Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Dunphy didn't have a sidekick.

And how long did he last? Plus the figures were bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Badabing wrote: »
    I presume Hook would have a sidekick if he's off to Breakfast, Morning Ireland have 4 presenters and Today Radio 4 something similar. Although Newstalk is mainly tabloid rubbish so it mightn't need such big resources.

Not sure Hook's ego could accommodate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Badabing wrote: »
    And how long did he last? Plus the figures were bad.

Did Dunphy not present the afternoon show on Today FM for years by himself as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Does anybody know when Sunday's 'Talking History' show is repeated on Newstalk? I have come across the repeat before and I thought it was 10pm on some week night, but I can't see it in the schedule on the Newstalk website.

Thanks!
    /M.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

AFAIK, It was repeated on Mondays, buy then Motormouth started.
    You can just get the podcast from the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Manuel wrote: »
    Does anybody know when Sunday's 'Talking History' show is repeated on Newstalk?
    I dont find it great to be honest. The pick very bizarre topics and sometimes they are let down by lack of knowledge.. I heard them say one week that a B52 flew in to the Empire State Building in 1945, and not one person in the studio could correct it.. texter eventually corrected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

hacx wrote: »
    AFAIK, It was repeated on Mondays, buy then Motormouth started.
    You can just get the podcast from the website.

True, but the podcasts seem to be edited "highlights" ... 30 mins out of a 2 hour programme, unless I'm mistaken ... open to correction here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Manuel wrote: »
    True, but the podcasts seem to be edited "highlights" ... 30 mins out of a 2 hour programme, unless I'm mistaken ... open to correction here.
    They took out the ads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone listening to the sports show? Its getting perilously close to unofficial match commentary (some GAA game of football with Dublin). I don't think they have the rights to this event as RTE are providing the real commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the sports show? Its getting perilously close to unofficial match commentary (some GAA game of football with Dublin). I don't think they have the rights to this event as RTE are providing the real commentary.

I noticed that as well, they are walking the fine line between score updates and the running commentary. Its funning too re the world cup matches, they will give a latest score and then shout 'Oh Messi just came really close following a through ball from Tevez. On the replay you can see the ball clearly touched a defender, should have been a corner!'

• Advertisement

I presume most have seen G hooks latest sky ad? You know the one where he tries not to sound contrived when he is talking about how we all used to have money but not any more and as such 'Sky care about you' or some other cringeworthy nonsense. I remember when he started rambling on about sky + on his show a few years back. You'd almost think he did it to catch there attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I presume most have seen G hooks latest sky ad? You know the one where he tries not to sound contrived when he is talking about how we all used to have money but not any more and as such 'Sky care about you' or some other cringeworthy nonsense. I remember when he started rambling on about sky + on his show a few years back. You'd almost think he did it to catch there attention.

George is but one of the 'Angry men media' they fooled me for a while but not any more...

Never heard 'Angry men media' before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Duncannon

endas time is over he should move on

Now that's random.

Never heard 'Angry men media' before.

yeah, thing is I am angrier than them..

however they make money off of 'the anger'

Fintan O'Toole, George Hook, Eddie Hobbs, Matt Cooper .... etc etc

It is all managed, all controlled another cog of the status quo..

there will be no revolution.

Barname wrote: »
    yeah, thing is I am angrier than them..

however they make money off of 'the anger'

Fintan O'Toole, George Hook, Eddie Hobbs, Matt Cooper .... etc etc

It is all managed, all controlled another cog of the status quo..

there will be no revolution.

no, its not that it wont be televised, there simply will be none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm pretty sure i just heard george hook going on about how out of touch politicians are because of the two fine gael TDs that were having a bet on who would win the vote.
    yes george. out of touch indeed. which is why i'm thinking about who to get my tv service from. at how much a month?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would say the Newstalk management were raging they cut the lunch time show to and hour this week with all the FG news.I was half expecting them to cancel the world cup show the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

This probably sounds like cheerleading but Dara O’Brien, on lately between Tom Dunne and 1pm, has been excellent I must say.

I’ve heard him engage intelligently (and humorously) with interviewees on all manner of subjects this week – Fine Gael, Anglo, the no confidence motion, the leaving cert, the World Cup

At the risk of stating the obvious, people like Claire Byrne, Eamonn Keane, Tom Dunne etc wouldn’t be in the same league.

I would go so far as to say that Ivan Yates and O’Brien are the top 2 talk jocks out there, bar nobody.

Hopefully he either replaces Tom Dunne or takes over the full former Eamon Keane slot permanently after the World Cup hour show finishes

Dara O’Brien isn't as good as Jonathan Healy in my book (and a few others round here), but still better than Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    This probably sounds like cheerleading but Dara O’Brien, on lately between Tom Dunne and 1pm, has been excellent I must say.

I’ve heard him engage intelligently (and humorously) with interviewees on all manner of subjects this week – Fine Gael, Anglo, the no confidence motion, the leaving cert, the World Cup

At the risk of stating the obvious, people like Claire Byrne, Eamonn Keane, Tom Dunne etc wouldn’t be in the same league.
    Yes...so News talk will drop him 'cos they're clueless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dara O’Brien isn't as good as Jonathan Healy in my book (and a few others round here), but still better than Keane.

a badly trained chimp would be an improvement on Keane.

And might have some guests on that were actually from outside munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Patser

Listening to the Breakfast show this morning and it was all business at the start. Checked my clock to make sure it was right as the business section is normally on from 6.30am to 7am, when Conor Brophy the regular business announcer says 'Claire and Ivan will be coming in at 7.30, since we've decided to start 30 minutes later to take advantage of the good weather'.

Good weather me hole, are they now routinely starting that bit later or is this week/day a once off. The whole reasoning behind starting at 6.30am was to get a 30 minute head start on Morning Ireland and hopefully catch and hold listeners. Is this another cost cutting at Newstalk? Their website makes no mention of it and still says the show starts at 6.30.

Sounds a bit makey uppey as they go-alongy.

Sounds a bit makey uppey as they go-alongy.

That's too technical man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Patser wrote: »
    Listening to the Breakfast show this morning and it was all business at the start. Checked my clock to make sure it was right as the business section is normally on from 6.30am to 7am, when Conor Brophy the regular business announcer says 'Claire and Ivan will be coming in at 7.30, since we've decided to start 30 minutes later to take advantage of the good weather'.

Yeah I heard that as well. I thought it sounded so Irish (if anyone was listening to Tom Dunne yesterday you'll know what I mean). Maybe they were both running late or something - very strange and unprofessional explanation anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Patser wrote: »

Good weather me hole, are they now routinely starting that bit later or is this week/day a once off. The whole reasoning behind starting at 6.30am was to get a 30 minute head start on Morning Ireland and hopefully catch and hold listeners. Is this another cost cutting at Newstalk? Their website makes no mention of it and still says the show starts at 6.30.

yeah - I was the same - felt like a Sunday or something! Connor Brophy said it was the summer schedule, it's a very bad decision I think. I'm not really interested in the bus. news, the majority of commuters heading out at 7 would want the news I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Have stopped listening to newstalk completely.

The breakfast show was the pits, but I used to listen to it against my better instinct (Claire Byrne is an empty vessel who seriously wrecks my head, and feels she has to share her stupid, dogmatic opinions a few times on every show).

I lost all respect for Ivan Yates following his ridiculous interview on lunchtime a week ago, re mal-treatment of the FG front bench - the people who thought they knew which way the wind was blowing to secure a minesterial position, but failed miserably. Poor Ivan thinks they are being urinated on now for their disloyalty - this coming from a man who ran away, and now gets up at 4.30am every morning while his business is suffering serious hardship and severeal of his shops have already closed. I now listen to RTE only. Goodbye newstalk, little wonder you are haemorrhaging a huge amount of listeners and losing money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement