Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

neris wrote: »
    looks like were in for a good 1 today just received the below on email re works industry.

"Teresa Heeney, Director of Services with the NCNA has just informed our Office that Joe Duffy from Liveline (Radio 1) will discuss Commercial Rates on his radio showthis afternoon. The show starts at 1:45pm and runs until 3pm.

You can email the show on joe@rte.ie<mailto:joe@rte.ie> you can call on 1850 715 815
    or text on 51551

Apologies for any cross emailing."

I think you're a bit lost. ;)

Thanks for the heads up anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    You must not be a regular listener - he is constantly attacking all of these groups especially the bankers and trade union leaders

Thanks for the headsup. There was me foolishly thinking that those who borrowed more than they could ever afford to repay ( including Ivan) might have had something to do with it. But now you've lifted the scales from my eyes !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Btr wrote: »
    Thanks for the headsup. There was me foolishly thinking that those who borrowed more than they could ever afford to repay ( including Ivan) might have had something to do with it. But now you've lifted the scales from my eyes !

Whoa – back up. You were accusing him initially of not criticising

Politicians
    Regulators
    Trade unions
    Bankers

You were totally wrong on that.

Of course people who over borrowed have a responsibility – he is critical of them too – indeed that group includes a lot of the tracker mortgage holders he was gunning for yesterday which you had a problem with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Politicians
    Regulators
    Trade unions
    Bankers

Of course people who over borrowed have a responsibility – he is critical of them too – indeed that group includes a lot of the tracker mortgage holders he was gunning for yesterday which you had a problem with[/QUOT

No I didn't - are you getting me confused with another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

telekon wrote: »
    Really?? I thought it was testicular cancer myself? :confused:

EEEK :confused: maybe it was, whatever explanation he gave in the documentary seemed to make sense to me at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

dh0661 wrote: »
    EEEK :confused: maybe it was, whatever explanation he gave in the documentary seemed to make sense to me at the time.

Fionn Davenport had testicular cancer and Chris, as someone said eariler, had Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Btr wrote: »
    No I didn't - are you getting me confused with another poster.

Oh yes, got you confused with Bamboozle - I replied to him - then you said "thanks for the headsup" - thought you were Bamboozle

sorry bout that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

thats it im turning off newstalk for the next week or so as there may be a chance that crap "song" that 11 year old boy sung on tom dunne this morning is played again! ffs its more annoying than rebbeca black. Can;t believe they are actually using it to promote his show!!!

Rubik. wrote: »
    Fionn Davenport had testicular cancer and Chris, as someone said eariler, had Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Ahh...sorry, my mistake. carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I enjoyed the April Fools item at the end.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the April Fools item at the end.

I've searched and searched and can't find that natural travel solutions website anywhere...:confused:

Niche service in this economic climate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

telekon wrote: »
    I think you're a bit lost. ;)

Thanks for the heads up anyway. :)

DOH Sorry bout that

Was wondering why that hadnt shown up on the thread i thought i had posted it on. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

The vacuous Amanda Fcukin Brunker yet again, tuning out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Politicians
    Regulators
    Trade unions
    Bankers

Of course people who over borrowed have a responsibility – he is critical of them too – indeed that group includes a lot of the tracker mortgage holders he was gunning for yesterday which you had a problem with

maybe i wasnt clear on my post, i'm a regular listener and agree he criticises politicians, regulators, unions and bankers, the point i was trying to make is that he should stay focussed on these rather than hysterically target those on tracker mortgages, sure if that's the case why doesnt he target people who dont bank on-line cause they're pushing up costs for those of us who do etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Anyone else suspect that Yates is a WUM who is happy enough to throw out these sort of comments in the full knowledge that Newstalk's coffers will be nicely boosted with all those 30c texts from people who are foolish enough to rise to his bait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Anyone else suspect that Yates is a WUM who is happy enough to throw out these sort of comments in the full knowledge that Newstalk's coffers will be nicely boosted with all those 30c texts from people who are foolish enough to rise to his bait?

Suspect ?

Its basic radio to get people involved and also people talking about it afterwards as we are now.

I listen and ignore most of what he says as he is just looking for people to bite................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

What's the bookies odds on -_- all presenters get commission on all those 30c replies. :rolleyes:

Dunphy retired to his Gîte again dunno who's standing in but he's not much good, very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunphy retired to his Gîte again dunno who's standing in but he's not much good, very slow.

It's Ger Colleran, a regular stand in for Dunphy. I listen in whenever he's presenting, just cannot listen to Dunphy.

He's not very impartial and I don't always agree with him, but he puts a bit of life into the show and less of the excruciating a$$ licking of the guests that Dunphy goes on with.

Anyway, it beats Marian on a Sunday....yaaaaaawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I quite like Colleran. Plays the culchie card a bit too much for my liking but as Cole points out, at least we don't have to listen to Dunph practically making love to right-wing nut jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

It was a bit of a free for all today, no control at all.

Extremely disappointed with Eamon last week sticking up for DOB. The previous week he exclaimed that there would be no spoofers or spin on his show and that's why his listernership was up, unfortunatley he didn't practice what he preached the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

omerin wrote: »

Extremely disappointed with Eamon last week sticking up for DOB. The previous week he exclaimed that there would be no spoofers or spin on his show and that's why his listernership was up, unfortunatley he didn't practice what he preached the following week.

Ye it got messy at times. Leo Vradker (sp) was very poor this morning, he got savaged a few times. He really showed inexperience as a government minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Yeah, but that's what made it so entertaining.
    The previous week he exclaimed that there would be no spoofers or spin on his show and that's why his listernership was up....

I've heard this quote being used as a promo for his show. All this coming from the ultimate spoofer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

I quite like Colleran. Plays the culchie card a bit too much for my liking but as Cole points out, at least we don't have to listen to Dunph practically making love to right-wing nut jobs.

I will have to respectfully disagree. Colleran is badly out of his depth in the presenters role. He does indeed play the culchie cute hoor card very well but it doesn't add anything to the flow of discourse. He tries to be an authoritative voice on matters that he doesn't have a grasp on. Perhaps if he was a bit more modest and let the real experts talk then I could find more time for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thats interesting

Oh come on! "Right wing nut jobs" according to you, is anyone who suggests a conservative outlook on society or economics.
    Tough! Us conservatives ain't going anywhere and Dunphy is great because he lets these sensible people speak their mind. The left are economically dysfunctional, money grows on trees, types! Thank God for Dunphy on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The previous week he exclaimed that there would be no spoofers or spin on his show and that's why his listernership was up, unfortunatley he didn't practice what he preached the following week.

The thing about that no spoofers rant, that they are now using as promo for the show, is that it is taken out of context. In debate about whether Joan Burton was a victim of sexism, a female guest complained to Dunphy that they there weren't enough female contributors on the show. The unintended implication of the rant that followed was - there are so few women guests because they don't fulfill the criteria of not being spoofers...etc. It was a real foot in mouth moment and the fact they are using it as an ad for the show is priceless - well, it amuses me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what happened with colleran and that newspaper columnist

i only caught the end of programme -where colleran gave out to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Whats the story with Jim Glennon? Is he on work experience with Newstalk? He seems to be covering 2 or 3 shows on the station as backup. I do like him as a co-presenter but he seems to be struggling today on Hook on his own in front of the mic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Whats the story with Jim Glennon? Is he on work experience with Newstalk? He seems to be covering 2 or 3 shows on the station as backup. I do like him as a co-presenter but he seems to be struggling today on Hook on his own in front of the mic.

He is ok on a Friday with Hook and Dave McIntyre but he is awful on his own. Had to turn it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement