Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Calhoun wrote: »
    Not only did he take over for OTB he brought a 7 day format, so id say there is a case of his way or the highway going on.
    Personally, I am preferring it these days to the last year or so of mcdevitt and co. I am certainly listening to it live more - I was pretty much using podcasts and "listen back", to skip through all the banter before they left. I think the current team have the slagging v serious balance much better than 2nd captains tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nathan Murphy took the TY Radio approach to fake arguing alright. He just tries way too hard. Gilroy debating amongst his production crew in the style of "lads in the pub having the craic" is so bad it has to be heard to be believed. I don't mind them otherwise but they're like robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

The lads-in-the-pub stuff mentioned above is pitiful. I can never stay tuned in for more than a few minutes. Kerrr-azzzy Kolm Parkinson (their go-to guy for knee-slappingly 'hilarious' stupidity) is the absolute pits, one the worst people to ever grace the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

caught some of the start of mark coleman last night and he wasnt coughing and spluttering down the airwaves for a change. In fact he sounded very composed and vocal. He had a good go at some anti austerity councilor or td who wouldnt answer a question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

David Mitchell on Moncrieff now - very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 tapit54

Looks like the weekly Technology slot on the Right Hook on Mondays has been dropped in favour of a medical slot with George's medical mate and his friday panel member, Dr Ciara Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

tapit54 wrote: »
    Looks like the weekly Technology slot on the Right Hook on Mondays has been dropped in favour of a medical slot with George's medical mate and his friday panel member, Dr Ciara Kelly.

Another reason for me not to listen in, i find myself turning over to Matt Cooper more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone else just getting white noise on the NT tv channel, been going on for me since at least Hook's show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

In fairness the dope who was on the technology slot was a bit clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

6781 wrote: »
    In fairness the dope who was on the technology slot was a bit clueless.

He came across to me as being up his own arse.

The whole technology slot was always a bit of a pantomime anyway. "Clueless old George gets taken in hand by the hotshot young hipsters and all their wondrous shiny new gadgets."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

The whole technology slot was always a bit of a pantomime anyway. "Clueless old George gets taken in hand by the hotshot young hipsters and all their wondrous shiny new gadgets."

It did have Jessica Kelly though......

Mmmmmm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Could be something to do with the Web Summit thingamajiger

Does your one have no patients to be treating though? Did she go on another rant about how we're all going to be fcuked in the face by the ebola?

Can't stand that woman.

To be fair if you listen to that slot you understand that George like to be buttered up, way to much it gets in the way of the tech bit.

The previous presenters Joe Drumdool (wrong spelling) and some lady from HP were really good.

Now its the teach old people how to use technology slot. I wouldnt mind either but George knows allot of the stuff anyway, he is very smart when he lets on to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Could be something to do with the Web Summit thingamajiger

Nah, it's gone a couple of weeks now and the girl that used to do it is now doing a weekly technology slot for Pat Kenny. Fionn Davenport disappeared from the Right Hook just as suddenly and again without any comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Nah, it's gone a couple of weeks now and the girl that used to do it is now doing a weekly technology slot for Pat Kenny. Fionn Davenport disappeared from the Right Hook just as suddenly and again without any comment.

All they need to do now is get rid of Bill Hughes's slot where he plays George's favourite songs and we might have a half-decent show again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have almost reached the end of the road with Newstalk and Today FM and it's the feckin non-stop Ad breaks with their 'talking down to you' style of Ads. 3 we mean business.... the fecking Blackrock Clinic and bloody Gaelige Gaisce...RTE is almost as bad. I'm going to have to get a decent wireless than only picks up the BBC - I miss the Shipping Forecast and the chimes of Big Ben. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

I have almost reached the end of the road with Newstalk and Today FM and it's the feckin non-stop Ad breaks with their 'talking down to you' style of Ads. 3 we mean business.... the fecking Blackrock Clinic and bloody Gaelige Gaisce...RTE is almost as bad. I'm going to have to get a decent wireless than only picks up the BBC - I miss the Shipping Forecast and the chimes of Big Ben. :D

and dont forget the threatening "we,ll take you to court style ads" for tv licenses & eflow

Anyone else just getting white noise on the NT tv channel, been going on for me since at least Hook's show...

Still going on, I'm wondering has it been switched to another channel or something...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

on the plus side, anyone noticed the sudden absence of the Irish Water ads, both on TV and radio...nice to see even Denis O Brien's Newstalk propaganda filled media stronghold bowing to pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

on the plus side, anyone noticed the sudden absence of the Irish Water ads, both on TV and radio...nice to see even Denis O Brien's Newstalk propaganda filled media stronghold bowing to pressure

Really? You've not being listening to Pat (I don't know what all the fuss is about) Kenny then? And the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

That dour Ruth Coppinger would drain the life out of you..

That dour Ruth Coppinger would drain the life out of you..

Lol? what is she saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol? what is she saying?

she mentioned commandeering wealthy people's stuff and getting rid of foreign direct investment as it wouldn't work within their ideal economy.

russia in 1917 was a beacon apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ivan Yates this morning "Students need a dose of the real world. My Young Lad is repeating first year in UCD, he's out most nights of the weeks, he has about 10 hours of lectures a week, he's lucky to make half of them. Hasn't a clue about hard work ..."

Pause, then Chris Donoghue replies
    I blame the parents :pac:
    Ivan walked into that one.

That last hour was a bit of a mess... People roaring over each other.... And John Drennon offers nothing but unfunny metaphors and unfunny analogies..

That last hour was a bit of a mess... People roaring over each other.... And John Drennon offers nothing but unfunny metaphors and unfunny analogies..

I think they cut the arse out of the political panel when Pat came in . It's always a 5-10 min slot with an ad inbetween when it used to be 45 mins .

Is there any person at that Web Summit that doesnt start ever single sentence with the word "so"..

I gave up listening to that segment ages ago because they always had Drennan or fellow windbag Michael O'Regan as the journo voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And John Drennon offers nothing but unfunny metaphors and unfunny analogies..

I bloody hate him and the absolute rubbish he spouts. Many a debate I've tuned out of when he's on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Man that parenting expert on Moncrieff is irritating. It was funny when a texter suggested a swift boot up the arse as a remedy to behavioral issues. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement