Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

You must not listen to it the other 9 months of the year then on sundays? They have a live feed from five live covering English soccer for 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Only on Sundays. RTE have live GAA almost 12 months of the year, they even cover live Allianz league games, even the "fans" don't bother their asses going to the games, so I can't imagine they get hgue listenership figures for them.

I usually have matches on Sundays. Nobody forces me, or anyone to listen to Newstalk, if they're covering Eircom League or Golf I switch off, or go make tea, same with Darts and Snooker I generally don't listen either. I wouldn't be bothered listening to it on any station though.

Also, how can you commend Today FM's live soccer coverage and then knock Newstalk? Both get the same live feed, only the arrangement is that Newstalk get one of the days and Today FM the other.

My point being that if Newstalks weekend shows have any future they must pick up live events, Rte cover all sports on their shows and do it very well 12 months of the year, there is no point in Newstalk having so many ads if no one is listening because as you know revenue is bottom line for them. Re: Today fm you are wrong they have their own commentators at the matches and go around the grounds with their own peple at it, Newstalk just take the live feed and have no interaction with commentators etc.. Today fm covearage is far superior imo and also their live after 5 phone in show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Again, RTE have huge revenue so can afford to cover that number of live events that only a handful of people will have any interest in. It's the same with their GAA television coverage.

Newstalk had all of the Leinster rugby games at one stage, but that's gone now since they went national, their Rugby World Cup coverage was brilliant, I'm not George Hook's biggest fan, but Hugh Cahill was great. When ITV and TV3 were boring people to tears with their commentary at least Newstalk kept it entertaining. It's just a pity that they obviously can't afford to have as much live coverage of sporting events.

RTE barely acknowledged the Irish cricket team prior to their trip to the World Cup, Jerry O'Sullivan had been talking about it prior to Ireland even qualifying for it and had excellent previews etc. before it.

Another example is when RTE roll out the likes of Marty "you've been tangoed" Morrissey and George bloody Hamilton to cover rugby games, they clearly have no idea what they're talking about and are an embarrassment. At least Newstalk tend not to put people covering events and sports that they have no interest in or knowledge about.

Again, this discussion is just going around in circles, I'm going to continue to choose Newstalk over RTE and especially Today FM for their sports coverage. You can listen to whoever you want, I obviously just have different expectations when it comes to sports programming.

For every George Hamilton you have a Michael corcoran and for every jerry o' suillivan you have a Eoin mcdevitt so lets not go there, we obiously have different expections and thats fine you prefer cheap bad editing terrible presenters and so on, i prefer Today fm for their soccer coverage and Rte for their general coverage of all sports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i love OFF THE BALL , the banter between the presenters is while smug in a thoroughly middle class way , is very witty none the less
    its a refreshing change to listening to des cahill on rte

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

One thing bothers me about people who stand in for Hook,it happened with David Norris last Friday and has happened a few times in the past.The last 30min of the Right Hook on Friday is always Sport,David Norris stud aside and let one of the Off the Ball lads stand in for the sports bit.Fair enough maybe he does not like sports or just does not feel comfortable doing it.

Its my opinion that if you cant do the full show you should not get the gig.Its kind of like a taxi driver getting out 80% into your trip and letting another driver take you the rest of the way.Its just not professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Badabing wrote: »
    For every George Hamilton you have a Michael corcoran and for every jerry o' suillivan you have a Eoin mcdevitt so lets not go there, we obiously have different expections and thats fine you prefer cheap bad editing terrible presenters and so on, i prefer Today fm for their soccer coverage and Rte for their general coverage of all sports.

No need to be such an ass because someone verbally battered you.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

You can please some people half the time.........................

Amz dosen't like it when RTE use commentators for rugby who don't know their stuff. Dub13 doesn't like it when Newstalk take off David Norris for sport and use somebody from OTB who knows his stuff.

Quote: ....Its kind of like a taxi driver getting out 80% into your trip and letting another driver take you the rest of the way.Its just not professional.

Or maybe like the anesthetist doing their bit and the surgeon doing the rest! That's not unprefessional.

More Music wrote: »
    You can please some people half the time.........................

Amz dosen't like it when RTE use commentators for rugby who don't know their stuff. Dub13 doesn't like it when Newstalk take off David Norris for sport and use somebody from OTB who knows his stuff.

Quote: ....Its kind of like a taxi driver getting out 80% into your trip and letting another driver take you the rest of the way.Its just not professional.

Or maybe like the anesthetist doing their bit and the surgeon doing the rest! That's not unprefessional.

I assume you're referring to Norris as an anesthetist? Well, he puts me right to sleep!

HAR, HAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

LOL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Have to say I respect a guy like Jerry O'Sullivan, 4 hours locked up alone with no sports rights for 3 months, the occasional guests, heaps of texters and reading out the famous 'texts cost 30c about 100 times' too its a wonder he doesn't go mad. One thing I dont get about Newstalk with no Championship GAA is the whole score flash rights. They can't cover from the stadium the scores, Today FM have those rights. But both are now owned by Dennis O'Brien, what use is it having TFM holding these rights. It would make sense for it to be on NT, I mean 4 hours on the Weekend for sport, TFM doesn't have that. They are further crippling NT's sports coverage at the weekends with no logic in my mind. Is there a requirment for TFM to cover sports like there is news? I mean if not, I can envisage the Sat footy and those other things moving to NT at some stage. Not to mention that one day O'Brien will probly seek to move The last word to NT, pointless competition at the moment for him.

I'm a sports nut tbh and i listen to quite a lot of sports radio from both the States and the UK too. ESPN radio, talksport and 5live go down the road of heavy banter between the hosts like OTB(though OTB is mild compared to some of the ESPN). A number of reasons I reckon; the listeners to these shows are usually very into sport-if you have a 3hr sports prog on you like it a lot, therefore the presenters don't have to really fill the listeners in like a general news show with a bit of sports like the last word. A previous poster said that they preferred the final hour of The Last Word, fair enough but that really fills a different function-its in a general show so has to be broader and get to the point. Also hosting a 3 hour radio show with a lot of guys(majority in the sports media), banter comes easy rather than TLW where its within more serious content and that aint gonna happen.

Ekels wrote: »
    No need to be such an ass because someone verbally battered you.

Yeah right, im entitled to my opinion, i prefer Rte and Today fm end of story.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yeah right, im entitled to my opinion, i prefer Rte and Today fm end of story.

No, it was the cheap jibe at Newstalk that you decided to lob into the comment that was plain silly. It was just because you knew that you couldn't form an articulate response to Amz.

No, it was the cheap jibe at Newstalk that you decided to lob into the comment that was plain silly. It was just because you knew that you couldn't form an articulate response to Amz.

Thats your opinon, amz likes newstalk and that paticular show i respect that, i think the show is badly edidited and i don't rate the presenter thats my opinion. What's a cheap jibe to you? Is slagging marty morrissey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long Claire McKeown has been on or if it's permanent but it's been for at least a month. I used to enjoy Roisin Ingle but switch off instantly when I hear her prattling on about nothing.

I can't understand a word she says. I'm all for having people with storng regional accents on the radio, but McKeown needs subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭stepinnman

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long Claire McKeown has been on or if it's permanent but it's been for at least a month. I used to enjoy Roisin Ingle but switch off instantly when I hear her prattling on about nothing.

I couldn't agree more - I've been a huge fan of Newstalk from day one and whilst the Roisin Ingle-hosted "Sunday Edition", or whatever it's called didn't particularly appeal to my sensibilities (not being a woman or a gay man) it certainly fulfilled it's "light and fluffy" remit and was utterly inoffensive. The kind of thing you could have on in the background in the morning.

Since Claire McKeown has taken over it is actually unlistenable too. Were Roisin Ingle had a genuine, likeable personality, McKeown has a permanent faux-smile plastered across her face (I imagine - it being Radio!). She never seems to have any genuine feel for any of the "stories", and I use that word lightly. Whilst tales of flavoured body wax and designer pooches aren't exactly hard-hitting there is a way of handling them that, while accepting their vapidity still manages to inform and entertain the listener.

Whilst I'm on a rant does anybody else think that Eamon Keane is the least hard-hitting "hard-hitting Journalist" there has ever been. The fact that he has to constantly remind himself just how tough-talking he is should be evidence enough! I find him completely obnoxious and self-serving and cannot listen to him at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Curious, now that Claire is on her summer hol's I am beginning to enjoy the 'Breakfast Show' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

stepinnman wrote: »
    Whilst I'm on a rant does anybody else think that Eamon Keane is the least hard-hitting "hard-hitting Journalist" there has ever been. The fact that he has to constantly remind himself just how tough-talking he is should be evidence enough! I find him completely obnoxious and self-serving and cannot listen to him at all!

click :pac:

Mike.

ArthurF wrote: »
    Curious, now that Claire is on her summer hol's I am beginning to enjoy the 'Breakfast Show' :rolleyes:

Yes I agree,It seems a lot more balanced and not as rushed.The business guy (cant remember his name) is not bad.

• Advertisement

ArthurF wrote: »

I'm finding that lad that usually does the business to be very good.

Whilst I'm on a rant does anybody else think that Eamon Keane is the least hard-hitting "hard-hitting Journalist" there has ever been. The fact that he has to constantly remind himself just how tough-talking he is should be evidence enough! I find him completely obnoxious and self-serving and cannot listen to him at all![/QUOTE]

100% agree.

Good lord, anyone catch the promo for Orla Barrys Life?

It starts with 10 seconds of demonic cackling which would be appropriate if you are the bad ghost in a Scooby-Doo adventure, then "life with Orla Barry 11 am".

orla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpgorla%2Bbarry.jpg

:pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm finding that lad that usually does the business to be very good.

Me too. He's kind of laid back, so it's not too stress-y first thing in the morning - but he has a grasp of what's going on.

cuckoo wrote: »
    Me too. He's kind of laid back, so it's not too stress-y first thing in the morning - but he has a grasp of what's going on.

Yes and he is not afraid to ask the hard questions when required.Also he can jump from side to side when doing an interview,I never know which side he agrees with.This is a good think in a presenter,when Claire is there you always get a feel for which side she agrees with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I listen to the Breakfast show, by and large I think its grand. It annoyed me today however when the gave airtime to promote Cian fcuking Egan and his new girl band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yes and he is not afraid to ask the hard questions when required.Also he can jump from side to side when doing an interview,I never know which side he agrees with.This is a good think in a presenter,when Claire is there you always get a feel for which side she agrees with.

Agreed. Claire Byrne should stay on her hollyers and never come back. I appreciate that Newstalk are trying to have their breakfast show less stuffy than Morning Ireland (not a bad thing) but we really don't need to know what she thinks about every topic that comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Hahaha, brilliant :D
    johnf&#225 wrote: »
    It is becoming an embryonic 24/7 version of the Adrian Kennedy Phone Show

• Advertisement

Anyone listeing to Your Call (not with Brenda Power) the guy who is filling in is desperatly trying to engineer some sort of controversy about "dem foreigners taking our dole money" and is singularly failing to induce any cretins into calling. Everyone is being reasonable and clearly this is not whats required. I'll listen for a bit more and see if anyone bits.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement