Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Newstalk is fast becoming the Sky News of radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's particularly poor this week. Lots of stand-in presenters who aren't that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone listeing to Your Call (not with Brenda Power) the guy who is filling in is desperatly trying to engineer some sort of controversy about "dem foreigners taking our dole money" and is singularly failing to induce any cretins into calling. Everyone is being reasonable and clearly this is not whats required. I'll listen for a bit more and see if anyone bits.Mike.

I believe the guy filling in was head of news John Keogh. He used to work for Sky News Ireland.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Newstalk is fast becoming the Sky News of radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

In fairness to NewsTalk Talking History is one of the best shows on Radio.
    I used to enjoy it. I'm often driving at that time on a Sunday evening. The radio in my new car has no Long Wave so I can't get Radio 4 (which would always be my first choice) so Talking History is the only thing on.

But I find lately I keep turning it off and shoving in a CD or plugging in the MP3 player. It's like an Irish Times history programme. Geoghegan in particular is so bloody smug. Americans (the Republicans, not the nice ones you could invite to dinner), the British (the Conservatives, ditto), Catholics — any position associated with them is not so much openly ridiculed, which would at least be honest, but is referred to in a special sniggering tone which conveys the fact that people like us know better. The one standing in for him for August isn't quite so bad in the smugness stakes but is a bit shaky on the English language (this evening I heard "historians like you and I").

On the whole, a good idea but with the wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think old Hookie is getting browned off with having to pimp the text messages. He was rattling off one of the usual utterly retarded text competition questions yesterday and followed it up with an announcement that the question was clearly thought up by a Ph.D with an IQ of 187 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The breakfast show is worse than ever, "would you buy as used car from Wayne Rooney, text yes or no. Texts cost 30c". That was yesterday

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The text pimping is irritating alright. Is it written into the presenters' contracts that they have to say "text in 53106 at a cost of 30c" ever 3 minutes or so? It's especially bad in the morning. It sounds like the presenters are chatting in the way people do in the pub, next thing one of them wonders why do spiders have eight legs or something and then you hear the 53106 @30c - again!

Does anybody else think it was inappropriate to have a reporter at the Ronnie Drew funeral today..?

Does anybody else think it was inappropriate to have a reporter at the Ronnie Drew funeral today..?

No. It would have been highly inappropriate not to send one.Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Originally Posted by Dub13

Everyone had a reporter there

TV3 RTE TodayFM Fm104, 98, there were loads of newspaper hacks and snappers as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

All the auld clapped out flappers and luvvies would have been there.

Sells papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

sorry if this has been discussed already but I've had it with Newstalk...they have way too many adverts or they take too many ad breaks.
    I know they are a commercial station but so is TodayFM which does not have as many breaks.
    Also while I'm here, I'm fed up listening to Claire Byrne practically begging people to text them so they can make more money from the 30cent texts arrrrggg!

right, time for Pat Kenny :o
    <rant over>

Give her one though !!

Radio Mad. wrote: »
    No. It would have been highly inappropriate not to send one.Why do you ask?

I just think its the mans funeral give his family and friends some space to grieve,having reporters clawl all over the church is very tabloid like IMO.

Maybe its just me but I don't care what celebs were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

celebs!!!

see post 342.

Bump (hey this was on page 2, we can't have that!)

Eamon Keane now on for two hours. :( At about 12.20 he was lining up a piece on the approaching hurricane in New Orleans, the break came and went and he went to a piece on the M50.

Mike

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Eamon kerane is just doing my head in - he is obsessing about some makey-uppy phrase
    a minister used in passing and now thinks he is being clever by attempting to play dumb and inviting use to text at 30c to disconstruct the said utterance.

FcUK OFF EAMMO!

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Eamon kerane is just doing my head in - he is obsessing about some makey-uppy phrase
    a minister used in passing and now thinks he is being clever by attempting to play dumb and inviting use to text at 30c to disconstruct the said utterance.

FcUK OFF EAMMO!

Mike.

"Roll It Back! 10 secounds back!!That's it!! Did you hear it!! You heard it hear FIRST!!"
    What's he gonna say "I hear Bi-lateral(something or other)before it was famous"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

FcUK OFF EAMMO!

Mike.

I was listening and actually had to turn off as my blood pressure was rising. Jesus wept...give it a break Eamon.

Ronan Collins calmed me down somewhat.

Have they started doing "comedy" bits on the breakfast show?

I heard a woeful mock report yesterday about that big bang experiment where they pretend to interview Stephen Hawking.

Woeful rubbish altogether.

mick_irl wrote: »
    Have they started doing "comedy" bits on the breakfast show?

I heard a woeful mock report yesterday about that big bang experiment where they pretend to interview Stephen Hawking.

Woeful rubbish altogether.

Yes and its brutal,I think its one of the lads who used to be on Spin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yea I noticed that as well,he goes on a brake and the comes back to thank the team and maybe name a winner of a competition,then another brake.More often than not I turn his show off around 6:45.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I've looked at my computer clock a few times wondering if it was wrong but apparently not.

Did anybody hear Hook today...?he was doing one of the Outside broadcasts and the sound is not the best on these at the best of times.They were at a race meeting and hook was doing an interview and a truck was humming away in the background,you could hear it as clear as day and Hook made a couple of reference to it.Apparently it was cleaning the area outside were they were.

Why could someone not just ask the trunk driver to stop for 10 min...it was the most unprofessional piece of radio I have ever heard on a nation station you could barley hear them talk.

Newstalk is going downhill big time and fast.

Did anybody hear Hook today...?he was doing one of the Outside broadcasts and the sound is not the best on these at the best of times.They were at a race meeting and hook was doing an interview and a truck was humming away in the background,you could hear it as clear as day and Hook made a couple of reference to it.Apparently it was cleaning the area outside were they were.

Why could someone not just ask the trunk driver to stop for 10 min...it was the most unprofessional piece of radio I have ever heard on a nation station you could barley hear them talk.

Newstalk is going downhill big time and fast.

I'd have told him to go and truck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Claire Byrne is ignorant and defensive. Especially to anyone who criticising her or an interviewee who doesn't fit her PD agenda (Union kingpins). Gilroy should have stuck to off the ball. His reserachers may be speaking out of his nmouth but he is still not convincing and I feel he is out of his depth. Did anyone else notice how for months he wouldn't let the sports guy talk when he came on for his 5 mins sports update in morning. And most annoying of all they constantly encourage you to call and text and read nothing out. Bring back David Mcwilliams.

Brenda Power is like her articles. Smug and pompous.

Eamonn Keane is a gutter ricki lake style hack. But he does write bile for the Sindo tabloid so he is what he is.

Moncrief is all so 2003 at this stage. Couldn't listen to that fluff anymore. That said he read out many a text for me.

Hook is good and has some interesting guests. But is very slow witted compared to Cooper. Love Mike Graham on fridays tho.

Karen Coleman (sic) is good at what she does. Wasn't she the journo who insulted W. bush?

Norris is a true eccentric and the odd time I hear him a hoot. Don't know if I could handle him regularly though.

Off the ball is very entertaining. I don't even like soccer but really enjoy their sardonic wit and GAA coverage.

Holiday cover is a mixed bag. Richard Aldous is a nice guy and probably too cerebral for hookies listening. Kevin Myers was car crash bad.

Sunday's history program is well done by the anorak brigade even though they get geekily excited by any sexual reference or latest revisionist nonsense (Cleopatra was ugly etc).

Criticism aside. Newstalk is an oasis for me in the desert of crappy Musak stations. I must say Phantom is a great station as well if you reside in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Claire Byrne is ignorant and defensive. Especially to anyone who criticising her or an interviewee who doesn't fit her PD agenda (Union kingpins). Gilroy should have stuck to off the ball. His reserachers may be speaking out of his nmouth but he is still not convincing and I feel he is out of his depth. Did anyone else notice how for months he wouldn't let the sports guy talk when he came on for his 5 mins sports update in morning. And most annoying of all they constantly encourage you to call and text and read nothing out. Bring back David Mcwilliams.

Brenda Power is like her articles. Smug and pompous.

Eamonn Keane is a gutter ricki lake style hack. But he does write bile for the Sindo tabloid so he is what he is.

Moncrief is all so 2003 at this stage. Couldn't listen to that fluff anymore. That said he read out many a text for me.

Hook is good and has some interesting guests. But is very slow witted compared to cooper. Love Mike Graham on fridays tho.

Karen Coleman (sic) is good at what she does. Wasn't she the journo who insulted W. bush?

Norris is a true eccentric and the odd time I hear him a hoot. Don't know if I could handle him regularly though.

Off the ball is very entertaining. I don't even like soccer but really enjoy their sardonic wit and GAA coverage.

Holiday cover is a mixed bag. Richard Aldous is a nice guy and probably too cerebral for hookies listening. Kevin Myers was car crash bad.

Sunday's history program is well done by the anorak brigade even though they get geekily excited by any sexual reference or lastest revisionist nonsense (Cleopatra was ugly etc).

Criticism aside. Newstalk is an oasis for me in the desert of crappy Musak stations. I must say Phantom is a great station as well if you reside in the Dublin area.

Ozziej wrote: »

No. That was Carole Coleman, from RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/news/features/thecolemandiaries/

Karen Coleman would insult Bush if she got near him though!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

They were at a race meeting

Why could someone not just ask the trunk driver to stop for 10 min...it was the most unprofessional piece of radio I have ever heard on a nation station you could barley hear them talk.quote]

That was Listowel race meeting, I was only a few meters away from the OBU at the end of the races, it was outside catering staff (who did not care less about poor old George) that were doing the clean up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement