Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Another of my pet Newstalk hates is the way they support the mutilating of the English language: three that come to mind are Philip Molloy on the Right Hook Movie slot - segway - I can't find it in the dictionary; get-go by Jonathan Healy (does anybody really use that instead of saying at the start/outset etc...) and his favourite new expression of 'thrown under the bus'. It was gobdaws like Healy, Hook etc that were cheerleaders for 'going forward', 'we are where we are', 'pension pot' etcccccccccccccccc!!!!:mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How do you pronounce segue?

I've never heard anything other than seg-way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    How do you pronounce segue?

I've never heard anything other than seg-way.

It was wasn't the pronunciation that I was on about - it was the word itself. Thanks to your spelling I have now been able to look it up and find out what it means. I'm 55 and in all my life I can honestly say that Molloy and the "parrot" Hook are the only two people that I've ever heard use the word. I must have led a sheltered life. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It was wasn't the pronunciation that I was on about - it was the word itself. Thanks to your spelling I have now been able to look it up and find out what it means. I'm 55 and in all my life I can honestly say that Molloy and the "parrot" Hook are the only two people that I've ever heard use the word. I must have led a sheltered life. :D

Oh right! Sorry, I completely misunderstood your post then. :P

From "the get-go" also irritates me greatly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm not a fan of Ivan Yates. The obnoxious, smart-alecky tone always grated. This morning though, he pulled no punches with Mary Lou. I've never heard her sound so unconvincing.

Any idea what time that was at? I'd like to give it a listen.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Any idea what time that was at? I'd like to give it a listen.

I believe it was between 8:00-8:25.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

What is the point of the 630am business show? its only for a bout 15 minutes between the news headlines at the start and the breaks. The break at the end of the show is a joke. He goes to a break and then all he does after is say shows over see you tomorrow. cushy number

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

neris wrote: »
    What is the point of the 630am business show? its only for a bout 15 minutes between the news headlines at the start and the breaks. The break at the end of the show is a joke. He goes to a break and then all he does after is say shows over see you tomorrow. cushy number

5live have a similar 'wake up to money' show that starts at 5.30 for half an hour. getting up to be in for a show at that hour is not a cushy number. reading stuff from asian markets and overnight from USA would need to be done too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Does Colm O'Gorman ever stop giving out.. You'd think getting 110k a year from Amnesty would make you a bit more positive about life..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does Colm O'Gorman ever stop giving out.. You'd think getting 110k a year from Amnesty would make you a bit more positive about life..

He doesn't get all that money for saying everything is rosie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Along with Peter McVerry, Fungus Finlay & John O'Shea, O'Gorman is one of Irish lifes better known "Glass 1/2 empty" thinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Along with Peter McVerry, Fungus Finlay & John O'Shea, O'Gorman is one of Irish lifes better known "Glass 1/2 empty" thinkers

For a second there I was wondering why our heroic goal-scorer was a pessimist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

We'll, all of The people I purport to represent have a glass half full, but my glass is overflowing with gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Hooks show is a shambles today, Bobby Kerr and Shane Colman standing in for Hook at the "EY entrepreneur of the year awards" ( it's obviously been renamed to prevent Bobby from calling it "the EARNEST and Young entrepreneur of the year awards"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Robert2012 wrote: »
    Hooks show is a shambles today, Bobby Kerr and Shane Colman standing in for Hook at the "EY entrepreneur of the year awards" ( it's obviously been renamed to prevent Bobby from calling it "the EARNEST and Young entrepreneur of the year awards"

CanNOT listen to that man's voice.

Robert2012 wrote: »

:pac:

brooke 2 wrote: »
    CanNOT listen to that man's voice.

He has neither the voice for radio, nor the face for television, or the personality for either...I cannot understand how he has a media profile, other than as an example of somebody who should not be allowed anywhere near the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I think his business show on Sat morning is pretty good.

Poly wrote: »

Dave Fanning on 2fm has my business at that time on a Saturday :)

I think his show has come on in leaps and bounds over the last year or so.

His voice does grate, but the content on the show is pretty good in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I think his business show on Sat morning is pretty sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can't take to the man after he refused to pass on the VAT reduction to his customers a few years back.

Chris O'Dowd on the Moncrieff show now.

Hilarious combination!

Chris O'Dowd on the Moncrieff show now.

Hilarious combination!

he takes a similar approach to chatting up women as i do!

he takes a similar approach to chatting up women as i do!

Haha. His line "that was what I thought would impress women when I was in college" had me squirming uncomfortably in my seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Haha. His line "that was what I thought would impress women when I was in college" had me squirming uncomfortably in my seat!

What was his chat up line? Missed it listening to unfunny Friday :(

It wasn't a chat up line as such.

He reckoned, because he was tall, that he could swing his foot above anyone's head.

But he tried it after a few drinks, caught some poor girl in the temple, and knocked her clean out.

Very funny show today.

Sean delaying for the news: "There's no one here to read the news...eh...maybe that's 'cos...em...nothing happened today."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This is brilliant , I could listen to this dude all day! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

is it just me, or is moncrieff strictly allergic to criticism ?

any time i've heard a critical text being read-out, he goes on a long, awkward, extra-jugular defensive.

he's the weak chink in the NT weekday schedule IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement