I suppose. he can go to press conferences, any amount of matches etc. same reason i suppose that any journalist who reports on foreign matters would move to the location they're reporting on. Also he may be double jobbing and had an opportunity to earn more money over there but NT didn't want to lose him altogether.

I'm only guessing, i've never met the fella so don't know all the details. Could be just as simple as having a lady friend over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

JackPerry wrote: »
    Newstalk really ought to get people who can read, write and speak properly. Ian Guider still is the worst, speaks too fast, never pronounces his THs,has an annoying inflection at the end of each question......

God, Ian Guider!!! Gives me a HEART ATTACK with the 'th' thing. Especially because half of his slot revolves around saying things like 'grot of tree tousand'.

I have texted them so many times giving out about it that I'm sure that they've blocked my number. You would think they would encourage proper diction in their presentators. And it's not a regional proununciation variation of anything like that, it's just a bad habit - that comes across like a speech impediment.

Grot, grot, grot. Araghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

God, Ian Guider!!! Gives me a HEART ATTACK with the 'th' thing. Especially because half of his slot revolves around saying things like 'grot of tree tousand'.

I have texted them so many times giving out about it that I'm sure that they've blocked my number. You would think they would encourage proper diction in their presentators. And it's not a regional proununciation variation of anything like that, it's just a bad habit - that comes across like a speech impediment.

Grot, grot, grot. Araghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

:D

So it's not just me then. Or how about the loud sniff/intake of air through his nose every time he ends a sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Dub13 wrote: »

The benefit is - his girlfriend now lives and works in London, so he spends time there and in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

The content of the Right Hook this evening has been recycled from earlier today - Jesus, it was rubbish the first time around to listen to half-arsed items on Irish Pork labelling and a gizmo for school photographic recognition.

Ian O'Doherty was on Moncreiff earlier saying that rubbish surveys are boon for filling content - he described most of the station's recent output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I read on a website regarding the JNLR'S last week that Tom Dunne has 50,000 listeners if that is true surely Newstalk have to be looking to make a change and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

:D

So it's not just me then. Or how about the loud sniff/intake of air through his nose every time he ends a sentence?

Hadn't noticed that yet, but will be first thing on my mind at 6.30 tomorrow morning - cheers :pac:

Must figure out how to work my radio properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

Badabing wrote: »
    I read on a website regarding the JNLR'S last week that Tom Dunne has 50,000 listeners if that is true surely Newstalk have to be looking to make a change and quickly.
    Yeah dunne on the Breackfast show ..... Yates;well tom how was your morning ; dunne ;not bad not bad atall Ivan everything was going great until my 5 year old daughter (yes Tom blame the daughter again) hid the car keys blah blah blah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wait a minute its Rory from Elipant storidge thank god wonder what rorys JNLI figs are:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Ken Early's commentary was better on Sunday than I expected. I heard him once and he was talking over the other guy constantly and at one stage got so excited he was just saying "look at this, look at this"....from a radio commentator. Terrible.

Overall I think the commentary is pretty great to have though.

I know this is a while ago but dose any one know why I think his name was Keane maybe Fergal( he done the lunchtime show before D Kibert )left the station it was fairly sudden about a year ago?
    I liked him he was a social worker in his past life very sympathic guy was he sacked or something?
    Good forum Im a bit of radio head myself

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

tippx wrote: »
    I know this is a while ago but dose any one know why I think his name was Keane maybe Fergal( he done the lunchtime show before D Kibert )left the station it was fairly sudden about a year ago?
    I liked him he was a social worker in his past life very sympathic guy was he sacked or something?
    Good forum Im a bit of radio head myself

There's another thread about Eamon Keane below this one.

I think he left rather than got sacked.

There's another thread about Eamon Keane below this one.

I think he left rather than got sacked.
    Cant really find anything other than he was supposed to head back to radio Kerry Id love to listen to the Healy Rays giving hi the run around

I also agree with the costant ad breaks When hook starts the show he starts with the whole bloddy run down of the show then theirs an ad ,then its its a speil for the sponsers, then its competion ,then its the great prize for the competion ,then back to the sponsers,then welcome to the show yes george K not for Kube but for K..t Matt cooper is up and runnig way before Hook though I like OTB Carin Colemann Dunphy(no spoofers)and Kirbet, Henry Keane is also funny and gets people to open up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

tippx wrote: »
    Cant really find anything other than he was supposed to head back to radio Kerry Id love to listen to the Healy Rays giving hi the run around

I also agree with the costant ad breaks When hook starts the show he starts with the whole bloddy run down of the show then theirs an ad ,then its its a speil for the sponsers, then its competion ,then its the great prize for the competion ,then back to the sponsers,then welcome to the show yes george K not for Kube but for K..t Matt cooper is up and runnig way before Hook though I like OTB Carin Colemann Dunphy(no spoofers)and Kirbet, Henry Keane is also funny and gets people to open up

I dont Think you got one name right in your last line. Karen Coleman, Henry mckean, Damien kiberd.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It was a pity how Eamon Keane left so abruptly. He's on Facebook if you want to get in touch with him.
    Kiberd is too right-wing for my liking. I'm getting sick on his constant swipes at the unemployed. Hook has no objectivity as he's a Fine Gaeler through and through. He doesn't like criticism (he dropped me from Twitter after I had a go at him about his comments before the Ireland/England match :D)
    Dunphy is a tool. So much for his "no spoofers" rule. I used to like the guy but I lost all respect for him after his arse licking of O'Brien following the Moriarty report.

Moncrieff is still alright I suppose :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement