Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

mike65 wrote: »
    its obvious enough that they do not send a pack of commentators to 5/6 venues for a matchday if one thinks about it.

True, but I'd imagine it doesn't do so for the same reasons that Newstalk aren't - cost. Today fm manages it, but they are in a much healthier financial position than that of Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Gavin Duffy doing Lunchtime gig on Newstalk? Chris O'Dounghue replacing Claire Byrne at Breakfast? Fact or Fiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Badabing wrote: »
    Chris O'Dounghue replacing Claire Byrne at Breakfast? Fact or Fiction

unless they've lined up a "name", I'd say this is a safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Isn't G Hook taking over breakfast in September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Word on the street is Hooky for Breakfast and Ivan for Drive. Straight swap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

bbability wrote: »

I'll miss George in the drivetime slot. Can be very refreshing compared to monotone Mary, or Matt Cooper. That said, I'll give him a chance against the Morning Ireland crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Street%20Person%20Laptop.jpg

word on the street....

A new Breakfast Show line-up of Hook, Jonathan Healy and Dave MacIntyre, would explain recent Fridays on The Right Hook. Could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

tbh wrote: »
    unless they've lined up a "name", I'd say this is a safe bet.

They'ld better first check out O'Donoghue's Coleman-esque version of John Ryan's(?) website, viz, broadsh*te.ie, during his stand-out, standin-in performance on Coleman at Large(sic) last night. Guests' guffaws were audible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Silence.

Rubik. wrote: »
    A new Breakfast Show line-up of Hook, Jonathan Healy and Dave MacIntyre, would explain recent Fridays on The Right Hook. Could work.

I'd like that. I enjoy listening to the three lads on Fridays. Apart from the fact I like Jonathan Healy and Dave MacIntyre, there's someone to argue with George Hook and add some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

delaad wrote: »
    They'ld better first check out O'Donoghue's Coleman-esque version of John Ryan's(?) website, viz, broadsh*te.ie, during his stand-out, standin-in performance on Coleman at Large(sic) last night. Guests' guffaws were audible!

Tough night old skin. Listening to Coleman and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Sergeant wrote: »
    Tough night old skin. Listening to Coleman and all that.[/QUOTE

Not a fan, eh? Am a bit confused as to the difference between him, Coleman, and Hook. Would appreciate enlightenment, if possible.

I think Chris O'Donoghue would be good on breakfast. Brighter (IQ wise) than Clair Byrne anyway. He does most of the production for the show now anyway so he may as well get a leg up a bit.

Anyway, Claire gave us another golden clanger this morning talking about the Leaving Cert. She was discussing The Irish paper and asked if a Gaelgeoir (correct spelling?) was given a harder Irish test than an ordinary student... Yeah, right Claire. Like an English speaker would be given a different English paper than an Irish speaker. Maybe she believes each student should have an individual test to suit their own circumstances. Anyway the interviewee was lost for words as was I - and that's rare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

just read on another forum that tom dunne is leaving newstalk

saints be praised :)

irishh_bob wrote: »
    just read on another forum that tom dunne is leaving newstalk

saints be praised :)
    If that's true then the whole radio business is shuffling. I won't miss him in that role. He was a good dj, not a good talk host.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i wouldnt put much faith in that thread.

it was based on a rumour that he was taking over 2fms breakfast show and theyve chosen....

...hector instead.

personally i think toms just on holidays. its gas though isnt it? things are so screwed up in radioland that anyone disappearing off the airwaves for a week merits a discussion on them doing a legger.

im not mad on tom. in fact i stream other programes to get passed that whole period of radio. but sile seioge is doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

sile seioge is doing my head in.

She is trying too hard. The guests don't have a chance to talk! Slow down Sile!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Hi. Just browsing this discussion. Sorry to disagree, but I really Like Tom Dunne on radio. I listen to radio a lot and sometimes I just want a break from all the doom and gloom. Dunner does this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Tom dunne aint the worst. He's better than the one they had in before. He'd wreck your head with the constant referencing of his something happens days but other then that I think he's good. I can't listen to Sile seoige. An absolute head melter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Hi. Just browsing this discussion. Sorry to disagree, but I really Like Tom Dunne on radio. I listen to radio a lot and sometimes I just want a break from all the doom and gloom. Dunner does this for me.

gotta agree with this. when i want a serious discussion, i'll know where to go. light hearted stuff with the odd good tune thrown in works a treat for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

toms not going.

theyre just shifting his show to start at 10 instead of 9 starting september.

theyve been pimping it all morning on newstalk today. i reckon its down to ivan yates getting that later start he was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm heard that promo, that'll disappoint many! Ivan Yates is moving to drivetime as far as I know. So if breakfast is changing its for Hooky, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

So the breakfast time airwaves is a choice between Hook & Hector :(

It kind of makes sense to have your most popular presenter doing the breakfast show, but there will be a trade off because Yates is bound to loss a fair few of the Right Hook's listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Rubik. wrote: »
    It kind of makes sense to have your most popular presenter doing the breakfast show, but there will be a trade off because Yates is bound to loss a fair few of the Right Hook's listeners

He may lose hook fans, but watch him win listeners from cooper and drivetime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk are doing another commentary, I'll be waiting for evidence of them being at St James Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Advert on newstalk said Tom Dunne will be starting at 10.00 from september. Does this mean a 3 hour breakfast show, or a 1 hr show at 10am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I presume Breakfast 7-10 Dunne 10-12, I'd say Pat Kenny is worried :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The way the repeats at night are played does my head in.The other night I was in the bath and had the repeat of culture shock on just before they went for a brake they said whats up next,I cant remember what it was but I remember thinking that will be interesting.So after the brake they cut to a entirely different show.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Dub13 wrote: »
    The way the repeats at night are played does my head in.The other night I was in the bath and had the repeat of culture shock on just before they went for a brake they said whats up next,I cant remember what it was but I remember thinking that will be interesting.So after the brake they cut to a entirely different show.:mad:

straight away this popped into my head

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement