Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't stand Anton Savage I've decided, I look forward to Coopers return when I hear him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Christ almighty, ivan is really starting to annoy me with hes constant slagging of chris. It seems to be occuring between every segment now, i think chris is even getting sick of it! The worst thing is the repeditive nature of the comments about chris love life,tiggs the dog and man utd fans! the jokes are not even original anymore,its just the same crap churned out every day.

One of the producers really need to have a word, or else he needs to be given the road. It wont be long before i switch back to morning ireland. Its like listening to the messer at the back of the class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Christ almighty, ivan is really starting to annoy me with hes constant slagging of chris. It seems to be occuring between every segment now, i think chris is even getting sick of it! The worst thing is the repeditive nature of the comments about chris love life,tiggs the dog and man utd fans! the jokes are not even original anymore,its just the same crap churned out every day.

One of the producers really need to have a word, or else he needs to be given the road. It wont be long before i switch back to morning ireland. Its like listening to the messer at the back of the class!
    Is that stuff still going on?

Once I get my news essentials on Boring Ireland, I move over to Lyric rather than listen to the Yates' mean-spirited, unprofessional schoolyard slagging. It's a great pity as Yates has a lot of experience to bring to the table. I like Chris's enthusiasm and positivity, but he gets rudely shoved off the air by Yates.

It's not really the kind of vibe I want to be exposed to first thing in the morning.

McDave wrote: »
    Is that stuff still going on?

Once I get my news essentials on Boring Ireland, I move over to Lyric rather than listen to the Yates' mean-spirited, unprofessional schoolyard slagging. It's a great pity as Yates has a lot of experience to bring to the table. I like Chris's enthusiasm and positivity, but he gets rudely shoved off the air by Yates.

It's not really the kind of vibe I want to be exposed to first thing in the morning.

The concept and the format of the show are great,Ivan just needs to grow up and become more professional!

Or at least keep it till the last 5 mins of the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrbright

Sile S. in for Tom Dunne today - disasterous I think. Moncrieff is the best of the lot!

• Advertisement

I listened to her interviewing the winner of the BT young scientist a few months back,you could tell 30 seconds in she was lost,so she cut the interview after maybe 2 minutes without asking an intelligible question of him or hes project!

Absolutely nothing between the ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

What was the story wit that interview this morning with guy about the ufos? Really scraping to fill in a few minutes and got the impression from Ivan that he was lost with the interview and getting pissed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I love when Jessie Magee reads the news and says "I'm Jessie Magee" at the start. It really reminds me of Christina Applegate in Anchorman.

Ivan has bats in his belfry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Have to agree with you there. Ivan is acting very unprofessional lately. I think he is doing to get some sort of reaction. What really annoys me though is his lack of respect for the people they invite on the show if it is dealing with something he has a problem with. The way he treated the UFO guy the other day was a disgrace and then again this morning the guy on talking about bats. If Newstalk are going to invite these people onto the show they Yates should treat them with respect. The other week when he was having a go at people on tracker mortgages as well, saying they should be torn up and this is from the man that is claiming his ministerial pension.

Fair play to Paddy Creand (not sure of the spelling) when he hung up on him one morning. I would love to see guests boycott the show until Yates is either gone or starts acting in a professional manner.

• Advertisement

Paddy Creand was a disgrace that morning, he is a cheerleader for Manchester
    Utd and is I think regarded as a bit of a joke. I have yet to hear him be remotely objective or honest about Utd on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

In fairness that ufo interview was a waste of time for a breakfast news show and more like a moncrief type interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    Paddy Creand was a disgrace that morning, he is a cheerleader for Manchester.

I always find him this way, Mike.. Most contributors, like say Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton on Liverpool, still have a grá for the club, but can still comment objectively on a bad Liverpool player or a bad Liverpool performance...

Crerand seems unable to do similar, it's like he's defending his son or something.. He cannot accept any moderate criticism of Man Utd..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I always find him this way, Mike.. Most contributors, like say Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton on Liverpool, still have a grá for the club, but can still comment objectively on a bad Liverpool player or a bad Liverpool performance...

I think most Liverpool fans would accuse Whelan of being overly critical, his analysis during most of the Benitez years was laughably bad at times. Phil Thompson would be Liverpool's version of Crerand, funnily enough I don't mind Thompson's bias at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

mike65 wrote: »
    Paddy Creand was a disgrace that morning, he is a cheerleader for Manchester
    Utd and is I think regarded as a bit of a joke. I have yet to hear him be remotely objective or honest about Utd on radio.

Paddy Crerand has always been a ridiculous pundit.

When Cantona did his Kung-Fu kick in the crowd at Crystal Palace, Crerand said he should be applauded as it was something any man would do to defend his honour.

By that logic most matches would see the teams taking on the opposing fans within seconds of the kick off.

A lot of players have loyalties to their former clubs, some disguise it better than others, but Paddy Crerand is a league of his own for bias - he shouldn't be indulged by Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well I dont know, I dont listen to Ian Dempsey nor morning Ireland but I do listen to NT breakfast and I quite like the banter between Ivan and Chris.Yes Ivan can be a bit, well, lets say traditional to put it nicely;) in his views sometimes.But he is only playing devils advocate.You cant have guests on with just a one sided view.He certainly does like to berate MU all right. That fella that was on a while back who hung up the phone because Ivan was giving out about MU was been a total child about it.I cant listen to MI for too long, its just so bloody sterile I have to change over.:rolleyes:.Chris does get his own back on Ivan, but he can take it gracefully though.So all in all I like the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Rubik. wrote: »
    I think most Liverpool fans would accuse Whelan of being overly critical, his analysis during most of the Benitez years was laughably bad at times. Phil Thompson would be Liverpool's version of Crerand, funnily enough I don't mind Thompson's bias at all.

You cannot be serious?
    neris wrote: »
    In fairness that ufo interview was a waste of time for a breakfast news show and more like a moncrief type interview.

Doesn't excuse Ivan's lack of professionalism. Usually I don't mind Ivan that much, I assume all the stuff with Chris is just annoying banter that he'll probably tone down as some stage. I couldn't stand him when I heard the ufo interview. The interview wasn't about ufos anyway iirc, it was about a centre for people that had seen/claimed to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anyone else find Keith Barry REALLY annoying? Just listening to him on Moncrieff yet again with his pseudo psychology and he's really starting to p!ss me off.

did anyone hear the phone number to enter the comp tonight?

did anyone hear the phone number to enter the comp tonight?

I think you text Carlsberg, your nomination and the reason to the usual number - 53106.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Does anyone else get the feeling that Fionn Davenport is 'winging it' during his travel slot on The Right Hook ?

I have a (somewhat unfair) image of him browsing through the pages of Wikipedia during his weekly travel advice section.

I'm sure he puts a lot of work into it but it just doesn't come across on air. And Hook is the wrong man to pick him up on any errors as he has his own facts arseways most of the time as well. (His assertion on yesterdays programme that De Valera was born in Co Limerick was news to many listeners).

Hardly a week goes by when I don't find myself mentally correcting Davenport on at least one item he covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I'd say he's winging it to a certain degree but I think that's because Hook keeps interrupting him and throwing curve balls by reading random texts to him or butting in with his own opinions. I don't doubt he knows a lot about travel but George makes him look unprepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

I love the 2 of them together, I think it can be informative, they read a text of mine out once and it made me feel good cuz they liked my suggestion so I'm a perma fan! :p

It also helps that Fionn is lickable... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tapit54

Is it just me or has Newstalk's reception been shagged in the Cork city area since yesterday?

Looks like they have got out of bed and fixed the hissing!!

Mary Harney reportedly secures €450k settlement with Newstalk

3 hours ago 1,147 Views 4 Comments
    Share1 Tweet2
    phoenixtweet-390x285.jpg
    Image: @thephoenixmag via Twitter

THE FORMER TANAISTE and Minister for Health Mary Harney is reported to have settled her defamation case with Newstalk radio.
    The Phoenix magazine, due out in newsagents’ tomorrow, carries a story claiming that Harney secured a €450,000 payout from the Denis O’Brien-owned station over comments made about her by guest Nell McCafferty on the Tom Dunne Show.
    Paddy Prendiville, editor of the Phoenix, told RTE’s News at One that the comments had “resulted immediately” in Harney taking legal action against Newstalk. However, a potential High Court action has been avoided by the settlement.
    Calls to Newstalk management and Mary Harney’s legal team by TheJournal.ie were not returned this afternoon.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mary-harney-reportedly-secures-e450k-settlement-with-newstalk-131226-May2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

Newstalk should be complimented on their live football coverage, not because the commentary is great but becasue they are using Kevin Kilbane as a co-commentator. For the love of God hopefully they persuade him to go full time, its for a good cause :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Oh joy of joys - Marc Coleman is back snorting the way through his program, cutting everyone off and shouting everyone down.

Can we not keep the "Coleman at Large" program name and keep Shane Coleman as presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Irish Wolf wrote: »

Can we not keep the "Coleman at Large" program name and keep Shane Coleman as presenter?

I have to say, whilst I mainly enjoy Ivan & Chris, Shane Coleman has been doing a great job, especially presenting on his own this morning. It's the first time in a while I've tuned in for the extra 9-10am hour, and it seems to be flowing very naturally for him.

Maybe that Mary Harney sized hole in NT's finances may convince to get rid of some of their bigger, and poorer names.

(Not looking at Tom & Síle in particular. Much.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The payout will surely affect Newstalk in a few ways, some key staff being let go like producers editors etc.. their ability to get new radio sports rights might the new GAA rights they got be in trouble? And their sponsorship of the LOI must be looked at. OH and paying Dunphy mad money for 4 months of the year must go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

According to Newstalk themselves Off the Ball is at 44,000 and Breakfast show is 99,000 and Moncrieff 92,000.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement