Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Badabing wrote: »
    When you say excellent i hope you mean Off The Ball and not their weekend sports shows?

I mean OTB, havent heard a lot of the weekend one tbh, I understand from people here its not great. I know that he has been the sports editor at the station for a while there so deserves some credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

dh0661 wrote: »
    I posted this way back 19/03 (page 5/6) at this stage. No sign or mention of him yet on radio Kerry AFAIK.

There was a vacancy left in radio Kerry back in January for their morning currant affairs programme that seems to have been filled by a number of presenters since.

I posted that cause I'd just heard him saying his final thank-yous, just a celebration is all, not 'scooping' you ... He said he is moving to the Radio Kerry current affairs show, sounds like hell to me

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

When you say excellent i hope you mean Off The Ball and not their weekend sports shows?

Hes ok i heard him on at the weekend probably not the post you wanted to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I think "OK" is being overly generous. The problem with O'Sullivan is he is just not comfortable behind a radio mike. Everything is rushed, he fluffs nearly every sentence he speaks. Which makes it hard to follow what he is saying and, for me, impossible to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I think "OK" is being overly generous. The problem with O'Sullivan is he is just not comfortable behind a radio mike. Everything is rushed, he fluffs nearly every sentence he speaks. Which makes it hard to follow what he is saying and, for me, impossible to listen to.
    That's the problem I have with him too. He's probably a decent chap but very hard to listen to on the radio (especially when doing Moncrieff's show etc). I'd say he was pushed.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

parasite wrote: »
    I posted that cause I'd just heard him saying his final thank-yous, just a celebration is all, not 'scooping' you

Thanks for thinking I got offended -- me not at all :)

I never took it as "scooping" - all I wanted to say is that was mentioned on NT way back in March and still no sign of him on radio KY.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

1) Who's scooping who? Try 15/03.

2) He wasn't pushed.

3) He's not on in Kerry because he hasn't started there yet.

4) He is a decent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

More Music wrote: »
    1) Who's scooping who? Try 15/03.

2) He wasn't pushed.

3) He's not on in Kerry because he hasn't started there yet.

4) He is a decent guy.

You seem to know alot - tell us more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dh0661 wrote: »
    Thanks for thinking I got offended -- me not at all :)

I never took it as "scooping" - all I wanted to say is that was mentioned on NT way back in March and still no sign of him on radio KY.

I'm sure he was just working his notice - at least it seemed to be ok with Newstalk - not like when Ian D. left 2FM, or - wait, who was the other one? Maybe I'm thinking of Paul Williams getting gardening leave from the Sunday World.

I'd say it suits Newstalk, wouldn't be surprised to see Ger Gilroy filling his shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Is Claire Byrne clinically brain damaged? It would appear so on the basis of her “interview” this morning with Kevin Calanan of IMPACT.

On reflection however, she just couldnt be so dumb/lazy that she doesn’t understand the basic structure of these recent union negotiations with the govt – the union negotiators go in looking for what they can get, and then report back to their executive on what’s on the table from the government side.

She just could not be that dense or ill prepared – rather, this guy had to be portrayed as a failure in terms of the crap job he had done as a negotiator for his union bosses, enabling a whole series of tabloid style cheap shots from CB. There was absolutely no glimmer of any willingness or ability on her part to attempt to understand a complex subject.

Then she topped it off with a contribution to the sports news – “How’s the Chubby Cheater doing at the Masters?” Far be it from me to defend the Tiger man but isnt he generally considered to be super ripped? And anyway Claire – that Susan Boyle sanction you got, would you not leave out the personal appearance remarks, or if not why don’t you at the very least be slightly accurate with the jibes.

Is Newstalk really being told by some focus group that this is the kind of crap people want to listen to?

On the plus side, Dara O'Brien has been excellent filing in for Hook this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

Dara O'Briain is filling in for Hook!?

As for Claire Byrne....the less said the better. Anyway, picking faults in her is like shooting fish in a barrel. Suffice it to say, she's one of the WORST radio presenters I've ever come across.

bbor005 wrote: »
    Dara O'Briain is filling in for Hook!?

Dara O'Brien - Setanta Sports presenting Corkonian pundit, not O'Briain the BBC comic

bbor005 wrote: »

As for Claire Byrne....the less said the better. Anyway, picking faults in her is like shooting fish in a barrel. Suffice it to say, she's one of the WORST radio presenters I've ever come across.

No, what Im saying is that she couldnt be as dim as she seems to be - nobody could be. There has to be an editorial agenda to dumb evrything down to differentiate from Morning Ireland, and CB would be the embodiment of that agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    No, what Im saying is that she couldnt be as dim as she seems to be - nobody could be. There has to be an editorial agenda to dumb evrything down to differentiate from Morning Ireland, and CB would be the embodiment of that agenda.

She just seems to spout stuff off the top of her head. No interest in fact or research. I tried to listen for a while but had to go back to Morning Ireland. Ivan Yates isn't too bad and I thought his predecessor was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Imhof Tank wrote: »

On the plus side, Dara O'Brien has been excellent filing in for Hook this week.

I agree he has been very good this week. Don't forget that Dara had a morning show on Newstalk when it started as a Dublin only station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Today's Indo said Dunphy is about to sign on with Newstalk to do a weekend show.

He is taking over the Sunday 11am to 1pm slot from Karen Coleman,

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/herald-first-with-news-of-eamons-return-2133134.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

She just seems to spout stuff off the top of her head. No interest in fact or research. I tried to listen for a while but had to go back to Morning Ireland. Ivan Yates isn't too bad and I thought his predecessor was good too.

Yates gives the Breakfast Show some element of credibility; without him it would be completely sunk. Claire Byrne is way out of her depth. Traffic updates or weather reports would be more a more realistic use of her "talent".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamon Dunphy? Hmmmmm, his RTE radio show which was a Desert Island Disks without the disks was pretty poor, hopefully he'll be in a more cut 'n thrusting mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

As a matter of interest what did occur betwen 11.00 and 1.00pm on Pub..., sorry, Newstalk on Sundays? An hour of the Liberal Preacher, Ms K Coleperson was enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

As ever it's a big risk by Newstalk taking on dunphy on sundays, RTE have 250,000 plus with Marian which is unbelivable for a weekend show and Today FM have a popular show with Sam Smyth. He'll need 2-3 years to get even 80,000 to make it worthwhile to sell ads so it's a massive risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

He'll need 2-3 years to get even 80,000 to make it worthwhile to sell ads so it's a massive risk.

Dunphy is so unpredictable. They'll be lucky if he stays 2-3 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well that would be a huge improvement on Coleman, mind you so would a lot of things.

Some interesting figures in a Mail article today - "So, can Dunphy save Newstalk." The station is averaging 2 million to 3 million euro (a bit vague) loses annually. It has accumulated loses approaching 25 million euro and has never turned a profit in 7 years. With a wage bill of 4.7 million euro. Dunphy is supposed to be getting around 100,000 euros for his 2 hours show.

The slot he is taking over had around 30,000 listeners, compared to Financane's 337,000 and Sam Smyth's 110,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Well that would be a huge improvement on Coleman, mind you so would a lot of things.

Coleman finished her interview with the Icelandic ambassador (?) yesterday by asking if he had any concerns that Europe would hold Iceland financially liable for the volcano ash. It didn't sound like she was intending a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

That Una Mulally (on Moncrieff just now) sounds, like, so like that woman on the TV licence ad whose eyes will be "like, totally in bits", or something.

mambo wrote: »
    That Una Mulally (on Moncrieff just now) sounds, like, so like that woman on the TV licence ad whose eyes will be "like, totally in bits", or something.

+1

Poor old Sean is a sucker for drips like Mulally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What does this Mulally one be on talking about?

kraggy wrote: »
    What does this Mulally one be on talking about?

Good question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lol at the ad for tickets for Man united matches, when they were just talking about AIB's season tickets at Man U. Some coincidence!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement