Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

BreeVdK wrote: »
    At two minutes to 9

The best thing of being tuned in at two minutes before nine is being able to switch station before Tom Dunne starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 totierne

What other talk radio is there - when sport is on newstalk 106 is rte 1 or country radio ! the only options (or long wave/computer to bbc radio4)...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

London station LBC 97.3 is good!

www.lbc.co.uk

I listen often. Its phone-in based programmes, they have some great presenters.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 totierne

Hi,

I have added some of their podcasts to my podcast list.
    Odd some are pay for and some you need to just register for.

Regards,
    Turloch

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

BreeVdK wrote: »
    Ok, I've decided to move to Morning Ireland ! The other morning, the big question was 'yes or no' to Xmas parties and to text in as they would be talking about it 'later'. At two minutes to 9, they began interviewing two people about Xmas parties and this lasted just over a minute and then finished the 'feature' by saying that the texts were divided on the matter ! I just thought to myself how sad they must think we are - I mean, who texts in at firstly 30c a text and secondly, knowing they are making so much money per text?

Firstly, Morning Ireland is on RTE Radio 1, and secondly, they dont charge 30c per text, that's what Newstalk do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Big Tone...I think you mis-read the post by BreeVdk.

They were pointing out why they've left Newstalk and moved to Morning Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

When the Maroon bros come on I usually chaneg but they were funny today

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had to laugh at Claire Byrne last week complaining about everyone talking about the recession. When it was first "declared", she herself wouldn't stop talking about it.

"So your father died from cancer ten years ago?"
    "Yes"
    "And what part do you think the recession played in that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

parasite wrote: »
    I just thought I'd use this thread to vent about Marc Coleman and his nervous tick of a spluttered sneeze/cough/hiccup, it actually makes me feel ill :confused:

You're not alone in that. He never comes across well IMHO.

I also wonder about an economist who writes a book called The Best is Yet To Come right before the recession started.

41Lj93UNffL._SL210_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

off the ball is a good show, even though johnny giles on a thursday night can be a bit of a pain. have to say i have a bit of a soft spot for tom dunne too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

It was my first time listening to the Breakfast show between 6.30 and 7.

I was a little bleary eyed but i'm pretty sure they had nothing to actually say, most of the time seemed to be spent filling, talking about the papers.

then they had a couple of their own NT106 people come in to talk about yesterdays news.

is that the norm?

Just because they're on before Morning Ireland doesn't make them any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Since September Newstalk have got rid of 3 presenters and replaced them with 1, credit crunch must be affecting Denis o' brien.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Did late night live get the chop..?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sadly Tom Dunne is turning into Gerry Ryan, he keeps mentionting his wife at home and what she says or does or what she gives out about, NT are obiously going after the housewifes market between 9-12.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is Philip Molloy gone from the movies slot on the Right Hook? I've not listened in some time, but I still get the notes via email and they say it's different guy. I might unsubscribe.

About the only radio I go for now is podcasts from NPR and t'Beeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Is Philip Molloy gone from the movies slot on the Right Hook? I've not listened in some time, but I still get the notes via email and they say it's different guy. I might unsubscribe.

About the only radio I go for now is podcasts from NPR and t'Beeb.

It would seem so:
    Join George and Karl MacDermott on Wednesdays at 18.30 to discuss everything cinematic, from the latest releases to reminiscing on the classics. If you would like to be added to the weekly movie mailing list, which include reviews, movie news and opportunities to attend special advance movie screenings, simply email movies@newstalk.ie . To unsubscribe send a mail to movies@newstalk.ie with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I actually don't mind Eamon Keane, although I think the show is far better when he's not there. When Nell McCafferty opens her gob to 'contribute' to his show though, sweet mother of God, I have to get a new radio a couple of minutes later.

Did anyone hear Hook last Friday night? Someone texted in to give out to him because he seemingly (personally) gave out economic advice when he had no expertise in economics. While I didn't hear the advice he gave, it was a cue for Hooky to rant about how his show has consistently been right on the economy when the government and most of the contributers to his show were wrong, conveniently forgetting that he probably won't have much of an idea on economics if it weren't for said contributers...

The man drives me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sneakers

Dub13 wrote: »
    Did late night live get the chop..?

Late Night Live, Splanc and Culture Shock were all cut from the schedule in the last couple of weeks. A real shame.

One thing I have noticed about Newstalk over the last few weeks and its a good thing not sure if they made a conscious decision or not but,they seem to not mind running late and having the news a couple of min late.They used to rush in a cut people off just so the news could be bang on time,I don't care if the news is a couple of min late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I do, smacks of lousy timing keeping, an inability to judge scheduling within the programme.

mike65 wrote: »
    I do, smacks of lousy timing keeping, an inability to judge scheduling within the programme.

Yea but sometimes they were cutting off a minister who was talking about important stuff,surly the news could be a couple of min late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, Keane is always apologising to the newsroom for going over; and then justifying it with, "oh that earth-shattering news we just broke a moment ago — Irish beef food safety tests are unfavourable — yes shocking, blah blah."

I think a bit of flexibility is a good thing but Keane probably abuses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yea but sometimes they were cutting off a minister who was talking about important stuff,surly the news could be a couple of min late.

I disagree Dub13, and I had the distinct impression that Newstalk would be an Irish version of Radio Five Live (and indeed thats what we were promised at the outset), and as such they should at least have accurate Clocks for the News on the hour every hour > and on Time.

If they want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Badabing wrote: »
    Sadly Tom Dunne is turning into Gerry Ryan, he keeps mentionting his wife at home and what she says or does or what she gives out about, NT are obiously going after the housewifes market between 9-12.

...And we all know what happened to Gerry and his big mouth!

I am finished with Newstalk,I have been listening to them since the start and use to listen to it all the time.Its just getting worse and worse.

Today was the last straw,Hook was in a shop window doing his show.Now thats fine I don't no why anybody would be interested in listing to a radio show thats in a shop window.I don't care were they do the show from but I don't want to hear about it every 3 min,and when I can hear restaurant noise in the background its to much.Why should I listed to sub standard sound and this coming at a time when the content is getting alot more tabloid like.

I switched over to Mat Cooper,it was the first time I have ever listened to him and it was fine,at least I did not hear people in the background eating there dinner or baby's crying like on newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You never listened to The Last Word? Wow! You'll find its a MUCH more consistent programme which broadly operates at a higher hard current affairs level. Cooper tens to go big on stuff like transport, infrastructure, economics as thats his own background with the Sunday Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The Breakfast show is really p**sing me off. We get the news at 6.30 am, then drivel for about 5 mins from the 2 presenters (sometimes it is interesting). But the problem I have is after the 5 min ad break we get the papers (use to like the guest reviewer, what happened that?) and then Conor Brophy (who I like) gives us the news headlines but only manages to gives us details on one story because there is no time. Then another 5 mins break and sports which we have heard already after 6.30 headlines and will hear again 8 mins later (I'm a sports nut but jeez even I'm bored at this). Any chance of extending the Business news and cutting the drivel or is it because they are now sharing Conor Brophy with Today FM they have cut his time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I am finished with Newstalk,I have been listening to them since the start and use to listen to it all the time.Its just getting worse and worse.

Today was the last straw,Hook was in a shop window doing his show.Now thats fine I don't no why anybody would be interested in listing to a radio show thats in a shop window.I don't care were they do the show from but I don't want to hear about it every 3 min,and when I can hear restaurant noise in the background its to much.Why should I listed to sub standard sound and this coming at a time when the content is getting alot more tabloid like.

I switched over to Mat Cooper,it was the first time I have ever listened to him and it was fine,at least I did not hear people in the background eating there dinner or baby's crying like on newstalk.

I gave up on them 6 months ago. It had so much potential at the start and was improving but since it went national has gone to the pits. I would stll listen to Off the Ball but its timi isn't great for me. I'm sick of Hook, always hated Keane, the breakfast show is grating and the weekend shows were tedious. But most of all I hate the feel of the station- the production values annoy me, there seems to be a concerted effort for a dumb downed station and obviously the '30c text'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I hate the way the presenters keep touting for those 30c texts. Today I was listening to the sports show and the presenter (can't remember which one it was) said he'd eaten a whole basket of chicken at a Christmas party the night before. Comments to 53106 for 30c... Anyone who texts in deserves to be ripped off IMHO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement