Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jerry Sullivan - how the fupp did he fake his way into radio?

Ahh, arrrrr, ehhhh, ohhhhh, errrrrrrr urrrrrrr, mmmmmm etc for 4 hours

Jebus.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Credit where it's due at last.

George was ploughing today and it all sounded pretty good. No return delay from the telephone guests either.

Well done.

Newstalk seem to have put a lot of resources (for them) into this - the morning Ger 'n Clair show also live with perfect sound.

Mike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yes its mad that they can get the sound right from a field but not from Hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

I heard it all today. George Hook did a two-way with the station's business correspondent. Hook said the guy was back at base in Dublin. Unlike previous OBs, the audio quality was great tonight. I thought for one second that NT had upped its game. However, when the biz corr came on he was on a phone. What's that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Maybe the business guy wasn't in NT HQ. No reason why they can't do a 2-way from an OB to the studios at the same time. They pretty much do it when handing over and back to news etc.

LOL Dub13 about the field :D

Newstalk are out alot lately with their new OB truck. A Newstalk mug to the first person who posts photos of George broadcasting from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

More Music wrote: »
    Maybe the business guy wasn't in NT HQ

I can only go on what Hook said, which was the correspondent was joining him from their studios in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Have to say I have found Ivan Yates, sitting in for Hook this Thursday and Friday, really excellant.

He has a pretty unique and informed perspective on business/ politics and a sense of humour.

Compare that to, for example, Clare Byrne -what the hell would she know about issues facing employers/ hse managers? Yet she'll be there every morning putting the boot in.

Im not saying Ivan Yates knows everything about everything, but he does come up with some genuine insights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

M'eh there's something about Ivan Yates I just don't like on radio. I can't put my finger on it, but something just grates with me.

On a positive note, I have to say that Fionn Davenport is excellent on Cultureshock on Saturday nights. One of the best programmes on radio at the moment IMO. Just a pity he's on in when feck all people listen to radio Could they not do a swap and put him on Saturday mornings instead and leave Cathy Barry's inane blah on in Saturday evenings?

Nope cos kulture is not to be seen or heard during daylight hours. Advertisers just hate it - unless its in youghart.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Oh no, Eamon Keane is back :eek:
    How much better was the guy (never really caught his name) standing in for him the last 1-2 weeks!

:D Keane on switch off

John Keogh is the other chaps name I think

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Has Ger Gilroy left the breakfast show or on long holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

I will never understand how Newstalk keep allowing Eamonn Keane back into the building after his leave.

John Keogh really shows how this programme should be done.

It's back to C.D.'s/any other station/sticking cotton buds so far into my ears that it makes me cough for me between 11:00 and 14:00.

Chiron wrote: »
    I will never understand how Newstalk keep allowing Eamonn Keane back into the building after his leave.

John Keogh really shows how this programme should be done.

It's back to C.D.'s/any other station/sticking cotton buds so far into my ears that it makes me cough for me between 11:00 and 14:00.

Agree 100%, Keane has 52,000 listeners which isn't exactly setting the world on fire in 2 years on air. An hour long lunchtime would better suit him as he waffles so much the show drags on.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I put on Moncrieff earlier, I used to listen every day but now it's once in a blue moon. He read out a text from a woman who bought a hula hoop but didn't know how to use it. She wanted to know where she could go for lessons on how to use it.

I turned off. Again.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jmz

We have a channel called NewsTalk here and it's the same way (I wonder if it's owned by the same company?)

I timed it. 22 minutes of real content per hour. I was counting the traffic reports and "news" as commercials because it's all just repeated filler anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

vibrant wrote: »
    He read out a text from a woman who bought a hula hoop but didn't know how to use it.

Possibly not as inane as one may first imagine. It was a 'follow up' text to a hula hoop-maester guest that he had on earlier during the week. Now that was inane. However there's nothing much wrong with that. If one was to listen to a show that was consistently airing items that one individual liked there'd be a lot of people not liking it. I like a show where i only enjoy 35% of its content as that leaves a good 65% to spread around to other listeners, doing other things with different tastes and interests. Such as hula hooping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Badabing wrote: »
    Agree 100%, Keane has 52,000 listeners which isn't exactly setting the world on fire in 2 years on air. An hour long lunchtime would better suit him as he waffles so much the show drags on.

+1 Heard Keogh and is streets ahead of Keane.

Nice snappy, in control, none of the auld fcukin drooley guff Keane goes on with.

"Bear with me on this.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

At some stage during tomorrow's show we should all text..."Bear with me on this Eamon, stop insulting my intelligence"

53106, it would be worth the 30c if he was to get the message

• Advertisement

This will need a bit of planning, can we all agree a time - say 1 pm exactly?

Mike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote: »
    This will need a bit of planning, can we all agree a time - say 1 pm exactly?

Mike

No a random time would be better say 13:08,no point in doing it when the news is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Just listening to Moncrieff, and that dude that talks to kids in schools, Henry McKane or something, whats the story with that guy?? does he always talk like that??:confused: so annoying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I just thought I'd use this thread to vent about Marc Coleman and his nervous tick of a spluttered sneeze/cough/hiccup, it actually makes me feel ill :confused:

I like Off the Ball most of the time when their not waffling and talking crap but Gerry o'Suillivan is on tonite so the radio goes straight off:mad: How does he get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it really necessary for the newsreaders to refer to "gangland thugs" when talking about the recent killing of that bloke in Limerick? I'm not interested in your opinions, just tell me the f*cking facts :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

That comedy slot is a new low imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Here Here, the so called comedy slot is not in away shape or form amusing. Sorry Joe if you're reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Moncrieff spins a filmy pleasant little web of out of nothing.
    I don't really like his show but he's good at his job.

Money talks and bullsh1t walks why is Eamonn Keane still there and is he Fergal Keane's brother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Ok, I've decided to move to Morning Ireland ! The other morning, the big question was 'yes or no' to Xmas parties and to text in as they would be talking about it 'later'. At two minutes to 9, they began interviewing two people about Xmas parties and this lasted just over a minute and then finished the 'feature' by saying that the texts were divided on the matter ! I just thought to myself how sad they must think we are - I mean, who texts in at firstly 30c a text and secondly, knowing they are making so much money per text?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement