Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

They're better that 70% of all the non-music radio shows put togethr. 85% if you count music shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Listened to the Dunphy show in full this morning for the first time. Michael O Leary, Jill Kirby, Dan Boyle & Karl Whelan were on the panel. Kirby spent the whole hour and a half so far up O Leary's arse that I felt embarrassed for her come the end. O Leary used the oppurtunity as a vehicle to advertise his company although he did make the occassional good point. Boyle just spent the time defending the Green Party. Whelan made the most salient points but contributed the least.
    Dunphy bringing up some rag article from the Mail seemed a strange call and was shot down with the disdain it deserved.
    The final half hour was dedicated to sport, ten minutes of which was a Giles appreciation call.
    Overall a mixed bag, mildly enjoyable and worth another listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Have Newstalk ababdoned their breakfast summer schedule already? Conor Brophy was back on at 6.30 am this morning. I'd say Breakfast Business at 7 am didn't go down too well when up against Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I caught a bit of Alan Short covering for Moncreif this week, pretty good, imo,
    fairly laid back, he needs to back off a tad during the interveiws though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Chasing Dreams

Poly wrote: »
    I caught a bit of Alan Short covering for Moncreif this week, pretty good, imo,
    fairly laid back, he needs to back off a tad during the interveiws though.

Yeah, I thought he was good. Had a bit of an obsession with skinny-dipping though.

I thought Giles was great as usual at the OTB roadshow on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Aidric wrote: »
    Michael O Leary, . O Leary used the oppurtunity as a vehicle to advertise his company although he did make the occassional good point.

I wonder what DOB would make of MOL as a guest on one of his stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Yeah, I thought he was good. Had a bit of an obsession with skinny-dipping though.

I thought Giles was great as usual at the OTB roadshow on Monday.

I thought he was much better than normal! Gilsey, I mean. Some genuine lol Moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

tbh wrote: »
    I thought he was much better than normal! Gilsey, I mean. Some genuine lol Moments

When John Giles has an audience, he plays to them and he is much less guarded than when in a studio.

He was equally good in another Off The Ball Roadshow last year. Also remember him singing a duet with Dana (Think it was on The Right Hook) at an outside broadcast a while back.

Some great stories the other night - he wasn't impressed that Dunphy and Ossie gave him the slip before they headed to Lillies Bordello!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else esp in South East finding NT reception is on/off? RTE and Today FM both loud and clear from Mt Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Apart from the occasional evening where I'll tune in to OTB for a while, I've completely given up on Newstalk.

And am feeling a lot better for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Did I hear right this morning, Has Yates left the breakie show for good?
    Hopefully not. I have got to like his interviews, especially the political ones. Couldn't listen to Byrne and Broffey, he's to nerdy and she's just...sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Did I hear right this morning, Has Yates left the breakie show for good?
    Hopefully not. I have got to like his interviews, especially the political ones. Couldn't listen to Byrne and Broffey, he's to nerdy and she's just...sh1te.

I heard that too. Might just be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Is he taking over from Hook?
    I get the feeling Hook is going to go full-time selling sky dishes.

He's filling in for Hook next for sure but I don't know if it's permanent. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the afternoon slot. He's good current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Have they filled the Lunchtime slot yet?

Damo is doing at the moment but the position hasn't been permanently filled yet AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Allegedly Claire Byrne is moving there in September when George Hook and Ivan Yates swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

parasite wrote: »
    :D:DBRILLIANT!!!Where has that clip been hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

:D:DBRILLIANT!!!Where has that clip been hiding?

Do you think he meant it?biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Marc Coleman has to be THE worst presenter I've ever heard on radio.. He cant get through a sentence without either spluttering or making a mistake or saying "eeeeeehhhhh"... awful.. Give the lad a bit of coaching before ye put him on national radio will ye ... ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Badabing wrote: »
    Have they filled the Lunchtime slot yet?

with such pun ability you could get an internship with joe duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Marc Coleman has to be THE worst presenter I've ever heard on radio.. He cant get through a sentence without either spluttering or making a mistake or saying "eeeeeehhhhh"... awful.. Give the lad a bit of coaching before ye put him on national radio will ye ... ffs

To me the Smug Smoothie Tom Dunne is worse and unbearable.He announced this morning that he loves alcohol and never has a hangover.But the smarmy preek is a fcuking Hangover! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Shameless promoting of IKEA today, I really hate Newstalk but I'm a bit addicted to it too. :(

My god Tom Dunne is sooooo boring.. Item on now about a lad who is putting on a different t-shirt every day and posting a picture of it on the Internet.. my god..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jesus, Mary White can rabbit on and on and on. What an annoying monologue on the lunchtime show for the last 10 mins.
    Come back Mary O'Rourke wherever you are.

Lapin wrote: »
    Jesus, Mary White can rabbit on and on and on.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

:D

A cuneen pun , to be sure! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well spotted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Tom Dunne on again talking about enjoying himself in Galway.Loves himself does the unctuous one.And he talked about how beautifully dressed the ladies in the Radisson were dressed last night adding: "we should dress like that more often" !! A Freudian Slip,no doubt.The ladies love him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement